Jotun pronunciation... Really?

in Norn

Posted by: Uberrod.1342

Uberrod.1342

The biggest complaint I have about the Norns is the pronunciation of “Jotun”. It should be “Yo-tun” not with a hard J like it is in the game.

If you are going to use stuff from the Norse culture, at least learn the correct way of pronouncing the word. The letter J is always has the Y sound. Jarl is Yarl, Johanson is Yohanson, etc.

But I figure if that is my biggest complaint then things are pretty good.

in Norn

Posted by: Zoula.5139

Zoula.5139

Wouldn’t really make sense considering their lack of accent in the first place.

Zoula Frostmane
<Bloodgale Vanguard>
www.vanguardgaming.com

in Norn

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

If you are going to use stuff from the Norse culture, at least learn the correct way of pronouncing the word.

It’s not pronounced “Yo-tun” either; the “o” has an umlaut (ö).

You should stop being picky about stupid minor things, really.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

in Norn

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I don’t think they truly want to go with a Nordic accent overall. Admitted it is there, but since they really aren’t Nords, but Norn is makes a difference.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

in Norn

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

also “golem” somehow became “gollum”

“go-lum” became “goll-um”

Irony…. xD

in Norn

Posted by: Khasalianus.8610

Khasalianus.8610

Maybe the Norn changed it to Jotun when they went with the ‘new’ language that everyone speaks… Ya know, how many words in other languages are mispronounced in English, like Caesar (pronounced Kaiser). Oh and if you really want to get picky, its Jötunn.

“That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.” – Twilight of the Idols
- Friedrich Nietzsche -

in Norn

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

It’s Tyrian pronounciation… not norse. I think we can give them some creative license on this one.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

in Norn

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

Everything has an Americanized pronunciation. Except maybe the Gollum bit- dunno where that one came from.

Examples:
Centaur- Sen-taur (am), Ken-taur(eu, latin)
Jormag- Jor-mag (am), yor-mog (norse, I think? maybe swedish?)
Zhaitan- Zi-tan (am), ZShai-tan (Islam, kittenan, with some creative license for the Z)
Quay- Kway (am), Key (eu)

etc… sure creative license and all that, but really I think it was done on purpose to make things simpler and consistent. Some are harmless- Centaur is technically the correct pronunciation in American english, it just bothers our cousins accross the pond. Zhaitan and Jormag though bug me- they are very close to words taken from another language and have no standard English version, but they didn’t bring the original pronunciation with them. Grrr.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Norn

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

They’re not nordic. They’re a fantasy race. Just because they’re loosely based on something doesn’t mean they should replicate their every tiniest detail.

in Norn

Posted by: SuperLuigi.3720

SuperLuigi.3720

They’re not pronouncing it incorrectly, they’re pronouncing it differently. There is a distinction.

Or do you believe that you and a crap ton of random people playing the game knew the proper way to pronounce jotun, and not one person who wrote, spoke or listened to the dialogue knew?

in Norn

Posted by: Brennus.1435

Brennus.1435

It’s a fantasy game /based/ on life as we understand it. Arguing about grammar in a language /similar/ to a real life one, is silly.

“Everyone is born a 5 signet Warrior,
what we become later only depends
on how hard we try and how good we want to become.” -HannaDeFreitas

in Norn

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Even these guys seem to pronounce it that way, and they’re Swedish. That’s kinda like Norse, isn’t it?

in Norn

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

It’s Norn language not Norse.

in Norn

Posted by: TinyHowie.3946

TinyHowie.3946

I’m offended they are not in full old Norse for Norn.

in Norn

Posted by: Kwami.4356

Kwami.4356

The worst is Knut. The ‘K’ is hard, not silent!

Oh, well. Norn just talk funny.

in Norn

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I raged hard when I heard quay pronounced kway for the first time.

At least it’s not as bad as TOR – “legate” was pronounced “laygatay” and some other abominations. It’s like the voice directors didn’t know how to speak.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Norn

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

It is the Anglicized version of the word. So you literally say it Joton. The “Yoton” pronunciation comes with the “ö” character so would be spelt Jöton.

It is not a Norn word or a Tyrian or fantasy word but an English one.

As a rule of thumb if a J is followed by a ö character then say Yo, but if it is followed by an o character then pronounce it as you usually would.

in Norn

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

Everything has an Americanized pronunciation. Except maybe the Gollum bit- dunno where that one came from.

Examples:
Centaur- Sen-taur (am), Ken-taur(eu, latin)
Jormag- Jor-mag (am), yor-mog (norse, I think? maybe swedish?)
Zhaitan- Zi-tan (am), ZShai-tan (Islam, kittenan, with some creative license for the Z)
Quay- Kway (am), Key (eu)

etc… sure creative license and all that, but really I think it was done on purpose to make things simpler and consistent. Some are harmless- Centaur is technically the correct pronunciation in American english, it just bothers our cousins accross the pond. Zhaitan and Jormag though bug me- they are very close to words taken from another language and have no standard English version, but they didn’t bring the original pronunciation with them. Grrr.

