Leaderboard and Thanksgiving

in Fractured

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Well, since it’s Thanksgiving, Europe is thanking you for installing this implementation of leaderboard right before Thanksgiving.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

in Fractured

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Well, since it’s Thanksgiving, Europe is thanking you for installing this implementation of leaderboard right before Thanksgiving.

Have you ever used Anet’s leaderboards? If you have, you might notice that US and EU are separate.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/achievements

in Fractured

Fror.2163

Looks like I made some more connections than you in my head before posting this: EU has quite a number of US players on their servers, making this even more ironic than what you initially thought. EU leaderboard will be composed of US players!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

…this week is US thanksgiving. Is it also EU’s thanksgiving?

Also, I’d like to point out that I don’t think it’s much of a coincidence that this particular (controversial) patch is coming out right before anet’s employees go on vacation.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Fractured

Fror.2163

Not sure if serious or trolling so I’ll assume serious.

EU or even non-American people have no Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is purely an American celebration.

in Fractured

Lilith Ajit.6173

Actually from friends telling me, I know that Canadians have thanksgiving! also, my friend in South Africa has a thanksgiving. So I’m just assuming a lot of places have them.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

in Fractured

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Actually from friends telling me, I know that Canadians have thanksgiving! also, my friend in South Africa has a thanksgiving. So I’m just assuming a lot of places have them.

Canada’s Thanksgiving was last month

in Fractured

Lilith Ajit.6173

Canada’s Thanksgiving was last month

I know, I just meant that other places do have thanksgiving as a holiday, even if they’re not at the same time.

[ARES]

in Fractured

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

We should have Thankcanada day for them putting up with us. They give us clean arctic air and we give them acid rain.. poor Canada lol

in Fractured

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

EU or even non-American people have no Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is purely an American celebration.

EU as well as other countries do have thanksgiving. It isn’t called thanksgiving but it’s the same crap we doing over here lol. Not all American’s are off that day or enjoying a whole week off like other countries do BUT that’s not the point. It’s more interesting to me that you claim that the EU server apparently is flooded by Americans. I highly doubt that most of us with a ping of 10 – 75 would trade that for a server with a ping of around 200+. Might be just me that lacks to see why Americans would prefer the EU server……

in Fractured

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

EU as well as other countries do have thanksgiving. It isn’t called thanksgiving but it’s the same crap we doing over here lol. Not all American’s are off that day or enjoying a whole week off like other countries do BUT that’s not the point. It’s more interesting to me that you claim that the EU server apparently is flooded by Americans. I highly doubt that most of us with a ping of 10 – 75 would trade that for a server with a ping of around 200+. Might be just me that lacks to see why Americans would prefer the EU server……

EU servers are probably not flooded by Americans but NA servers are most likely populated by other nations than Americans. Like Koreans or Brazilians.

in Fractured

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

EU servers are probably not flooded by Americans but NA servers are most likely populated by other nations than Americans. Like Koreans or Brazilians.

Still doesn’t make any sense.

in Fractured

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Still doesn’t make any sense.

My statement does not make any sense? What is wrong with it? Care to elaborate?

in Fractured

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

EU as well as other countries do have thanksgiving. It isn’t called thanksgiving but it’s the same crap we doing over here lol.

Care to give me a couple of examples? I’ve lived in Europe for all my life and traveled around quite a bit. I have never seen or heard of any thanksgiving-like celebration in any European country.

Wikipedia only lists a commemorative church service in the Netherlands (no mention of family dinners or somesuch) and the info on the German Erntedankfest is wrong – it is not actively celebrated in any households I know of; it’s a religious thing (but not a holiday) so it’s only celebrated by the religious minority and/or some smaller towns in catholic Southern German. Source: being German.

The only thanksgiving-like dinners I’ve had were those that my Canadian boyfriend has cooked for me, or other North American expats I’m friends with.

in Fractured

Fror.2163

There are the words and there is the spirit of the words. You didn’t focus on the latter at all.

Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday in Europe. Anywhere. Look at the WP entry.

Now this being said, there are not many NA guys on EU servers. But those are usually active because they have good reasons to be invested in the game in EU rather than in NA. And given the long Thanksgiving week-end in the US, the US guys will play more and there is a chance for them to make it to level 50 before European (or rest of the world).

I’m don’t even really care about leaderboards. I accept that it is present, but I’d find it ridiculous that because of the timing, the EU leaderboard would be thrusted by NA guys (because holidays because Thanksgiving).

in Fractured

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t know. I’m not going to be able to play during the holidays, family engagements and such.

It’ll probably be a mix.

[ARES]

in Fractured

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I remember on another NA holiday (was it veterans’ day?) American players complained that the new release fell on a family holiday that people were going to spend with their families, and not gaming.

Now people complain because they think this falling on a family holiday will give Americans an edge.

Uh…. ?

in Fractured

Lilith Ajit.6173

I remember on another NA holiday (was it veterans’ day?) American players complained that the new release fell on a family holiday that people were going to spend with their families, and not gaming.

Now people complain because they think this falling on a family holiday will give Americans an edge.

Uh…. ?

Good point,. I think the only issue with the time of release is the fact that anet will be on vacation, and thus unavailable for support

[ARES]

in Fractured

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I’m American and will be celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday. I also am off work from Thursday til Monday and plan on getting in a lot of GW2 time. Thank you for the easy top spots on the leader boards

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Fractured

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

This will not matter once they increase the level cap.