Afk Plague in the Pavillon

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think there should be some prerequisite to get the rewards.

For example if you want to get the rewards for dolyak race you need to actually complete the race. Anet should make sure individuals contribute “enough” to actually get reward for it.

How would they do this? Make each person responsible for the health that is added for the scaled up boss?

Well what if someone does more than their share, then someone won’t be able to hit their mark.

So scale it to time, if they are supposed to do 200k over 8 mins, then that’s a little over 400 damage per second. So if they keep that up they get it?

Well then what about if people keep bringing in adds and that person is clearing those instead of continuing to tunnel vision the boss? Suddenly they drop to 300 DPS on average for the boss and don’t get credit even though they were helping the whole time?

I’m all for the idea but how would you implement something like that without having a lot of people who are legitimately trying and helping getting caught up in the wash.

Why not? They should put a contribution system. It seemed to work in other games. The higher the contribution the more reward you get.

But, Anet don’t even want to count the condition stack over 25. So I’m not sure if they want to add a contribution system which will put more load on the server.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Well I think i’d be just as kittened if they added more lag. Lose/Lose situation potentially, unless they can come up with a good way of implementing a system.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

anet needs to be tough on these people, a 2 week suspension should help deter it.

I think it would be much less work coming up with a way to fix the issue on the content level.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Another thing to do is tweak the rewards algorithms so that afk autoattacking doesn’t do enough DPS to get rewards. It’ll be fine for people who actually use their skills.

I will ask again. How could this be programmed where it wouldn’t also hurt an active player…….say, someone who is actively helping take down a boss and needs to run to the bathroom quick…..comes back and suddenly their rewards have been diminished because of some ‘auto attack afk’ algorithm that magically determines they were an afker.

What you’re suggesting would be near impossible to program without creating more problems than it fixes, imo.

I am not trying to be combative about this idea…..I just don’t see how it could be done. Programmers can’t just whip some nifty algorithm up that will be able to tell when someone is actually afk, or going to the bathroom, or getting a drink, or talking to a guildie or friend while battling…….would we all have to keep stop watches running so as to make sure that we don’t stand in one spot autoattacking for more than 5 or 10 or 20 seconds?

I just think it’s unreasonable to think that some game programmer can make this problem disappear by writing some sort of wondrous code.

I feel that it is just something that the players have to deal with as best they can.

And, as I have said before….if an afker doesn’t mess up a gold run, I really don’t care if that player gets the same reward that I get. It doesn’t hurt me at all if that afker gets the same reward that I get, imo…..as that afker hasn’t taken anything away from me.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Jerus.4350

Another thing to do is tweak the rewards algorithms so that afk autoattacking doesn’t do enough DPS to get rewards. It’ll be fine for people who actually use their skills.

I will ask again. How could this be programmed where it wouldn’t also hurt an active player…….say, someone who is actively helping take down a boss and needs to run to the bathroom quick…..comes back and suddenly their rewards have been diminished because of some ‘auto attack afk’ algorithm that magically determines they were an afker.

What you’re suggesting would be near impossible to program without creating more problems than it fixes, imo.

Just saying before someone else does… technically that person would be afking…

But still, what about adds? Picking up allies? Lag spikes, or really any other legitimate reason for not attacking the main boss.

Is it really good to promote a "screw em " attitude, where we’d al be fighting to get our own credit ignoring adds, ignoring your downed friends, not using utilities that may greatly help the group but lower your damage contribution.

Also if I load myself with full zerk gear and afk at range how is my damage compared to the cleric/pvt geared guy meleeing?

It’s simply not as easy as people like to make it sound. If someone has a good idea that takes all these issues into account, speak up please, but personally I just don’t know how you’d do it really.

laokoko.7403

I am not trying to be combative about this idea…..I just don’t see how it could be done. Programmers can’t just whip some nifty algorithm up that will be able to tell when someone is actually afk, or going to the bathroom, or getting a drink, or talking to a guildie or friend while battling…….would we all have to keep stop watches running so as to make sure that we don’t stand in one spot autoattacking for more than 5 or 10 or 20 seconds?

