Marionette failed because of 1 person

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

There is always that platform where only one person gets teleported to. He can never kill the champ and event fails every time. You also can’t really controll who gets on that platform.

Is this supposed to be “challenge”, “fun”?

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Been happening all over the place. Definitely need to slap a patch on it.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Its because, once again, they are designing content for Blackgate and the privileged few super high pop servers and just expecting everyone else to guest (or transfer). They just assume there will be more than 25 people on each path (meaning 125 people total in the fight) to guarantee 5 people on each platform.

They need a population reality check (on every server) before designing any more of these fights.

Worm as well – requiring a bare minimum of 60 semi-organized people to deal with mechanics means some servers are probably out of luck (again).

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Cynz.9437

No, we did have 20+ ppl on each passage, when gate opened, ppl got teleported however there is ALWAYS that 1 platform that ports only ONE person. So that person ends up being alone vs that champ. If that guy doesn’t know what to do or if he is uplv then it is GG pretty much.

The entire map is at mercy of 1 random player. This is not content i wanted to see. I am seriously starting to hate living story. I don’t mind Scarlet, i don’t mind watchwork and what not but stop making content for Blackgate only.

All is Vain~

(edited by Cynz.9437)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

More like the entire map is at the mercy of RNG, Cynz. They should probably change it so an equal amount of people are sent to each boss. Meaning if 20 enter the one portal, there should be 4 at each boss. Likewise if there are 21, one of the groups should have 5 people instead of 4.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

That’s what happens when they tune everything based on high population servers and geared guardians and warriors. They need to start designing these events in a way which allows upscaled players to participate without burdening other players.

Posted by: Stormy Dragon.9210

Stormy Dragon.9210

Remember how the events in this game were gonna automatically scaled based on the players involved? Gotta love bait and switch.

Posted by: WaystedMined.7831

WaystedMined.7831

The seeming RNG on where people are placed on the platforms is terrible. Earlier today 4 of the 5 platforms had 5-6 people on them. The 5th platform? TWO!

Posted by: TheNinjaCupcake.3465

TheNinjaCupcake.3465

There’s such a simple fix for it: Just make it so people can attack the champs on other people’s platforms instead of just standing around like “Hurr durr, dat looks like a nice fight over dere!”

I assume it’d be easier to do that then to fix the balancing issue (I could be wrong), but it wouldn’t even be that broken. Any ranged people on the other platforms can fire away and if we’re taking down power generators, it would make sense that the barriers between platforms could potentially be broken so melee people could join in, yes? Make it so that only people on adjacent platforms can join the fray. That way we aren’t just watching as victory slips through our grasp because of poor balancing.

*Edit: I think the friggin NPCs are counted in the balancing too. I was on a platform with four others and we whooped our champ. I look to the left and who do I see but three poor dudes fighting the champ and Marjory getting flung like a ragdoll. I REALLY hope she wasn’t included in the equation, because that’s just suck.

(edited by TheNinjaCupcake.3465)

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

Well… broken and untested stuff is to be expected at this point, so i can only hope they’ll fix this somehow. And my hopes aren’t even that high.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The marionette battle should be more forgiving. If one platform fails, then the successful teams should be able to move to the other platforms to still make it. It feels so lame when your side does an excellent job, but there’s one guy stuck alone on a platform, unable to do a single thing about his inevitable loss.

Also, killing everyone on the entire map is rather harsh for failing the event. This is the biggest explorable in the entire game, and this fight was supposed to be casual. Make it down just the players that are taking part in the event, instead of killing all people that are not even remotely near the marionette.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Posted by: Soronthar.7236

Soronthar.7236

Also, killing everyone on the entire map is rather harsh for failing the event. This is the biggest explorable in the entire game, and this fight was supposed to be casual. Make it down just the players that are taking part in the event, instead of killing all people that are not even remote near the marionette.

That’s the answer to players asking two things from the Scarlet invasions:
* Make it so failures impact the map.
* Make it so people feel the need to participate or else.

