Clock Tower Appreciation Thread :D

in Halloween Event

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

this puzzle is FRIGGING fun!!
so i haven’t gotten to the top yet, but i’m gonna keep tryign with the few days left and i know i’ll make it! i am slowly, but surely climbing to the top. i love the time limit factor of it. and when you start off as a bunch and then it gets thinned down until there are only a few left (i know they aren’t dying, so i can sit okay with that lol).

and on the side, even if i haven’t made it yet… my jumping skills have been honed a LOT cause of this puzzle! i am doing other puzzles and jumping in general so much better, for really having been pushed to learn how to jump precisely, when and where to launch yourself and how best to angle and position your jumps. great stuff!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Plutonian Lynx.8274

Plutonian Lynx.8274

We had a dance party at the top to motivate others to make it in. Worked well, as you can see. Hah.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast (For ze Toast!)
Norpass Imperium [NOPE]
Syndicate of the Mists [SotM]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aaron Cameron.4023

Aaron Cameron.4023

Loved the clock tower

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

We had a dance party at the top to motivate others to make it in. Worked well, as you can see. Hah.

Haha, that’s epic. I just had some random naked guy spam cheer all the time. xD

I kept bumping against the stone near the start couln’t see it with the huge flock of people trampling me. xD

But eventually, i got it done! =D

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Razel.2745

Razel.2745

I will add my thoughts not to brag but just to… idk what ever.

i love this puzzle and would love to see more as challenging. I do hate it for people who cannot complete it and i would love to help out any way i could but regardless. Myself and my friend completed it in roughly 30mins to an hour. and it was so fun dying all the times but getting a little further each attempt. Love this event!!!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kethryes.5712

Kethryes.5712

I love this puzzle. Took me 4h before managing to finish it, but afterwards I dit it again with all my characters for the fun of it… running and seeing everyone falling behind me

I love how people balme the fact they fail on te Char and Norn. Yes they are annoying… the first five tries. The camera is a much bigger issue imho, as sometimes it zooms in and out at the beginning (which combined with Char and Norn is quite bad, but the camera is more to blame than the crowd)
Once you pass that, it is just a problem of skill (and habit, it is so much easier when you know the road by heart )

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fallenangel.3469

Fallenangel.3469

Loved the puzzle i can see alot of effort was put into
although it took me 2 days to get it done the sence of ahcievment after all the strugling really makes it worth the while

Only drawback would be the Norn/Charr obstructing our view most of the time

PS. Wish this puzzle would stay permanent QQ

The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

<Motion sickness>

Great puzzle, tried it, yeah not a good idea for me. Though the animation and concept is great.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Melesie.5723

Melesie.5723

I raged a lot in the beginning, but once I had been able to get past initial crowd moments to 1-3 people left standing, I started to enjoy it greatly. I think the crowd part was intentional to make people rush ahead of others.

As someone mentioned though, making everyone same size would probably reduce hate towards Norn/Charr (and, as I heard from them, even they have trouble seeing where to jump because of the size).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I love this jump waay too much.
So at the moment it’s really getting too easy :p
I can do this without speed buffs and getting all 3 chests on the way to the top now.
I pretty much got 500 ToT-bags this weekend doing the clocktower over and over again.

2 things i noticed a lot in the other opposite thread, wait time and difficulty:

- WAIT TIME is just a few seconds when i do fall at the end somewhere so that’s pretty cool. And wait time after finishing it is the full duration but im ok with that because without it i would’ve been able to get twice the amount of ToT-bags wich is pretty much seeing how fast you get them.

- DIFFICULTY is perfect in my opinion, some in my guild needed an hour or 2 to finish it for the first time. And some in my guild including me needed like 10 tries. (couldn’t figure out where to go untill i noticed that 3rd chest down there :p)

- LOOT is good because of the little wait time i can get a stack of tot bags pretty fast getting all 3 extra chests on my way up too.

