GWO reviews the Wurm bosses

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

We had our try at the Wurm bosses, but the final verdict does not look good. I enjoyed the new Tequatl battle (even though it scales badly), but this is a whole new can of wurms, pun intended.

Simply unplayable. See our live review of the battle in the picture below. No one was able to hurt a single one of the wurms, because the performance was so bad, and the mechanics so poorly conveyed.

Apparently lessons not learned:

• Make content playable on lower spec CPU’s. FPS matters.
  • No more one-hit kill mechanics!
  • Explain the mechanics of the battle in-game, instead of trial and error.
  • Make it scale for lower amounts of players
  • Don’t spam trash mobs all over the arena, along with circles of death and hundreds of players!
  • Platforming + heavy performance issues = Unplayable
  • Team Speak is NOT a GW2 feature. Stop designing content around it.

Attachments:

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Don’t worry about it. As I mentioned in a different post, the TTS Guild will analyse the encounter, and beat it. We’ll then provide some tips on how to go about it.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m sure AG will also organize something for this at some point. But I dislike the overall design of it all. We were standing there, watching players trying to place kegs at the wurm, only to realize that the wurm instantly lost its stacks. So you pretty much needed to coordinate about 20 people to drop their kegs simultaneously, with that horrendous frame rate going on. It was a futile effort. And even if we had made it, the other wurms would have failed. Look at the screenshot. Not a dent in any of the Wurm’s health. This is ridiculous. And if that wasn’t hard enough, it also has a bloody timer! Are we not allowed to do these events without Team Speak? Last time I checked, Team Speak was not one of GW2’s features.

And why would anyone want to do this event after completing it once for their server?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Our second try, the first after that one guy stopped being bugged, we got two wurms down 20%. Like Tequatl, it’s only a matter of time.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Taisia.2813

Taisia.2813

Yea dudes don’t expect to be steamroll all the content 1st try.. I love the challenge and if your pc can’t handle it lower gfx settings for this fight..

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Didn’t we have more or less the exact same thread a few hours after Tequatl was updated as well?

Give it a few days and people will figure it out, just as with Tequatl.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Didn’t we have more or less the exact same thread a few hours after Tequatl was updated as well?

Except tequatl still fails most of the time (average and low pop servers don’t even seriously attempt him), and everyone guests to the few ‘pro’ servers to do it, causing massive overflows.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

A few days and it will be a ghost town except for a tiny handful of highly populated servers.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yea dudes don’t expect to be steamroll all the content 1st try.. I love the challenge and if your pc can’t handle it lower gfx settings for this fight..

My settings are already at minimum. The whole thing is a slide show because of all the mobs, players, effects, and red circles. This was not properly tested for lower spec machines.

This event is more of a hassle than Tequatl. People will complete this once, and then never bother again. And I think a lot of servers might not even be able to complete it at all.

Here’s something I don’t get: Last time I checked, Team Speak was an external program, and not a part of GW2. So why are these events being designed with Team Speak in mind?

lordkrall.7241

This event is more of a hassle than Tequatl. People will complete this once, and then never bother again. And I think a lot of servers might not even be able to complete it at all.

Here’s something I don’t get: Last time I checked, Team Speak was an external program, and not a part of GW2. So why are these events being designed with Team Speak in mind?

And exactly that was said about Tequatl as well, and now I can complete it multiple times each day if I want to.
Without ever joining a TS server.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well I don’t know what server you’re on, but my server has tried Tequatl several times with TS, and even WITH Teamspeak we don’t always succeed. And lately, interest is waning. People find it just way too much hassle to get so many players and commanders organized in one instance, and one specific time. It would not surprise me if the place is a ghost town on many other servers.

This new Wurm event seems to require even more coordination than Tequatl. But worse yet, your team could do fine, but other people could still fail the event for you. And that is the sort of design I can’t stand!

Posted by: Arrelaine.5692

Arrelaine.5692

And exactly that was said about Tequatl as well, and now I can complete it multiple times each day if I want to.
Without ever joining a TS server.

That’s nice. Most servers won’t even do it once a day.

