Another option to store gold

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zaeon.3846

Zaeon.3846

Since they are removing the safety of putting our gold in the bank…

Aside from personal guild vault, another option to store gold is via the tp order feature. Simply order items that are ridiculously expensive but put significantly lower order price for each item.

Example: If you have 4000g, you can place an order of 80 Bifrosts for 50g each. (You can also spread the order around)

Just be careful with the numbers you are putting in the order form, because you know… accidents do happen…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I foresee there being thousands of new buy orders placed on Twilight between 1 and 50g after this patch. Twilight will never sell for 1 to 50g and it’s quick to access this item from the Top Valued Items list in the TP search area so making a new buy order to store your gold will be real quick.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Jahiliyya.7095

Jahiliyya.7095

Maybe I’m giving ANet too much credit, but wouldn’t it be great if they implemented the wallet, but didn’t remove the bank feature (or vault feature as I would think of it) when implementing this improvement. (And it is an improvement, and thank you ANet for doing it.)

Commander Jam, The Republic [SPQR] on Sanctum of Rall
Jumble Akimbo
Jahiliyya Akimbo

in Queen's Jubilee

Zaeon.3846

I remember back in November last year when my guild leader got hacked, he lost everything in his bank but all of his orders were untouched. He retained some of his money this way.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

wait, so we can’t put money in the bank any more? What if I’m stupid and make a typo on the TP etc etc?

in Queen's Jubilee

Zaeon.3846

wait, so we can’t put money in the bank any more? What if I’m stupid and make a typo on the TP etc etc?

That happened to someone while I was porting with my mesmer in a jp chest, he accidentally sent me 20g, I clicked the “return to sender” thinngy and he explained he got excited and sent on accident.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

Is there any official word on the status of Bank gold deposits? Will those of us just short of 200 gold be taunted by the removal of the Golden achievement, leaving those with that title to gloat?

IDEALLY, coin should NOT be shared in the wallet. It should remain character specific. The bank allows transfers easily enough, and it just breaks all common sense to have money be simultaneously carried by everyone.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Golden remains, it just means 200 gold in the wallet now. This was confirmed.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: CMEPTb.8091

CMEPTb.8091

Having both a Wallet and Bank is an impossibility:
Martin Kerstein —

It is not as simple as having both, it is something that is within the code and the interaction of multiple different elements of the game. So it might look like an easy thing on the outside – under the hood there is a lot of programming magic going on. So if you need to have a bankspace to protect yourself from – well – yourself, you have to use the “individual guild” route.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/jubilee/Token-Wallet-Thank-you-a-net/page/5

ANet is taking the practical route of the Wallet — thank you! The safeguard issue can still be had through a personal Guild Bank. Perhaps more of a hassle, but the option is still there. The only other safeguard option I would propose would be to have a “Are you sure you want to place your order” message, but that would really slow down the market.

Will those of us just short of 200 gold be taunted by the removal of the Golden achievement, leaving those with that title to gloat?

I would not put it past ANet to simply bring the title from the Bank to the Wallet.

(edited by CMEPTb.8091)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Yes, the “Golden” title can still be acquired, simply by having 200g, since depositing coins into the bank is no longer possible.

Confirmed

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Having a wallet and bank storage should be easy. However, their implementation is probably a series of band-aids, making it hard to work with the older it gets. For example, they probably just tacked on the ability to store other currencies in what was once the gold storage of the bank.

A personal guild bank is the new way to store your gold. I like to keep a few hundred gold in the bank as a safety net. Storing it in the TP itself is not an option since sometimes I leave hundreds of items in there, which I don’t have the room to store myself. When there’s enough items in there, it becomes paged, meaning you can’t take your gold out until you remove everything before it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

IDEALLY, coin should NOT be shared in the wallet. It should remain character specific. The bank allows transfers easily enough, and it just breaks all common sense to have money be simultaneously carried by everyone.

I disagree with this. I love the idea of sharing money across all my characters so that I no longer have to rely on putting money into the bank anymore.

