[Feedback Thread] New Crown Pavilion First Impression [merged]

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

I’ve gotten gold over a dozen times. The loot is good. Also you can trade tokens for equipment boxes for even more loot.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: RottenRagamuffin.3159

RottenRagamuffin.3159

I’ve gotten gold over a dozen times. The loot is good. Also you can trade tokens for equipment boxes for even more loot.

Are you a member of a large guild?

(SBI)

Posted by: shanan.8594

shanan.8594

So if this is the first release the chinese get, I would be mad if I were them. Not setting a very good standard. well they did release a panda for them. I was wondering if they didn’t let the loot drop cause of the gold farmers that may pop up from china. I did the Pavilion for a little while and was sad. Not sure what to say but just waiting for the next release. Bright side: it can only get better from here right?

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

A simple improvement that could do wonders would be to display ALL the bosses life bars at the same time regardless of the zone you’re in.
So if you see a life bar that does not go down, go there !

A second one would be to have the number of players in each area displayed as well, but I doubt that is even possible.

I agree that life bars would be useful. Although I suspect that some of the more obtuse players would just Zerg to whichever boss had the lowest health bar.

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

Hey all, just a quick note. Earning higher tiers of reward in the Boss Blitz in the Queen’s Pavilion is a great way to earn Festival Tokens, and Queen’s Gauntlet tickets – the rewards that the other activities within the festival give as well. If you check your inventory, you should see the tokens & tickets you have received.

Load into the zone. Boss timer has already expired.
Can’t get into a better zone, because Megaservers.
Spend 10 minutes on each boss and 30 minutes on Boom Boom Baines. Because zergs + scaling = huge boss health pool.
Get 20 festival tokens, 10 gauntlet tickets, 2 champ bags, and 1 green.

I could have done pretty much any other content in the game and felt more rewarded, especially considering the time spent.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Spend 10 minutes on each boss.

You’re doing it wrong.

Do one boss and you get credit for the event. Let the mindless Zerg finish the event the hard way. Don’t bother joining any fight with more than a dozen players. You get the same rewards as if you slogged through each boss.

Because of the scaling, you’re actually helping by going AFK once there are too many players.

If you can get a few players of moderate intelligence to start a boss out of order, even better. The event rewards you for killing a boss before the Zerg gets there, and it helps the Zerg too.

(edited by Wanderer.3248)

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

If you want to play in the Boss Blitz, then read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/267r7g/blitz_setupboss_guide/

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

you cannot divorce reward from game design, If you do, you will make a bad game.

its not a one or the other thing, reward design is part of game design, an INTEGRAL PART.

If the only way to enjoy a game, is to ignore the rules/rewards the people set up, it means they made a bad game. and by taking their basic gameplay and altering the rules/rewards you could make a superior game.

If I interpret this correct, you mean that as long as champ train in FGS is such high rewards, having such low rewards on an event such as this makes no sense?

Well, two things:

1. Rewards are pretty high at 48-52 champ bags per hour + 410 or so tokens per hour + >100 tickets per hour. That’s nearing 1 champ bag per minute.
  2. Would you prefer devs to never fix any reward scaling because “all the other stuff is still there”? They would need to do everything in one gargantuan patch then, I can’t see that work out well. Champ loot being unbalanced every since the buff, dungeon rewards being out of whack, nothing about this changes that the old pavillion rewards were silly, and the new ones genuinely reward working together.

I do think that a) coordination is needlessly difficult due to the event popup not being as good as it could be and b) Silver/Bronze shouldn’t take as long. Maybe bosses slowly lose HP as the reward tier goes down or so. So that Bronze is 15 minutes instead of 25.

you were saying that rewards dont matter i am saying that it is part of good design.

I honestly dont think the rewards for this event, at a high level are bad, i do think the worst case scenario is probably poorly designed, people would probably all get hit by laser beam than have it go on for 40 minutes and give the same reward they would have got for 20 minutes.

when you imply rewards dont matter that touches on a lot of other facets of the game whose reward design is not helping reinforce the game design.

