New player... unimpressed.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sentientorganism.9712

sentientorganism.9712

Hi.

I’ve never played an ArenaNet game before but the publicity for The Lost Shores got my attention.

I’m sorry to say that it’s given me a poor impression. NPC’s have been buggy and i’ve been unable to complete the associated events. I’m left feeling bored, that i’ve wasted my time and that I should play something else instead.

I don’t feel that this should have been pushed pushed out, and new players like myself encouraged to try the game when it isn’t functioning.

I wish my first post didn’t have to be negative and hopefully i’ll have more positive feedback to offer in the near future – just as soon as I get to enjoy some content that actually works.

Thankyou.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

I am sure you are not alone.And you have every right to express your opinions when you are invited to try out a game,and get faced with frustration from poor testing.It is a waste of everyones time.They could not have messed up this free trial event any worse with the display they put on lastnight.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ryltair.2857

Ryltair.2857

The advise that I give my friends trying out the game for the first time is to just start at the beginning and not try the one-time events. They’re not a very good representation of how the game is and if you just start from scratch, you experience everything: Regular events, Hearts, crafting, leveling, exploration, map completion, personal story, etc, etc.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Right your new… theres a ton of other stuff besides an event thats buggy for you to do and try

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

They’re not a very good representation of how the game is

they actually are. there are stilly buggy events/hearts all over the place (when was the release again?)

crafting is like other games, if you don’t enjoy it there you won’t enjoy it here. same for exploration etc. personal story as well is highly subjective, I yet have to find someone who enjoys the orr part. but as I said, subjective, so you might like it.

if anything, the event shows how anet handles the game. take from that what you will.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

The advise that I give my friends trying out the game for the first time is to just start at the beginning and not try the one-time events. They’re not a very good representation of how the game is and if you just start from scratch, you experience everything: Regular events, Hearts, crafting, leveling, exploration, map completion, personal story, etc, etc.

Yes, this is what got me hooked into GW2, and why I stay.

They could not have messed up this free trial event any worse with the display they put on last night.

And it was so predictable too: there was no indication that they were ready to run a very time-limited event like this without major issues. When I read they were having the free trial overlap with the LS event, it was clear someone at ANet wasn’t thinking it through.

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Silver.9578

Silver.9578

I 100% agree with the OP. I’m playing GW2 since the BWEs and yesterday was probably the most frustrating time I’ve spent with this game. I felt a bit sick before the event even started but also felt like I don’t want to miss something good and then this… just pure chaos, lags, invisible enemies broken NPCs…

I have yet to try the new dungeon (I hear it’s pretty good) but the rest of the “Lost Shores” was just rubbish so far and I can’t blame anyone who got a bad impression of this game.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sentientorganism.9712

sentientorganism.9712

Right your new… theres a ton of other stuff besides an event thats buggy for you to do and try

Underdog, of course what you say is true but the event and associated content was publicized along with a promotion to encourage new players like myself to try it.

Was it unrealistic of me to expect it to work? and isn’t it natural that I should express my dissatisfaction about something i’ve been looking forward to all week?.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gwalchgwn.1659

Gwalchgwn.1659

My new friends in game just played the tutorial like any other player, and after that we did the fractals… that did gave them a good impression

Ring of Fire
GL – “The Afternoon’s Watch” [OATH]

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

The event has been a bit of a cluster-kitten…

Part of the problem is likely due to the influx of free trial players on the servers. Was it hubris that made them decide to have the free trial weekend at the same time as a major event?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Salamol.7963

Salamol.7963

I don’t blame you OP… why ArenaNet chose to do something like this is really beyond me. It would have been horribly laggy even without the trials, but you’re going to throw in extra players and showcase this event to them? The smartest thing to do would be to never have trials and events on at the same time, for starters… but also either fix or stop doing these one time things. Perhaps lowering the overflow capacity would help… so that each map is capped at x/2 so we can play properly.

Stick with it OP… the game is awesome… it’s just the hardware/servers are not able to handle hundreds of thousands of people fighting at once… but it’s not a bad problem to have, all told.

Follow me: @Salamolign
Mist Angels [Mist] – Piken Square

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

…the event and associated content was publicized along with a promotion to encourage new players like myself to try it.

Was it unrealistic of me to expect it to work? and isn’t it natural that I should express my dissatisfaction about something i’ve been looking forward to all week?.

Indeed, as a business, this is precisely what ANet needs to honestly ask themselves.

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: thelorion.3680

thelorion.3680

Is the key from a friend?

Its not a good friend when he show just the event and not the rest of the game to you!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nitcheam.9407

Nitcheam.9407

Try the rest of the game? .. It’s an event, its one of their first big events, they still have to figure it out.

The events aren’t even the main selling points of the game.
Go play the actual game, you won’t be saying your disappointed then.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Nakara.7108

Nakara.7108

Cute how some try to defend Anet. Sorry but anet really blew it this time. Don’t get why you are defending them despite the bad update they did…

RoF – Aria Company Europe [ARIA]

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

Try the rest of the game? .. It’s an event, its one of their first big events, they still have to figure it out.

The events aren’t even the main selling points of the game.
Go play the actual game, you won’t be saying your disappointed then.

ANet clearly think events are a selling point why else have a trial w/e at the same time as the event – invite your friends the one time event you won’t want to miss – huge mistake on their part. I agree with the OP it does not give a good impression of the game add to that bugged skillpoints and dungeon entrances.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody,
thanks for all your comments and feedback.