Who's responsible for the Skipping Stones JP?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

Q:

Curious to who the genius was behind this Jumping Puzzle in Lost Shores.
Was it Josh F again? The mastermind behind the awesome Clock Tower JP?
If so, big kudos to him. And any of the team behind it of course.

JP’s like this are amazing and completely fun. Sure they can be frustrating at first and require timing, but that is what makes it fun to repeat.

This is an MMO and not something you would see normally. So this is a welcome addition and considering the JP’s are amongst the top 3 three things I love in GW2, I hope we see more of these. Both in scale and difficulty.

Since they aren’t required, nobody can really complain about the difficulty.

So again, big kudos to Josh or whomever is responsible!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MatthewMedina

MatthewMedina

Content Designer

A:

The Skipping Stones jump puzzle was co-authored by a couple of the members of the team. Jordan Anton did the design, and he was partnered with Jason Jones on the environment art. But the spirit of Josh lives in all of us whenever we create one of these puzzles. ;-)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

well I disagree. These jumping puzzles do nothing for me, and the time the devs spend doing them could have been spent doing something else.

jumping puzzles, as you said, are not necessary. So it only bothers me to the extent that resources were diverted to develop something that I don’t like. now we can argue about how many people do them or don’t of course… and nobody can win this argument.

In the meantime, I’d like to know when the Wvw (one of the unique features of this game) will get some attention… incentivisation, gear progression, new maps, new objectvies etc…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: bcd.4352

bcd.4352

I love the jumping puzzle. Thank you guys! It was amazing.

It’s slightly disheartening, although comical, to read about all the people whinning about everything.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Agreed. I love the jumping puzzles.

Which is kind of strange because I suck at them, but I still have fun doing it. I’ve given up on this one for now, but that’s just because I want to focus on other stuff for now, I’m looking forward to coming back to it later.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

It was frustrating at first (falling trough the forming platforms on the end), but I made it on my… maybe 5th try? It was fun. :P

Did you guys notice it continues to the small green island? There’s a champion boss and a small chest in there, too. Although you get no achievement from it in case you missed it.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

I’m not saying WvW doesn’t need a little love, but ANet has something like 9 separate live teams, so I don’t think this particular jumping puzzle pulled much if anything from WvW progress.

Another top notch jumping puzzle. Thank you, ANet, keep ’em coming! Platforming will never die!

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Krushhk.3501

Krushhk.3501

There’s actually a short cut about half way through, just a little annoying to get to if your a big guy as you barely fit on the little stepping stone up, also this is really easy to help people with as people can teleport others from the ground to right near the end chest which someone did for me because I missed the last jump

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kiraki.9761

Kiraki.9761

Loved this puzzle, very creative with the rock platforms and a lot of fun to do.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Myrdreth.6829

Myrdreth.6829

I love those jumping puzzles even though I am terrible at it It’s such a great idea to add something like that to this game.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: UncrushablePigeon.8760

UncrushablePigeon.8760

Is it a permanent addition? (hope so)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

well I disagree. These jumping puzzles do nothing for me, and the time the devs spend doing them could have been spent doing something else.

jumping puzzles, as you said, are not necessary. So it only bothers me to the extent that resources were diverted to develop something that I don’t like. now we can argue about how many people do them or don’t of course… and nobody can win this argument.

In the meantime, I’d like to know when the Wvw (one of the unique features of this game) will get some attention… incentivisation, gear progression, new maps, new objectvies etc…

Have you not heard that not everyone is skilled in every single thing in game development? Maybe there’s a guy hired specifically for JP’s? He wouldn’t be any help in the other departments if that’s his skill set. In fact, he might actually be a hindrance if he tried anything out of his capabilities! People should stop talking about “diverting resources” as if every single employee is able to do each other’s job equally well.

On the other hand, why is there only TWO profession designers on ANet’s team?? How is this acceptable?? Look at the replies on the Ranger forum, it’s ridiculous the excuses you guys give out for practically doing nothing for the ranger since launch.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Gehirn.8796

Gehirn.8796

Maybe there’s a guy hired specifically for JP’s?

