Infinite Continue Coin != pay to win

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The Infinite Continue Coin does not win you the SAB.

All of us have infinite goes at the SAB to begin with; we just have to grind for them: daily jumping puzzles in PvE (and/or farm SAB world 1 for baubles to exchange).

What the Infinite Continue Coin does is

• remove the grind for extra lives outside of the SAB
  • allow players to play solely SAB this month if they choose to ignore PvE

It is, like so many others, a pure convenience item.

You still have to actually play through the entire SAB yourself, exactly like you wouldst with normal Continue Coins.

I haven’t bought it yet as I m still using up Continue Coins I keep finding in PvE, but it’s good to know that I won’t have to grind for them if/when I run out. Secondly, I’ll probably buy it to support the SAB as an idea/concept and encourage ANet to continue to allow their devs and designers to be bold and creative.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It’s pay to win , come on. How can you even disagree with this? If you compare it to normal coins you still have to get out of sab and farm them someone. And with the continue you can do it 24/7. Pretty much a win imo.
But because it’s a minigame and not gw itself I don’t mind this gemstore item one bit. Or 8 bits

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

It’s pay to win , come on. How can you even disagree with this? If you compare it to normal coins you still have to get out of sab and farm them someone. And with the continue you can do it 24/7. Pretty much a win imo.
But because it’s a minigame and not gw itself I don’t mind this gemstore item one bit. Or 8 bits

You really should look up the definition of P2W…..

Posted by: XenusTEHG.1965

XenusTEHG.1965

With all those bugs in trib mode wich consumes lives for nothing its p2w.

Then AN should make all those trib mode achievements to give 0 AP.

sorry for my poor english

(edited by XenusTEHG.1965)

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Sorry you’re being met with resistance, OP. I completely agree it’s not P2W.

Some people are having a knee jerk reaction to it it feels like. What the coin really does is not advantageous over someone who does not have it. It only saves time, which is exactly the type of item that should be in the gem store.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Stupid thread is stupid.

You dont need to spend any of your money on the gem shop to get that coin, you can do so with ingame gold.

P2Win=having to spend rl money to compete.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The infinite coin is not a pay to win item in the typical sense of P2W, however, you are basically paying to win. The coin is basically a cheat code, allowing you to make trivial errors without caring. With it, a failing player will always beat the zone as long as they don’t quit, whereas without it, they’re eventually forced to.

Posted by: Kil M.3680

Kil M.3680

After nerf daily end chest form person to acc it is P2W. First time after ~8years I see item like Infinite Coin in GW games.

Posted by: HappinessFactory.4910

HappinessFactory.4910

I agree that it’s not pay to win because you can get the coin with gold and you dont even need the coin if you farm or are good enough to manage without it.

However for the jump scrubs without enough time to farm coins it is convenient. I mean I would have had to follow the guide for TBM in order to work my way through it. AND WHERE’S THE FUN IN THAT?

But honestly, the only thing the coin saves is time.

Posted by: Kil M.3680

Kil M.3680

I agree that it’s not pay to win because you can get the coin with gold

So…when next time AN add weapons with bonus dmg to Gem Shop it is still not P2W beacuse yuu can buy it using golds? If yes AN create P2W proof game!!!

Edit. Also you forgot about one realy important thing. To buy gems by golds somone other need buy gold by gems.

(edited by Kil M.3680)

Posted by: Nighthawk.6453

Nighthawk.6453

After nerf daily end chest form person to acc it is P2W. First time after ~8years I see item like Infinite Coin in GW games.

And how does the nerf make it p2w? You can’t farm w1z1 with 8 characters? If that is your way to get baubles, then farm honeycombs. Also, nerf to dig sites hurt the farming much more than end chests.

It’s pay to win , come on. How can you even disagree with this? If you compare it to normal coins you still have to get out of sab and farm them someone. And with the continue you can do it 24/7.

You still can earn about 1k baubles only from world 1, and trade them for 20 Continue Coins = 100 lifes. Pretty much enough for those who use guides.

For those who are whining about p2w… Infinite Coin does not win you the game. It’s just a helper. You still have to do all that stuff that ones without coin do. It does not create shortcuts, or activates all checkpoints, or whatever you can call cheating. Having infinite lives itself is not a cheat, since you can do pretty much everything without dying, or with 1-2 lives.