I just think it’s unreasonable to think that some game programmer can make this problem disappear by writing some sort of wondrous code.

I feel that it is just something that the players have to deal with as best they can.

So basically once in a blue moon you need to hit the bathroom, so you deserve to get rewards by afking?

If you have to go afk, just go afk, you don’t deserve the rewards. You missed an event, big deal, there’s the next one.

Jerus.4350

Something I think that they could do that would help is have auto attack turn off after say 20-30s of inactivity. If you’re not using other skills it’ll turn off. That way they can’t walk away and continue to attack for minutes. At least that’d prevent these people from killing mobs before the map is ready to kill them all.

If you do use other skills have it continue to keep AA engaged.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

It’s an exploit, it’s meant to be an aid, not a way of getting rewarded while afk’ing.

This is what botting is. being away from the computer and getting rewarded for it.
_
btw these people did it for 3+ runs that was about 35min of afk and getting the gold reward, helping not at all.

Autoattacking does not put you on follow, thus mobs out of range triggers a “halt” in autoattacking.
Furthermore they did not autoattack consecutively for 3+ runs while being afk for 35 minutes because that is just flat impossible. Their character will not begin autoattacking the boss unless they initiate the attack themselves.

Not that I’m defending autoattacking, but calling it an exploit is absolute and utter bovine excrement.

for the likes of pyro and wiggen, it very much is used to exploit the boss.

I think there should be a report feature.

Its very clear when a person doesnt move and only uses one skill for 30+ minutes, that they’re afk. I’m sure anet can see this too.

laokoko.7403

It’s simply not as easy as people like to make it sound. If someone has a good idea that takes all these issues into account, speak up please, but personally I just don’t know how you’d do it really.

I think contribution system, is in many games, so if other games can do it, I don’t see why Anet can’t.

If I’m not wrong, NCsoft’s other game wildstar have it. I know warhammer online have it, before it is shutdown.

People contribute more, should get reward more. Anet penalize people for not killing boss fast enough right? So why wouldn’t people do more damage be reward more.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Something I think that they could do that would help is have auto attack turn off after say 20-30s of inactivity. If you’re not using other skills it’ll turn off. That way they can’t walk away and continue to attack for minutes. At least that’d prevent these people from killing mobs before the map is ready to kill them all.

If you do use other skills have it continue to keep AA engaged.

Now, there’s a good simple solution. I think having a timer on the autoattack option is a great idea. That would take care of a lot of afking.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Easy solution to this: Make this stuff instanced which can be opened by guilds.

Taygus.4571

It’s an exploit, it’s meant to be an aid, not a way of getting rewarded while afk’ing.

This is what botting is. being away from the computer and getting rewarded for it.
_
btw these people did it for 3+ runs that was about 35min of afk and getting the gold reward, helping not at all.

Autoattacking does not put you on follow, thus mobs out of range triggers a “halt” in autoattacking.
Furthermore they did not autoattack consecutively for 3+ runs while being afk for 35 minutes because that is just flat impossible. Their character will not begin autoattacking the boss unless they initiate the attack themselves.

Not that I’m defending autoattacking, but calling it an exploit is absolute and utter bovine excrement.

I think you also missed the part where I said they were auto attacking a skill. (no wep skill 1) but reflect.

And this can be place on aa, without a target.

maybe the simplest fix here would be to limit aa, to wep skill one only?

Jerus.4350

I think contribution system, is in many games, so if other games can do it, I don’t see why Anet can’t.

If I’m not wrong, NCsoft’s other game wildstar have it. I know warhammer online have it, before it is shutdown.

People contribute more, should get reward more. Anet penalize people for not killing boss fast enough right? So why wouldn’t people do more damage be reward more.

Instanced content. That’s how a lot of the other games handle this issue.

They don’t have some convoluted perfect system to prevent these issues. They just let players group up and get away from the toxic elements that exist in the open world.

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

I think you also missed the part where I said they were auto attacking a skill. (no wep skill 1) but reflect.

That was not said in the post I replied to and there is something seriously wrong with distinguishing between autoattacking and autoattacking.

