God selection during character creation

in Human

Posted by: Phalanix.7542

Phalanix.7542

So does choosing which god blessed you during charater creation actually do anything? Still can’t find out what the point of that question was. Anyone know?

in Human

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Check your home district. There should be a priest in the market area somewhere that changes based on what you selected.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Human

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Really only a priest? That is pretty useless lol. The other races have the same then? Only person changing based on the 3rd question? And probably only tto talk? Or is he selling something – then probably only useless stuff?

in Human

Posted by: vonBoomslang.8296

vonBoomslang.8296

The third choice has always been cosmetic – the most I’ve seen it affect is which warbandmate survives and eventually becomes your second in command.

in Human

Posted by: Phalanix.7542

Phalanix.7542

For the Humans, the gods blessing question doesn’t add any cosmetic effect to the character, as far as I can tell. I thought the character would receive some sort of stat bonus depending on the god selected, but I haven’t noticed any differences.

Will check the home district and see what tha priest is all about.

One thing I hate about these character creation questions is the ambiguity of some of the questions.

(edited by Phalanix.7542)

in Human

Posted by: ZoiN.4280

ZoiN.4280

Seems like I have to check my home district as well, since I have been wondering about this myself.

Which also brings me to – what does the third question change for sylvari even >_<

in Human

Posted by: Eltreum.8607

Eltreum.8607

i thought that the god selection affected the shouts your character sometimes says. Like:

“Balthazar give me strength”
“I am death incarnate!”

Or something like that.

in Human

Posted by: Kaukomieli.6740

Kaukomieli.6740

i thought that the god selection affected the shouts your character sometimes says. Like:

“Balthazar give me strength”
“I am death incarnate!”

Or something like that.

‘I am death incarnate’ is a necro line when they enter death shroud. The other one might have something to do with a boon activating, or then it’s a shout coming with a skill. (?) Don’t quote me on that, but you can quote me on the necro line, because I play a necro and she’s a sylvari; therefore not affiliated with the human god at all.

I always thought the god selection determined which god NPCs refer to if you greet them, but I might be wrong, like ‘Melandru guide you’ or whatever it is they say. I really have to check that now. ^^

in Human

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

Unlike the choices of some other races, our god selection is more for flavor and not for substance. Now a Charr’s choice immediately affects what class of NPC pet they have running around with them in Story Missions. Therefore a Charr would experience things rather different between things like the Engineer, Guardian, and Thief options (beyond their own voices and talking styles). However we really don’t get that as a Human.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

in Human

Posted by: Ashodin.7604

Ashodin.7604

I honestly think choice of god at the beginning should give access to a special elite or utility.

in Human

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Balthazar give me strength is the shout for hounds of Balthazar.

in Human

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

I was a bit confused when I saw that we can choose any of the six goods as a patron. For example the warrior’s patron suppose to be only Balthazar.

Why can we choose any of the six gods as a patron? Why? What happened? I’m not complaining, it’s just interesting and I want to know why is that. =)

I’m really confused that we can use, for example Hounds of Balthazar whether you choose Balthazar as a patron or not. It suppose to be only for warrior as a Balthazar followers, or at least for those, who choose Balthazar as a patron.

But when I choose patron, I didn’t think about abilities we can use after that. I thought about story line. I thought we can talk with god we chose, or at least this god somehow interact in our story line.

Seize the day.

(edited by Kreslin.6832)

in Human

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I know I’ve heard my thief mention something about Grenth when entering the downed state, I dunno if that’s because I picked Grenth, or just because death is imminent though.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in Human

Posted by: Ender.8297

Ender.8297

With my human ele, I picked Balthazar. She’s mentions Blathazar when I attune to fire… is everyone’s ele like that? Also, I thought the hounds were only offered to me because I choose Balthazar, guess I was wrong.