(edited by Nighthawk.6453)

Posted by: Danigar.3795

Danigar.3795

Posted this in another thread:

If the infinite coin is pay to win simply because it allows you to complete content faster, then nearly everything on the gem store can be considered pay to win. Exp, Karma, Crafting, Glory, and WXP boosters all allow people who purchase them to complete content faster. Heck, the swim speed booster allows to complete water based content faster than other. GW2 PvE endgame is largely based around collecting skins. I can buy a number of great looking skins off the gem store, allowing me to get a better appearance faster than other players. The infinite gathering tools allow me to collect all the resources I want without having to buy more tools. Therefore I can do it faster than others. Additional bag slots allow me to keep more items in my inventory and not have to visit a vendor as often, allowing me to complete a wide variety of content faster. Bank/Merchant/TP Express items allow me to quickly access those services anywhere, allowing my to do content faster since I don’t have to go back to a city. Most of these things have been available since launch. Why are you guys just now deciding to cry about pay to win?
The coin is a convenience item. The horse is dead, please stop beating it.

Posted by: Icealen.3802

Icealen.3802

I did not need the infinite coin to play SAB, but I did buy it anyway. I like novelty items like the coin. So in my opinion, it’s not pay to win at all.

And honestly, the cost of it isn’t bank breaking like I’ve heard some people say. Just skip going to the movies for a night, pass on the McDonalds cheeseburgers for day, whatever it takes. I know I’ve spent the seven dollars or whatever it costs on way more foolish things (the cost of my monthly cell phone bill for one – now that’s outrageous). And if I still thought I couldn’t afford the seven dollars, I would probably start thinking about getting a part-time job in place of playing Guild Wars. Seriously.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You give them money, they give you infinite chances to win. Saying otherwise is like saying the konami code isn’t a cheat, but an option you enabled. It’s just SAB though so I don’t really care… but it is certainly pay to win.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Nighthawk.6453

You give them money, they give you infinite chances to win.

Exactly. Perfect formulation. They give you infinite chances to win. Not the win itself.
Pff… well, I guess you won’t be able to tell the difference anyway.

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

The coin is LITERALLY a pay to win item. You purchase the coin to have a much better chance at winning SAB.

Besides which, I really do not understand this desperate need of white knighting Arenanet with semantic tricks. Even if it’s not defined as “pay to win”, the bottom line here is that they designed content which was specifically built to be frustrating if you don’t pay, fun if you pay. How is that not a pathetic money grab?

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

You give them money, they give you infinite chances to win.

Exactly. Perfect formulation. They give you infinite chances to win. Not the win itself.
Pff… well, I guess you won’t be able to tell the difference anyway.

So how is having infinite coins not paying for a large advantage over another player that doesn’t pay for this item? Sounds pay to win to me… but I guess you won’t recognize that obvious fact anyway… Like I said saying otherwise is akin to calling the konami code “just an option.”

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Nighthawk.6453

Besides which, I really do not understand this desperate need of white knighting Arenanet with semantic tricks. Even if it’s not defined as “pay to win”, the bottom line here is that they designed content which was specifically built to be frustrating if you don’t pay, fun if you pay. How is that not a pathetic money grab?

Mhm, because I don’t understand the desperate need to say it is p2w when it is not?
The tribulation mode is frustrating no matter do you have IC or not. The zone completion, an achievement, is fun no matter do you have IC or not.

So how is having infinite coins not paying for a large advantage over another player that doesn’t pay for this item?

There’s no large advantage. I can complete any zone in worlds 1 and 2 without dying. I can complete w1z1 TM without dying. I’m in progress of figuring out the way in w1z2 TM, but I’m pretty sure it is possible in here too.

(edited by Nighthawk.6453)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Saying that the Infinite Continue Coin is p2w is like saying that the pirate outfit (town clothes) is p2w.

Because the pirate outfit allows you to do infinite costume brawl, without having to get your hands on tonics.

The fact that that doesn’t mean that you’ll actually WIN the costume brawl (or SAB…) at all doesn’t seem to matter.

:P

So then, almost every single gem store item is “pay to win” I guess? From xp booster to bouquet of roses?

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

It’s P2W because it does give you an advantage over other players.
ANet said Trib mode would be so ‘hard’ that they didn’t expect many people to have the Trib mode skins.
With the Infinite Coin you’re pretty much guaranteed those items, all you have to do is follow a guide and no matter how many times you fail you can just try again.
It’s giving you infinite lives, much like any cheat code in any other game that gives you infinite lives.
With this coin ANet have essentially taken the challenge out of Trib mode.