So you really can’t blame ANET, that was actually a good solution to what players were asking.

So if you;re in Lornar Pass and see a gigantic marionette walking around, you do what heroes do: either go and stop it, or flee because you’re underpowered.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

this is why you use map chat and coordinate before everything starts

make sure every lane has at least 20-25 people

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

Remember how the events in this game were gonna automatically scaled based on the players involved? Gotta love bait and switch.

Or how about when you failed a world boss, you’d have reprecussions on the world that would lead to more Dynamic Events, that when finished would give you another shot at the boss.

You know, that system that has all but been forgotten in favor of time gated crafting content, and now time gated World Bosses that simply respawn in two hours if you fail.

Cynz.9437

this is why you use map chat and coordinate before everything starts

make sure every lane has at least 20-25 people

you think we didn’t? it still happend that there was only 1 guy at one platform

All is Vain~

Posted by: Phanstaro.7308

Phanstaro.7308

Yeah, this really upset me too especially when everybody was doing so well; Failing the entire event because of the unbalanced platform is soul crushing when you’ve got 100+ fairly organised players.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I get that they are splitting up the zerg, and they want to encourage those moments where you feel like you, as an individual, had a big impact on the fight. But I think the initial platform separation is enough. Standing around for a good minute just watching a single defeated player on a platform is not a compelling moment. Let the walls come down after you defeat your champion so you can at least help range the others.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Wheezy.2846

Wheezy.2846

I get that they are splitting up the zerg, and they want to encourage those moments where you feel like you, as an individual, had a big impact on the fight. But I think the initial platform separation is enough. Standing around for a good minute just watching a single defeated player on a platform is not a compelling moment. Let the walls come down after you defeat your champion so you can at least help range the others.

That would be something I’d like to see. Reward the group that killed their champ quickly and let us help one another. If we have to work together for the rest of the event, why not there? It also sucks when there are 2 of you on a platform but the person you’re with either dies instantly or doesn’t help res you when you go down, which has cost us a chain 2 times.

I DO like the bosses though, and aside from that, I like the challenge on them.

Posted by: urtv.8791

urtv.8791

wait till the dps nerf kicks in

Cynz.9437

after bunch of tries all i gotta say: kitten living story, i am done with it or anything that comes in the future

All is Vain~

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Yeah I also remember how there wasn’t going to be grinding or a gear treadmill. Die instantly when wearing lv 80 exotics? OK. “get gear nub”

Posted by: Squee Squashington.5189

Squee Squashington.5189

I guess the tryhards are buying more gems than the casuals >.>

Legendary Defender of Casuals

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

3 times now on TC doing Marionette get put into overflow and then only a couple of people port to platform and so it ends up failing.

Getting beyond a joke.

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

That would be something I’d like to see. Reward the group that killed their champ quickly and let us help one another. If we have to work together for the rest of the event, why not there? It also sucks when there are 2 of you on a platform but the person you’re with either dies instantly or doesn’t help res you when you go down, which has cost us a chain 2 times.

I DO like the bosses though, and aside from that, I like the challenge on them.

If only a couple of people on platform it is a bit hard to rez downed player while you are getting the crap knocked out of you by the champ.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I’d call that an issue, not a feature.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

So you really can’t blame ANET, that was actually a good solution to what players were asking.

So if you;re in Lornar Pass and see a gigantic marionette walking around, you do what heroes do: either go and stop it, or flee because you’re underpowered.

And what if you’re on the other side of the map, and you don’t see the marionette, but it still kills you?

Or what if you just entered the map, you are still in your loading screen, and it kills you?

People that are not taking part in the battle, and are not close to the marionette, should not be getting killed.

Posted by: Natomi.9427

Natomi.9427

Yeah, this really upset me too especially when everybody was doing so well; Failing the entire event because of the unbalanced platform is soul crushing when you’ve got 100+ fairly organised players.