Posted by: Snaekolf.5973

Snaekolf.5973

I’ve was able to finish my LS achievement tonight. I still think the design of the BB is flawed. The groups I got tonight weren’t any better at clearing the bosses in time, I got bronze all three times I ran it. But, at least people weren’t bailing on it like last night.

I’m done with BB now. I’l leave this thread with some positive comments:

1. Loot – I was able to get a sweet Queen’s Greatbow with the festival ticket. I appreciate Anet letting us get a great weapon skin from completing the event, instead of rng tickets. Very well done. No little loot for one big one….nice trade actually.
2. Dolyak racing was a blast.
3. I appreciate being able to get some of the special nodes and back pieces I missed from previous LS chapters.

Winslow Arden – 80 – Thief
Mintari Le Voss – 80 – Mesmer
Winslow Heer – 80 – Ranger

Posted by: TheFallenAngel.1320

TheFallenAngel.1320

I got ported into arena, with5 gambits on (e.g.5 lots tikets) with 20 minutes of bird blindness from ogre…

Posted by: Naglifar.1684

Naglifar.1684

TheFallenAngel.1320 should have rolled before hand rofl

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Did it twice with TxS yesterday – and they stayed at it – and the income is really really good. It just needs to be organized. The short downtime in-between also gives ample time to grab a drink or fool around a bit, while the fights are relaxed enough to allow chatting on TS.

Really, I understand the players who wanted to go there solo and run around AA-farming for crafting mats are angry the place is no longer farming heaven, but I don’t think the basic design is bad. The UI representation is pretty shoddy, granted. It’s missing:

• A way to see the HP of all bosses, anywhere in the zone.
  • A way to see the number of players at each boss, anywhere in the zone.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Did it twice with TxS yesterday – and they stayed at it – and the income is really really good. It just needs to be organized. The short downtime in-between also gives ample time to grab a drink or fool around a bit, while the fights are relaxed enough to allow chatting on TS.

Really, I understand the players who wanted to go there solo and run around AA-farming for crafting mats are angry the place is no longer farming heaven, but I don’t think the basic design is bad. The UI representation is pretty shoddy, granted. It’s missing:

• A way to see the HP of all bosses, anywhere in the zone.
  • A way to see the number of players at each boss, anywhere in the zone.

Any open world content that discourages vast portions of the zone from participating actively in that content is bad design. Period. If they want small groups, the event should facilitate that. People should not be punished with lesser rewards because they wanted to participate.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Any open world content that discourages vast portions of the zone from participating actively in that content is bad design. Period. If they want small groups, the event should facilitate that. People should not be punished with lesser rewards because they wanted to participate.

People should be punished with lesser rewards if they are doing it wrong. Period.

That is not to say as what is said before, that you need to tell players they need to split up and how many players are at each boss. We know it’s possible in WvW.

Although, it’s ridiculous how much handholding people need these days.

That said, I think the scaling of the bosses is probably fine, but the bigger the zerg, the more people doing afk damage, not using their skills, ignoring mechanics, dying, etc.

It also becomes harder to see.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

Hey all, just a quick note. Earning higher tiers of reward in the Boss Blitz in the Queen’s Pavilion is a great way to earn Festival Tokens, and Queen’s Gauntlet tickets – the rewards that the other activities within the festival give as well. If you check your inventory, you should see the tokens & tickets you have received.

So by using Great Jungle Wurm style coordination to get a gold reward, the only reward we get is tokens for buying skins that we already have from doing Living Story the last time around, and Queen’s Gauntlet tickets for entering fights and getting achievements that we already have from doing Living Story the last time around.

slow clap

look who has no clue of the wurm mechanic. the worm mechanics are a bit mor complicated then jsut spplitting up into 6 groups and then basht he bosses.

