Opinion: Costumes as Town Clothes = disappointing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: AshadelMG.8634

AshadelMG.8634

Ordin.9047

The LOTRO cosmetic system is great, anet would do well to borrow a page from their book. The devs just need to swollow thier pride and admit that town clothes aren’t working and fix it. People arent bothering with town clothes, and people dont pay money for something that they wont bother with.

I disagree. I’ve spent the entirety of today in my witch costume, doing everything from mining to jumping puzzles. If I get into combat, I kill the thing and toggle right back into my costume because ANet was nice enough to add in a toggle specifically for town clothes.

Town Clothes aren’t combat clothes. That is pretty much the difference. Just because you, or a select group of people, don’t like the way that they’ve been introduced into the game, doesn’t mean that they are broken, foolish, or a horrible idea. ANet has done a whole bunch of things that other games haven’t touched. Suggesting that they take a page out of another game’s book is pretty much telling them to stop being a different game (and I say this while seriously missing my holy trinity).

To that point, I agree that it would have been nice to see some armor skins introduced for those people who would rather have a more festive approach to their armor, but I would never for a moment say that ANet is doing it wrong by making costumes into town clothes. Different is not wrong, not in this case.

Is it so hard to say, “I like x idea, but could we have y idea implemented next holiday if possible for some variety?” rather than “No. This is wrong. You’re wrong. Don’t do it again. Ixnay on the upidstay.” Especially since you don’t have to spend a cent of real money to buy a frivolous and pretty item here in GW2 – something that I wish some other MMO’s would pick up and run with.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

There are hundreds of dyes and tonnes of different skins already out there, and no doubt more to come, and they allow a good balance of personalization and aesthetic consistency. If anyone’s having difficulty being creative with what’s already available for combat wear, they don’t need witch’s hats but more actual creativity.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

I want the Witch costume as real armor for my necro. That is all

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Manually quoting because that feature isn’t working properly right now.

MithranArkanere.8957
Costumes should be unlocked instead bought as units, and wearable in combat, just like in GW1.
Each Town clothes slot should have a checkbox in the lower-right corner. Activate it, and it’ll replace the corresponding armor piece when showing armor.
And once you buy them and unlock them once, an NPC should have them in their list available for you for a small fee.
As they are, it’s not worth paying for them.

Yes x Forever.

Any and all gem store items from the Style tab should be 1) tied to the account, and 2) Available for free if you lose the item – either by seeing an NPC or by revisiting the BLTC tab.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tenicord.9803

Tenicord.9803

I like it how it is to be honest. I don’t want everyone running dungeons with pumpkin heads in the middle of July.

I think this is just what the town clothes needed. Now I will actually switch to my town clothes when in town. So yeah, I like it how it is. And the costume battles give the clothes more purpose, even if it’s just for fun.

Hope they leave it as is on this one.

Keep in mind with other updates/expansions new armor will be added, so don’t act like there will never be any more cool armor.

“Our Time Is Now”
Waylon- lvl 80 Guardian
Trism – lvl 80 Engineer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ashlotte.3719

Ashlotte.3719

I don’t much care either way as I don’t go near the gem store, but from a purely business standpoint it seems rather daft to put such a limitation on the cash shop items. It just feels like for what could be their main money maker they’re shooting themselves in the foot for no good reason?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

Agree with OP, it was so cool to have a vanity slot where you can put any costume in it and look that way, we spend most of our time fighting, we would have to idle to actually be worth toggling town clothing and I for one no matter how much i like the costumes think that its not worth the trouble :x

in Halloween Event

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

I was under the impression that town clothes an be transmuted to armor, is this incorrect?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

the problem is that 1- town clothes get unequipped way too easily, especially in a city with as much water and steep ledges as lion’s arch, and 2- there is no easy way to re equip them.

if they stayed equipped when i fell or went underwater, and if they had an option to equip as soon as i’m in town, they would be just fine.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Halloween Event

BrunoBRS.5178

I was under the impression that town clothes an be transmuted to armor, is this incorrect?

you can’t transmute anything into a different class of item. so it is incorrect.

in Halloween Event

samrogan.9132

Thanks for the info! Maybe something to be considered for ANet to fix the disappointed role players!

in Halloween Event

BrunoBRS.5178

Thanks for the info! Maybe something to be considered for ANet to fix the disappointed role players!

