Why aren't we able to zoom out this far?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sebbern.3894

Sebbern.3894

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2393/gw021ri.jpg

I managed to zoom out this far because of something that happened during the cutscene. No idea how I triggered it, but it felt SO GOOD.

So why aren’t we able to? :\

EDIT: I got -testverticalfov already.

(edited by Sebbern.3894)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Xodus.7802

Xodus.7802

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Halloween Event

Sebbern.3894

… I already got that, and guess what. It is barely noticeable. I want to see even more!

Now that I think about it, I guess I should have noted that.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

It’s a shame they did not include it as a permanent feature as it was great to be able to zoom out that far…

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Yeah that zoom was awesome. Would like to see it in the future. Makes seeing those dangerous red circles a lot easier too.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

I want this so bad, I would pay gems for it.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Halloween Event

Sebbern.3894

I want this so bad, I would pay gems for it.

Same, it would be so nice to have something like this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Harbinger.1983

Harbinger.1983

I am able to zoom tis far outside the event dungeon on normal maps now, so i guess its a permanent feature ?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

The image the OP provided was someone using the fov hack…

in Halloween Event

titanlectro.5029

I am able to zoom tis far outside the event dungeon on normal maps now, so i guess its a permanent feature ?

It goes away when you reload the client

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I was able to zoom out that far as well… it was terrible, no wonder they restrict camera zoom in this game, it really isn’t meant to be played that far zoomed out.

in Halloween Event

Sebbern.3894

The image the OP provided was someone using the fov hack…

It was not. I went into the new dungeon and left, and it was still like this.

It is merely a bug with the new dungeon.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lwd.1264

Lwd.1264

I’m against zooming so far. Current FoV is almost ideal :P

All my answers are not official or something , I just have great experience ;)

in Halloween Event

Sebbern.3894

Then simply don’t zoom out that far.

in Halloween Event

titanlectro.5029

I completely respect why you would not want to have the extra zoom. However I think that it would be quite reasonable to make it an option, even if it has to be a launcher switch like the FoV beta.

(edited by titanlectro.5029)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I wouldn’t ever have my camera zoomed THAT far, but it’s still nice to have the option…..

Especially if I want to look at something.

And still I would like to have my camera permanently zoomed out like 10-15% more than the default distance.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Just being a terminology nazi for a second here:

Camera distance and zoom are different things.

Zooming in and out means changing the FoV (same as using a zoom lens). Your position stays fixed, and you just “widen the edges” of the image.

What the Mad King instance does is increase your maximum camera distance (controlled via the mouse wheel). They probably do this so you can actually see the Mad King; if they kept the old distance you would have trouble seeing above his waist, due to the low camera angle and reduced FoV that GW2 uses. If the game had a wider FoV and a higher camera target, this wouldn’t be necessary.

A lot of people have been asking for FoV slider in the options not just for situations like this one, but also because using an optically incorrect perspective gives several people headaches and nausea. The optically correct perspective depends on how big your monitor is and how far you sit from, and since different people have different-sized monitors and sit at different distances, there is no single FoV value that will work for everyone. That’s why 99% of 3D games have a FoV slider (something GW2 currently lacks).

This FoV control (like the zoom in a camera) is separate from the camera distance control. Although a higher camera distance will show you “more stuff”, it doesn’t correct the perspective, and makes your own character very small (a wider FoV allows the camera distance to be shorter, and still show a wide scene without making your character so small).

I’m just mentioning this because a lot of people seem to use “zoom” to mean “camera distance”, and what GW2 really needs is a zoom (FoV) control (although a way to set the maximum camera distance, like WoW has, would also be nice, since it would save us the trouble of using the mouse wheel to move closer; we could just set the maximum as our preferred distance and then scroll all the way back).

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

I’m loving the camera distance now. Sure sometimes I have to zoom in, but it gives me better perspective on where I am in comparison to my surroundings. I’m used to games where I feel a bit smaller due to the distance, and I prefer it that way, since I take up less of the screen, hence more screen space is used for scenery. I’m finding that the camera seems to adjust to obstacles better at this far distance as well, which I really really really like.