Posted by: ShroomOneUp.6913

ShroomOneUp.6913

Okay i played the pavilion and the the problems are following:

FIRST OFF everybody despite the lack of organisation just spends money to heal-o-tron. they just trigger the event without enough people around or people beeing organized.

secound: without enough people and lack of coordination only two and i repeat" ONLY TWO" groups form

thrid: these onll two groups do exactly the wrong thing, well and they have to. they zerg the bosses one after another.
and the first two bosses go msotly down in the gold reward time.
but then all the othe rbosses get their abilities adding more difficulty to them allready.

fourth: if they groups are smart enough they stay sperated. however thats not the case msot of the time and after two or three bosses the groups join together forming a zerg bigneough to trigger the anti zerg scaling and the bosses get even harder. resulting in even longer periods to kill them.

fifth: the lack of understanding the bosses themselfs.
while some are not much of a hassle like the charr boss and the pirate one. asoon we get to ogre or boom boom people ignore OBVIOUS mechnics. people need to take alot at what they hit.
the ogre hasa bird shield tha can only be broken with bird food. and boom boom hasa healing turret that need to be damaned SIMULTANIOUSLY to with her.
i didn´t do the destroyer yet but i its probably not that complicated either.

YOU players need to do the following:

-stop spending gold to heal-o-tron. aslong you don´t organized six groups with 15-20. don´t even try.

- FORM six groups for kittens sake. there are six areas six bosses. how is that not obvious with the time constrained and the obvious OP scaling when you zerg one boss?

-with six groups with the formerly nammed amount of people bosses do NOT scale to impossible difficulty. they are killable in the godl reward time. i have seen it with every boss even i didn´t participate yet in the destroyer.

-if there is one group finshed before everyone else, and there is one group still sruggeling, DON`T GO THERE AS THE ENTIRE GROUP. do not send more then 5 max. there to keep the scaling in a small range. the rest can either go to other bosses or jsut wait depending on hwo far the bosses are downed. to large groups trigger the anti zerg difficulty. help if it doesn´t make the boss harder.

-take a look at the update announcment and read what the bosses can do. the update release said what bosses can do for their for most feature. from there i learned that boom boom needs to be dealt with her turret thats heals her.
or before you charge into a boss LOOCK whats around him. specialy with the ogre you have birds and bird seeds laying around .maybe they interact with each other and make it easier to stay alive and dmg the boss.
in short learn the encounter. yes you can go to the current constant unnessacary event trigger BS and look at those bsoses learn the basic mechanics adn then return prepared for a real try.

unless you do these easy steps you will never achiv gold reward and never get loot.
raiders in wow don´t get loot either when they wipe. and when they wipe its either they have bad coordination or they took SO LONG the boss enrages and kills thems.

behappy that these bosses do NOT enrage. unless they kill you and the regenerate instantly

Carighan.6758

There’s no punishment for wanting to participate.
There’s not even punishment for clumping up, you take X time and get Y rewards.
Only, if you then improve your play and organize, you get Y*4 rewards in X/5 time, 20 times the efficiency. You’d think that’d be enough reason for pretty much everyone to be curious how to do it right (Especially because it’s still only AA-combat + the occasional dodge).

The one real issue is how bad the UI for the event is. It also means players have to hear from other players how to do the event properly, which means the first time anyone is there they’ll contribute to lesser rewards for everyone (and yes, that is really bad design).
If the UI told you that splitting up evenly is the key to victory, and showed all HP bars and how many players are at each boss, then this’d be much less obtuse for the average newcomer.

But really, there’s absolutely no punishment for participating. There’s extra rewards for playing smart instead of brainless, which is what we constantly ask of ANet (well actually we ask them to more or less remove zerging, but they instead do it via softer reward scaling, even if the scale is kinda harsh in this case).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Laidari is too much overpowered. Wasted ~70 tickets, 10g and all festival tokens to get absolutely NOTHING from her. She needs to cripple less, have 2 at max inv buffs and spam less red fields. HP nerf would be welcomed as well.