I don’t really see why people need storage for gold. But I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t have a mule guild to store stuff anyways. I have 2 mule guilds for storage.

in Queen's Jubilee

Zaeon.3846

How exactly do personal guild vaults work? More specifically, can you accidentally disband the guild and lose the vault contents? Or do you have to empty a vault first to disband the guild?

in Queen's Jubilee

laokoko.7403

I disagree with this. I love the idea of sharing money across all my characters so that I no longer have to rely on putting money into the bank anymore.

I don’t really see why people need storage for gold. But I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t have a mule guild to store stuff anyways. I have 2 mule guilds for storage.

Human errors. If I could have a dollar for everytime I see someone complaining about typo and lossing huge money from TP on the “some other game” forum, I’d have a few hundred dollar.

I’ve made lot of error on TP before. I put offer of 30 silver instead of 30 copper, input item price and item amount in reverse. But everytime I was saved because “I didnt’ carry alot of money on me”.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Queen's Jubilee

laokoko.7403

How exactly do personal guild vaults work? More specifically, can you accidentally disband the guild and lose the vault contents? Or do you have to empty a vault first to disband the guild?

I never tried, but I think if you accidently clicked step down, you lost everything. So I dont’ put anything of important in my guildbank. Mostly trakittenem.

Anyhow, I think the best way is to keep a “mule” to represent your guild bank all the time. Instead of keep representing guild to guild, so you won’t accidently click leave guild.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

So they have to anticipate on every human error now?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Aranox.1049

Aranox.1049

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Rick Cook

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

That quote is magnificent.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s a big shame this isn’t possible. Even with the guild bank option it’s going to require a big re-think in the way I manage my gold, since the guild bank isn’t as accessible as the normal bank.

I can understand if it’s not possible, but I do wish they’d realised that a lot of players would want that seperation and factored it in from the start.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Queen's Jubilee

Zaeon.3846

They claim that it’s an impossibility at this point for the programmers to include both the wallet as well as the bank feature to still store gold…. But I think that claim is just a way of them telling us to just accept the change.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the account wallet feature. It would save me 3-4 bank tabs having ~10k wvw badges and a bank tab full of dungeon tokens and fractal relics. But I also have a lot of gold that I’ve been saving for 10 months…. and if I lose them all due to a single accident I think that would be enough for me to want to quit…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

They claim that it’s an impossibility at this point for the programmers to include both the wallet as well as the bank feature to still store gold…. But I think that claim is just a way of them telling us to just accept the change.

While I think that may be the crux of the statement, I think the change involved an either/or technical choice in the design and “impossible” means they aren’t going to trash all the work they did to implement and test the incoming Wallet update and go back and do MUCH more work to put both in place.

In terms of resource availability, I can understand their stance on this. Obviously, if it presents a huge issue in the community, they may re-evaluate the situtation, but unless it is completely game-breaking for a significant portion of the player base, I wouldn’t hold my breath for both.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Rick Cook

……….I think I shall put that in my sig now, thank you.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Holy crap. This whole argument is ludicrous. All my laurels are in one spot, I could accidentally buy that stupid cat thing, OMG NEED A LAURELS BANK BEFORE I STUPID MYSELF TO DEARTH!

Repeat with karma, badges, dungeon tokens, ectos, whatever.

Of all the issues in game, this so far from issue #1 as a fart in the wind.

PLEASE move on.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Having both a Wallet and Bank is an impossibility:
Martin Kerstein —

It is not as simple as having both, it is something that is within the code and the interaction of multiple different elements of the game. So it might look like an easy thing on the outside – under the hood there is a lot of programming magic going on. So if you need to have a bankspace to protect yourself from – well – yourself, you have to use the “individual guild” route.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/jubilee/Token-Wallet-Thank-you-a-net/page/5

ANet is taking the practical route of the Wallet — thank you! The safeguard issue can still be had through a personal Guild Bank. Perhaps more of a hassle, but the option is still there. The only other safeguard option I would propose would be to have a “Are you sure you want to place your order” message, but that would really slow down the market.

