Pay to Win

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

The Mad King costume is pay to win. If you buy it you become OP in costume brawl. Why do I say this? People with the Mad King costume now are placing food tables at hard to reach areas and just sniping everything in the area, they usually have 10+ brawl master because it’s too hard to reach them and they just fear you off the ledge or whatever if you do. Trying to 1v1 them with any other costume is pointless as well, as long as they have the table and other skills.

Seriously, I thought this game was supposed to not be pay to win. :/

Where’s the fun in this kitten holiday event, there isn’t any for those of us constantly being sniped from our brawl title by people with money.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

oh wait you get a title for brawling? hahaha i missed out on the news. time to get fightinggg. You can farm it with friends though no?

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ska.7943

Ska.7943

Sorry, have you completely run out of useless puppy to whine about?

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

If you run into Lions Arch right now, it’s just a crossfire of people throwing pumpkins all over. Anyone who doesn’t have a bought for costume doesn’t stand a chance.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Artorous.8573

Artorous.8573

Really? Then why the hell have I been winning as this stupid little spider… Is jumping into the cauldron the paying to win part?

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Emmiere.1058

Emmiere.1058

You could just do this bit with a friend. A guild mate and I were watching two members of a separate guild duel in costume brawl. We would cheer when someone reached the next tier for Master Brawler. This isn’t an event that has to be done in a giant group right next to the forge. Find a friend or two and go out to a secluded area and beat the crap out of each other. I guarantee it’s much more fun this way.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Amelli.9217

Amelli.9217

I have the MK costume, but I mustn’t have the knack, as I never seem to win any brawls.

As for others abusing the MK costume, I guess AN didn’t foresee such exploits.

But then I see alot of non BLTC costume players winning without any fancy shizzle, so I think its mostly down to skill, luck, or team effort.

(edited by Amelli.9217)

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

As for others abusing the MK costume, its most likely for the brawl payout. The special event costume for 500 brawl wins.

I didn’t know there was such a thing. I have to get brawling!

[SFD] – Maguuma

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Pay to win……..a title.

Cuz that makes you better than everyone else and makes you OP.

facepalm

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

I disagree, sorry but the zombie from the cauldron is pretty decent, i do just fine with this transform even with them using fear. This is not something to take serious, its a bit of fun, a time waster. I also found the mini golem from one of the mystery tonics to be pretty effective.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Amelli.9217

Amelli.9217

I could be wrong Awesome.6120. I was sure I saw in another thread (that I can’t seem to find now) that this was the case.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaderin.7584

Kaderin.7584

I can’t find any information on the reward for reaching 500 save the title/achievement, if anyone finds more info on this will be appreciated

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I played costume brawl for 45 minutes straight the other day. 2 of my costumes were out of the cauldron/mystic forge, the others were from old tonics (I have tonics from before they became mystery!) I won 10+ Brawls easily (I know this because the achievement popped up) I think I won about 15 total, but I’d have to check. It was a blast. It was impromptu, and I have to say hands down the BEST event I have ever played in an MMO to date.

I’ve played 30+ MMO’s in various stages of BETA and release (please don’t make me list them all) Many of these do holiday events, and some of them are pretty kitten amazing. GW2 has still won the gold.

I do not have a Mad King costume, and I have to say, that if your being sniped out of winning its for one of 3 reasons.

1. You really aren’t too great at playing. (No shame, can’t be good at everything)
2. The guy in the Mad King outfit really knows how to take advantage of what he’s got and deserves every point he earns. I’m sure other costumes get some pretty awesome skills.
3. You’re too stubborn to realize you picked a bad location, and your battles would best be done somewhere else if you don’t want to be sniped.

As an add on to this.

ANet! Amazing job! The time you must have put into making skills for soooo many different forms is amazing, and I applaud you! Job well done!

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kaffaljidhma.1496

kaffaljidhma.1496

Here’s how to win at costume brawl: if you’re about to die, ditch your costume and leave. If you don’t have a crown over your head, nobody will follow you. You will slowly regenerate health, at which point you can re-enter the brawl to complete your stack.