I’m sure it’s just one guy, too. That guy down in the basement that never sleeps, half-buried in a hill of coffee beans…

Then management offers him more staff and he’s like, “I work alone”

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

It was frustrating at first (falling trough the forming platforms on the end), but I made it on my… maybe 5th try? It was fun. :P

Did you guys notice it continues to the small green island? There’s a champion boss and a small chest in there, too. Although you get no achievement from it in case you missed it.

Aye yep. Tried to solo the champion. Didn’t end well. On more than one occasion I also managed to dodge off the island. lol. Was able to fend it off with my pet, well Fiend, long enough to check out the chest but still determined to try and solo the Champion.

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

Is it a permanent addition? (hope so)

They have stated that the new map, enemies and JP’s are a permanent fixture. So take all the time you need.

As for the topic, I’m hoping to get a response off Anet, either a staff member of Josh himself, just to see who is responsible and to keep an eye out for

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Completely floored when I saw the JP. I spent a good 30 minutes before I got the hang of it, and nothing was more satisfying than being able to do the whole first section in one go. Absolutely brilliant work.

As for the smaller island at the end. I totally wouldn’t have noticed it if there weren’t some good people standing there seemingly just to direct people over.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

Skipping stones was a heap of fun, so thanks. My question for the dev would have been, was the shortcut deliberate? Had to use it because the geyser knocked me off the first plank of the beached ship when I’d just made the last jump!

As for the champion at the end.. cruel!

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

See this is the difference between you and me. I don’t care about WvW but I consider stuff like jumping puzzles, pipe organs and stuff like that as integral part of the PvE experience. They appeal to my explorer playstyle.

I’d be more happy if they moved resources from PvP and WvW to to developing PvE content like this which, as far as I have experienced, is also unique to this game. Without stuff like jumping puzzles I’d have lost the interest a long time ago. They literally keep me playing and I regularly jump through the ones I have already done just for the fun of it.

Also kudos to whoever created Fractals. I haven’t been through all of them yet but so far they are tons of more fun than regular dungeons (except the swamp but that’s just me).

That being said. Different teams and all that… maybe WvW would be more interesting if it had more elements like the ones appearing in Fractals and jumping puzzles.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Lord Porksword.3041

Lord Porksword.3041

Jumping puzzle was a lotta fun. Creds to the designer who made it!
I must now go and find some of these other jumping puzzles!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

Actually the devs waste time on a fairly consistent basis; constantly going in a million different directions until it all comes together. I’d love to see the full list of scrapped ideas, and how far some of them made it before scrapping. I also love how people think “a dev is a dev” and they can simply work on any project that needs it. Passion is important in the work place (especially one that requires creativity) I don’t see a jumping puzzle designer doing gear for WvW, maybe maps. . . if you want a new objective/map maybe (s)he could/should add another obsidian sanctum

Skipping stones BTW is awesome (and I’ve not even finished it yet).

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Duplicated.4715

Duplicated.4715

See this is the difference between you and me. I don’t care about WvW but I consider stuff like jumping puzzles, pipe organs and stuff like that as integral part of the PvE experience. They appeal to my explorer playstyle.

I’d be more happy if they moved resources from PvP and WvW to to developing PvE content like this which, as far as I have experienced, is also unique to this game. Without stuff like jumping puzzles I’d have lost the interest a long time ago. They literally keep me playing and I regularly jump through the ones I have already done just for the fun of it.

Also kudos to whoever created Fractals. I haven’t been through all of them yet but so far they are tons of more fun than regular dungeons (except the swamp but that’s just me).

That being said. Different teams and all that… maybe WvW would be more interesting if it had more elements like the ones appearing in Fractals and jumping puzzles.

Someone already said this in another swamp complaining post, but let me reiterate it for you: get a mesmer with portal, reset the wisps until they all spawn on the top part of the map, have your mesmer open a portal at the turn in location and run north toward you guys. Once he’s there grab wisps and run toward him while he opens the entrance portal. Everyone jumps in, gg.