Will those of us just short of 200 gold be taunted by the removal of the Golden achievement, leaving those with that title to gloat?

I would not put it past ANet to simply bring the title from the Bank to the Wallet.

We still have guild banks, so it’s not impossible.

Holy crap. This whole argument is ludicrous. All my laurels are in one spot, I could accidentally buy that stupid cat thing, OMG NEED A LAURELS BANK BEFORE I STUPID MYSELF TO DEARTH!

PLEASE move on.

You are always asked to confirm laurel and token purchases. That doesn’t happen with gold and the trading post.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I never tried, but I think if you accidently clicked step down, you lost everything. So I dont’ put anything of important in my guildbank. Mostly trakittenem.

Anyhow, I think the best way is to keep a “mule” to represent your guild bank all the time. Instead of keep representing guild to guild, so you won’t accidently click leave guild.

It doesn’t matter if no one is representing. All that matters is if there is at least one person in the guild. So as long as you don’t leave your guild, it’s good. There’s also a confirmation for leaving guilds saying “Are you sure you want to leave [insert guild name here]?”, so it’s not something that’s likely to happen by mistake.

in Queen's Jubilee

Zaeon.3846

It doesn’t matter if no one is representing. All that matters is if there is at least one person in the guild. So as long as you don’t leave your guild, it’s good. There’s also a confirmation for leaving guilds saying “Are you sure you want to leave [insert guild name here]?”, so it’s not something that’s likely to happen by mistake.

ah. I did some reading around and found a bunch of instances where people’s guilds just disappeared without disbanding it or transferring to another server. The thought of that makes me distrust putting 10 months worth of saved gold into a guild bank. I think I’ll just put those golds in tp orders.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nova.8021

Nova.8021

My advice to everyone who wants their gold secure, get a personal guild bank. It cost me 2g to make mine and have 50 slots in it. You would be deluding yourself to think your gold was any safer in your personal bank anyway, with all due respect.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

What? I will not be able do deposit my gold in the bank anymore? i will lose my money? I will sue Anet if my gold simply disappear from my bank.

in Queen's Jubilee

Danikat.8537

PLEASE move on.

The difference for me is that all the other currencies (except karma) are only used for specific things. If you accidentally spend all your laurels, or dungeon tokens or whatever you’re not stuck unable to buy salvage kits and gathering tools, or use waypoints, or repair your armor or buy other basic everyday items.

Plus as someone else pointed out other currencies require you to confirm a purchase whereas gold doesn’t.

(And finally people don’t only discuss the one issue they consider most important. Just because someone is commenting here doesn’t mean they’ve forgotten everything else in the game and this is now their sole priority, just like I’m sure informing us of your opinion on our opinions is (hopefully) not all that important to you. It might just be that they stumbled across this topic and wanted to share their thoughts.)

What? I will not be able do deposit my gold in the bank anymore? i will lose my money? I will sue Anet if my gold simply disappear from my bank.

No you won’t be able to deposit it, but you won’t simply lose it either.

It will be moved to the new wallet, along with all your other currencies. So it will be like you’ve withdrawn it all and are carrying it around on your character, but if you switch to another character they’ll automatically be carrying it instead.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

Ok so Im a bit confused here…..the wallet is going to automatically take the gold from my bank and put it into the wallet? You guys are talking about taking precautions because…..?

Im just curious +really confused reading this thread right now

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

ah. I did some reading around and found a bunch of instances where people’s guilds just disappeared without disbanding it or transferring to another server. The thought of that makes me distrust putting 10 months worth of saved gold into a guild bank. I think I’ll just put those golds in tp orders.

Is that so? Well I think I’m going to go represent them on some alts now just in case. I have too much money in trade goods sitting in there to risk anything.

in Queen's Jubilee

Danikat.8537

For what it’s worth I’ve got a personal storage guild which I’ve had for months and which is usually not represented by any of my characters and I’ve never lost the bank or anything in there.