If a mad king is obviously exploiting the arena, leave. You can costume brawl anywhere, and the less people there are around an exploitable area, the more people will also leave as there’s less profitablility in it not being a mad melee.

It’s slower than if you paid money, but not impossible.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Troop.1369

Troop.1369

I’m a 137-times brawl master and done with the mummy costume u get from the forge. Stop whining

Black Talons – We make you nervous.
http://blacktalons.guildlaunch.com/

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: dahkot.3579

dahkot.3579

Gamebreaking , RAGEQUIT , ArenaNet duped us , lied , stole our money , took our jobs and kicked our dogs.

Did I miss anything ?

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Croth.6287

Croth.6287

75 wins here using mainly zombie/mummy. It’s fun to use other things every once in a while like the pig 2 attack. Most fun is probably the eagle as I made a witch defecate construction materials while chasing her around LA

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kore wa Sparta.3750

Kore wa Sparta.3750

I got to 25 wins legitly just by spamming f on the food fight tables. It’s not that hard. Then I found these wonderful cauldrons that put a costume on you. I turned in to an ooze and pressed 1. I hit everyone around me and instantly got 8 wins. I pressed it again and got 17. Once more and I hit 26. I was amazed. I did this all within 5 seconds. If only I knew sooner. I quit then, since I thought 25 was the limit because I got the achievement already, but now that I know there’s something at 500…. ooze time!

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: NeedsFoodBadly.2671

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

Pay2Win?? More like…Pay2Skin!!!! Amirite? :P

Remember: Don’t Shoot Food!

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Imo, the only thing is the perma daze on nearby foes. That’s so annoying and unfunny..

Anyway, who cares if they get more champion ranks than you? I’ve reach 25 multiple times and there’s nothing after that. Your King of the Costume Brawl boon stays at 25 and doesn’t go further, nor does it grant anything. I don’t know if it grants you a different crown over your head though, mine kept glitching and everytime I had 25, I had nothing over my head.

Andddd, what title?

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Every time you get the crown you get 1 point toward your achievement.

Okay the Costume Brawl King thing occurs after 25 successful hits on opponents. So if you manage to hit the 25 mark multiple times, you get multiple points towards your achievements. For example I’ve been King 10+ times, which is an achievement. The title they are talking about I think you get after becoming King like 150 times or something.

Remember though, you have longer than the next week to do this achievement, because costume brawl isn’t going away after the event.

On a side note to that. Those without access to keys, will not have access to tonics/costumes after this event is over. I propose with that in mind, that tonics become sell-able, thus allowing ALL players in the game access to costumes after the completion of the event.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The boxing gloves are cooler/better. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DJSkittles.7196

DJSkittles.7196

Ok i have a few questions, the first one being, are these costumes that you get from the forge permanent? And lastly, Has anyone fought against the pirate costume yet, and is it good?

Also, what is the cheapest costume you can buy that will work for the brawl?

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lakanna.2073

Lakanna.2073

Pay to win……..a title.

facepalm

Pay to win anything is a slippery slope. After all, what’s the difference between a PvE title and a PvP one? They’re all just data on ANet’s servers, after all.

Making the purchasable costumes so much better was a great way to raise money. Not such a great move for a game that is supposed to avoid the pay-to-win cash shop.

“entitled”: Ad Hominem fallacy condensed to a single word.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Leite.9475

Leite.9475

Pay to win……..a title.

facepalm

Pay to win anything is a slippery slope. After all, what’s the difference between a PvE title and a PvP one? They’re all just data on ANet’s servers, after all.

Making the purchasable costumes so much better was a great way to raise money. Not such a great move for a game that is supposed to avoid the pay-to-win cash shop.

double facepalm
if the costumes had anything to do with….. giving players who purchased them a meaningful advantage like leveling faster, making money faster, having a stat boost etc. then yeah it would be kinda stupid….. but really its a kitten title, and the event has only been out for one day

[Faith] – Maguuma ~ Sigzerker

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DenverRalphy.4185

DenverRalphy.4185

The Mad King costume is pay to win. If you buy it you become OP in costume brawl. Why do I say this? People with the Mad King costume now are placing food tables at hard to reach areas and just sniping everything in the area, they usually have 10+ brawl master because it’s too hard to reach them and they just fear you off the ledge or whatever if you do.