Took my team fifteen minutes just to get the coordination in sync plus resetting those wisps so that they spawn really close to one another.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: maaprid.2168

maaprid.2168

I love the puzzles, I just got started and wasn’t doing too well, got up to take a break for a bit. Came back in the room to find my 11 year old almost finished with it. Yes, I got owned by my kid and apparently a lot of other people did too

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Winther.7108

Winther.7108

Love most of the puzzles, but this one’s as stupid as the clock tower

Aurora Glade // Vanguard of Divinity’s Reach

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I can’t say if I love it or not. Like with the Mad King’s Clock Tower, I’m seeing the floor half of the time. The camera suddenly zooms in after every jump, making impossible to see where you are going.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: sonicsix.5713

sonicsix.5713

The skipping stone puzzle is great. I have completed it 3 times. However, the Clock Tower was utter crap due to the many constraints it had. You HAD to rush and you only had a short time span to even complete it. Not fun, not fun at all.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I would be annoyed by that puzzle if i hadn’t spent 9 hours doing clocktower this Halloween.If that raging pile of horse manure spawned from the depths of hell has taught me something its how to jump like a motherkittener, it has made me the perfect jumping puzzle machine.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: tmorrow.5189

tmorrow.5189

Practice on the mad king’s clock tower prepared me well for this puzzle. Both puzzles are similar in that everyone gathers together and gets in each others way at the start (making it very difficult) and both involve quick, precise jumps, mostly on the run.

At least with the Skipping Stones jumping puzzle, you will have plenty of time to work on it since it is permanent content.

I enjoy the jumping puzzles and hope they keep adding new ones.

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

Practice on the mad king’s clock tower prepared me well for this puzzle. Both puzzles are similar in that everyone gathers together and gets in each others way at the start (making it very difficult) and both involve quick, precise jumps, mostly on the run.

I was thinking the same. The Mad King’s Clock Tower would have been a good ‘stepping stone’ towards one like this

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

Seeing how the event’s over, kind of hoping we can get a response on this by any of ANet’s staff.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

I hate jumping puzzles and avoid them like the plague. It’s great that many people enjoy them and they should continue adding more. Please just keep them in areas that don’t force people to do them in order to advance in game play. I wish we can choose our own fractal areas so I can avoid all the jumping ones

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Joukehainen.5148

Joukehainen.5148

Agree with OP, I had a lot of fun with “Skipping Stones” and “Mad King’s Clocktower” jumping puzzles.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Jumping puzzles are easily top 3 things in GW2 for me. They are a super fun break from regular mmo gameplay AND they reward me with a daily chest AND a cool acheivement. I have like 70% of the jump puzzles and have spent the last week getting them after work. Really nice to see other events in the game other than DEs and killing mobs.

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

I get so bored sometimes waiting for new JP’s, I find areas that look like they could be and see how high/far I can go, lol.

@han, yeah thankfully none of them are required to progress anywhere really. Those that are are already pretty simplistic anyhow

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Trillistar.4071

Trillistar.4071

I hate jumping puzzles, mostly because I suck at them:) They are a nice variety in the content but developing more of them at the cost of fixing broken content….

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Wasn’t too bad, found this one first and it was rather obvious. One of the first to complete it, had a one piggy back past the stones with portal and waited for another who caught up so I wouldn’t wind up being the only one to finish it. If I wasn’t a mesmer, it would of been much more difficult, but with the CD being 90 seconds, would of made it back to where I screwed up anyways, considering my second choice of profession was the thief.

It’s an utter shame how easy Under New Management was. I know they need to have them varying for players who aren’t very good at them, at least they could of made it moderately challenging, or add in cool effects to make it unique, like it being a light house and you had to run the torch to the top to light it up to unveil the chest with a time limit. Like the griffon one, except not as OCD impulsive.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

I loved this jumping puzzle. Props to the div(s) who made it.

I just hope future puzzles will be a mix of fast “timed” ones like this, and slow methodical ones. I also liked puzzles that tell a story.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

lol. you know… I hate HATE the people behind these jumping puzzles. That being said, I can’t stop myself from doing them. I rage when I fall. I laugh when I complete. I whine when I see I’m only half way there. And it’s not like you have to do them, but they can be maddeningly addictive if you are like me and just ‘have’ to do it. Kudos then and at the same time curse you!!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

lol. you know… I hate HATE the people behind these jumping puzzles. That being said, I can’t stop myself from doing them. I rage when I fall. I laugh when I complete. I whine when I see I’m only half way there. And it’s not like you have to do them, but they can be maddeningly addictive if you are like me and just ‘have’ to do it. Kudos then and at the same time curse you!!