- OTHER PLAYERS? i enjoyed jumping this with my guild, yes i fell a few times at the start being unable to see my own character but being here solo would ruin the fun of jumping with my friends/guild and laughing when they fail at last jump xd

As an experienced jumper in other games like Super Meat Boy jumps like Clocktower became pretty easy for me. So i’m pretty sure this game will never get a jumping puzzle i won’t be able to complete.
But ArenaNet please, if you do listen to the people that say the jumps are too hard. Do not take away our hard jumps. Instead you could make 2 paths, easy and hard and let the hard give better loot. But pleaaaseee do not take our hard jumps away and continue to make more ^^

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

(edited by Sampo.9678)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I love the clocktower!
Best puzzle ever!

I must admit it was extremely frustrating initially, but once I’ve done it, it felt the most rewarding too.
If only I could turn off player models..

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Halloween Event

Posted by: OZtheWiZARD.2401

OZtheWiZARD.2401

Absolutely loved it.
Yes, it was hard and I was frustrated and use words that are not appropriate and was smashing things around me with anger, but after I have done it it’s very rewarding.
Would be nice to have some title for completion though.
Great job on this one and on the event as a whole.
Please do not listen to all those whining threads, even if they are the loudest ones.
It supposed to be hard but you can definitely complete it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Yep, great job on an amazing puzzle. Was really lots of fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Evil Geek.6904

Evil Geek.6904

Lost count of how many times I’ve tried and failed, not very good at jumping puzzles, that doesn’t make it any less awesome though, love it

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Radar.1827

Radar.1827

It took me 7 hours but I finally made it, it felt sooooo good when I did to!

Radars
Guild Leader of [UK]Desolation
Level 80 Asura Engineer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wildclaw.6073

Wildclaw.6073

It’s less about skill and more about luck when everybody’s thrown in together – and it becomes all but impossible to see platforms through the swarm of people trying to jump them.

I have accumulated more than a 1000 tot bags from the jumping puzzle, and there is nothing lucky about it at all. I see the same people perform well time after time.

And the swarm of people at the start has basically no impact at all on the overall situation. Once you are past the first block, the jumps in the first part have huge margins, especially if you take the outer track over the first chest (the inner track requires a bit more precision or you will have to waste an extra jump on the cogwheel)

It is only the final double jump in the first path that requires precision, and only if you wasted time early on. (looting the second chest just before that jump can especially make it close on time.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

I just hope they introduce more hard puzzles like this. I haven’t had this much fun in a while. The best 3 hours in GW2 so far

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

What a lot of people don’t understand is that Norn and Charr aren’t the problem.

If you aren’t ahead of 90% of the people after the first spawned part, you aren’t gonna make it in time.

No, what you don’t understand is that they are.

By your definition, it would be impossible for more than 1 person to reach the top (10% of 15 people is 1.5), and I’ve seen 3 people reach the top several times (even 4).

And by admitting that “you have to be ahead of other people” you are acknowledging that you find it harder when there are other characters near yours.

It’s obviously possible for everyone to reach the top. It’s just very hard because players get in each other’s way. And bigger characters get more in the way.

I can reach the end 9 times out of 10 if I’m a human in a group with no charr or norn. That drops to about 2 out of 10 if I’m an asura in a group with 4 or more large characters (charr / norn). Partly it’s because of the asura camera bugs (the camera bounces whenever players land on certain platforms), but partly it’s because I lose the reference of my own character when I need to correct my trajectory.

Anyone claiming that having your view (of your own character and of the places you need to jump to) blocked by up to 14 characters 4 times your size “makes no difference” should be forced to spend the next 6 months playing GW2 constantly surrounded by a mob of huge charr in bright pink armour.

The clock tower is excellent, but player visibility is a problem and a source of frustration, especially for people playing asura characters, and this is something that should have been detected and fixed before release (ex., by rendering all other players as ghosts or plastic spiders – preserving the feeling of a “mad rush” without giving some races a disadvantage, and letting people focus on the actual jumping puzzle rather than getting mad at other players for blocking their view).

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Unicorn.2307

Unicorn.2307

After about 6 hours I was very happy to have finished it. now i have very sweaty hands lol

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

It’s the best jumping puzzle in the game. Absolutely love it. One of my guildies was so happy when he finished it he refused to leave the top of the tower for about half an hour because he was basking in the fact that he’d done it!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tzko.2370

tzko.2370

Like many other I loved this people. The fact that we started with a whole group made it even better. The higher up you get the more people fall off and shortly after its usually 2 or 3 running after each other.