The people insisting it’s not P2W are probably those who have bought it and don’t like the fact that their ‘method’ of getting the achievements or skins is considered cheap or cheating. It’s may be a small-scale P2W, it’s not exactly selling ‘Epic Uber Sword of Smiting +99’ but it’s still P2W.

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

It may not be Pay to Win, but it is opportunistic.

If the game started you with 1 character slot and a bank tab with 10 slots, and then sold bank tabs at 600 gems each, it still wouldn’t be Pay to Win. But you’d have to wonder if the conditions were deliberately made so severe to encourage players to pay for quality of life items.

It’s the same thing here. Sure the content is optional. The item may not be Pay to Win. But it does affect gameplay. And that is a slippery slope.

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

>Speaking about “pay 2 win” in non-competitive aspect of the game

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

P2w, by defintion, doesn’t have to be a button which says “you win, all others lose”, as some people who are whiteknighting anet for whatever reason seem to to imply.

A significant boost that is not achievable by other means is what usually would be classified as p2w, and personally, I’d say that this is the case here.

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

P2w, by defintion, doesn’t have to be a button which says “you win, all others lose”, as some people who are whiteknighting anet for whatever reason seem to to imply.

A significant boost that is not achievable by other means is what usually would be classified as p2w, and personally, I’d say that this is the case here.

Posted by: Naglifar.1684

Naglifar.1684

its more like Pay to Play. The coin doesn’t mean your going to win. You can also play without the coin, but the degree of effort one must exert would be considered a ‘grind’ to many.

I decided on day 1 to jump directly into Tribulation Mode. I figured the coin purchase is a proper way to let Anet know ‘I really enjoy SAB—and I don’t mind paying a small fee to enjoy really awesome content’.

*You can buy the Coin with real money
*You can trade in-game gold for the gems to buy the coin
*You can collect many Continue Coins

Pay to Win would be a Coin that gave you higher jumps, or invulnerability to damage. In actuality, no mater which coin you have—you gotta land the same jumps as everyone else.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Wowzers, the hypocrisy by some of you astounds me.

You didn’t seem to have a problem that you could purchase Queens Gauntlet tickets, instead of farm them. I see a lot of you running around out there with infinite mining/salvaging tools.

Look, either way it doesn’t really matter, for two main reasons.

1. These tools don’t allow anyone to just win. You still have to go out and perform the same actions you would otherwise.

2. There is no win in GW2. I’m sorry to break it to you, but we’re not competing here. There is no race to the end of the game, no prize for levelling up first.

There is only more grind, and less grind. And honestly, I don’t care what twisted logic you use, or how “l33t” you think you are, I don’t personally feel like spending my time in GW2 grinding out continue coins. The SAB is only here a month, if I can purchase a coin that allows me more time to enjoy it, and less time grinding trash mobs, then awesome.

Posted by: OverblownEgo.8594

OverblownEgo.8594

I bought the coin, I agree it’s definitely pay to win. I can screw around at my leisure and die without a care. The worst the game can throw at me in the Super Adventure Box is throwing me back to the last check point. Before I bought it lives were a very big concern, every lost life was a major waste. Now? I can just have fun. I paid to win fun. Also tribulation mode skins. Still gotta put in the work, but there’s no risk and all reward with the coin. I’m okay with rationalizing it as being purely a fun side game where the only prizes are aesthetic. Also a bunch of achievement points.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well let me see, I spent money in the gemshop for an items that allows me to win this stupid minigame. I therefor pay to win.. Hmm.

Posted by: AnAspieKitten.5732

AnAspieKitten.5732

It may not be Pay to Win, but it is opportunistic.

If the game started you with 1 character slot and a bank tab with 10 slots, and then sold bank tabs at 600 gems each, it still wouldn’t be Pay to Win. But you’d have to wonder if the conditions were deliberately made so severe to encourage players to pay for quality of life items.

It’s the same thing here. Sure the content is optional. The item may not be Pay to Win. But it does affect gameplay. And that is a slippery slope.

^this. I bought the coin and still think like that, I paid for an easy TM. Not that I coudln’t complete it without it, but it would just takes too much time tryharding to not die (as I do not follow guides since it’s absolutely no fun). With the IC I do enjoy some parts of TM, mainly the second times I do the zones. The problem is here, imo, I paid to have fun, otherwise I would just miss 3/4 of the event.