I am trying to kill her for 2 days already and Im seriously out of patience for this game.. aNET please do something about this. Thanks.

wasted the same, 70 ticktes,… and I am NOT going back to her.

Its ok, you dont need to beat her. (what bugs me most isnt the mechanics, but the timer..making it a dps race… and giving the middle finger to any other builds)

Carighan.6758

The Liadri fight achievement even specifically says that it won’t count for the meta. If you don’t want to do her, don’t do her. And if you want to, decide whether it’s worth the time and practice required.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, after playing a bit, I’ll add my thoughts to this thread.

-The Pavilion
I like the changes to the bosses, and the needing to split up to take them out. I haven’t been in one that has gotten gold yet, but it’s still interesting to take some of them on. I like that each is a little different, mechanics wise, and not everyone has figured them out yet. For example, a lot of the people I’ve been with haven’t figured out that on the Ogre, you need a couple people throwing seed to split the birds to the sides away from him, while everyone else hits him. AoE is not your friend there, since hitting the birds kills you pretty quickly.

I am disappointed that the mobs don’t give essentially any loot or experience. They could at least drop some. Sure, they occasionally drop a gauntlet ticket or a festival coin. I’ve even gotten a bag and a leather strap once or twice, but Anet didn’t need to crack down quite so much I don’t think. They went too far they other way this time. They need to be somewhere in the middle, imo. Lengthen the spawn time of mobs when the event isn’t running, up the loot halfway between the then and now, maybe add some hint pop ups for the bosses when you face them, and maybe add like a 5g reward for getting the gold kill time (which is what, 7 minutes for all 6 bosses?).

-The gauntlet
I didn’t do this last year. I tried, but I didn’t have a variety of 80s to do it on, so I said screw it. I do have a few 80s now, so I gave it a shot. It’s pretty interesting. Sometimes rather annoying and frustrating, especially when I lag. I absolutely can’t beat liadri, so I guess that means I suck. Still, it was…interesting, but definitely doesn’t hold any replay-ability for me. I haven’t gotten anything except more gauntlet tickets and tokens from it, and aspect arena is far more entertaining (with a lot less frustration) for the same amount of token gain. If the back piece recipe were a little more prevalent a drop, or doing those fights repeatedly gave me something ‘more,’ then it might make them worth doing more than just the once (or twice) for the various achievement points. The AP just isn’t enough motivation for me to do the additional things like meatless murder or the various gambits considering the likeliness of me getting anything else worthwhile is about as good as a snowflake’s chance in hell….

Just my 2c.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Micco.2579

Micco.2579

Please excuse my ignorance but am I missing something? So far, except for the pvp stuff, all the events seem to be just another exercise in tedium. Long, boring, tedious, costly, and little to no reward. Even the achievements seem to be lackluster. I really loved the Marionette events, but the stuff I have seen in the Pavilion is just a pain.

Micco

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

pav is actually decent reward wise, if people play properly and get gold.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I haven’t been in the Pavilion much but here’s my feedback anyway.

It’s good that the bosses are a little different from last year and I like their abilities.
It’s good that players have to react a bit more.
It’s bad that graphic flare still prevents me from seeing anything to react to.
It’s good that GW2 has open access to events.
It’s bad that open access players never have enough organization to complete them.
It’s bad that GW2 lacks the social/organization functions suited to these events.
It’s bad that most players will get such poor rewards that they will not return.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

There’s no punishment for wanting to participate.
There’s not even punishment for clumping up, you take X time and get Y rewards.
Only, if you then improve your play and organize, you get Y*4 rewards in X/5 time, 20 times the efficiency. You’d think that’d be enough reason for pretty much everyone to be curious how to do it right (Especially because it’s still only AA-combat + the occasional dodge).

The one real issue is how bad the UI for the event is. It also means players have to hear from other players how to do the event properly, which means the first time anyone is there they’ll contribute to lesser rewards for everyone (and yes, that is really bad design).
If the UI told you that splitting up evenly is the key to victory, and showed all HP bars and how many players are at each boss, then this’d be much less obtuse for the average newcomer.

