So Being 1-Shot is meant to be a Challenge?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I attempted to do the gauntlet, first with my ranger, who has over 21k hp then with my necro who has almost 27k but it didn’t matter, they both got 1-shotted almost as soon as they entered the arena. This is ridiculous!

To me, a challenge means having a reasonable chance in a fight, which can offer some fun, but being downed in 1 hit from that many HP is simply ludicrous. Through perseverance I managed to defeat 3 of them, but when same thing happened in the 4th round i simply gave up and won’t be back there again. Being 1-shotted all the time and dying over and over again, is not my idea of fun!

(edited by Moderator)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I can’t be the only one who hates these; they’re stupid as hell.
It’s not fun to lose the whole thing and have to start all over again because of a single tiny mistake. Especially when said attacks are poorly telegraphed with specific methods for avoiding them inside a tiny dome that limits your field of view.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i would liked to have seen OHKO to have more obvious tells. and in a battle where you’re supposed to be constantly moving, it makes it even harder to see. and yes, the dome itself. i was thinking something more grand for the gauntlet battles. even as a spectator, i can’t really see much tbh it’s so far away.

that being said, i guess it all adds to the challenge of all!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Grimwolf.7163

OHKOs and massive Health pools are THE two worst methods available for inflating the difficulty of a fight in any game. They’re a lazy approach, and a symbol of bad design.
Reason being, they’re severely detrimental to the enjoyment of the fight.
No one likes an instant loss out of nowhere, and no one likes tickling an enemy to death for literally minutes. Combining the two would immediately destroy the game for anyone.

It’s a classic mistake.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

OHKOs and massive Health pools are THE two worst methods available for inflating the difficulty of a fight in any game. They’re a lazy approach, and a symbol of bad design.
Reason being, they’re severely detrimental to the enjoyment of the fight.
No one likes an instant loss out of nowhere, and no one likes tickling an enemy to death for literally minutes. Combining the two would immediately destroy the game for anyone.

It’s a classic mistake.

I think one-shot mechanics are fine, so long as there are tells or patterns so you can be ready to counter them. I’ll agree that some of the bosses have poor tells, but a majority of the fights were pretty fair.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

Aliette the diff is , OHKO should not be the main mechanic of the fight , thats poor design in any video game standard. a better example of challenge would be to have her doing normal attacks like the other fights , with the OHKO with a tell sign , as well as death traps to avoid. one wrong step and your dead , here ? its just ridiculous , you have adds that are instant death , aoe thats instant death , floating spheres that can pull you INTO the instant death aoe , high health pool. all a bad combination of actually putting challenge into a fight.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Wilhelm.6894

Wilhelm.6894

So did you get one shot by the first boss? because if so then yes that is intentional. If you could stand in one place kitten ing on the bosses that wouldn’t be any sort of challenge, the one shot mechanics or mechanics in general are there to test your skill at moving while still being able to do the dmg and survive.

Looking up a guide beforehand helps tremendously if you’re not the very first person going in and testing the mechincs to write a guide.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

No, not being one shot is the challenge.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tarnsman.8092

Tarnsman.8092

This is why people go full zerkers…if your going to get one shotted anyways might as well do as much damage as possible before then.

in Queen's Jubilee

Grimwolf.7163

The “first boss”? I’m pretty sure at least half the enemies you encounter in there have frequent one-shot mechanics. And most of them have very subtle tells on top of it.
The Queen’s Gauntlet is a microcosm of every mistake one can make in designing special fight mechanics.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

That’s what make the fight interesting. If you could just face tank autoattack, what’s the point.

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

So did you get one shot by the first boss? because if so then yes that is intentional. If you could stand in one place kitten ing on the bosses that wouldn’t be any sort of challenge, the one shot mechanics or mechanics in general are there to test your skill at moving while still being able to do the dmg and survive.

Looking up a guide beforehand helps tremendously if you’re not the very first person going in and testing the mechincs to write a guide.

I was not standing still, i wasn’t even near the bosses, but they still 1 shoot you. The point is, this should not be in any frigging game. 1 shot mechanic is lame imo. I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them, but i guess like some have said in other threads, im supposed to start changing build and my gear just for this fight? no thank you. i shouldn’t have to. this was supposed to be fun and i was actually looking forward this update, but ah well forget it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

They punish you if you try to ignore mechanics

the first guy has a long telegraph slam, it one shots everyone who is going to try to facetank it

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them,

There’s your problem. You can move while casting Necro staff skills.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

That’s what make the fight interesting. If you could just face tank autoattack, what’s the point.