Posted by: TheNinjaCupcake.3465

TheNinjaCupcake.3465

I’m sure AG will also organize something for this at some point. But I dislike the overall design of it all. We were standing there, watching players trying to place kegs at the wurm, only to realize that the wurm instantly lost its stacks. So you pretty much needed to coordinate about 20 people to drop their kegs simultaneously, with that horrendous frame rate going on. It was a futile effort. And even if we had made it, the other wurms would have failed. Look at the screenshot. Not a dent in any of the Wurm’s health. This is ridiculous. And if that wasn’t hard enough, it also has a bloody timer! Are we not allowed to do these events without Team Speak? Last time I checked, Team Speak was not one of GW2’s features.

And why would anyone want to do this event after completing it once for their server?

Oof, Cobalt. Judging by the fact that your screenshot sums up my own experience with it, I’d hate to see what the other wurms’ mechanics are. Honestly, unless you’re on Team Speak, getting 20 people to coordinate keg explosions isn’t going to happen easily, and I agree with you: Team Speak isn’t supposed to be a GW 2 feature. Didn’t stop some people in our group from pretending it should be, but, that’s another can of wurms.

I want to be fair to Anet: I like the ideas behind both of these new bosses. I like having these three different wurms to fight as a huge group and I like the teamwork behind the Marionette—I actually really love doing Marionette runs. It’s just the execution that’s off. Fix that, and we’ve got some nice new events.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

That’s because most servers keep joining mine and run STRAIGHT to the turrets without knowing how to use them.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

This first down on this will happen today. It is actually relatively easy. It just requires coordination.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

My settings are already at minimum. The whole thing is a slide show because of all the mobs, players, effects, and red circles. This was not properly tested for lower spec machines.

We do Teq multiple times daily, guesting to different servers to help them get their kills. We’ll do the same for the Wurm. Bottom line, stop worrying about brand new content being hard, because none of us knows what to do on the very first try.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ Hmm… Is there a specific time you ever go to Tarnished Coast? Sadly, Teq has been all but abandoned here, despite us being one of the bigger servers. On the days when I do feel like trying to take down Teq, I either have to guest to Blackgate on reset or hook up with TTS.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Stopped on two encounters with the new wurm because limited testing left in bugs whick broke the event (the pirate and bombs going down instead of up). If it wasn’t for that, the wurm would have been done on the second encounter if not the first. Poor quality control has a definitenegative impact of the impressions of the enounter and those responsible for implementation.

Posted by: Master Yi.6129

Master Yi.6129

I think this review is invalid.

Posted by: Tick Infection.9834

Tick Infection.9834

I can’t agree enough about EXPLAINING THE MECHANICS IN GAME instead of just expecting us to trial and error our way to beating it. This update has left a lot of people very angry and frustrated.

And yes, WTF is up with the targeting? I haven’t complained about an update yet so I guess I’ll start now.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I think the main complaint mad queen had is not the difficulty itself, but the precision and coordination required in a zerg environment where lower-end computers can slow to a crawl. The other main complaint was that mechanics are discovered through trial and error because they are not effectively communicated in game. Again this is not asking for it to be easier, its simply asking that we be able to fight the content, not lag and bugs and opaque design.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: vadithiyan.6041

vadithiyan.6041

Seeing as how this game is named Guild Wars, i think the content is designed around guilds getting people together and doing the hard content, rather than being designed around Teamspeak. How your guild communicates with each other is not Anets problem.

Fenrir Lemonslice – Norn Warrior
Velaeriyan – Sylvari Ranger
Desolation

Posted by: pulupulu.9730

pulupulu.9730

I was wondering why dps was so low… didn’t know most people have trouble even moving.

My OC’ed i5 3570k cpu was able to run decently at cobalt with about 40ish people there (blackgate).

Posted by: LordMadman.5812

LordMadman.5812

I totally agree with you. I’m getting annoyed at having to use Dulfy to figure out what we’re suppose to do in-game.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Don’t worry about it. As I mentioned in a different post, the TTS Guild will analyse the encounter, and beat it. We’ll then provide some tips on how to go about it.