But really, there’s absolutely no punishment for participating. There’s extra rewards for playing smart instead of brainless, which is what we constantly ask of ANet (well actually we ask them to more or less remove zerging, but they instead do it via softer reward scaling, even if the scale is kinda harsh in this case).

I agree that the UI should be improved to facilitate this event, but I still say that the game is punishing people who want to participate in the fighting. Not only that, but it’s not just the people who want to join in the fights getting punished, it’s the people desperately trying to explain that going to “help” with a boss is actually not at all helpful. Even ten people not listening to map can make the entire zone suffer. Explain to me how that’s not punitive.

This isn’t about playing “smart.” It’s about being responsible for how 90 random people choose to play the event.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Micco.2579

Micco.2579

I totally agree with this post.

I haven’t been in the Pavilion much but here’s my feedback anyway.

It’s good that the bosses are a little different from last year and I like their abilities.
It’s good that players have to react a bit more.
It’s bad that graphic flare still prevents me from seeing anything to react to.
It’s good that GW2 has open access to events.
It’s bad that open access players never have enough organization to complete them.
It’s bad that GW2 lacks the social/organization functions suited to these events.
It’s bad that most players will get such poor rewards that they will not return.

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

So again unlike most people here I’ve liked the updates lately. That said, the pavilion is terrible. It’s dying at a record rate because there’s almost no reason to do it more than once, the kills give you 1 ticket or 1 token (Really one freaking token how is that even a reward). I like some of the mechanics to it, making bosses stronger to encourage people to split up, giving them different mechanics for each one makes it interesting, but absolutely no reward for it so after seeing it the 1 time (or more if you want the blitz achievement) it was instantly tedious. Can’t even let it drop more tokens so we can get something from the barterer in the cliffs? Edit: Forgot to mention but since this was in addition to the bazaar it’s soooo much easier just waiting for sparkling crystal run or dolyak race for an easier ~45 tokens. Most of the pavilion runs takes so long you could probably do one of each (maybe even 2 of one) before the one run finishes.

(edited by XDeathShadowX.2619)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You don’t even need to be a member of a large guild. If you join halfway, you just look around and ask how many people are at each boss. 0-10? Join it. 10> go to another boss.

If its a fresh event, just gather yourself into 6 groups.

I gave up, not because the event mechanics is bad or anything, but because after spending 30mins explaining why you don’t zerg them and how to get gold multiple times, all that happens is people just zerg up and ignore you.

The once I succeeded convincing a small group to split up, we took one of the bosses down quicker than the blob next to us, and I’m all like ‘see?’, yet no one followed suit.

I don’t even know how is this actually possible. If I grab a bunch of 5 year old kids and tell them to split into 6 groups on the playground, they can probably do it. Apparently we can’t.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: davadude.6017

davadude.6017

I love seeing all the Queensdale champ farmer people having trouble with this event. Difficult, eh?

-If quickly coordinating six groups before the event, it’s easy to do.
-Rewards are under par, gold should be very rewarding , even doing guild runs makes it difficult. PUGs usually get Silver, but by 30 seconds of gold.
-Implement these boss mechanics into the world bosses, far more enjoyable to HAVE to actively play.

davadude – Ego Sum Promptus

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I love seeing all the Queensdale champ farmer people having trouble with this event. Difficult, eh?

-If quickly coordinating six groups before the event, it’s easy to do.
-Rewards are under par, gold should be very rewarding , even doing guild runs makes it difficult. PUGs usually get Silver, but by 30 seconds of gold.
-Implement these boss mechanics into the world bosses, far more enjoyable to HAVE to actively play.

I believe the issues to this event has really little to do with champ trains, and more to do with the inability of large random numbers of people to work together, limited tools to do so, conflicting goals(some are simply trying to get achievements and don’t care about gold), and some of the megaservers being underpopulated being a recent one.