It doesn’t make the fight challenging when it’s all luck based. You need luck so she doesn’t place the light portals on the very edge of the arena, making it harder to walk visions into them.

You need luck on where she decides to place the aoe, either forcing too many dodges in a row or allowing for endurance to regen. You need luck where the visions spawn, so you don’t constantly get mobbed as not only do you need to kite this ridiculous mob of visions while the boss is wailing on you and you got a 2 min limit on beating her.

in Queen's Jubilee

Wilhelm.6894

“I shouldn’t have to change builds”, well I guess you will never be finishing this then. There is no reason at all for any class(other than guardians) to run a full on tank build like you have in pve content. You have to expect certain things changing when going from what I would guess your usualy wpvp to pve.

One shot mechanics make this more about skill than anything else could, the entire point is to dodge them or find the mechanic to nullify them. If you can sit there and face tank every single ability with your tank build where is the challenge? I don’t care if you have to make aoe circles for abilities that’s part of the challenge also to know the difference between what the enemy is doing and what you are and being aware f your surroundings while you cast said ability.

in Queen's Jubilee

Charak.9761

every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them.

wut

Attachments:

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Thaiseeran.9243

Thaiseeran.9243

I was not standing still, i wasn’t even near the bosses, but they still 1 shoot you. The point is, this should not be in any frigging game. 1 shot mechanic is lame imo. I’m a staff necro and every skill is a mark you have to place on the ground and basically stand still to place them, but i guess like some have said in other threads, im supposed to start changing build and my gear just for this fight? no thank you. i shouldn’t have to. this was supposed to be fun and i was actually looking forward this update, but ah well forget it.

I’m sorry to break it down to you but you ARE suppose to change your build accordingly, even the devs said so. And you know there’s this “dodge” mechanic that can really help you out. There are also few guides on the forums that i suggest you go and take a look, now stop whinning and learn the bosses mechanics.

By blood we are bound together, FOR WE ARE MURDERERS!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

So you actually sat there and took the hit?

Attachments:

in Queen's Jubilee

Wilhelm.6894

It doesn’t make the fight challenging when it’s all luck based. You need luck so she doesn’t place the light portals on the very edge of the arena, making it harder to walk visions into them.

You need luck on where she decides to place the aoe, either forcing too many dodges in a row or allowing for endurance to regen. You need luck where the visions spawn, so you don’t constantly get mobbed as not only do you need to kite this ridiculous mob of visions while the boss is wailing on you and you got a 2 min limit on beating her.

The op wasn’t talking about the final t3 boss though, which yes has some luck to do with it. They were talking about the very first t1 bosses which have absolutely no rng to them and have one shot mechanics(all of which can be dodged or have a mechanic to nullify them).

(edited by Wilhelm.6894)

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

Would you please stop accusing people of only auto attacking! I’m sick of hearing this whenever someone is trying to express that a certain mechanic is stupid. People like you come on here and claim it’s challenging instead, as away to imply you’re the most brilliant player above all others and no challenge is too great for you. Well good for you but stop belittling other players!

I don’t just use auto attack. i use all my skill…always…on all my classes thank you, as i’m sure most other people do as well.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Yup, you totally need luck.

Except for the fact it all follows a very strict pattern.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Valmarius.4150

Valmarius.4150

There are no one shot attacks in the gauntlet that a) do not have tells, and b) can’t be dodged. If you can see it, and you can dodge it, I’m really sure you can call it unfair.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

None of those things are luck. They all follow a very specific pattern. The fight is scripted, it goes the same every time.

In a game where you can completely ignore damage with dodge, 1-shot mechanics are the only mechanics worth paying attention to. The fights are very fair, and pretty trivial if you can read enemy descriptions and see obvious telegraphed attacks. There is no need for guides or anything. The only boss that took me more than one try was the last one because I died before I could figure out what was killing me and the combat log is bugged from those attacks.