Dear Santa,
For christmas I’d like to get a crossbow for my characters.
With love, a cute kitty.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Its like a action replay.

Like pokemon with an action replay you can be a guy with a full trained team and a shiny, but some person can have a full hacked moved hacked everything team all shiny. While one doesnt seem as legit as the other, gamefreak doesnt care.

Posted by: Guffi.8246

Guffi.8246

wow didnt know the coin is doing the jumps for me o.O

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

Well let me see, I spent money in the gemshop for an items that allows me to win this stupid minigame. I therefor pay to win.. Hmm.

Nope, definitely not.
It doesn’t allows you to win, you can win anytime. It just allows you to skip the phase of bauble farming for continue coins. And that’s only a matter of time, not of losing or winning.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s not real P2W, but your are being “pointed” towards the cash shop.

As I’m sure we will see many more parts of this game end up.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Without guides it would be next to impossible to complete tribulation mode using coins earned from the game. Normal/Infantile mode does not need the coin at all.

So yes it is pay to win, but considering nothing is earned from completing SAB tribulation mode that gives you an advantage I am sort of okay with the coin.

It is pushing the boundary of what is acceptable though, that said I did get one myself.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Anyone have that “Oh this thread again” picture?

Posted by: tanto.4217

tanto.4217

p2w would be if you had to PAY to use the infantile mode, and if you could get ALL achievements through the infantile mode.
but the coin is just a convenient item, like so many other says it just saves time…

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Hmm…I’ll have to agree with the topic creator on this one. While the coin does pretty much nullify having to get extra lives, you can still do without it.

That being said, due to the temporary nature of the content, the potential tediousness of grinding baubles for extra lives, and that it apparently reduces Tribulation Mode to an exercise of just killing yourself over and over to find the traps and then avoid them, it isn’t hard to see why some consider it “pay-to-win”, even though you still have to put effort into winning. It just removes the severity of the consequences of dying over and over.

The timing of it appearing with Tribulation Mode just adds fuel to the fire in that regard.

Posted by: XenusTEHG.1965

XenusTEHG.1965

If infinite coin is not p2w, then why sab even has lives system?
If you spent all of your lives in the middle of a trib mode level you have to NOT ONLY farm them back, but also start all over again.

Btw life loosing causes stress and anger to player every next jump must be done more accurate.
With Infinite coin you just repeating and dieing at something until its done. You can explore every corner of trib mode without any fear of having to restart the level and farm and gamble at jp’s all day again.

But however I think trib mode must have infinite lifes, because it explores through deaths. And also AN dont fixing bugs wich kills you.

sorry for my poor english

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

You do have good points there. It still doesn’t quite make the coin “Pay to win”, but I understand where you’re coming from on this.

Honestly, I think the infinite continue coin shouldn’t exist. It nullifies the regular continue coins and only works with this temporary content. I see no reason to use gems (from gold or real-life money) on something that will only work for temporary content.

It’s like the Royal Pass for that VIP section during the Queen’s Jubilee, except the coin actually is useful and the Royal Pass wasn’t.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I can’t believe people are even trying to say that the infinite coin is pay to win

I have done whole World 1, and the first zone in World 2 on Tribulation mode. I don’t even have an infinite coin, I don’t even need it. It’s so kitten easy to get normal continue coins.

(edited by Farzo.8410)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

5 years ago this would have been so obviously P2W that the game would have lost 90% of its playerbase and had to shut down.

Today as we can see no one cares. People like spending money to unlock things and make things easier, they will rationalize anything you can throw at them. If they added a weapon in the gem shop that instant killed every boss in the game people would just say “oh it’s not P2W, you can beat the bosses without it” or “what are you winning noob?”

Everyone knows it is P2W but no one will come out and say it, they will just continuously change their definition of P2W until they can rationalize the fact that they bought it.

Nighthawk.6453

If they added a weapon in the gem shop that instant killed every boss in the game people would just say “oh it’s not P2W, you can beat the bosses without it” or “what are you winning noob?”

Does the Infinite Coin TP you to the last boss? No, it does not. If take your analogy with dungeon boss, it removes the necessity to run throw thrash mobs if you die.

Posted by: OnlyFate.8549

OnlyFate.8549

If the coins are able to sell in TP, I believe people will have be happy and no one will put that stupid “P2W” theory out. I was considering this infinite coin P2W but actually its not. If coins/baubles are allowed to trade, some players will farm coins and others will buy a lot in order to clear those hard modes. This example was not so different for infinite coin in BLTP. Anet simply acted as the exclusive seller of coins. Now players can buy infinite coin directly from Anet with a huge fee (and you can even choose either in real money or 30+ gold). If you believe it worth, you can feel free to spend your money or gold for the coin. If not, you can still farm bauble/coins by yourself.