And this is why I will not try this fight again. The risk of being that person, soloing a champ (even though this is something that I can often manage outside of Orr), and failing, thereby wasting all those peoples effort, is simply not worth the payoff.

Update: I didn’t listen to my own advice! Went through the portal, cleared out the champion (following the excellent guide on this forum), back out to stage 2 defence. In through the portal again, to be insta-downed on arrival (as were the other 2 people in the circle) with no opportunity to get back up. Circle wiped. Not fun. Although the tower defense part was cool

(edited by Natomi.9427)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

And what if you’re on the other side of the map, and you don’t see the marionette, but it still kills you?

Or what if you just entered the map, you are still in your loading screen, and it kills you?

People that are not taking part in the battle, and are not close to the marionette, should not be getting killed.

Good time for new players to join the game!

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Multiple times failed because 25+ people went in and one person ends up alone on a platform. Unbelievable. Please fix.

From Desolation

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I really want to be able to join up with the other platforms, after beating one. Once my platform has beaten the boss, drop the walls, and allow us to come in and help the one that is still struggling. It is so frustrating to simply be forced to watch as one player gets pummeled to death helplessly, and fails the event, while everyone else initially succeeded.

Posted by: WaystedMined.7831

WaystedMined.7831

On so many attempts my platform has been cleared only to look over and see some poor platform stuck with 2 people on it, while every other platform has 5+ and in one instance there were 8 people on a platform I was on while another had 2. Seriously WTF.

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

I really want to be able to join up with the other platforms, after beating one. Once my platform has beaten the boss, drop the walls, and allow us to come in and help the one that is still struggling. It is so frustrating to simply be forced to watch as one player gets pummeled to death helplessly, and fails the event, while everyone else initially succeeded.

I did this event three times last night and we failed each one. I never did see a good reason for the failures, as each time my lane was kicking butt. It’s pretty frustrating and the lack of any XP or appreciable loot for that work is discouraging.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Why won’t you people just forget these huge bosses need a holy kittening number of players and leave our emerging elitist servers alone! [/sarcasm]

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I wish they stopped with open world events. MAKE MORE INSTANCES!!!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wish they stopped with open world events. MAKE MORE INSTANCES!!!

Careful! People will hunt you for statements like that. :P

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Its because, once again, they are designing content for Blackgate and the privileged few super high pop servers and just expecting everyone else to guest (or transfer). They just assume there will be more than 25 people on each path (meaning 125 people total in the fight) to guarantee 5 people on each platform.

They need a population reality check (on every server) before designing any more of these fights.

Worm as well – requiring a bare minimum of 60 semi-organized people to deal with mechanics means some servers are probably out of luck (again).

I wish they would finally realize this. They really need to stop creating content focused around the number players that only a couple servers can field all the time.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

I tried hitting the gate to port, but lag. Next thing I know, stuck down below with gate sickness or whatever it’s called. I must have tried interacting with the porty gatey thing twice? Grr.

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

You can have people switch lanes to aid that one guy on the platform. It worked wonders for us in SBI last night.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

If it is really random where people are placed, they should rework it. How about this: Person 1 is sent to platform 1, person 2 is sent to platform 2, … , person 5 is sent to platform 5, person 6 is again sent to platform 1, and so forth. Some people could get a DC, but that should happen pretty uniformly across all platform, so balance is maintained. Disregarding DCs this ensures that the difference between largest and smallest population on a platform is never greater than 1.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Yeah I also remember how there wasn’t going to be grinding or a gear treadmill. Die instantly when wearing lv 80 exotics? OK. “get gear nub”

Welcome to life in WvW.

Wait, were we talking PvP again?

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Or how about when you failed a world boss, you’d have reprecussions on the world that would lead to more Dynamic Events, that when finished would give you another shot at the boss.

You know, that system that has all but been forgotten in favor of time gated crafting content, and now time gated World Bosses that simply respawn in two hours if you fail.