So ArenaNet made an event solely for mega-guilds like TTS? I sure do hope this game’s population holds, lest events like this and Tequatl go forever unbeatable.

PS – You don’t get to decide what people should and shouldn’t worry about. Everyone has their own opinions; you shouldn’t poopoo those of people with whom you disagree.

And a week after that it will be nothing more than an afterthought to the casual player, just as with Tequatl. And for the record, I have no problem with the difficulty of this event (or Teq), but I do feel they could scale much better. I don’t see why these fights couldn’t be just as difficult for a group of 25 or 40 as they are for 80 to 100.

Posted by: vrannar.5618

vrannar.5618

WoW devs NEVER tell ya how to beat their bosses. The best groups do then publish videos and guides. Too much complaining, these fights are amazing.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

WoW devs NEVER tell ya how to beat their bosses. The best groups do then publish videos and guides. Too much complaining, these fights are amazing.

WoW has instanced bosses. Think for a moment what that means. That means you can choose who is going to fight the boss alongside you. Just as importantly, that means you can choose who is NOT going to fight the boss alongside you. You don’t have to worry about some random guy being AFK in a turret…a turret upon which the entire fight (and the hour(s) spent waiting for the fight) hinges.

Elbegast.6970

But WoW has a beta test for those bosses. Those raid groups do the content weeks ahead of the actual release. GW2 has no beta testing. The patch goes live and in two weeks it’s gone again.

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

But WoW has a beta test for those bosses. Those raid groups do the content weeks ahead of the actual release. GW2 has no beta testing. The patch goes live and in two weeks it’s gone again.

Do you have proof that GW2 has absolutely no beta testing? I’ve seen videos of people testing the new WvW map and it’s not even out yet. Also, the wurm is permanent, it’s not leaving in 2 weeks.

Elbegast.6970

Do you have proof that GW2 has absolutely no beta testing? I’ve seen videos of people testing the new WvW map and it’s not even out yet. Also, the wurm is permanent, it’s not leaving in 2 weeks.

Okay let me rephrase…..GW2 has no open beta testing. Blizzard holds open betas for WoW and even utilizes a public test realm for new content. GW2 does nothing of the sort.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I also want to point out that trial and error is not good design. Doesn’t matter if WoW does it. Heck, wasn’t the reason a lot of us are playing GW2, to get away from WoW?

If you’re in a battle with a boss, there should be hints at what you need to do. How are the players supposed to figure out that they need to drop the kegs at a certain point in front of the wurm, and unless they all drop them at exactly the same time (By using Team Speak) it doesn’t harm him one bit?

And how are the players supposed to drop all those kegs at the same time, with all the performance issues, dozens of trash mobs being invisible (it’s the karka invasion all over again), and some kegs exploding if you get hurt?

Invisible enemies + exploding-barrels-if-you-get-hurt = BAD.

That is just terrible game design. It’s also bad to make the success of such a boss fight depend on so many individuals.

This is why these sort of events should be instanced:

• So they scale with lower amounts of players.
  • So less trash mobs are needed, thus reducing the amount of invisible enemies, and improving the frame rate.
  • So failure of the event is more in control of the players, rather than hinging on a few people being clueless, or watching a slide show.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My experience with the wurm fight went like this:

• After a lot of standing around doing nothing, the event finally kicks off.
  • Follow the Asura. So far, so good.
  • We have arrived somewhere. A wurm appears.
  • I see a barrel on the map. Okay. I get it. Carry barrels to the wurm. I’ve done this before, with beanstalks. I can do this. I got this.
  • I carry a dozen or so barrels to the wurm. So does everybody else. No damage.
  • Our wurm remains at 100% health. I glance at the HUD. The other wurm teams aren’t doing any better.
  • More barrels. What else am I going to do? I find out that you can’t touch water or you’ll lose the barrel. That’s inconvenient, especially when the water is very shallow.
  • Halfway through the fight, people start yelling about a red arrow. I look at the map, no arrow. I look on the ground, no arrow. I scan the air, no arrow. Then someone starts yelling about a black spot on the ground. I don’t see it. I see AoE circles, players, PARTICLE EFFECTS GALORE, but no indicators of what to do. ANet, are you absolutely sure that you’re tested this on lower graphics settings?
  • I decide that I’m not helping. I give up with the barrels and just shoot stuff. Someone has to do that as well, right? Am I helping now? I don’t know.
  • Someone starts yelling to “put barrels here!” and jumps around in a pretty much random spot away from the wurm. That… makes no sense.
  • I realize there is only 20 seconds left on the clock. I’m relieved that this will be over in a sec and I can go to bed and think about all the other things I could have done tonight.
  • Final standing: our wurm 100%, the other two at 100% and 97% (I think that was the red one)