It took me some time to learn it, 2 hours or so and after succeding i repeated it on every character I have. Now I have a friend asking me to run it for him so he gets the achievement

Thumbs up, Anet, keep them coming. Would love the same kind of puzzle but with different paths that branch off, not all leading to death but different kind of routes

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Thorgal.1287

Thorgal.1287

simply freakin awesome… I love it! and I still havent made it to the end… I once came to the point where you suddenly need to go left instead of right…

anyways… will try again tonite when I get home

don’t listen to the complaint.. I consider myself an avarage gamer who spends way to much time gaming… I expect there to be things that I just cant make (but I sure hope this isnt one of them

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CMNico.2913

CMNico.2913

Clock tower is amazing, especially i loved the idea of letting a lot of people inside. It feels really dramatic that way

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MissoPan.9528

MissoPan.9528

This tower was both fun and frustrating. I loved it! When I finally beat it I was pretty relieved and elated, and I got to dance around with the two norn that got there before me.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Andalamar.4201

Andalamar.4201

Yeah. I was looking for a topic like this.

Thank you for one amazing puzzle! I wish it would be available for a longer time than the Halloween event duration. This is one masterwork of a MMORPG puzzle and I hope to see more in the future. Thank you!

Remember that there is a difference between the majority of players and the loudest players.
-Hawcinn/Barborin

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Roland Dragonne.7384

Roland Dragonne.7384

Best… Jump… Puzzle… EVER.

That is all.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

The rush I got when I finally completed this clock tower puzzle was greater than any rush I’ve ever felt while playing an MMO and greater than most games in general. Thank you Anet for that and please keep it up. I don’t even care that you only gave us a recycled skin, the reward was the sense of accomplishment.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Luisedgm.2375

Luisedgm.2375

Beating the clock tower gave a sense of accomplishment that I hadn’t had in a while from this game so thanks! Sometime it gets a little stale if its not hard~

This, i left my character cheerfully dancing in front of the chest, while congratulating everyone that shown up there for 20 minutes, its a real achievement!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Munki.9452

Munki.9452

I really enjoyed the Clock Tower, it took me quite a while to get it down, but it was worth it. If I had one criticism it would be that we need a few less people per instance of the tower. The only frustrating aspect about it would be when you had a pack of people all getting to the harder jumps at the same time.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

One clock tower to rule them all. This was awesome and everyone in my TS channel was having a blast, even if we were falling off and getting frustrated at the same time. That was part of the fun and made the eventual success that much sweeter.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Koega.8653

Koega.8653

I loved it. For me, it brought nostalgia of my childhood with the mario style platform jumping. I just wish there was a title to go along with this. Something like “Lunatic Leaper” or “The princess was in another clock tower” or something.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

It was infuriating, sleep-depriving, & eye-twitch- and carpal tunnel-inducing. Mission accomplished, ANet. Well done.

The two most frustrating aspects? Not being able to see your character through the mob of people (which I believe was intentional on ANet’s part) and the camera zooming in and out erratically, which is still the one major complaint I have with the game’s UI.

Despite those, it’s overall a very fun experience.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: dithoricki.2397

dithoricki.2397

I love jumping puzzles and this is by far the most fun I’ve had in the game I love it and hope that ANet has plans to make more jumping puzzles like this one!

I couldn’t help but laugh all the time when I failed because it was just silly fails. Like one time I was just at the top and when I jumped to get to the last stair I jumped to late and hit the edge of the stair and fell down xD I’ve done this three times so far and it’s still just as silly funny!

I’ve done this puzzle now as sylvari and asura! Darn those norns and charr are huge!!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Michael.3279

Michael.3279

Best. Thing. Ever.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alptraum.6012

Alptraum.6012

One thing that helped to really pull the Clock Tower experience together was the reactions of the groups you come to join in the game. All of the times I jumped into one of the rooms, everybody started off without saying a word, psyching themselves out and/or stripping down for the sake of being able to see. Before too long though, the silence cracks and then you get some personality following. Between humor and sheer rage. And that one really gruff looking Charr fellow breaking down and sobbing uncontrollably in the corner. Bravo, Devs, I look forward to more.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I love the puzzle – great challenge, great design. I’ve finished it and now that I know it can usually 1-shot thru it.