Why would you reply to me twice on the same post, in separate posts? As for this: Would you rather have them just stand and scale up the boss nearby after having autoattacked it the 3 times that is required to get contribution for the boss.. or would you rather have them actually use some form of ability to actually contribute DESPITE being afk?

Personally I support a system like Warhammer Onlines, where only a limited amount of players can obtain the gold and silver contributions at any given time, and who gets it is based on several factors: Healing done, damage done.. revives.. and so forth.

laokoko.7403

Instanced content. That’s how a lot of the other games handle this issue.

They don’t have some convoluted perfect system to prevent these issues. They just let players group up and get away from the toxic elements that exist in the open world.

The chance of them giving us instanced raid is probably really really low. Especially when they said there is no instanced raid when they try to sell the game 2 years ago.

Taygus.4571

That was not said in the post I replied to and there is something seriously wrong with distinguishing between autoattacking and autoattacking.

Why would you reply to me twice on the same post, in separate posts? As for this: Would you rather have them just stand and scale up the boss nearby after having autoattacked it the 3 times that is required to get contribution for the boss.. or would you rather have them actually use some form of ability to actually contribute DESPITE being afk?

Personally I support a system like Warhammer Onlines, where only a limited amount of players can obtain the gold and silver contributions at any given time, and who gets it is based on several factors: Healing done, damage done.. revives.. and so forth.

I would rather they tagged and had the decency to go to the wp.

problem on pyro..is that they AREN’T helping….one guy had set his reflect to behind the group.. for 3 runs!
Thats not helping.. a reflect every 10 or 15 secs, with 0 dps….is not helping.

just using your autoattack on one single skill, is not helping.

(as to why i replied twice.. using phones… and editing has the tendency to mess posts up.)

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

The problem right now is AFKers stay for far too long in this map than say, a WvW map. There was one occasion where I had to suddenly AFK (turned out to be an hour), came back (I was in the middle of the map), and still haven’t disconnected from it.

Whereas I typically disconnect in WvW after like 10 minutes of inactivity or something. Same with PvP maps too I guess.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

This problem really isn’t so hard as people make it out to be. You have a bunch of bosses in an arena. Just lock the players in the arena, and anyone that doesn’t fight, dies. The idea that you can just fire a few shots at the boss, and then leave combat, and still get the reward, is bad design. Then again, the entire in-combat detection has been broken since release. And they are aware of that.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’ve seen this, in several varieties, especially since I specialize in Pyro which is often hit by it. I have mixed feelings on a solution though. I don’t think kicking out AFKers is a good idea overall, because until they fix how you get into maps, there are some maps where you still need to log into them an hour or more before anything is happening there, and it’s cruel to require players to literally twiddle their thumbs for an hour or more or they get kicked off.

I think there’s a more precise solution to this problem though:

1. If you have not moved in the past two minutes, then the game will consider you “AFK.” You will not be booted for this, but you will. . .

2. Not scale the nearby content in any way. As far as the game is concerned, they do not exist.

3. Not receive any rewards, obviously. Even if they are standing right next to the boss fighting team, even if they die and are rezzed, if they do not interact themselves then they get zero credit for anything.

4. (optional) while AFK, they do not trigger a rez prompt, if they fall, they just stay that way and nobody really notices.

5. (super optional) If they die while AFK then they are auto-rezzed to the nearest WP (at cost). This would move them out of the way without kicking them from the map entirely.

The pavilion map does not require a hard capped server, it can stand a solid amount of AFKers, all it requires is that all those within a boss’s radius to pull their own weight. It’s a good idea to hard cap the servers because that means no more yahoos can wander in, but people being AFK in the center don’t hurt the runs’ success. So long as the AFKers are completely ignored, I don’t think they would be a problem.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Ohoni.6057

No, this feature is HORRIBLE, especially in Wildstar but it would be even worse here. The problem is, “contribution” is hard to define. This game already has a “Zerker or bust” problem, but a change like this would make it even worse. I typically play Pyro as a Guardian. That means I spam my attacks whenever possible, but mostly I’m putting Wall up when I can, and Shield of the Avenger when we go on hold. How do you credit my participation? My DPS is far from stellar, I don’t have Zerker gear on, so while I can’t be sure, I imagine at least some of the other players are doing noticeably more DPS than me.

