Short Story: Delegation

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/delegation/

Enjoyed the story. I wonder if most Charr are as superstitious as Rox?

Also, Frostbite is awesome. Makes me want to give my ranger’s main pet some more personality.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Reading is for quitters! I’ll wait to see the movie.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

Next

Glad you enjoyed the story—thanks very much!

As for Rox’s, she’s unusually superstitious for a charr (or anyone else, really). A lot of soldiers are superstitious, but Rox was ahead of the curve before she survived the accident that killed her warband. Since she survived on almost pure luck (she was out of the mine when the disaster happened), she’s become even moreso.

Cheers, and thanks again,

—Scott McG

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Very nice piece of read!
However I think that it should be showed to us before the main event – it would build climate and give us some much needed background (even if only from Charr point of view). Hope we get more of short stories!

(edited by Gizmo.8623)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

As for Rox’s, she’s unusually superstitious for a charr (or anyone else, really). A lot of soldiers are superstitious, but Rox was ahead of the curve before she survived the accident that killed her warband. Since she survived on almost pure luck (she was out of the mine when the disaster happened), she’s become even moreso.

I understand her belief in her trinkets, but what’s up with the spitting? O.o?

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I saw that cutscene. Destiny’s Edge was on a, uh…um…skyship to Cantha and Logan Thackeray had a dream that it was going to crash and kill everyone. They got off the, um, skyship and as they were freaking out inside the lob..er…at the waypoint, the skyship crashed…killing Rox’s old warband and all else onboard.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

nice character development, I wished it would be ingame though…

I don’t get it why storytelling is so rare in living story updates. I think the new cutscene + NPC chatter is really good in the current update, but much too short imho. Posts like these implemented in the game-UI could be quite a big tool to help players build a connection to the characters.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

in Queen's Jubilee

inazuma.7021

It’s probably the Charr equivalent of crossing your fingers or knocking on wood.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

“’Don’t blame her,’ Rox said. ‘You’re the one who peed on her boots.’”

….Do insects pee? I didn’t think their bodies worked that way. Don’t they barf up all their waste?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

I don’t get it why storytelling is so rare in living story updates. I think the new cutscene + NPC chatter is really good in the current update, but much too short imho. Posts like these implemented in the game-UI could be quite a big tool to help players build a connection to the characters.

Or in the world in general. I made a suggestion ages ago very shortly before or after release (probably both), about the implementation of collectable scrolls/tablets that provided some little background to out of the way places that had no real explanation or events to them. It could’ve been rolled into the UI with a multi-tab for Personal Story (My Story), Living Story (Our Story? referring to adventurers or something, I dunno), and History under a revised Story tab.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I don’t think the Short Stories themselves as written would fit into the game very well unless there’s an entire guild on Tyria dedicated to writing fanfiction…

in Queen's Jubilee

inazuma.7021

….Do insects pee? I didn’t think their bodies worked that way. Don’t they barf up all their waste?

A quick google and we discover that… Yes, they pee. It’s uric acid. They also do #2.

insert “The More You Know” logo here

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: dargosian.2704

dargosian.2704

IMO, this short story should have been an instance in the game. We meet up with Rox under the Death Star, and then journey up with her. We listen to the conversation. We then, in a separate instance in Cragstead, invite Braham to the celebrations on behalf of Rox. Easy-peasy, and it doesn’t feel as random for them to be in the Pavilion when we first enter.

Now that I’m talking about it, might as well say that the instances should be available only to those who got the F&F achievements, and that there are no achievements for doing the instances. Just for the sake of the story being in the game, y’know, and making it feel like you actually are part of Rox’s and Braham’s lives.

Threadmancer, trollgineer, hecklementalist, and warrior. Forum warrior.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I enjoyed the story as well! Rox is a fun character and this helped show a little more of her personality. Plus Frostbite rocks

IMO, this short story should have been an instance in the game. We meet up with Rox under the Death Star, and then journey up with her. We listen to the conversation. We then, in a separate instance in Cragstead, invite Braham to the celebrations on behalf of Rox. Easy-peasy, and it doesn’t feel as random for them to be in the Pavilion when we first enter.

Now that I’m talking about it, might as well say that the instances should be available only to those who got the F&F achievements, and that there are no achievements for doing the instances. Just for the sake of the story being in the game, y’know, and making it feel like you actually are part of Rox’s and Braham’s lives.

It might have been nice to see the scene in-game but that would have taken more resources and time. With a two-week schedule, I don’t mind if they supplement the story by dividing the effort and letting the writers show a little more details with short stories like this.

I have to completely disagree about not allowing access to story if players did not accomplish X achievement or Y goal. Story is one of the unifying elements of the entire community, it should be something all players share whether they are casual or hardcore or in-between. It gives GW2 players something in common like how fans of a TV show can talk about the latest episode.

Access to the story should never be limtied just because someone didn’t have time to attain a particular achievement. And if players are blocked out of later story instances because they missed achievements from an earlier event, how are they supposed to get into the story instances at all? Completing the current event achievement, which would dump them into the middle of a story without being able to see the earlier parts?

I believe story should be accessible to all players of every level of skill and dedication. I really liked the Opening Ceremony instance. It was interesting and straightforward but not designed to constantly faceplant players with needlessly difficult encounters as we’ve sometimes seen in earlier events.

I’m all for challenging content but that should be kept in things like dungeons and WvW. When the goal is telling a story to the players then the presentation of the story should take precedence.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Great short story, adorable characterizations!