The flaw in your logic is you going for the cauldron in a hard to reach area. Grab one from an easier area (after all, they are everywhere). If you keep going up the same bottleneck so the same sniper can hit you every time… well that’s just your own fault. If you know there’s an alligator in the pool, don’t dive in the pool.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hexd.4796

Hexd.4796

No problem with the costumes, but the fact that they can pop in and out of the brawl to avoid being hit ruins the fun for everyone else

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sentinel VX.1392

Sentinel VX.1392

I have the mad king costume and yea those skills are just too op compare to other costume skills imo. I can easily hit and run with skill 3 and get tons of scores by doing so.

Sea of Sorrow since BWE.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

This was the worst topic ever created, can a MOD delete this rubbish? :/

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

Someone has gotten the 500 champion brawler achievement. You do not receive a title for completing it, so complaining about it is moot.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Troggdor.7324

Troggdor.7324

um maybe your not good at it you know how many times I have got my but kicked by a hawk or a moa or frog or…………. anyways try to play better I have mad king but have played with Calderon and still taken out mad king and witches.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

you know, i thought about making a joke thread begging to nerf a random costume.

then you went and posted a serious topic about it :|

also, i went on a 20 champion streak (as in got 25 points 20 times before being taken down) with the witch’s costume, and i have access to a free immunity skill for as long as i want.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Tyila.7596

Tyila.7596

There was one guy standing at the edge of the couldron on my server, throwing food and such at us running down on the floor, he had the mad kings costume… I just made it my personal goal to knock him off it and strip him from his crown (and with succes) …

Symbelmynë Laeyasee Dolyak Parcel Service [DPS]
Talatha Gaésian Dolyak Parcel Service [DPS]
home at Far Shiverpeaks.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Yeah, I kind of agree with the mad king costume being too powerful. It is pay to win a title. A title I will never have because I refuse to pay to win anything, ever. That’s why I liked GW1 so much.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jazneo.8213

Jazneo.8213

they denied say there game not pay 2 win but when you add skins or any item that look different in cash shop gamble box that make your game p2w because your force player to buy boxes to get new look skin. when they could use them as event items when you finish Halloween event get from chest. or just sold them as a limit time skin in the cash shop then you get people to buy them lot faster that way.

using gamble box method is more for a greed rich man idea to make more cash faster and i feel aeranet trying to get quick money

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Yeah, I kind of agree with the mad king costume being too powerful. It is pay to win a title. A title I will never have because I refuse to pay to win anything, ever. That’s why I liked GW1 so much.

Then jump up, go into the forge. Or better yet, find a cauldron a witch left, and get a free transform. OR you could use mystery tonics.

It’s not like Anet say’s “OH YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS” to take part, they give 3 options right now which are all Free for costumes to use.

A 4th Free option for participating is the food fighting table “mad king” costume can summon.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

I found this tip if you use the halloween tonics and stand right next to a table and you spam 1, you can bash everyone to oblivion. Using this technique, I can keep chains of 6+ brawl master up, I have yet to break 13 though.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

nerf… a costume?? seriously? o_O This is… :|

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: DKP.4196

DKP.4196

Well I do have a Mad King Costume…I have to say it is quite fun to place the tables as “bait” and aoe hit everyone in the bait Xd

I can agree that some people as like myself place the spawned tables at interesting spots, ive thought about it being a bug abuse, but since I can also be hit at the same time. I just see it as a tactical advantage for my costume. Some costumes have an advantage is certain locations, so why not my own?

Ofcourse if im invulnerable when I use the costume, then its unfair but since Im not idk:P

Costume Brawl is just fun:P No need to rage haha. Just be smart of where you pick to fight:) The mummies are brutal imo

One of the most enjoyable aspect of costume brawl is to hunt down a multi champion holder with a friend or two on voice:D

Thank you Anet;)

Keep trying, or die trying. Never give up, never forgive. We will Desolate. – Desolation
Not A Message.