like i said, an option to trigger town clothes while in town (and a fix to not drop them whenever the slightest hint of combat shows) would solve that problem, even for roleplayers (i assume roleplaying still uses common sense, and that adventurers wear their combat gear when exploring :P)

in Halloween Event

samrogan.9132

like i said, an option to trigger town clothes while in town (and a fix to not drop them whenever the slightest hint of combat shows) would solve that problem, even for roleplayers (i assume roleplaying still uses common sense, and that adventurers wear their combat gear when exploring :P)

This is a good option too. Allods Online did something really cool which will always resonate in my mind as a really rewarding thing for players. They gave you a timed chest upon character creation that started at, say, 30 seconds and the timer increased every time you opened it (30 seconds, one minute, 5 minutes, 1 hour etc.). The chests often contained a cosmetic gear item, however it looked like “fancy” I suppose armour skins. I seem to especially recall a very stereotypical and awesome archer hat with a feather; you could wear it over your armour if you chose. If ANet had some sort of system like this where your chest started with very common (yet unique) cosmetic gear skins or clothing and progressed as you levelled or your chest timer got higher I think this would make some of us (me), and the veteran players very happy campers.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

This is a shame The superhero mmos do it best really, Why not just have a “stats slot” and a “visual slot” like in so many games. meh, transmuting is indeed a pain (until you have a perfect maxed set of armour that you never plan on changing :p)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lorena.2973

Lorena.2973

Driften – I have to laugh at the old UO reference. I remember the ridiculousness of sitting on a purple llama at the bank at Skara Brae and inviting your guild to see your latest house decor. Bankies! Oh yah, I was one of them, but still! The early UO was the best, Trammel ruined the game in one day. I’m all for looking as fancy as we can while we play all the meaningless roleplay and monster bashing. I still enjoy it, but I know I’m missing the REAL thrill of never knowing when someone would steal you blind or kill you on the trail and take all that you had and laugh at you and run off wearing your pretty pink dress… darn them! lol

in Halloween Event

Posted by: nova.5907

nova.5907

Yes, Arenanet PLEASE make costume wearable in combat, gives us a higher customization of our characters! just like in GW1!

~Nova

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I think the full costumes, Mad King and Witch/Warlock are specifically for the costume brawl. Who knows what they have in store for us for the finale and post event. The event is 2days old.

The game has only been out a short time, so having a decent balance of 2 options ie combat gear and town gear is acceptable for me at this point.

GW1 had it’s splits of function too. All of those costumes bought from the cash shop were only wearable in pve, you hit a pvp zone and it disappears. I think the only hats or mask that could be worn in pvp were the helms that actually took the helm slot from year 1-3. Some items could only be used in town while others only useable in a pve zone.

All in all, the event isn’t over yet and we have no idea if another version of the cash shop costumes will be our prize or not, we may get a helm, we may get a weapon, we may get nothing…too early to tell.

As far as rogues not wanting to look like pirates and what not, the game is only 2months in. I have no doubt more armor will be added. I think that when GW1 launched it didn’t really have alot of choices…let’s see, granite citadel 15k, grottos 15k and then FOW. GW2 has as much armor now as GW had up through atleast factions.

I currently don’t look like a pirate.

Attachments:

in Halloween Event

Posted by: supercereal.1683

supercereal.1683

Agree with OP. When I opened the TP and saw how amazing the Phantom Hood and Mad King/Witch gear looked, I had my credit card out and ready to fork over some cash… luckily I read the description about town clothes only first. Hardcore bummer for my Necro.

Honestly, if the same quality was given to in game armor sets I probably wouldn’t care… most of which are pretty hideous though.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: thealienamongus.1968

thealienamongus.1968

I have been quite vocal about this topic since BW1. This Event has brought this to more people’s attention it seems. I want the town clothes / transmutation system that is in place to change to be more like GW1 or LoTRo.

There are a lot of suggestion threads around about this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: uhnonuhmuhs.7536

uhnonuhmuhs.7536

the best way for ANET to make more money is make 2 different sets a town and combat costume set both with the same look, but town with skill set and combat for transmuting. this way if people want town and combat set they would need to buy 2 different sets.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cdunning.6815

cdunning.6815

I’m loving the are and new costumes. no complaints here. I would be cool to be able to get them outside of the cash shop but this is pretty minor.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Beronx.4795

Beronx.4795

Cosmetic items are what drive this game, I should be able to look however I want doing anything I want, LotrO didn’t make it hard, or a big deal. Just change it so the ‘town clothes’ tab is the appearance, and keep the stats of our real armor.

Also, not like it matters for WvW or anything, to our enemies our entire server is one ugly….ugly color.