I might scream if it isn’t put in when they take the dungeon away…

The only thing I think could make this even better (although I would be happy as a mad king on halloween if it stayed this way, that’s pretty happy…) is if your character were further down on your screen instead of right in the middle. This would give more sky options….and reduce some of the exploitableness in pvp, since you would still have to look behind you…

(edited by zaxziakohl.5243)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Harbinger.1983

Harbinger.1983

First point, this is an awesome option to be in the game for the majority of the players.
Second point, to the single guy that dont like it, its a user controled OPTION, dont like it, dont zoom that far, problem solved.
Third point, sPvP, simply lock the zoom to the current short distance like its now when entering pvp, problem solved.

Theres just no reason for this not to be in the game, no matter how you look at it.

Any questions ?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lwd.1264

Lwd.1264

Yep – I don’t like idea of far away character which I can’t actually see. If there’ll be an option for zooming – we’ll have to max zoom or we’ll be in great disadvantage considering to other players.

As an example: imagine that someone on DoTa2 championship zooming out so he can see all map, that’ll be cheating and you want such cheating be implanted into game.

All my answers are not official or something , I just have great experience ;)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Passive Aggressive.3154

Passive Aggressive.3154

If ANet doesn’t make this a permanent feature of the game they are out of their minds.

“Do what you want to do and don’t tell other people how to behave.” ~ Ruth Stout

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

I noticed this first thing once we started the Black King instance, but the great thing was it STUCK with me after the instance. Sucks for trying to complete the clock tower again, as I can no longer find a comfortable zoom for that puzzel, but awesome for everything else.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

The problem with this is that Arenanet built the game around a certain camera distance, any further and in the game world we may sometimes see things we’re not supposed to (out of maps, over walls with nothing behind them, etc) and it also opens up the possibility to be exploited in WvW & sPvP with people being able to see over walls easily. Also it gives an advantage to people who choose to zoom out to such a ridiculous level forcing anyone at all serious about the game to follow suit even if they don’t want to.

Besides, they already increased distance during one of the beta events and I quite like the more personal feel of being closer in; after all, it’s an RPG, not an RTS.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

(edited by Ickorus.4518)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

This would break WvW cause you can then place GTAEs everywhere in a keep from outside

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

If this breaks PvP then Norn/Charr break pvp.

It’s refreshing to finally have good camera distance on my asura……..

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

I don’t use any hacking or bot programs. I was in LA and noticed I can zoom out pretty dam far now. Farther then before.

Maybe the camera range doesn’t zoom out after you do Mad King?

in Halloween Event

Sebbern.3894

Zooming in and out means changing the FoV (same as using a zoom lens). Your position stays fixed, and you just “widen the edges” of the image.

What the Mad King instance does is increase your maximum camera distance (controlled via the mouse wheel). They probably do this so you can actually see the Mad King; if they kept the old distance you would have trouble seeing above his waist, due to the low camera angle and reduced FoV that GW2 uses. If the game had a wider FoV and a higher camera target, this wouldn’t be necessary.

A lot of people have been asking for FoV slider in the options not just for situations like this one, but also because using an optically incorrect perspective gives several people headaches and nausea. The optically correct perspective depends on how big your monitor is and how far you sit from, and since different people have different-sized monitors and sit at different distances, there is no single FoV value that will work for everyone. That’s why 99% of 3D games have a FoV slider (something GW2 currently lacks).

This FoV control (like the zoom in a camera) is separate from the camera distance control. Although a higher camera distance will show you “more stuff”, it doesn’t correct the perspective, and makes your own character very small (a wider FoV allows the camera distance to be shorter, and still show a wide scene without making your character so small).

I’m just mentioning this because a lot of people seem to use “zoom” to mean “camera distance”, and what GW2 really needs is a zoom (FoV) control (although a way to set the maximum camera distance, like WoW has, would also be nice, since it would save us the trouble of using the mouse wheel to move closer; we could just set the maximum as our preferred distance and then scroll all the way back).

Yeah, sorry, I just got all excited about it. I do know the difference though and I do see why you get a little “terminology nazi”. :P

Yep – I don’t like idea of far away character which I can’t actually see. If there’ll be an option for zooming – we’ll have to max zoom or we’ll be in great disadvantage considering to other players.

As an example: imagine that someone on DoTa2 championship zooming out so he can see all map, that’ll be cheating and you want such cheating be implanted into game.