(edited by DKP.4196)

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

I was gonna re-read this because I was sure I must be missing something but then um… I didn’t. To recap here, is someone complaining about a purchased temporary costume having some kind of expoitable glitch allowing them to win the costume brawl event? Is that really the gist of this post post? REALLY?!?!

I uh… I don’t really know what to do with that. I mean I attempt to come up with some kind of fresh insult but, you know, just the fact that the post exists precludes any possibility of further degradation. It’s mere existence mocks the point of it more than any extraneous insult ever could.

Bravo for that achievement? I guess?

I guess at most we can poke fun at whoever has the kind of disposable income that would allow them to even consider such a whimsical purchase but at the same time I guess they’re doing pretty well in life in general so that’s not really accomplishing much.

It’s an incredibly small and minor issue, treat it as such if you want it taken seriously on any level…

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Costume Brawl.

And you want to say it’s pay to win.

Win what?

A title?

Are people doing it without the Mad King costume?

They are?

Well maybe you’re just terrible then.

facepalm again

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaden.3162

Kaden.3162

i dont think this is OP unless i can beat down zhaitan with my mad king skills.

this is a silly side event thing that is actually easy to get even without the mad king skills.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Ehh team up with a friend and faceroll the other people^^ or get the skeleton tonic with range attack:F also you can interact with the table… I wish though that they removed it as an attack andmade it like the witch cauldon:)

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

Costume Brawl can be done anywhere in LA. If someone has a clear advantage by sniping, then just play far enough away from them. I don’t see the issue here.

A dev compared Costume Brawl to a game of tag. You play for the sake of fooling around. The achievement is just a bonus, since Costume Brawl is going to be something you can do whenever even after this event is over.

If this was tag, then your Mad King sniper is that kid up in the tree. You either spend a lot of energy climbing up it or you ignore him, making him lonely and bored.

Knowledge is power.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Leviatana.8107

Leviatana.8107

I have both the Mad King Costume and Witch Costumes but as far as i have seen they don’t give instant win buttons it’s just specific skills that have a opportunity to hit a dozen of people but in a small radius and if you get hit during this by something else you get interrupted except for the witches ooze pool though once it’s over the mummy can do some sort of pummel attack while you get back to your original form. It’s all about the timing!
Same can be thought of tonics mentioned before the Ooze, Eagle Raptor and most likely some other tonics. I actually wonder what the cooking outfit will do during the brawl. Slam people with frying pans and what not? Who knows!

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cassium.3240

Cassium.3240

Don’t think I saw this mentioned yet…if it has been, my bad. There is no title to this achievement. Nothing, nada, get to 500, end of the road. Also remember….gold → gems. I have pretty much anything I have wanted from the gem store and haven’t spent a dime of my own cash.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

I got to 40 stacks of ‘King of the Brawl’ with a Mummy outfit.

FREE2WIN

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

Pay to win what exactly? what are you winning? a little crown above your head for a few seconds? come on, if your armour was getting broken, or you were losing out on items etc, then i could understand as there is no real balance between any of the tonics. But this is a silly time wasting fun feature, i found being a pig and one of those little spiders or birds impossible against, mummy’s or mini golems etc, but it does not matter, it is just mess about nothing serious nothing to lose or gain.

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dwok Immortalus.2763

Dwok Immortalus.2763

If you are even moderately competent at melee, the mummy costume you get from the cauldron is by far the best brawl character.

1 – extremely fast attack speed, wide area attack
2 – damage immunity
3 – no limit aoe hit
4 – speed buff

Got my title within an hour, even with multiple Mad Kings in the area.

Dwok, the Undying
Support Warrior of Defiance[RUN]
Sanctum of Rall Server

Pay to Win

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Redrumickey.9672

Redrumickey.9672

Pay to win what? I got the title playing a pig .I may be missing something but people are taking what’s supposed to be fun and playing it like a paid pvp match winner takes all.