And yet my skills keep everyone else alive (along with the other Mesmers and Guards), not to mention the times when a fireball volley has gotten through, and I’m the last one standing because I know what a “dodge” is, and so I throw up a shield and rez 3-4 people that otherwise would have gotten up far slower, if at all.

Pyro is a boss that pretty much only needs a handful of Mesmers and Guards, and while any other class can participate they are really not necessary or even really useful to have around, and yet a system like Wildstar that divvies up credit based on things like damage dealt or healing done would give some Zerker Ele or something who did a bit more damage (making the boss take fifteen seconds fewer to get to crit before they hold for a minute for the other bosses to catch up), more credit than a Guardian who was absolutely essential to the encounter.

done by now.”

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

A.Net tries to make more and more content that requires coordination (Tequatl, Wurm, Marionette, Knights, …), the problem is that there are way to many people who just care about themselves and their own good. "Oh did my upleveled character just pull 5 veterans to the boss? Well I don’t care I tagged the boss and can go on to the next one :-) ".

It’s kinda weird that this genre got such an influx of egocentric players these days.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

laokoko.7403

No, this feature is HORRIBLE, especially in Wildstar but it would be even worse here. The problem is, “contribution” is hard to define. This game already has a “Zerker or bust” problem, but a change like this would make it even worse. I typically play Pyro as a Guardian. That means I spam my attacks whenever possible, but mostly I’m putting Wall up when I can, and Shield of the Avenger when we go on hold. How do you credit my participation? My DPS is far from stellar, I don’t have Zerker gear on, so while I can’t be sure, I imagine at least some of the other players are doing noticeably more DPS than me.

And yet my skills keep everyone else alive (along with the other Mesmers and Guards), not to mention the times when a fireball volley has gotten through, and I’m the last one standing because I know what a “dodge” is, and so I throw up a shield and rez 3-4 people that otherwise would have gotten up far slower, if at all.

Pyro is a boss that pretty much only needs a handful of Mesmers and Guards, and while any other class can participate they are really not necessary or even really useful to have around, and yet a system like Wildstar that divvies up credit based on things like damage dealt or healing done would give some Zerker Ele or something who did a bit more damage (making the boss take fifteen seconds fewer to get to crit before they hold for a minute for the other bosses to catch up), more credit than a Guardian who was absolutely essential to the encounter.

They can stop putting boss like Pyro.

And if dps dont’ matter. Anet should stop putting dps race content. Since dps obviously matter if you have to kill all the boss in 7 minutes.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

A.Net tries to make more and more content that requires coordination (Tequatl, Wurm, Marionette, Knights, …), the problem is that there are way to many people who just care about themselves and their own good. "Oh did my upleveled character just pull 5 veterans to the boss? Well I don’t care I tagged the boss and can go on to the next one :-) ".

It’s kinda weird that this genre got such an influx of egocentric players these days.

That really isn’t the issue with the Boss Blitz though. Here is what happens: Players enters the pavilion (some perhaps remembering it from last year), and join the biggest group of players. Then they notice that it is taking forever to kill the bosses, and that none of the trash mobs now drop loot. After wasting hours, they are “rewarded” with a few greens from the bronze reward, and realize that something is wrong.

And something definitely is wrong. The problem isn’t with players not organizing, but with the pavilion not communicating that the players need to split up in order to deal with the event-scaling and have a chance at the gold reward. And that’s simply a flawed concept along with a flawed execution on top. It clearly is a design issue.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Right click report for botting GG

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

This wont help at all. You are probably going to shoot yourself into the leg with that since Anet bans people who massively falsly report other people.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Worldbosses are able to be done with a brainless zerg. For the pavillon bosses you need organization. Every player (from 4 up) the boss gains 20% of his basic health (They normally have between 1kk and 1,4kk hp). And when 5 of 11 people are afk its getting really hard to kill him (+140%). Also its unfair for those who are actulaing “working” to get the reward. All we are asking for is a report function for “slacking” or inappropiate behaviour against other players.