Once I realized there was red circles I was missing due to camera angles (a problem that legitimately needs to be addressed) I progressed fairly quickly from there. Took me 20 tries total, which is not very many in all honesty.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Both luck and skill are involved, much like most things in life. Those with skill will succeed more often than those without skill.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

im supposed to start changing build and my gear just for this fight? no thank you. i shouldn’t have to.

Then gauntlets isn’t for you. These are difficult challenges that require not only skill but patience in learning the fights. You are supposed to use all of your class, which includes other builds and the gear that goes along with them, to beat these fights, not just the parts you like to use. And since the progress is account bound, you can even use different classes. Theres a few random bugs out there, but for the most part, if you die, it’s usually the result of player error or bad strategy.

Plus theres plenty of content in this patch that doesn’t require you to change anything. Zerg the bosses below, go do the queen’s champs out in the world, help the balloon people, etc.

[ICoa] Blackgate

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

Actually they specifically said that people would need to change up builds to beat all the fights, they also said this was challenging content not meant for everyone. Strange that you keep getting shot with over 20k hp, yet i dont get one shot with my 12k hp. Unless your a guardian, every classes builds have different purposes, if your not willing to switch up traits and weapons, dont expect to be of much use

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Cymric.7368

Cymric.7368

ArenaNet, please stop trolling the player base and remove all non-berserk/rampager gear from pve, since that they are obviously useless.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Reminds me on Mimiron in WoW. Everything he did 1 shotted you lol but it was an awesome fight regardless and he like 10 different ways to 1 shot you along with 4 phases of one shot. X D

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

The one shots are pretty annoying. Especially when they aren’t telegraphed well. The first boss is fine, because the wind up is really obvious. The Tier 1 boss though does not telegraph her one shot nearly as well.

By the time you start doing Tier 3, nearly every attack by the bosses deals a high amount of damage. Liadri is basically a fight of not being hit by anything, because even her normal attacks pack a huge punch.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

in Queen's Jubilee

Wilhelm.6894

Would you please stop accusing people of only auto attacking! I’m sick of hearing this whenever someone is trying to express that a certain mechanic is stupid. People like you come on here and claim it’s challenging instead, as away to imply you’re the most brilliant player above all others and no challenge is too great for you. Well good for you but stop belittling other players!

I don’t just use auto attack. i use all my skill…always…on all my classes thank you, as i’m sure most other people do as well.

People keep saying you autoattack because there are clear signs or mechanics to dodge or negate the one shot attacks, which a lot of them are easy to avoid unless you were just sitting there face tanking it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Celestina.2894

ArenaNet, please stop trolling the player base and remove all non-berserk/rampager gear from pve, since that they are obviously useless.

Funny, I completed it with the majority of my gear being knight.

in Queen's Jubilee

Charak.9761

Reminds me on Mimiron in WoW. Everything he did 1 shotted you lol but it was an awesome fight regardless and he like 10 different ways to 1 shot you along with 4 phases of one shot. X D

I actually managed to get on the world top dps with my rogue on that fight, was awesome

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Bwuahahahahaha….hahahahaha.

Your first mistake is the assumption that a Staff Necro stands still. That’s just a bad idea. You can target, move, and plant all at the same time…well, if you can’t, then you’re really not playing the Necro right.

Also, these fights aren’t designed that every build, every weapon can take them on. I’d recommend a Scepter/Focus with Corruption utilites/build and a minion as your ult. That’s the best thing to do for most of these bosses. The staff is more off-hand for making a #3 that slows the enemy by applying Chill to them, giving you a better distance on the melee opponents.

And yes, you SHOULD have to change build/gear if yours isn’t working for these fights. The developers said that’s how they’re designed. They gave the preview on Monday and posted the information a week ago. If you don’t like that, then tough luck, you’re out of completing this content.

in Queen's Jubilee

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m sure anyone could complete it with trial and error and not minding dying zillion times, but that is not for me. I simply hate dying in any game always have and i guess this content isn’t meant for me. Break for gw2 may be in order.

in Queen's Jubilee

Celestina.2894

I’m sure anyone could complete it with trial and error and not minding dying zillion times, but that is not for me. I simply hate dying in any game always have and i guess this content isn’t meant for me. Break for gw2 may be in order.

So basically you want content where you don’t have to think and learn from your mistakes.