When you guys finally figure out how to properly present your living story in-game, I hope these nice shorts become part of the game proper and not just the website.

Even just a tab in an expanded story category of our hero screen would be preferable to the current disjointed mess of hard to find wiki entries and website pages.

Polish > hype

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

This story is very fun. It made me love Rox, especially when Rytlock said he didn’t have patience for Logan/Jennah shenanigans right now and she thought, Or ever…

I had no idea she was so superstitious too! Aww.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Just here to say that this is probably my favourite short story so far! It is all sorts of lovely, almost every sentence made me smile inside.
Also, I have developed sort of a soft spot for Rox, and this little bit of text totally reinforced that. <3

Rytlock and Frostbite were written very well, too. Suddenly I find myself wishing I could read an entire novel of this stuff.

Secondly, while a story instance would have been nice, it would have lacked a lot of detail from the short story: what Rox is thinking, how Frostbite gets anxious or playful, etc. – I would have missed out on half the things I love about this text.
I think that different media have their own strengths and weaknesses, and there is room for story instances and text-based story fragments.

I still also kind of wish these were collected in the hero tab, similar to the personal story (we’ve all seen the mock-ups).

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

Can you finally add story to the game, not to the forum?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Can you finally add story to the game, not to the forum?

Wow, splendid idea! Just try to imagine how cool would it be if it was presented the way Logan spoke with the necromancer chick

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Cool story. I might care if Rox would recognize my character in-game after all I’ve done to help her.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I enjoyed it, but I really wish the characters showed this kind of personality in the game more often. The Opening Ceremony was awesome and really did bring out the personalities of Rox and Braham as well as Logan and Anise. The short stories on the website have always been really good but the transition to the game wasn’t as much. I still felt that this month is a huge improvement and Rox and Braham are becoming stronger characters as a result.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Cool story. I might care if Rox would recognize my character in-game after all I’ve done to help her.

That´s a known bug, they might fix it maybe next month.

Polish > hype

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

A quick google and we discover that… Yes, they pee. It’s uric acid. They also do #2.

insert “The More You Know” logo here

There you go.

Attachments:

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

I saw that cutscene. Destiny’s Edge was on a, uh…um…skyship to Cantha and Logan Thackeray had a dream that it was going to crash and kill everyone. They got off the, um, skyship and as they were freaking out inside the lob..er…at the waypoint, the skyship crashed…killing Rox’s old warband and all else onboard.

And then Death followed the survivors and picked them off one by one in order of the way they would have died on the pla….er.. skyship.

Is there a spot that keeps these short stories together? I know there was another story for Rox to go over her background. I think there was one for Braham as well?

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Geniekid.2645

Geniekid.2645

“And stop smiling when I’m threatening you.”

I like Rox

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I thought Frostbite was cute originally, now that devourer is adorable.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I liked it too.

This stuff should be ‘discover able’ in the game though. A lot of people miss these lore tidbits, which help to bring the current story alive because they don’t think/know to check the website.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

As a person who owns scorpions and a tarantula, I like Frostbite too

But yes, Scott did an amazing job. Our writers are all pretty awesome.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

There really should be some way for folks to read or experience this stuff in game if they don’t go to the site.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

What could possibly go wrong?

For some reason I find that funnier and funnier the more I see it used.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Rox as a character gets dumber with every new story… Superstatious charr !? Bah she’s Gold Legion material.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Very nice indeed.
I was thinking on a way of integrating these kind of stories into the game and its actually very complicated. Doing a cutscene must be a lot of work.

So I’m glad we have these posts so whoever is into it can read. A lot of my friends won’t bother reading them (they even skip cutscenes haha). But I can say I’m 100% into it.

Great story.

in Queen's Jubilee

inazuma.7021

I’m perfectly happy with these stories being published on the website. Integrating them into the game would cost developer time better spent on playable content.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gmr Leon.1846

Gmr Leon.1846

I liked it too.

This stuff should be ‘discover able’ in the game though. A lot of people miss these lore tidbits, which help to bring the current story alive because they don’t think/know to check the website.

There really should be some way for folks to read or experience this stuff in game if they don’t go to the site.

Very nice indeed.
I was thinking on a way of integrating these kind of stories into the game and its actually very complicated. Doing a cutscene must be a lot of work.

So I’m glad we have these posts so whoever is into it can read. A lot of my friends won’t bother reading them (they even skip cutscenes haha). But I can say I’m 100% into it.

Great story.

I’m perfectly happy with these stories being published on the website. Integrating them into the game would cost developer time better spent on playable content.

Actually, integrating these into the game is entirely up to how they want to present it. It’s entirely viable for them to simply go the mail route or update a section of the UI with the text. It’s not much, but there’s a suggestion in my signature loosely covering this. Merely put these under a Living World>Queen’s Jubilee subcategory alongside other relevant material for users to reread whenever they please and know who all these people are.

The current form of presentation is very lacking, since the News section hasn’t any search or visible tags to click to bring up all posts of a certain category. This makes it very difficult for all but the most dedicated users to keep up with all these new faces and stories, which is a bit of a shame, given it buries the writers’ efforts.

Grydd, asuran engineer perpetually gathering materials.
Member of The Archivists’ Sanctum [Lore], a guild for lore enthusiasts.
The Adventurer’s Log!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Homitu.7216

Homitu.7216

I think he (the writer) was just trying to make up a physical ritual that could be associated with certain superstitions. I agree it came off as bizarre and jarring and overall felt a bit forced.