Made me pretty cranky.

The Marionette fight before went better – just a shame that I was stuck in a lane and didn’t even get to see the puppet once. So for me it was kind of boring. Oh well, still better than the wurm fight. And sadly, that is the best I have to say about the boss fights.

VOLKON.1290

Okay let me rephrase…..GW2 has no open beta testing. Blizzard holds open betas for WoW and even utilizes a public test realm for new content. GW2 does nothing of the sort.

The difference you’re forgetting is that Blizzard holds that “open beta testing” for the top guilds to allow the top guilds to learn the script for the fight and release “how to kill” videos before the rest of the public gets access at all. They have to teach everyone the script for the fight before the fight is released. Think about that. “Hey everyone, here’s our new raid boss and here’s exactly how to beat him! Woohoo!”

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

@Pixelpumpkin
That pretty much sums it up.

I didn’t notice the red arrow until there was max 2 min left of the fight. Before that I heard people yell about an arrow, what arrow? And then i see it, hiding behind mobs and particle effects and red circles.

This needs to be a bit better/fixed for lower end computers, I also run on lowest graphics. Especially for zerg fests.

Maybe make that red arrow appear as some dot on the map? Just something like that would be a ton better.

Desolation

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

My experience with the wurm fight went like this:

-snip-

Made me pretty cranky.

That is exactly my experience as well. Me and my guildies were just standing there, looking at how players were trying to bring kegs to the Wurm, with no effect what so ever. Most of the enemies and players were invisible, the fight was stuttering all over the place. Everyone was getting randomly hit by invisible enemies and attacks, and randomly downed by things they could not see. Everyone else was struggling to platform kegs across the shallow water, while the game was running like a slide show.

It is exactly at this point that we simply stopped fighting (as in the picture in my opening post) and just stood to the side, and commented on this mess. It really is a mess.

DownPour.5903

Everyone else was struggling to platform kegs across the shallow water, while the game was running like a slide show.

Not to forget, if you get in combat trying to carry those kegs, you gonna fall in the water. How can you possibly not get in combat during such a messy fight?

Desolation

VOLKON.1290

Everyone else was struggling to platform kegs across the shallow water, while the game was running like a slide show.

Not to forget, if you get in combat trying to carry those kegs, you gonna fall in the water. How can you possibly not get in combat during such a messy fight?

Our third pass through we got that wurm to about half. It’s very doable. Designate a keg group while the rest focus on killing eggs and any mobs that spawn. Like Tequatl, it’ll take some time for people to get the hang of it and work together. The fight isn’t a mess, the people are right now. It’ll come. I like having fights that are making us think and work together instead of simply watching a video of how the top guilds followed a certain script to succeed.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I’m glad you consider this to be TTS’ personal boss.

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

GW2 maxes out high-end cpu’s in areas with a lot of activity. The only thing you can do about that is lower your settings.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

DownPour.5903

GW2 maxes out high-end cpu’s in areas with a lot of activity. The only thing you can do about that is lower your settings.

There’s nothing lower than lowest.

Desolation

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

There’s nothing lower than lowest.

Exactly. If I lowered my settings even further, I would be underground. Seriously, this is as low as they go. They need to tweak this sort of content better for computers that are not from the future.

lordkrall.7241

But where should they draw the line?
Should I be able to play these big events with a computer from the 90s?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LordMadman.5812

LordMadman.5812

The arrow was red and not on the mini-map? I never saw it at all lol. I guess I fail for being red / green colorblind and having to figure out where it’s at with all the other particle effects going on.

