Thanks for the Overflow fest!

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Kilandros.2098

Kilandros.2098

Let’s put these events on a really long timer so people have to camp out for hours just to do the event on the main server map. Superb thinking there. I for one can think of no better way to experience GW2 than to be forced to occupy the same map for hours on end. Bravo.

4/4/14 never forget

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Please, I’d love to hear your solution to overflows.

Kilandros.2098

Event on a 30 minute cycle so people are more willing to come and go from the map. I realize I didn’t spell this out—but I’m surprised I had to.

Vol.7601

Event on a 30 minute cycle so people are more willing to come and go from the map. I realize I didn’t spell this out—but I’m surprised I had to.

You do know that would make things worse? Players would stay on the map longer since it would be respawning shortly.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Or people will sit in the same map and just have to wait less…30min cycles doesn’t solve the problem.

Player who are serious about killing wurm would not move.

Kilandros.2098

You do know that would make things worse? Players would stay on the map longer since it would be respawning shortly.

I’ll tell you what, you convince ANet to try 30 min cycles and if the problem worsens, I’ll publicly laud your supreme intelligence.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Four out of five chains on an overflow.

I agree, thank you ANet. It certainly beats being unable to access the content.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Kilandros.2098

Nice straw-man argument.

VOLKON.1290

I’ll tell you what, you convince ANet to try 30 min cycles and if the problem worsens, I’ll publicly laud your supreme intelligence.

Thirty minute cycles? What a horrible idea, especially at this “still learning” stage. It takes longer than that to get people into TS, get them split up into five (or three, depending) groups, make sure they know what to do, etc. All you’d have is thirty minute cycles of chaotic fail and rage. With the hour it is now (if you hop between bosses) it’s working out rather well.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Vol.7601

That comment alone tells me you can’t even create a reasonable response to the issue at hand.

I ask again – what would you do to handle overflows? They are obviously here for a reason.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Not necessarily. Once they get their daily chests there’s little reason to be masochistic and stay. At first people will stay to complete achievements but later on a shorter timer would help a lot. I don’t agree with 30 minute cycle though, since it takes roughly 30 minutes to complete the event. I’d say a 1hr cycle rather than a 2hr cycle is much more beneficial for all those involved.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Curious.. What’s the difference between your native server or an overflow?

I’ve done events on both and neither one is superior to the other. They both have people who go AFK, don’t listen to instructions, or even have map chat off.

It doesn’t matter what server you’re on if the people doing the event don’t want to learn the mechanics or how to achieve victory.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

Kilandros.2098

That comment alone tells me you can’t even create a reasonable response to the issue at hand.

I ask again – what would you do to handle overflows? They are obviously here for a reason.

I told you, reduce the timer cycles. The mere fact that you disagree doesn’t mean I’m wrong in absolute terms. Why don’t you follow your own request and demonstrate why I’m wrong instead of asking me to do it for you.

I’m the OP and I made my point clear. You want to fight it? Go ahead.

Kilandros.2098

Really? You are aware that will only make people stay on the map longer than they should? It will be too easy to wait for the boss to spawn and then get even more rewards in a short amount of time.

Technically the boss would be spawning right after it dies, the farm fest would be awful.

please tell us more about how you think people would stick around to repeat an event after they obtain their daily chest.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Create overflow districts that can be selectable like Guild Wars 1. That way you can meet people from your guild/friends in a predetermined district.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

I have no problem with Overflow. It’s nice to be in Overflow actually instead of not being able to access the map at all.

My issue was the long wait time for the event to respawn.

Your solution to overflow — reduce spawn time — fixes my problem, but doesn’t fix yours.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Invest a little money to buy some servers that can handle more than a few people on a map? I’m sure other MMO’s can handle more than 70 people on one part of the map..

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

It’s not our job to find solutions.
Our job is to give money to NCsoft, who then pays Anet employees for finding solutions.

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

hmm got deleted but well at least you have it on quote, as of now everyone is aiming for achievements so many people will stay until they have them (although most are really easy with things like “evade this, evade that”).

I can stay on map 1 hour before reset and attempt to do the fight 2 times at most, if I get the chests for that day then “yaaaaay!” I can patiently wait until the next reset and get them again until the team manages to complete it.

Since when I get online is 2 hours before reset due to work nothing’s stopping me from staying on the map as much as I want until I get my chests for that day. When I leave someone will take my spot.

1 hour is fine since it takes some time to prepare the map, 30 minutes isn’t. At least for me don’t know what others think, waiting for Teq to spawn is extremely booooooring.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

(edited by ghost.3208)

VOLKON.1290

Nice straw-man argument.

Hey, we were kicking that straw man’s butt, so I’m willing to roll with it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Not necessarily. Once they get their daily chests there’s little reason to be masochistic and stay

This is true. However, because it’s new content and players are still learning the fight, they wouldn’t leave.

Create overflow districts that can be selectable like Guild Wars 1. That way you can meet people from your guild/friends in a predetermined district.