If would be to easy of a feature to be abused so there isn’t a chance it would be added. It would be an easy step for people to start reporting anyone for anything: New to an encounter miss the tell get downed (reported for ‘inappropriate behavior) ressing an ally in a dps race encounter (reported for ’inappropriate behavior), didn’t get a tag on during a event (report everyone else for ’inappropriate behavior).

For that option to exist there would have to unprecedented level of punishment for false reports. Something like 1 day suspension for the first up to deletion of the account for repeat abuser so that would not be good for a business model.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

This problem really isn’t so hard as people make it out to be. You have a bunch of bosses in an arena. Just lock the players in the arena, and anyone that doesn’t fight, dies. The idea that you can just fire a few shots at the boss, and then leave combat, and still get the reward, is bad design. Then again, the entire in-combat detection has been broken since release. And they are aware of that.

“Dies”? Dying does not prevent you from getting event rewards.

You mentioned that the design of the Boss Blitz is at fault. I would have to agree to that, but not for the reasons you stated. Having the rewards tied to an event that requires you to kill all of the bosses is a good choice so that people cannot pick and choose which bosses they want to kill.

The big difference between the Boss Blitz and pretty much every event in the game is that your rewards depend on the performance of others. So even if you afk your way through it, if everyone else is pulling their weight, you end up with gold. If you ask me, they should not guarantee a Gold like that. Instead of getting that guaranteed Gold, your reward should be up to Gold based on the events that you got rewarded for. Note that it should only take into account the events that you participated in, as the structure of Boss Blitz is that you’re not supposed to take part in all 6 boss fights. That and the requirements for Gold should be made stricter, which is a more general issue with event rewards throughout the game.

The thing is, some afk’ers are ridiculously easy to spot. The ones that are just standing around or running against a wall for a long period of time. However, simply autoattacking a boss should not be counted as “afk”. Especially not when the bosses are immune to all forms of hard and soft CC, making a lot of skills useless.

Ohoni.6057

If would be to easy of a feature to be abused so there isn’t a chance it would be added. It would be an easy step for people to start reporting anyone for anything: New to an encounter miss the tell get downed (reported for ‘inappropriate behavior) ressing an ally in a dps race encounter (reported for ’inappropriate behavior), didn’t get a tag on during a event (report everyone else for ’inappropriate behavior).

For that option to exist there would have to unprecedented level of punishment for false reports. Something like 1 day suspension for the first up to deletion of the account for repeat abuser so that would not be good for a business model.

They can check the logs though. They don’t ban anyone just because they were reported, but if they can tell that, say, an avatar was moving around in what seemed to be a robotic manner, somehow distinct enough that it couldn’t just be a human that was smooth with his rotations, then they could surely tell if an avatar were just standing dead still in an area where players should not be dead still (like right in the middle of a Pavilion slice). They can certainly check if a player is AFK where they shouldn’t be (even if the player is “clever” and has them running into a wall or something).

done by now.”

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

My brother and I usually scout 3 boss each, we are using Maximum output build. What we do is we start on a boss, (usually boom boom and wiggins) wait to hear which boss struggle and move to it. It’s fun how every time we just see in map chat " never mind it’s going down quick".

People don’t realize how much those safe spot, auto attack, ranged are hurting the event. Specially against bosses like wiggins, boom boom, kurai, shurrak who have such simple mechanics. 1 good player in a maximum DPS build is worth 4 of those auto-attacking guys.

It’s sad how usually 6-15 players ends up carrying the 85 players who don’t want to give an effort.

Best example. The poor warrior at wiggins, tanking all the pistol daze, attack, bringing him back to the ramp every 25%, dodging every AoE. while 3 mesmers with greatsword could be helping him with feedback/warden but they rather just press 1 once and watch tv.

(edited by Trice.4598)

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

What do you expect people to do if you only want a handful of players on each boss? If you want them to be active then you end up upscaling the boss making it harder to get gold. Players who are not part of the kill squad that want credit have no better option than to tag the boss and then run away to prevent upscaling.