I don’t want things to be nerfed, and I think the rewards are fine, all I would like is better coordination tools/features.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I came here to say that I have 0 in game gold, so I came to see the new event. I have done the boss chain event and got some garbage reward. and a lots of ticket that gives me 0 rewards. And I still have 0 in game gold… This event is not rewarding gold, you can only lose gold in the event. Please remove garbage from the game and give us some rewards so we can be rich and famous when event comes.
Yes I know there are other ways to make gold. But I am talking about this patch events.

Posted by: mehcetylene.2376

mehcetylene.2376

Having finished the Festival meta achievement and going through the gauntlet again, I have no interest in going back to the Queen’s Pavilion because it’s not fun. Boss Blitz organization is hit-or-miss, mostly miss. Even when people attempt to organize, no one else listens and people end up becoming frustrated, which means they either quit, grief, or talk trash in map chat.

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

All I did was finish the achievements and haven’t gone back. There’s no reason. The boss blitz is challenging, but not worth the time and frustration(griefers who bring trains of vets in constantly as an example).

But as it is, this was not as enjoyable as it was when they first introduced it. ANeT is basically adopting the “Thou shalt not have fun” mantra in much of the content that has or will exist.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

First step for improving the Pavilion: stop upscaling the bosses once the boss blitz timer has finished.

Any player who comes into the Pavilion after the blitz time has finished is stuck looking at a zone with stupidly scaled bosses and no new events happening until those bosses are cleared. Players are stuck with whoever else is in the zone and they can’t control how easy or hard it is to clear the final bosses. Players could just leave the Pavilion but surely the event should encourage them to stay in there!

Posted by: Anawim.5168

Anawim.5168

I believe the issues to this event has really little to do with champ trains, and more to do with the inability of large random numbers of people to work together, limited tools to do so, conflicting goals(some are simply trying to get achievements and don’t care about gold), and some of the megaservers being underpopulated being a recent one.

I don’t want things to be nerfed, and I think the rewards are fine, all I would like is better coordination tools/features.

I’d love it if ANet provided us better coordination tools/features. I don’t know what those would look like, personally (more map marker capabilities? rethinking event design for multi-boss set-ups like Crown Pavilion so that each “arena” of each boss can only be entered by organized groups – say, 3-5 parties, 5 people each?), but I think that if they step back and realize we need organizational tools ingrained in the game mechanics for something of this scale to be successful for more than just a fringe group, then we’d rock events like this out of the world – and not only to our own benefit, but to the success of their player engagement, to their pockets, to their bottom line.

If they catered to us, rather than saw us as the consumer of the 20th Century, then there’d be true player engagement and it’d make them distinguished from a bunch of tired MMO makers employing the same tried-and-true tactics of monetization.

Posted by: Elentari.9156

Elentari.9156

I like the mechanics and structure of the event itself. The bosses are a lot more interesting than they were last year, and I actually had a reason to use my support abilities as staff ele. But as it stands, there are too many barriers to playing the content the way it was intended, and I think a large part of that is that dev intentions are not being clearly communicated to the average player. No, it’s not too hard to figure out the right strat, but when the designers’ intentions are not clearly communicated, it slows down the rate of player education and we never reach the critical mass necessary for the playerbase to enter the positive feedback loop where there are enough experienced players around to show newer players what to do.

Critical mass is essential in this game, because what you personally decide to do depends on what you think other people are doing. If somebody calls out that champ oak is up in QD, you’d probably decide to port there to help kill it, because you expect that other people in the zone will go, and it will be killed quickly. If somebody calls out for help with the Champ Asura at that skill point in Timberline Falls, you’re much less likely to go because you wouldn’t expect other people to show up.