Now I see the problem.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I get where everyone is coming from on both sides. No you shouldn’t be able to face tank the boss. At the same time combat should not cheap dodge ball mechanic.

The only challenge is finding the right stats to choose? Is this the challenge people wanted? With a 2 minute limit it is blatantly obvious they wanted us to use Zerk gear, that is plain lazy game design as Zerk gear is already the norm for all other PvE.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I totally agree with the OP that 1-shots feel like a cheap gimmick to increase the difficulty. However, to make a boss battle challenging, I’m not sure how many other cards the Devs hold.

There are 3 ways to avoid these 1 shot kills.
1) Dodge it
2) Interrupt it (stun, daze, knockdown, etc.)
3) Avoid it (the Gauntlet entirely)

If the OP is standing still to cast marks, his equipment is NOT the problem.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: justcris.6938

justcris.6938

I noticed that you said you tried this with a ranger. I am a ranger as well. This is not meant as a boast but I found every fight up until the norn and his dog (T3) to be rather easy. I didn’t lose a single fight without reworking my build, changing my gear (which is unimpressive), or even changing my weapons. All it took was reading the enemies and constantly moving while dealing damage. Just don’t be afraid to move and dodge and you will be fine.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Yup, you totally need luck.

Except for the fact it all follows a very strict pattern.

^Truth It is a pattern. If you keep TRYING you’ll notice it.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

While “dodge/evade” isn’t on the skill bar, skill is still required to use it properly. So is moving around while using skills on the skill bar. Guild Wars 1 required you to stand in place while casting.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The elitism in here can be cut with a quaggan flipper…

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The elitism in here can be cut with a quaggan flipper…

That’s interesting, since quaggans don’t have flippers.

edit – Oh! I get it now. You’re saying elitism is only illusionary!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Honestly I’ve done the entire arena and the only things involving luck are the lady with all the tornados, the 4 bandits (random AI/damage rolls due to their number of npc’s), the chump/norn guy and that was it. The last boss uses a set pattern for entire phase 1, if you do phase 1 identical each time you can basically do it blind and you will always make it. Once you know the pattern, ofcourse.

This gauntlet has it’s seperate achievement panel because they INTENDED this to be kitteneshot mechanics are there to test a player’s ability to respond to certain mechanics. I am someone that used to play raids on a certain mmo for quite a few years and that game used similar mechanics.

I am most definetely one of the target audiences they pleased with this gauntlet and it simply isn’t made for everyone. If you do not enjoy it, you should skip it as it’s only a mini you will miss out on. No titles or skins. During the livestream on august 5 they also said this was meant to be for people to show off a bit because alot of GW players felt they had nothing to show that they were good at the game. This gauntlet allows people to show they can do difficult encounters all by themself and earn a mini as proof of that. They could have made an ‘easy mode’ gauntlet which simply does not reward the mini though, I definetely think that would have been better than JUST the hard mode gauntlet. Perhaps they can do so in the future? This event is supposed to become a year-on-year event as said by Colin.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Perhaps they can do so in the future? This event is supposed to become a year-on-year event as said by Colin.

Assuming the Queen survives! Muahahahahaha…..Muahahahaha….Muahaha…Muaha…h

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

I think some of the problem is not being one shotted but being one shotted before animations trigger or you have any idea why you were down in the first place.

Ex. fighting Sierl(sp?) the one where you disable her shield. I will be fine, disabling her shield using the dark for the buff to not get hit, then BAM I’m insta down, her blast shot THEN animates THEN her shield goes back up.

If this is permanent I think I shall wait until it’s not total lag city in the area before trying it out. Or until they fix a few things to offset animations.

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Use dodge. You know the thing where your player rolls on the ground?

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The trick is to figure out when to dodge when he starts his telegraph. For me I keep doing it too early.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The trick is to figure out when to dodge when he starts his telegraph. For me I keep doing it too early.

ANet has a wonky sense of dodge timing. If the shield trainer in Queensdale and stone throwing wurms are reliable examples, they want us to dodge at the end of the trigger animation rather than at the start. But every fiber in my body screams that to me that the natural reaction is to dodge the moment i see a incoming attack, not wait until the sword edge is shaving my eyebrows!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

A-net want to make this game like Darksoul which is kinda niche.And its not working well when half of your customer playing from other continents.