Actually in this game it seems like everyone pronounces centaur as sen-tar. Which is weird to me, I always hear sen-tor. It makes me wonder if they pronounce taurus as tar-us O.o

in Norn

Posted by: Jatari Thundercloud.3794

Jatari Thundercloud.3794

well i pronounce it Joe Ton but as I always do with pronunciations in this game i listen to the npcs. helps alot.

Defensive Tactical Commander
Server : Dragonbrand

in Norn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I know that it’s supposed to be “Yo-tun”, but I often forget it myself and pronounce it Jotun. >.>

in Norn

Posted by: TheCelt.1394

TheCelt.1394

Honestly, trying to compare fictional fantasy cultures to real life cultures is like comparing apples to ora-. . . socks. Sure, they may have had real life influences, but at the end of the day, it’s still a fictional culture, and can be made to be whatever it wants by the creator.

“It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument”. -William G. McAdoo

in Norn

Posted by: sjang.2356

sjang.2356

wel its not based on nors culture maybe a litle but when i did the story line whit my mesmer i found a group of norn whit frysian names so i think they made a mix of some nordic cultures and made it into one so thats they say things difrent because u cant make a accent of all that difrent cultures .

in Norn

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I kind of get where the OP is coming from, but I don’t really have a problem with it mostly because there’s no indication in the game that Norse (or anything resembling it) is their native tongue, it’s just standard English. Thus, it’s more of an easter egg than anything else and should conform to standard Anglicized pronunciations.

A good analogy exists with the word ambience. Sure, ambience has a French origin, and is a recent enough addition to English pop culture that many people still pronounce it “ahm-bee-ahnce”. But, if you check the dictionary, you’ll see it’s been fully integrated into English and the appropriate pronunciation is simply “am-be-uhns”

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

in Norn

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

Actually in this game it seems like everyone pronounces centaur as sen-tar. Which is weird to me, I always hear sen-tor. It makes me wonder if they pronounce taurus as tar-us O.o

About some of these vowel sounds (centaur, golem, etc.): a lot of American dialects have less vowel sounds than British English, or even other American dialects. In some cases, we are literally unable to hear the difference, because the human brain is programmed to stop distinguishing differences that don’t matter. (That’s why people raised speaking Mandarin have issues with L and R.)

So yeah. The actors most likely say “sen-tar” and drive home in a Ford “Tar-us” because they hear no difference from “sen-tor” and “tor-us.”

in Norn

Posted by: Odaen.1803

Odaen.1803

But I figure if that is my biggest complaint then things are pretty good.

This made my eye twitch too. And my wife has to hear about it everytime they say Joe-tun. I hiss and whisper “YOE-tun” and make snarly faces at the screen.

But they’re still my favorite race, so…

in Norn

Posted by: Mairenaianelle.3849

Mairenaianelle.3849

Hah. Should see me and the hubby when we hear some of this. We do the same thing of correcting the pronunciations ( he’s Norwegian, I’m from the Southern US…so have that Southern Drawl going on ).

in Norn

Posted by: Mikhail.4961

Mikhail.4961

Tbh, the Anglicisation of Norse words (not to be confused with Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or Icelandic, that while being descendants of Norse, are vastly different) used in games always makes me angry. It’s the little things, the details, that make me hiss like Odaen. But, what can you do? The culture and language is considered “cool” by the West and so gets this treatment.

Truthfully though, I find the British accents of the Sylvari far more grating than anything said in Hoelbrak. Shove your violets up your-

Any class is easy to play, but not as easy to master. So sod off, warrior-haters.

in Norn

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

If you are going to use stuff from the Norse culture, at least learn the correct way of pronouncing the word.

It’s not pronounced “Yo-tun” either; the “o” has an umlaut (ö).

You should stop being picky about stupid minor things, really.

/thread

in Norn

Posted by: Odaen.1803

Odaen.1803

Hah. Should see me and the hubby when we hear some of this. We do the same thing of correcting the pronunciations ( he’s Norwegian, I’m from the Southern US…so have that Southern Drawl going on ).

We’re from Oklahoma, so I totally know those feels. But like the OP said, if this is the only complaint, then…

Actually, coming from WoW, I have a lot more complaints. But that’s another thread…

in Norn

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

also “golem” somehow became “gollum”

“go-lum” became “goll-um”

every time I hear this I hear “My Preciousssssss…”

stop it game Asura look enough like him already

(edited by Chaosky.5276)

in Norn

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I don’t personally care whether it is “Jormag” or “Yormag”, I just wish the NPCs would make up their minds and settle for one of the two.

Then again, taking a North European name like “Kalle” (Kal-le) and pronouncing it “Kale” is somewhat… poor. Breaks my immersion every time.

Both things don’t really say to me “this is how Norn pronounce things”, but rather “this is how many kittens our voice director gave”.

in Norn

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

And like Yor-Mag

or Goon Nar not Gun ar

in Norn

Posted by: Cato.5970

Cato.5970

It’s not just Norn names: is Caudecus’s daughter’s name (Demi) pronounced Demmy or d’Mee? In the same conversation there are NPCs using different pronunciations.

All names and non-English words could do with a pronunciation guide that the voice actors can draw on. Mind you, so could some English words, unless “dossil” is a valid US pronunciation of “docile”.

/nitpick

in Norn

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

What Cato said ^
+1.