In the case of Boss Blitz, practically no information is given when you zone in, which means that not everyone will know what to do. It also means that nobody expects anyone else there to know what to do, which is the biggest obstacle to coordination. In the situation where nobody knows what anyone else is doing, the only viable thing to do is clump up into a zerg because it’s a Nash Equilibrium: Any single player has absolutely no incentive to strike out on his/her own, because with the zerg, you’re at least guaranteed to finish the event, but if you go off by yourself, you’re not going to be able to solo a boss. Even if someone tries to organize splitting up, there’s no incentive for any individual player to listen, because s/he has no expectation that enough other people will listen to make the effort worthwhile.

In short, the problem isn’t whether you know the strat. The problem is whether you know that everyone else knows the strat.

But if the game established clear goals right away, for example by having 6 NPC commanders that show how many players are standing near them like there are in WvW, then everybody zoning in would know that everybody else is on the same page. This would remove the biggest obstacle to coordination, by making players expect that everyone else will split up properly, instead of expecting that no one will.

(edited by Elentari.9156)

Posted by: RottenRagamuffin.3159

RottenRagamuffin.3159

You don’t even need to be a member of a large guild. If you join halfway, you just look around and ask how many people are at each boss. 0-10? Join it. 10> go to another boss.

If its a fresh event, just gather yourself into 6 groups.

I gave up, not because the event mechanics is bad or anything, but because after spending 30mins explaining why you don’t zerg them and how to get gold multiple times, all that happens is people just zerg up and ignore you.

The once I succeeded convincing a small group to split up, we took one of the bosses down quicker than the blob next to us, and I’m all like ‘see?’, yet no one followed suit.

I don’t even know how is this actually possible. If I grab a bunch of 5 year old kids and tell them to split into 6 groups on the playground, they can probably do it. Apparently we can’t.

In theory, you don’t have to be a member of a large guild… if players understood the mechanics of the Boss Blitz. Last night, I was in a group of 8 and we took down two bosses (really fun fight done this way btw!) whilst the zerg was hammering away at just the one. No chance of a gold whilst ever this happens.

Where the large guilds, or at least co-ordinated guilds shine, is in their ability to organise players. And that’s why these players, and those lucky pugs who happen to be in the map with them, are likely to be the ones getting the gold rewards, whilst the rest of us will be chugging away for bronze. :\

(SBI)

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

An incentive to force ppl to organize could be obtain some achivement only when gold reward has been reached (example the boss blitz achivement), so even the achievers are forced to organize for making it

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

An incentive to force ppl to organize could be obtain some achivement only when gold reward has been reached (example the boss blitz achivement), so even the achievers are forced to organize for making it

That would only make people hate the event even more. Forcing people to do something might work short-term, but in the long run it is better to entice them. This event does not have anything like that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

The “buff” was a start, but it’s just really fluff. You can trade in festival currency for mats that mobs should be dropping anyway. Regardless mobs should drop loot. Anthing less than that will be viewed by me as just a ridiculous set of hoops to land in a pile of nerf.

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

How do we achieve the ‘Chaos of Lyssa’? Is it available through PvP reward track or AP rewards? Or just extremely ridiculously rare?

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

How do we achieve the ‘Chaos of Lyssa’? Is it available through PvP reward track or AP rewards? Or just extremely ridiculously rare?

You have to do the gauntlet and then pray to rngus that you get the recipe. And then cry. because people have opened thousands and gotten nothing but 1 single festival token. But it is so fun, right?

Posted by: jacksparrow.7921

jacksparrow.7921

Sadly the crown pavilion is a failure( except arena whit the bosses is a nice encounter ) but the blizz oh man noo loot from them just the last one and ppl are tending to go all in one place so upscaling the boss so hard dammmmm…… one blizz duration 1 -2 hours wtf … for what nothing …. dont tell me that u need to organize is imposibble to do that whit the megaserver…. no one lisen.. but is no problem there are lots of loot in gem store seems that is the only thing anet dose a ….
no trash loot form mobs no nothing just a random token here and there))))))

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

No one wants to do this event or co-ordinate for it. It’s only four days post-patch and I’m having issues getting the achieves even. If Boss Blitz is active, you can’t kill the centaurs and soloing the vets didn’t go so well anyhow. To make matters worse, after spending almost two hours clearing Boss Blitz with a small group, I got nothing as a reward. How wonderful.