These two points. Times 9000.
While I find the amount of players required for the Marionette event ok, as it is a LS event (and therefore fairly well frequented), needing 80+ (or in this case, 100+) players to have a chance at succeeding in an open world event is just insane. It would feel really much more rewarding if coordinated and skillful play would allow you to ‘beat’ the event with less people.

That said, I find the Marionette event a very nice example of a large scale event requiring just the right amount of coordination – because you do need to coordinate, but it’s perfectly doable via mapchat before the event begins, and fairly intuitive after that.

Except for the platform bug, and the fact that you can’t help out other platforms when you already finished your own…

Polka will never die

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Just had my first guaranteed RNG loss to a platform not being allocated any players by the dice. A challenge I find fun (in fact I can be slightly masochistic), this is just dirty, cheap and outright insulting.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

ANet should make it so that once a group manages to clear their platform, they will be ported to another that still has a champion.

But the current RandomFailGenerator system is just pathetic.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Gloomspanner.5920

Gloomspanner.5920

One way to get around this is to have some groups of “floaters.” For example, after completing Lane 1’s phase 2, those people would go to Lane 3 or 4 and some from Lane 2 would go to Lane 4 or 5. After completing the portal in the new lane, they just go back to their original lane and repeat.

You don’t need as many defenders in the lanes when you’re portal isn’t active. The only thing people will have to be aware of is the length of their debuff from entering a portal.

Tarnished Coast: Nevis Klab, thief. Triqqz, elementalist.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

They really have to find a solution to this, I tried marionette 5 times today and all were fails.
Living story isn’t supposed to be that hard.
And another annoying thing is you can’t get your server’s main instance, I entered 30min before event and I’ve been exiled to overflow server. What do I have to do, wait for 2 hours sitting there afk ?
Also dodged all stomps but I didn’t get the achievement with this 5 tries.
This living story is not fun because of these reasons really.
Dear anet, please either make it easier to do with pug groups or convert it to a soloable or custom-party-runnable instance.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I think it a lot of cases, people don’t realise they need to press F to teleport. If you don’t notice it as you run at the portal, you can run through, the notification disappears, and you have to back off then go again. I missed a port one time because of this.

Then you have commanders that sit on the spawn (thats all good) but then don’t shout out that the portal is open and/or go to it. Bad commanders, in other words. Happened to me today where the only 5 people who ported were the last line of defence because the commander didn’t move off the front line or call it.

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Also, killing everyone on the entire map is rather harsh for failing the event. This is the biggest explorable in the entire game, and this fight was supposed to be casual. Make it down just the players that are taking part in the event, instead of killing all people that are not even remote near the marionette.

Wait… What!? I can understand why I’d die, but everyone on map. This + the 3 wurm kill timer… what on earth are they even thinking?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Wait… What!? I can understand why I’d die, but everyone on map. This + the 3 wurm kill timer… what on earth are they even thinking?

Welcome to the new Anet logic. Create content that be kittened because of one person, even if its not necessarily that persons fault or in their control.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Diabolus Anur Kaya.8379

Diabolus Anur Kaya.8379

I think this is the worst ls that has been released, especially when you consider the two hour wait to maybe get on either your main or, crosses fingers, a good overflow, and then you have some poor person or two who are teleported to that one platform.

It gets even worse when you take into account that the rewards are pretty lame compared to time committed and effort put forth. Scarlets invasions left us with tons of loot which we could salvage or sell, but this really sucks. You start the event with an empty inventory and after the event fails you have practically nothing except for a few bits of different components that you need at least 25 of to make into something.

Back to dungeons, temples, and getting more toons to map completion I guess.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Well to be fair, I think the Marionette as is, is a a splendid boss fight. It feels epic, the music is great, and it has good mechanics. But I think they’ve made it a bit too hard, and too easy to be failed by random factors. The suggestion to join the other platforms would really improve this battle.

Also, it saddens me that arguably one of the better boss fights in the game, is only here for 2 weeks.