I didn’t so much like doing it with others, especially huge charr and norn that blot out the sun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: djmckie.4876

djmckie.4876

I agree, Anet needs to make more puzzles that actually give me a sense of gratification… most of them are too easy and linear.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hunter Theron.6428

Hunter Theron.6428

Love this puzzle, it is so well designed! It was a great challenge but tons of fun and so rewarding when I finally beat it. I’ll never get that Saturday back but I’m not complaining, it was a Saturday well wasted.

Theron Aquila – Human Ranger

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

You try it, and fail.
Then you try again and fail.
Then you try untill you make it.
It´s awesome!

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

I’d love it if they kept the clock tower. Just take off all the rewards and make it a skill reward instead.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Twelve hours. One hundred fifty-six attempts before I got it. I ‘appreciate’ the Clocktower in the same way I ‘appreciate’ trying to fix my garbage disposal. It’s a humongous time sink that, while feeling honestly rewarding once finished, is the most annoying and tedious thing I have ever done in a game.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vargos.6987

Vargos.6987

Loved it. For all the whiners who complain about it, I don’t know why they feel that everyone deserves to complete it. I don’t have enough consecutive play time for dungeons, but I don’t complain about not being able to get the achievments for them. My wife despises PvP, but she doesn’t feel she should be able to get the achievments for it anyway. This game has so many different things to do, I’d be amazed if anyone truly loved every single part of it on the same level. If you don’t like part of it, don’t do it.

Oh, and for those complaining about not being able to see around a charr, try jumping as one. The jumping-on-all-fours almost takes more getting used to than the puzzle itself. My charr is an engi and 99% of my time I’m running upright with a kit active. It was weird losing my weapon/kits for that puzzle, since every other puzzle I’ve done I jump like a humanoid when my kit is equipped.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Once I got the hang of it, it was a ton of fun. I admit I got frustrated at first and sometimes would make stupid mistakes. But its all something I’m used to in my platforming experience. :P

Overall, I loved the atmosphere and challenge. Can’t wait to see the other holiday ones.

As much as I disliked it at first, I also liked the group of people together doing it. It obviously added to the challenge and “racing” to the top was always interesting. Not sure if I’d exactly want it in the future, but I wouldn’t complain if it showed up again (but I’m sure plenty others would).

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ska.7943

Ska.7943

Just wanted to add to the list of people who loved it. Great spontaneous chatter in the waiting room with random players, and a challenge that felt rewarding when beaten. It was hard, and frustrating at times, but that added to the thrill of victory in the end.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Pangie.3217

Pangie.3217

When I finished it I had the biggest smile on my face. I was just so happy. I tried it at different times throughout the weekend and every time I went in I always found myself with a funny group of people. I never thought I’d finish it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zerf.8132

Zerf.8132

I also loved the clocktower, but I do get the people that wanted to run it alone, or wanted to skip the wait in between runs. I wasn’t too bothered with it myself(and I’ve done it on a couple of alts) since after a while, your almost alone anyways.

I would even like even harder puzzles, because I’m a Nintendo fanboy and Mario has taught me well

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TeamBattleAxe.3901

TeamBattleAxe.3901

I finally got around to giving the puzzle a try. Very tense, very addictive, very FUN. After three or four attempts, we were already making comparisons to Battletoads and how nerve-wracking the tower sequence in that game was.

So far, no one in my guild has conquered the tower yet. Tonight, we’re all running it together with a 1g reward to the first person up.

Thanks ANet for a great puzzle!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lady Mimic.3247

Lady Mimic.3247

First of all I want to say thank you to Anet for this puzzle. Despite being hard for me, it was still an amazing designed puzzle. It was frustrating from the amount of times falling down, but once I got the hang of the jumps and timing it was fun to do. Never done a puzzle that made me feel really nervous when near the end and hoping I make it!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kiviar.7063

Kiviar.7063

There are a few strange invisible walls that can knock you off blocks and a few funky camera blocking objects but other than that clock tower is fun.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

I loved it, yeah i got frustrated, but I was bound and determined to do it just to see if i could lol. After a short distance most of the others fell away and I made it to the top. Got my adrenaline going that’s for sure.