I’ve also discovered today that you can buy guild bank access items from the commendation trader relatively cheaply, so you don’t have to be in a major city to access your guild bank. And you can access your guild bank while guesting too.

Ok so Im a bit confused here…..the wallet is going to automatically take the gold from my bank and put it into the wallet? You guys are talking about taking precautions because…..?

We’re not taking precautions against gold moving to the wallet.

The problem is that a lot of people use the current character/bank divide to manage their money. For example I keep a little bit of gold (silver actually) on each of my characters for their ‘expenses’ – things like waypoints, armor repairs, gathering tools and salvage kits. Then all my other gold goes into the bank to be saved up for big purchases. Doing it this way means it’s easy to keep track of how much I can spend on expensive and/or non-essential things like minis or skins without worrying that I’ll be stuck unable to afford the everyday essentials.

The new wallet is taking away that option, it merges all your gold into one pool so there is no easy way to keep separate amounts for different purposes.

So we’re talking about other ways to achieve that. As far as I can see my options come down to shifting my saved gold to my personal guild bank or keeping a spreadsheet of who needs what and subtracting that from my total gold every time I want to buy something.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

I remember back in November last year when my guild leader got hacked, he lost everything in his bank but all of his orders were untouched. He retained some of his money this way.

Haha, funny story.

In my case I’m using tp to avoid travel fee when I die.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

For what it’s worth I’ve got a personal storage guild which I’ve had for months and which is usually not represented by any of my characters and I’ve never lost the bank or anything in there.

I’ve also discovered today that you can buy guild bank access items from the commendation trader relatively cheaply, so you don’t have to be in a major city to access your guild bank. And you can access your guild bank while guesting too.

We’re not taking precautions against gold moving to the wallet.

The problem is that a lot of people use the current character/bank divide to manage their money. For example I keep a little bit of gold (silver actually) on each of my characters for their ‘expenses’ – things like waypoints, armor repairs, gathering tools and salvage kits. Then all my other gold goes into the bank to be saved up for big purchases. Doing it this way means it’s easy to keep track of how much I can spend on expensive and/or non-essential things like minis or skins without worrying that I’ll be stuck unable to afford the everyday essentials.

The new wallet is taking away that option, it merges all your gold into one pool so there is no easy way to keep separate amounts for different purposes.

So we’re talking about other ways to achieve that. As far as I can see my options come down to shifting my saved gold to my personal guild bank or keeping a spreadsheet of who needs what and subtracting that from my total gold every time I want to buy something.

So after getting merged to the wallet, I cant withdraw a bit to keep on 1 character?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

No, the wallet will be like your laurels are now. I don’t know what the UI interface will be for access, but money and tokens and karma will just become numbers in a list and will be 100% available to each alt. The only way to keep money on an alt is not to log that alt in after the patch, which defeats the purpose.

If you want a gold stash for later, I suppose you could shift a ton of gold to a mule and then never log that mule until the moment you want the funds.

in Queen's Jubilee

Danikat.8537

Gold (and all other currencies) will work like gems and laurels do now. They’ll all be lumped in together with no way to separate them, accessible by all your characters at any time.

I’m not sure how it will be displayed through, I hadn’t really thought about that and I don’t remember seeing any screenshots. They can’t just add a bunch of extra lines to the bottom of the inventory, that would be a mess.

Maybe a separate panel below the bags in your inventory, or a tab on the hero panel or something.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: xil.5140

xil.5140

And this is when the personal Guild Bank becomes a necessity…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

And this is when the personal Guild Bank becomes a necessity…

Yeah and it was even the suggestion a dev gave when people said they didn’t like the new account gold sharing.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: xil.5140

xil.5140

It’s kinda sad that they are agreeing to do that.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

By putting your gold into BLTC you agree with possibility of evon siding with his old buddy zommoros and stealing them.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

Ah the ingenuity of the internet. Though I think the personal guild bank solution would probably be more workable (using it as a ‘buffer’ for the character you’re playing and keeping track of the per-character gold amounts on paper), this one is sufficiently hilarious to have cheered me up a lot :p