This seems like a better solution.

Invest a little money to buy some servers that can handle more than a few people on a map? I’m sure other MMO’s can handle more than 70 people on one part of the map..

Actually this is a very common problem for a lot of current and soon to be released MMOs. This is not secluded to GW2 alone. It’s more complicated than buying a few more servers.

(edited by KOPPER.1458)

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

4/4/14 never forget

It’s cute how you think TESO is going to be the next mmo saviour and is using this as some jab/threat to Anet. Prepare to be disappointed! :P (seriously.. it’s very meh..)

Delvoire.8930

4/4/14 never forget

It’s cute how you think TESO is going to be the next mmo saviour and is using this as some jab/threat to Anet. Prepare to be disappointed! :P (seriously.. it’s very meh..)

Shh… let the negative community members leave

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

I’ve done events on both and neither one is superior to the other. They both have people who go AFK, don’t listen to instructions, or even have map chat off.

It doesn’t matter what server you’re on if the people doing the event don’t want to learn the mechanics or how to achieve victory.

At least on the EU side of things overflow servers have the inherent problem that all nationalities / national servers are thrown together. So you have people asking for people that speak their language in French, German, Polish and whatnot, because they can’t speak English or only speak and understand it poorly.
So add language barriers to the mix of unorganized pugging and it gets worse.

I don’t think the overflow mechanic is inherently bad, but as it was pointed out, being able to choose your overflow or at least keeping the overflow servers consistent with the server language, as there are dedicated servers for French, German and Spanish players plus ‘inofficial’ server languages when people gather there, would help a lot.

(edited by Sourde Noire.5286)

VOLKON.1290

4/4/14 never forget

They’ll just be back in a couple weeks anyhow.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

My solution to overflow would be to have the content scale to the number of people doing the event. Then it wouldnt be so bad to be in overflow. As it stands right now you need 80 – 100 people to beat the event and not every overflow has those numbers.

That or allow more people into the main map. And if that is too technically challenging then they shouldnt design open world content that takes 80 – 100 people to take down period.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Delvoire.8930

At least on the EU side of things overflow servers have the inherent problem that all nationalities / national servers are thrown together. So you have people asking for people that speak their language in French, German, Polish and whatnot, because they can’t speak English or only speak and understand it poorly.

I don’t think the overflow mechanic is inherently bad, but as it was pointed out, being able to choose your overflow or at least keeping the overflow servers consistent with the server language, as there are dedicated servers for French, German and Spanish players plus ‘inofficial’ server languages when people gather there, would help a lot.

Thanks. That may be the only legit complaint to the overflow issue. On the NA side this isn’t a problem. That seems like it would be huge for EU though.

Kilandros.2098

Thanks. That may be the only legit complaint to the overflow issue. On the NA side this isn’t a problem. That seems like it would be huge for EU though.

Excuse me, but I think being forced into underpopulated overflows is a “legit” complaint.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

4/4/14 never forget

That is a good way to fix the overflow issues, just wait for players to quit

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Delvoire.8930

Excuse me, but I think being forced into underpopulated overflows is a “legit” complaint.

Not really…

The overflows are created when a server is FULL. Then an overflow is made. When that one fills, another is made and so on.

So if there is 1 or maybe 2 overflows that just maybe don’t have enough players to do the event, that’s not a failure. You still have hundreds of players doing the event. You just handcuffed yourself because you showed up 10 minutes before spawn time.

Just come back the next time as it keeps spawning every 2 hours. Just this time come back a little sooner. It’s not like any of this is going away soon. Wurm is here to stay forever and the Marionette is here for 2+ weeks.

Kilandros.2098

Not really…

The overflows are created when a server is FULL. Then an overflow is made. When that one fills, another is made and so on.

So if there is 1 or maybe 2 overflows that just maybe don’t have enough players to do the event, that’s not a failure. You still have hundreds of players doing the event. You just handcuffed yourself because you showed up 10 minutes before spawn time.

Just come back the next time as it keeps spawning every 2 hours. Just this time come back a little sooner. It’s not like any of this is going away soon. Wurm is here to stay forever and the Marionette is here for 2+ weeks.

I realize you jumped into this thread midway, but I hate to have to reiterate my OP.

This is exactly what I’m unhappy about: Being required to camp out on a map for several hours to do an event in main. As it currently stands on Blackgate, if you aren’t there an 1+ hours before the event, you aren’t getting into main. For me that’s unacceptable.

Savoy.6824

@Delvoire and what, stand around for 30 minutes while you wait for it to spawn. I only have a few hours to play a night. I dont want to spend my precious time standing around with my thumb up my rear. Maybe you find that enjoyable but I like playing content. They either need to make things scale in the overflows or increase the number people allowed per map or if both of those things is too complicated then dont design content that cant be done by less than 80 – 100 people. The tower of nightmares patch was more fun than this.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

yesterday I had a better run in an overflow then on the main server.