And what the f does the priest do?

in Human

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Elementalists draw strength from all the Gods (Minus kormir). Balthazar for fire, Grenth for ice, Dwayna for Air, Melandru for Earth and Lyssa for energy (which doesn’t apply much in GW2 anymore, I suppose). The human female (possibly male, I don’t know) refers to Balthazar when you attune to fire and Grenth when you attune to water. As far as I know, they don’t mention any of the other Gods in their attunements, which is a shame.

The question isn’t asking you which God your character prays to (it’s assumed most pray to all 6, anyway, but draw strength from particular ones) but who they were said to have been blessed by through the words of others. I would imagine, if a human found a baby beautiful, they would say they were blessed by Lyssa. If the child is full of a lot of spirit, then Kormir, or courage, then Balthazar.

That’s not to say that there aren’t humans that only care for 1 god. The priests of (x) seem to be those people, and hey, if you want your character to only like 1 god for RP purposes then go for it.

As for gameplay wise, I haven’t noticed it personally. It wouldn’t surprise me if it affects your home instance as other choices you make later on during your personal story do. I’m almost certain I have a priest of Kormir outside my orphanage though, despite the fact I chose Balthazar, so I’m not overly sure what it affects.

(edited by JayMack.8295)

in Human

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

I believe it was said once that some choices would have relevance in expansions, so maybe this is something to do with that? A slow burner that will be picked up later on or something.

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

in Human

Posted by: Dragonhero.1852

Dragonhero.1852

Mine referred to malandru when I swapped to earth. I chose malandru for him. Also Kormir has dominion over water know.

in Human

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Heum yes it does have something to do with your personal story.
For me, in the Durmand Priory Storyline, when i had to defeat a champion of Zaithan, i passed through a ritual wich transformed me into an avatar of the god i chose. In my case, Balthazar. Really awesome skills and appareance.
So yup.
It probably has something else to do with them, I just don’t know yet.

in Human

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Djahlat,

I know of the quest you’re talking about as I did the same thing except my god was Dwayna so it doesn’t have an effect there.

in Human

Posted by: Kelesti.2458

Kelesti.2458

@Djahlat,

As one blessed by Lyssa, I also had the Balthazar effect during that particular personal story mission, so I don’t think that’s really it.

in Human

Posted by: melkathi.5203

melkathi.5203

@Djahlat
Gixx actually explains the whole idol of Balthazar thing.
I did the same mission as an Asura

in Human

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

For me, in the Durmand Priory Storyline, when i had to defeat a champion of Zaithan, i passed through a ritual wich transformed me into an avatar of the god i chose. In my case, Balthazar. Really awesome skills and appareance.
So yup.

My Elementalist can turn into Grenth but I picked Balthazar for my god.

in Human

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

So far, I’ve seen no evidence for this having any affect on anything. I’ll keep my eyes open, though, I guess.

My Elementalist can turn into Grenth but I picked Balthazar for my god.

That’s just a human elite. human racials

in Human

Posted by: Blade Kuroda.1795

Blade Kuroda.1795

There was one small thing later in the personal story.
When going into the Cathedral of Silence and dealing with the Reaper of Grenth and talking to one of the NPC's on the side. There was one option where she said something like "You were always one of his best followers" in response. I'm assuming that one little option/answer is only for people who picked Grenth. I'm not 100% sure, but it definitely shouldn't show up for non-human characters since that'd make even less sense..

in Human

Posted by: Link.4607

Link.4607

So yup.

This is just a fluke, I think. Unless I’m mistaken; I picked Grenth as my God. I was Balthazar for this quest.

in Human

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

From my understanding I think some of the choices will matter more in future content.

in Human

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

From my understanding I think some of the choices will matter more in future content.

That would be cool, but I very much doubt it’ll happen.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Human

Posted by: Malbec.2614

Malbec.2614

I have noticed that depending on the god that you select some skills change. I have two human thieves and for both of them I selected different gods (Dwayna and the other I can’t remember). The thief with Dwayna’s blessings has 4 healing skills while the other has only 3. Also, their elite skills are different.