Jerus.4350

What do you expect people to do if you only want a handful of players on each boss? If you want them to be active then you end up upscaling the boss making it harder to get gold. Players who are not part of the kill squad that want credit have no better option than to tag the boss and then run away to prevent upscaling.

They scale up fine, if everyone carries their own weight. Thing is most don’t it seems. It’s a shame, i’ve had a few golds with 3 mins left, I’m pretty sure we could even do faster, but most are less than a minute left in gold because it’s easier to just range and afk most bosses. /shrug I guess it’s ok. if you’re not really set up for the bosses or would prefer to afk, I’d rather you get credit and get back to the middle than stay on the bosses afk attacking.

Honestly it’s just become a fact of life in CP, there will be people leaching and people afking, just have to make the best of it.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

If I were designing the boss blitz, I would have added a 7th event area that occupies the center of the pavilion. Mobs of the various 6 varieties continually spawn and seek to capture the center ring (where the WP is). If they succeed, all 6 of the boss events FAIL immediately and NO REWARD is given.

This defense event would allow the players who are not fighting the bosses to contribute towards the event as well without the need to tag a boss or afk in the middle.

I’d also make all of the event circles one big event, so that you’d only ever get event credit once per cycle (meaning pick one circle and stay there as moving to the others won’t get you any additional EXP, Karma, coins, or other rewards).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Jerus.4350

If I were designing the boss blitz, I would have added a 7th event area that occupies the center of the pavilion. Mobs of the various 6 varieties continually spawn and seek to capture the center ring (where the WP is). If they succeed, all 6 of the boss events FAIL immediately and NO REWARD is given.

This defense event would allow the players who are not fighting the bosses to contribute towards the event as well without the need to tag a boss or afk in the middle.

I’d also make all of the event circles one big event, so that you’d only ever get event credit once per cycle (meaning pick one circle and stay there as moving to the others won’t get you any additional EXP, Karma, coins, or other rewards).

I like it.

Posted by: dansamy.3752

dansamy.3752

I like it.

Me too. Maybe make the center regular mobs instead of veteran or champion. That way your uplevel toons can contribute more meaningfully.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

…I don’t think you know what botting actually is.

Posted by: kanarek.8025

kanarek.8025

It’s the inevitable conclusion to all that is good. People will find ways to exploit and use minimum effort to get what they want.

AFKers and uplevel leechers are two of the most prevalent groups that will usually make any Gold Medal map implode into obscurity. I just had it happen today with what was initially a TTS map.

There really isn’t any solution for this aside from making these events a large group instance, which I don’t see this ever happen considering pretty much nothing in this game is like that (I guess you can say WvW and EotM is kind of like that, but still you can’t really control your guild members getting in at all).

Uplevel leechers? Really?

Then you are entitled leecher. Much worse from any angle.

Another note for the developers.

Open world content is meant to be played by everyone. That’s a major part of the reason this design is so flawed as-is, even now. It’s offensive to label people who go in below 80 as “leechers” when clearly the content allows them to be there. Don’t blame them; blame Anet.

I joined a taxi to a gold run that was advertising “NO UPLEVELS” and, hilariously, that person was level 73. I didn’t even make the attempt to join.

I’d like to note that with one exception, I’ve brought all level 80s to the Pavilion. I ran it briefly on a level 55 early on, and didn’t find it to be worth my time.

This is targeted at Tachii, and not MikaHR, if it’s not clear.

They would be a leech if they have lv80s but choose to level and tag every boss on the Boss Blitz for quick levels.

I wouldn’t blame the uplevels that only has one character and finds the Boss Blitz fun, but the uplevel leechers (I clearly don’t mean all uplevels are leeching) are way worse than lv80 leechers. (I mean specifically those that contribute little to DPS, and is only there to purposely gain quick experience. Also, if you’re an uplevel and using gears way below your level while clearly knowing the mechanics of this game, then you’re not contributing to this than the uplevel who has gear of their level.)