I really wish Anet would learn from past mistakes – people don’t want to work together on a scale like this and if there’s no loot incentive, after the majority have gotten their achieves in a day or so then they’re gone and you have empty maps with content no one can complete solo. Why bother when the reward is nothing?

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: ArtisticMess.1067

ArtisticMess.1067

Gotta say, once you start making a real effort on organization, the event is really rewarding and fun.

I went into the Crown Pavilion earlier today. Not with guildies or anything. Just by myself. After a failure, me and another player started pitching the idea of organization before donating. Slowly and surely, people started to listen to us. It took some patience, but by round three, we had people volunteering to lead groups for each boss and others organizing themselves into said groups of 10-12.

During the fights, we made sure to communicate in Map Chat just how much health our boss had and, once our boss was at 10%, we’d hold until the other bosses were there too. Then we’d kill each of them simultaneously. If our boss died before the others, we made sure to keep our group in the middle of the pavilion until everyone else had finished.

By doing all this, we managed to get the gold reward twice, and the silver reward four times. And it was glorious. Everyone was pleasant and patience with each other the entire time. Plus, my bags were packed full by the time I left the arena.

So, I dunno. Cooperation really is key. If you’re unwilling to give that a shot, it’s really not the LS event for you.

Posted by: Rashamra.5138

Rashamra.5138

The Festival of the Winds has been a huge disappointment for me.

I was hoping to return to the Boss Blitz I was familiar with and do some mindless zerg grinding. Granted, many have complained about it but the revamp introduced is far worse.

I was also hoping to be able to collect the Sovereign Weapons skins but to my annoyance the skin now requires a lot of luck on my part since I I need to have the rare favor drops instead of just watchwork sprockets. It almost seems as though you are punishing players for not getting them last year.

Since you had already announced earlier on that blade of shards were tradeable, I was expecting bloodstone dusts, dragonite ores and empyreal fragments to also be tradeable for something during the festival. In fact, I’m sure a lot of the gamers were expecting the same thing. Unfortunately, you just couldn’t let that happen.

Due to how extremely rare it drops, the new skin you had introduced is as good as not introducing it at all.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

The problem is, that even if there is a good group of players, trying to organize with a ts and everything, failure can be dictated by a dozen of others who either join late, don’t read map chat, can’t read it because language filters, are trolls or just don’t care.

There will always be BAD players, in every game ever. Nothing will change it. Problems arise when a minority of them can disrupt the efforts and goodwill of everyone else.

And that’s a DESIGN problem, shared by many “open world raids” this game has. tequatl for example, exellent fight, but 3-4 trolls on the turrets can counterweight the efforts of 145 other good players who wasted an hour to organize groups, give direction, joined ts.
Sure, it usually doesn’t happen, but it CAN happen. In the pavillon it’s just much more likely to happen because it’s LS, not a random boss on a forsaken shore that you need to join 1 hour earlier.

(edited by Aegis.9724)

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

I’m loving Boss Blitz now, specially as a lot of the players know the techniques of getting gold, and any new players get told pretty quickly on what to do, where to go etc.

Also, loving the T6 farm now

[OP] Optimise

Posted by: Shizlam.4310

Shizlam.4310

Also it’s not that hard to organize, just get 6 tags in one place and some people who can tell you the hp of the mobs and you’re good to go. But what you mostly need is 6 tags.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I’m loving Boss Blitz now, specially as a lot of the players know the techniques of getting gold, and any new players get told pretty quickly on what to do, where to go etc.

Also, loving the T6 farm now

So is working on random overflow now?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Nope but i’m smarter than you kitten because i went and joined the biggest guild in the game to make events like this. It’s not like i’m even in their guild, they have non rep guilds for almost all the servers’s players to come.

Yeah, I’m in one of the European Tequatl slayer guilds, no-one from mine is interested in the pavillion at all.