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

And yet, this item that isn’t pay to win- everyone so far who’s said they’ve beaten TM has had it.

The item saves you dozens of hours farming- which for your average player means they’ll be farming for the first three weeks in order to save up enough to give TM a good run.

Posted by: Lianu.1390

Lianu.1390

5 years ago this would have been so obviously P2W that the game would have lost 90% of its playerbase and had to shut down.

Five years ago there was real “P2W” in Guild Wars. People who wanted to trick out their PvP characters but didn’t want to or couldn’t kill boss mobs in order to unlock elite skills could pay $10 to unlock ALL skills in the PvP side of the game, per campaign/expansion. Otherwise, you had to play a PvE character, complete all the maps, and actually succeed at killing the elite monsters in order to get an otherwise unobtainable skill. In Guild Wars, if you died you would also take a dramatic hit to your HP and “energy,” making you weaker each death, so you couldn’t “fail your way” towards killing an elite for the skill. The pet unlock option was almost the same way except that you actually had to tame the elite pets and couldn’t outright buy them, although elite pets were aesthetic and had no functional bonus.

The continue coin saves time and allows people to do stupid stuff, but it doesn’t guarantee anyone elite items or skins. You still have to collect baubles, buy upgrades, and beat the bosses in order to get skins, skills, and anything else. Neither version of the continue coin comes with a free torch to unlock an area in World 2, nor do either version of the continue coins give you any of the other upgrades which give you a tactical advantage in playing the game (e.g. sling shot for shooting alligators and toads from a distance).

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

And yet, this item that isn’t pay to win- everyone so far who’s said they’ve beaten TM has had it.

The item saves you dozens of hours farming- which for your average player means they’ll be farming for the first three weeks in order to save up enough to give TM a good run.

So basically, you are saying that people who beat it faster than others must have had some kind of pay to win item?

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

Judging by the responses a lot of people in this thread have not played any pay to win games. This is not pay to win this is pay for convenience.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Five years ago there was real “P2W” in Guild Wars. People who wanted to trick out their PvP characters but didn’t want to or couldn’t kill boss mobs in order to unlock elite skills could pay $10 to unlock ALL skills in the PvP side of the game, per campaign/expansion. Otherwise, you had to play a PvE character, complete all the maps, and actually succeed at killing the elite monsters in order to get an otherwise unobtainable skill. In Guild Wars, if you died you would also take a dramatic hit to your HP and “energy,” making you weaker each death, so you couldn’t “fail your way” towards killing an elite for the skill. The pet unlock option was almost the same way except that you actually had to tame the elite pets and couldn’t outright buy them, although elite pets were aesthetic and had no functional bonus.

The continue coin saves time and allows people to do stupid stuff, but it doesn’t guarantee anyone elite items or skins. You still have to collect baubles, buy upgrades, and beat the bosses in order to get skins, skills, and anything else. Neither version of the continue coin comes with a free torch to unlock an area in World 2, nor do either version of the continue coins give you any of the other upgrades which give you a tactical advantage in playing the game (e.g. sling shot for shooting alligators and toads from a distance).

I agree with everything except the bit about pets in GW1. Because the only difference between pets in that game was their look and minor changes in attack type (some did slashing, other piercing) it really didn’t matter how many you had unlocked. Especially in PvP where you got a free level 20 elder wolf just by equipping a pet skill.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: OnlyFate.8549

OnlyFate.8549

So basically, you are saying that people who beat it faster than others must have had some kind of pay to win item?

Do you gain more reward if you finish it faster? You do not WIN others by finishing it faster. Also, for those who grinded lots of coins in previous SAB event can do the same.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

I converted 30g, completely earned in-game through the Scarlet Invasions (normal play and NOT FAIL FARMING), to Gems and purchased the Infinite Continue Coin. Not a single dollar shed from my pocket, yet I was still able to obtain this “Pay 2 Win” item. Curious how, if it’s truly “P2W” that it’s obtainable in-game?

P.S. Didn’t use it at all until I started Tribulation mode as the 5 coins Moto sent me -in addition to the 7 banked ones from April- were more than sufficient to do W1 & W2 in Normal mode.