Speaking of “uplevels aren’t a problem”, ever ran Boomboom with the majority of your group being uplevels? The loss of DPS was clear on that one.

Also, do explain why I’m considered an “entitled leecher”, please also define what leecher is @ Mika. For me, a leech is someone who contributes very little and gains much more than what effort they contribute by depending on other people to do the majority of their work for them. I will make it clear, don’t misunderstand my words for saying all uplevels are leeching. But there are clearly uplevels who are, and those are the worst. Not much worse than a level80 AFKer leecher, but still one of the worst.

Uplevers are not problem. Problem are players with lower gear level then character level. And I can tell you, that you can see lvl 80 characters with this bad gear as well. I level up warrior (50 → 80) in pavilion and after run I allways open my bags and use green (rare) loot gear. Remember you have in each pavilion slackers who just target boss and stay upstairs → no res downed, don’t take damage → just upscale event and autoatack → completelly useless. Sometimes I think that I should report them for botting because I am not sure If its human or bot – no reply for whisper + never donate + never move → you can see them on pyro and wiggin..

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If people upscale the event, and cause it to become too hard, the event-scaling is to blame, and not the players.

Heck, players shouldn’t even be aware of event scaling. It should be a background process!

Posted by: kanarek.8025

kanarek.8025

If people upscale the event, and cause it to become too hard, the event-scaling is to blame, and not the players.

Heck, players shouldn’t even be aware of event scaling. It should be a background process!

Do you think that events are balanced for players who use only ranged weapon and autoatack? And for players who are only on positions where boss can’t attack them?

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think the question already contains a presumed answer.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It is obvious that they are trying to make fights more interesting, encourage working together, and have something that isn’t just another zerg. It’s an experiment. They will see what worked, what didn’t, and then tweak it some more for the next experiment.

No point in getting all annoyed with them. They are having to try and work with both constraints of the game itself and with human nature. I’m sure it is extremely hard to design something that can’t be messed up by someone, somehow.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Ohoni.6057

Ideally, yes, I totally agree, but practically, we have the game we have, so people that know they are dragging everyone else down should at least tag and bow out.

done by now.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This wont help at all. You are probably going to shoot yourself into the leg with that since Anet bans people who massively falsly report other people.

You need to prove that claim (and you can’t). How are you falsely reporting if someone is standing still for 10 minutes after hitting the boss 5 times?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Jerus.4350

You need to prove that claim (and you can’t). How are you falsely reporting if someone is standing still for 10 minutes after hitting the boss 5 times?

By definition that wouldn’t be botting. Botting would mean that they aren’t there but the character is still doing stuff. So if they’re standing still for 10 minutes they aren’t doing anything therefor not botting simply being abusive in the nature of leaching off other people.. unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a report option for that type of detrimental play.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

Yes you can, it is written when you report them, take some time to read. It is also written they’re taking chat logs into account and not unsubstantiated player reports. So yeah, report em if you want, get yourself a ban.

Whether you like it or not, people can go afk, and they will given how boring the event gets. Because it is their right, and banning them from a game in which they probably have invested a crazy amount of hours and some money because they were “afk at an event” is just plainly stupid. Yeah, they might make the event fail sometimes, does it give you ANY right ? It does not. 6 players can just be bad turreters and make Tequatl fail. Yet you don’t have, by ANY means, the right to report them. I don’t think you realize that banning someone because he “akitten and made me have 8 bags instead of 10”, thus wasting 50 €/$/whatever + hundreds/thousands of hours played + gems bought perhaps is like ultra childish. And I don’t think you realize that there are people paid to review all those reports and that spamming them greatly reduce their QoL at work just because they have to go through so much stupid reports.

Yeah, I don’t like getting afk, I don’t like uplevled on these events, but you know what ? In the end, I don’t. I just don’t. Care. Okay, I’ll have to find another one, and then ? It’s not even rare, only thing missing is the queue function to join another server. In no ways would I report someone who’s going afk, I don’t even care if they make me get silver instead of gold, really, 2 bags, what is it to you, is it worth more than what the person invested ?