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

That’s not true! U can limit the reward once per day! Problem solved!

VOLKON.1290

That’s not true! U can limit the reward once per day! Problem solved!

Creates more problems where you’d wind up with a lot of times that are under/un-populated. People would group, do it once, good luck to the rest of ya.

It’s fine as it is. Right now between the two bosses there’s an hour wait between starts, enough time to do a fight, map hop, organize and do the next with time still to pee.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Better down-scaling of encounters.

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Raids should be an instance not an open world event. Then you can start them at your own leisure and choose who you go with. Finishing content, story content no less, with a huge reliance on random people is such insanely stupid design. Who the hell came up with this???

Savoy.6824

@Volkon, nope, it does not create that problem. Just do it like all the other world bosses. Give out a big daily chest for first completion, then give out greens and dragonite for the subsequent runs and people will repeat it. Thats how it works for every other world boss.

VOLKON.1290

@Volkon, nope, it does not create that problem. Just do it like all the other world bosses. Give out a big daily chest for first completion, then give out greens and dragonite for the subsequent runs and people will repeat it. Thats how it works for every other world boss.

Probably in the future it’ll change to a timer more in line with the other bosses (referring to the Wurm). But with two new mega-event bosses on the map you have one-hour cycling right now if you hop boss to boss. That’s a pretty good pace.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

We need more servers

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I would just like that when you start an event and if you get disconnected you go back to the same overflow/server you were at so that you don’t lose your place and progress.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Raising home server caps. Alternatively we could scrap servers entirely and just go back to the district solution of Guild Wars. Not like you get much playtime on your chosen server anyhow.

Delvoire.8930

Not really…

I realize you jumped into this thread midway, but I hate to have to reiterate my OP.

This is exactly what I’m unhappy about: Being required to camp out on a map for several hours to do an event in main. As it currently stands on Blackgate, if you aren’t there an 1+ hours before the event, you aren’t getting into main. For me that’s unacceptable.

Well to be honest.. you’re not required. It’s your choice. If the content is not for you then move along….

People camp out in front of kitten and Jormag before their timers pop. Maybe not an hour, but they do.

As for playing in an overflow, I still see nothing wrong with that aside from the EU thing above. I’ve done many of an event whilst playing in an Overflow.

VOLKON.1290

Raising home server caps. Alternatively we could scrap servers entirely and just go back to the district solution of Guild Wars. Not like you get much playtime on your chosen server anyhow.

So you’d break the entire WvW system?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

How about being able to pick an overflow? Or being able to move groups simultaneously (and being able to form larger ones than in fives to begin with)?
Or if not districts like in GW1, at least an actually functional queue and multiple servers-specific districts?

Thirty minute cycles? What a horrible idea, especially at this “still learning” stage. It takes longer than that to get people into TS, get them split up into five (or three, depending) groups, make sure they know what to do, etc. All you’d have is thirty minute cycles of chaotic fail and rage. With the hour it is now (if you hop between bosses) it’s working out rather well.

… why would the players who use TS somehow be forced to organize themselves within a 30 minute window?

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

So you’d break the entire WvW system?

It’s already pretty broken. I’d just opt for something like TESO, get the Orders involved. Might result in more interesting and even matches.

Posted by: JakeMagnus.4035

JakeMagnus.4035

I agree, this is total kitten. I just spent half an hour in overflow while my friends were on the main server with the puppet event on. I couldn’t join them, even though we were in a party, because the server was full. And the overflow was on a different timer so who knows when it would have started.

At least start the event at the same time on all the servers and on all the overflows.

This is horrible and by far the worst Living ‘Story’ update so far. The worst of a lot of bad ones. It’s making me so angry I just want to quit this kitten.

Posted by: urtv.8791

urtv.8791

get better servers just like every other mmo out there that can support hundreds to thousands of players on a map

Kilandros.2098

Not really…

Well to be honest.. you’re not required. It’s your choice. If the content is not for you then move along….

People camp out in front of kitten and Jormag before their timers pop. Maybe not an hour, but they do.

As for playing in an overflow, I still see nothing wrong with that aside from the EU thing above. I’ve done many of an event whilst playing in an Overflow.

You’re really trying my patience here. So far in this thread your posts can be reduced to the following:

1) Just camp until you can do the event.

2) If you don’t like it, don’t do it.

What’s your problem? If you LIKE the content just say so. Don’t make this about me and how I can just move along. I didn’t title the OP “Please come into this thread and tell me to quit the game because I don’t like this patch.”

If you want to disagree, fine, please elaborate what you think is good about the patch. So far you haven’t said a single thing actually applauding the content—you’ve merely told us the ways in which we can cope with the burden of overflows by investing large amounts of our time, and then telling us we can go on our ways.

Why don’t you take a minute and think about how to articulate why we SHOULD deal with the overflows instead of continuing to regurgitate why we MUST deal with the overflows.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Most groups who actually want to kill him want overflows so yes thank you Anet for them