I hope you realise that changing your resolution more or less changes the camera distance a lot, right? There exists a fog of war in that game, and it is there for a reason.

The problem with this is that Arenanet built the game around a certain camera distance, any further and in the game world we may sometimes see things we’re not supposed to (out of maps, over walls with nothing behind them, etc) and it also opens up the possibility to be exploited in WvW & sPvP with people being able to see over walls easily. Also it gives an advantage to people who choose to zoom out to such a ridiculous level forcing anyone at all serious about the game to follow suit even if they don’t want to.

Besides, they already increased distance during one of the beta events and I quite like the more personal feel of being closer in; after all, it’s an RPG, not an RTS.

I guess people may utilize this to check if the tower has any siege in it or something, but I as a MMORPG player would really like to see more of the world and less of my characters back.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

I was ecstatic at first as I thought this was a stealth fix to the zoom, was very sad to learn it was just a dungeon bug. I get that some areas (Inquisition comes to mind) require camera distance limitations — but at least let us use a proper zoom distance for general play.

Situational awareness was through the roof, gonna be hard leaving it behind.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Melesie.5723

Melesie.5723

I hope you realise that changing your resolution more or less changes the camera distance a lot, right? There exists a fog of war in that game, and it is there for a reason.

Well, I can’t speak for DotA since I don’t have that much experience with it, but changing resolution in 3D game usually doesn’t affect view at all, or it changes only FoV, since you need to compensate for different aspect ratio (going from 4:3 to 16:9 either means you stretch the image, or change FoV accordingly).

Back in 2D games, such as Diablo 2, different resolution meant you could see more, so you’re not entirely wrong. It’s just a little different when you’re dealing with 3D.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

Wait, what? I don’t get it.

On my camera (physical in-real-life camera) there is no difference between me moving closer to my target, or just zooming in via a telescopic lens. Both will result in a larger image (in terms of magnification) with a smaller area captured.

What’s the difference here?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

Being able to zoom out that far as a result of the mad king stuff was the single best part of halloween for sure. It just feels wonderful to be actually able to SEE THINGS.

The default FOV is horridly restrictive and so narrow it makes my head hurt because it is so unnatural.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: OldRodKS.9758

OldRodKS.9758

Dragon events have had this zoom for a while. If you do the Claw of Jormag, you notice it zoom in during the transitions between phases, and zoom out again when the dragon lands and you can fight it.

I would love for this to be a permanent option to allow us to zoom out further.

Playing on Tarnished Coast
Playing a various Stormspire alt – if it’s Stormspire, it’s probably me
Guilds: Elder Prophets [EP], Principality of New Katulus (PiNK)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Melesie.5723

Melesie.5723

Wait, what? I don’t get it.

On my camera (physical in-real-life camera) there is no difference between me moving closer to my target, or just zooming in via a telescopic lens. Both will result in a larger image (in terms of magnification) with a smaller area captured.

What’s the difference here?

I believe what he meant by “zoom” was effect of focal length on FoV. I will borrow the explanation from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length): “longer focal length leads to higher magnification and a narrower angle of view; conversely, shorter focal length is associated with a wider angle of view”. In other words, by increasing focal length of a lens, you get magnification effect. IIRC, longer focal lengths tend to change perspective as well, making it sometimes unnatural.

I’m no expert on photography and cameras though, so I could be wrong here.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

What’s confusing me (about what he’s trying to say) is that if you get closer (reduce distance) then you also end up having a higher magnification with a narrower angle of view. There shouldn’t be any difference between “camera distance” and “camera zoom”, since zoom is essentially reducing the apparent distance.

I would think the camera equivalent to FoV would be fisheye lenses, which is different from “distance” and “zoom”.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

I had this happen a few times after entering the mad king dungeon but i always zoomed back in a bit, not a fan of it being zoomed out that far.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

The only good thing the entire community would have love, that camera distance, obiouvsly was a bug, haha

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

The far away camera distance was intended for boss fights and I sincerely hope it stays that way.
The Mad King instance bug made me realize how bad it is to have the camera so far. You can barely see the animations of characters, and the situational awareness this gives destroys stealth play as well as many maps designed for the default zoom. At Lunatic Inquisition I could see well over the walls.