Let that be a teaching to ANet, make a queue to join servers so it’s not that annoying, create living bosses and not bosses that get boring ultra quickly (but still reward so much that everyone wants it’s piece of the cake and everyone will do it by the most simple way). I’m so fed up with all the rage in mapchat, feel like I’m playing on some teletubies wars or LoL or I don’t know what, where everyone is a toddler and babbles its rage.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Taygus.4571

Yes you can, it is written when you report them, take some time to read. It is also written they’re taking chat logs into account and not unsubstantiated player reports. So yeah, report em if you want, get yourself a ban.

Whether you like it or not, people can go afk, and they will given how boring the event gets. Because it is their right, and banning them from a game in which they probably have invested a crazy amount of hours and some money because they were “afk at an event” is just plainly stupid. Yeah, they might make the event fail sometimes, does it give you ANY right ? It does not. 6 players can just be bad turreters and make Tequatl fail. Yet you don’t have, by ANY means, the right to report them. I don’t think you realize that banning someone because he “akitten and made me have 8 bags instead of 10”, thus wasting 50 €/$/whatever + hundreds/thousands of hours played + gems bought perhaps is like ultra childish. And I don’t think you realize that there are people paid to review all those reports and that spamming them greatly reduce their QoL at work just because they have to go through so much stupid reports.

Yeah, I don’t like getting afk, I don’t like uplevled on these events, but you know what ? In the end, I don’t. I just don’t. Care. Okay, I’ll have to find another one, and then ? It’s not even rare, only thing missing is the queue function to join another server. In no ways would I report someone who’s going afk, I don’t even care if they make me get silver instead of gold, really, 2 bags, what is it to you, is it worth more than what the person invested ?

Let that be a teaching to ANet, make a queue to join servers so it’s not that annoying, create living bosses and not bosses that get boring ultra quickly (but still reward so much that everyone wants it’s piece of the cake and everyone will do it by the most simple way). I’m so fed up with all the rage in mapchat, feel like I’m playing on some teletubies wars or LoL or I don’t know what, where everyone is a toddler and babbles its rage.

I more have a problem with people who use the “auto-attack” on a skill like reflect (doesnt require a target).
And leave they’re character like that, to me, this is botting, you are setting a key so you can go away. You are not pressing that key, just because it’s an ingame option, doesn’t mean it should be used so you can leave the computer, generally for 30-45min at a time.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Autoattacking is not botting.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I more have a problem with people who use the “auto-attack” on a skill like reflect (doesnt require a target).
And leave they’re character like that, to me, this is botting, you are setting a key so you can go away. You are not pressing that key, just because it’s an ingame option, doesn’t mean it should be used so you can leave the computer, generally for 30-45min at a time.

You do realize that the auto attack was added for that very reason right? So you don’t have to spam the attack button, and just activate it once. If it is going on for 30-45 mins on the same enemy, then the enemy is just way too strong. No boss fight should ever last beyond 30 minutes.

There’s not even much wrong with it. Attacking with the first attack is pretty effective in this game. But that is not botting. Botting is when you have an automated program play the game for you.

Taygus.4571

You do realize that the auto attack was added for that very reason right? So you don’t have to spam the attack button, and just activate it once. If it is going on for 30-45 mins on the same enemy, then the enemy is just way too strong. No boss fight should ever last beyond 30 minutes.

There’s not even much wrong with it. Attacking with the first attack is pretty effective in this game. But that is not botting. Botting is when you have an automated program play the game for you.

It was NOT created for you to set and leave. And it’s on a SKILL, that doesn’t require an enemy target. Guard: reflect, ie 30-45 min, was about 4 boss blitz rounds.
And it’s exactly what it is,
setting auto attack so that you can leave the game, is having an automated program play for you.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Go ahead and report everyone that autoattacks.

And i mean…..everyone.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I don’t recall, did ArenaNet ever take action against the Battle of Lion’s Arch AFKers?

If so, then you are safe to report suspected AFK leechers.
If not, then you probably ought not report as you may be at risk for action against your account for false reports.

Server: Devona’s Rest