We probably shared the same facial expression when you finished the first set of jumping stones, to see the next one wrapping around the mountain.

ARE YOU FRIGGIN’ SERIOUS!?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: zajatorrete.2350

zajatorrete.2350

I suck at jumping puzzle, but who ever created that fractal dungeon where there are harpies and you have to jump to get the top, kudos to you. Coz there my Jumping Skill’s in extreme awesomeness lol….

I love jumping for the first few tries lol!!

Tried that one in the lost shore and its frustratingly fun lol..

[DHE] Darkhaven Elite
http://www.darkhavenelite.com

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

Glad to see so many enjoyed it as well. And even those that hate JP’s, at least found enjoyment/addiction or respect the design aspect.

Still waiting to hear who was behind it though. I want to say JF since it felt akin to the Mad King Clock Tower, but would hate to take away credit to somebody else if it wasn’t him.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Hynoris.3684

Hynoris.3684

I absolutely LOVE these jumping puzzles keep then coming.

I not the regular MMO player i only played 3 in my life and never played wow,but i played hundreds of platformers from marios to prince of persia and to found this on MMO is really amazing and the best part of it is the community aspect of then.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: redknight.8036

redknight.8036

pay 10 s to mesmer.
get portaled up.
open chest.
meh.

in The Lost Shores

Spikedadragon.6015

@redknight I suppose you can do it that way… Lol. Takes away the fun of it though. :/

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Inaccordance.7910

Inaccordance.7910

I clicked on this thread expecting to read a rant. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn’t. I agree with the OP. The puzzle was fun and challenging. Keep ’em coming.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tijo.9857

Tijo.9857

Have you not heard that not everyone is skilled in every single thing in game development? Maybe there’s a guy hired specifically for JP’s? He wouldn’t be any help in the other departments if that’s his skill set. In fact, he might actually be a hindrance if he tried anything out of his capabilities! People should stop talking about “diverting resources” as if every single employee is able to do each other’s job equally well.

On the other hand, why is there only TWO profession designers on ANet’s team?? How is this acceptable?? Look at the replies on the Ranger forum, it’s ridiculous the excuses you guys give out for practically doing nothing for the ranger since launch.

You have to pay the guy in question, and that’s taken from your budget, so yes it’s resource allocation. If you don’t hire that guy to do this specific task then the money is still in your budget and you can allocate it to something else.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Daghi.7824

Daghi.7824

Loved this Jumping Puzzle, challenging, frustrating and very rewarding to complete, thanks, please keep up the good work!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Agreed. I love the jumping puzzles.

Which is kind of strange because I suck at them, but I still have fun doing it. I’ve given up on this one for now, but that’s just because I want to focus on other stuff for now, I’m looking forward to coming back to it later.

It’s like you stole the exact words from my mouth. Good on you, ArenaNet. Keep the jumping puzzles coming.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Payadopa.4706

Payadopa.4706

Love the jumping puzzle, even though I haven’t beaten it yet. Keep them coming, Anet!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

Aye yep. Tried to solo the champion. Didn’t end well. On more than one occasion I also managed to dodge off the island. lol. Was able to fend it off with my pet, well Fiend, long enough to check out the chest but still determined to try and solo the Champion.

I prefer using shadow refuge and yoinking the chest behind the boss. :P

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

pay 10 s to mesmer.
get portaled up.
open chest.
meh.

What!? Why would you pay 10s to a mesmer to get a chest that is not likely to reward anything close to it?

Also I’m not sure how this differs from regular content. You can always have the same mesmer to portal / invis people in dungeons so you can bypass enemies. You can even have the same mesmer help kill stuff for you.

You can always find ways around the content you don’t like. Personally I’d never skip the jumping part in a jumping puzzle because it’s Fun! (with capital F and an exclamation mark!)