Make the game to appeal to the masses so we can all enjoy it please, and not to a guild organized to beat one boss. Particularly since the event only lasts a month too.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

We figured out the dynamics of the fights after 2 goes. BTW the barrels were bugged the first 2 times we went for it.

Almost every MMO (and FPS) is easier to co-ordinate groups and glean info via Voip, the fact that people don’t like it changes nothing, easier communication is an asset not a problem with game design. Even new dungeons are much easier when you don’t have to type. It’s not a hard tool to understand and any annoyance you might have with it can be solved fairly simply by muting any offending person. Regardless, if you don’t like it, don’t use it. We had over 100 on our TS yesterday, it was fun for most of us, yet there were plenty that didn’t join. I still don’t get why people play MMOs and complain about using Voip, play single player games if you don’t want to be social.

Xutt – Cobalt wurm – 20 kegs equals win have one group of 25 run them together
Zepp- Amber Wurm – Kill abominations with the “scent icon”, get smelly, get eaten by standing on the red arrow, Kill the pollup thing inside with the harpoon and get spit out, use the last harpoon shot on the wurm to lower the stacks. Profit.
Yipp- Crimson Wurm – I’m not sure of the mechanics, but the fight last night had it to 50% before time ran out.

I do think however the timer should either be increased or removed. If they remove it, it should be more of a fail state like the Scarlett encounter.

As far as performance, minimum graphics spec’d machines run the encounter well enough. We have plenty of people using min spec’d machines, they just crank the graphics down. Want pretty graphics and performance, you’re just going to have to spend money on a better rig, like any other game that has high detail graphics.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

munkiman.3068

The arrow was red and not on the mini-map? I never saw it at all lol. I guess I fail for being red / green colorblind and having to figure out where it’s at with all the other particle effects going on.

Make the game to appeal to the masses so we can all enjoy it please, and not to a guild organized to beat one boss. Particularly since the event only lasts a month too.

Wurm is perma like Teq, i thought? Think the Scarlett fight is only for the month.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Want pretty graphics and performance, you’re just going to have to spend money on a better rig, like any other game that has high detail graphics.

I just want my pc to run it at all. I don’t want half of the enemies to be invisible, like with the karka invasion.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

• Don’t spam trash mobs all over the arena, along with circles of death and hundreds of players!

This is the main one IMO. With the game having no taunt mechanic there is no way to pull the mobs to a side and focus them down, instead they ramble around after whoever they fancy targeting based on whatever opaque aggro mechanic ANet gave them.

Never mind that even the lowly at level trash mob has enough health to tie down just about anyone for a pointless amount of time if they are not running zerker to the hilt.

My tank bomber engineer watched one of the pirates eat bomb after bomb after bomb.

And that mob was likely one that spawns in the are and not really tied to the event at all, it just scaled up a bit from the presence of so many characters. The event mobs were all red level numbers and vet, elite or champ.

(edited by digiowl.9620)

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Marionette is hard, but not impossible when people know the mechanics of defenders well. The Wurms however are just riddiculous. I don’t know what ANet were thinking when they designed it. Unplayable indeed!

VOLKON.1290

This is the main one IMO. With the game having no taunt mechanic there is no way to pull the mobs to a side and focus them down, instead they ramble around after whoever they fancy targeting based on whatever opaque aggro mechanic ANet gave them.

Never mind that even the lowly at level trash mob has enough health to tie down just about anyone for a pointless amount of time if they are not running zerker to the hilt.

My tank bomber engineer watched one of the pirates eat bomb after bomb after bomb.

Watched? Shouldn’t you have killed him instead?

#TeamJadeQuarry

munkiman.3068

Want pretty graphics and performance, you’re just going to have to spend money on a better rig, like any other game that has high detail graphics.

I just want my pc to run it at all. I don’t want half of the enemies to be invisible, like with the karka invasion.

Since the culling patch, any problem with invisible enemies is usually a network issue on the players end, more so than a PC spec. I’ve yet to see an invisibility problem in the game anymore.