Isn't it rather sad....

Isn't it rather sad....

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Saw this on a post in another thread and felt it deserved it’s own discussion.

Isn’t it rather sad that the most popular feature of GW2, is a mini-game that has nothing to do with GW2?

Kind of puts things into perspective if you think about it. People are more interested in a Mario style game instead of the actual game. Just seems rather bad that out of all the Living Story stuff we have received, a mini game that is not really GW2 at all is the most popular of them all.

Just makes you feel this game is doing something wrong if people are more excited about an 8bit Mario game instead of the actual GW2 game.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Namica.2951

Namica.2951

Isn’t it rather sad that the most popular feature of GW2, is a mini-game that has nothing to do with GW2?

Kind of puts things into perspective if you think about it. People are more interested in a Mario style game instead of the actual game. Just seems rather bad that out of all the Living Story stuff we have received, a mini game that is not really GW2 at all is the most popular of them all.

Just makes you feel this game is doing something wrong if people are more excited about an 8bit Mario game instead of the actual GW2 game.

It’s something fun. Nothing wrong with that.

I myself would prefer some meaningful story content for once. But This is better than more Scarlet the Sue.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

To the OP, I don’t think we should see it that way. What SAB is, is variation. It’s something entirely different, with it’s own charm and game play. Not every successful mini game is an indication that the overall game is lacking. It is only an indication that it is a good mini game.

I personally find the writing for the Living Story a bit sub par. I can enjoy the content, but something like SAB does not rely on any writing at all. It just relies on fun factor, and nostalgia/references. That makes it just a lot more enjoyable to me, since I’m not bothered by cliches, flat characters and predictable plot lines.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Isn't it rather sad....

SpyderArachnid.5619

It’s something fun. Nothing wrong with that.

I myself would prefer some meaningful story content for once. But This is better than more Scarlet the Sue.

I get that to some, it is fun. I understand that.

But I still find it rather bad that content that is not GW2 related and was an April Fool’s joke, is more sought after than actual content to the GW2 world and story.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Acerola.6407

Acerola.6407

I don’t know and care if that is sad.

But would you please stop the contradiction? SAB is no minigame, especially if you refer to it as a “Mario style game”. It’s a game in a game called GW2, because a small team wanted to do it and is allowed to do it in a great company that is Arenanet (in this regard). It’s not as if it doesn’t fit at all, because a interactive zone for asuras so they can learn … doesn’t sound that off.

Yes, I want to see the hardcore content dungeon revamp raids elder dragons, too, but I don’t mind the existence of a great addition that SAB is. Funny thing is that SAB is (going to be) more “hardcore” than most of the dungeons; not only because of the hard mode … THAT is sad, but is the consequence we get considering anet ignoring a big part of their playerbase.

We get dungeon revamps through Living Story, so we have to wait. We have to wait until Anet wakes up from this horrible, horrible dream. If early 2014 sucks, then it’s the end.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I think Mad Queen Malafide nailed it on on the head.

It isn’t that SAB is better/more sought after than regular GW2 content… It is just content that very different than regular GW2 content, and therefore a nice change of pace.

Isn't it rather sad....

SpyderArachnid.5619

It isn’t that SAB is better/more sought after than regular GW2 content… It is just content that very different than regular GW2 content, and therefore a nice change of pace.

But if we want content that is different from what GW2 is, then why not play a different game? Why bring that content that is not GW2, into GW2?

It’s like saying it would be a nice change if GW2 introduced an army first person shooter mini game. It has nothing to do with GW2, but they should add it any ways.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me. If I want a change of pace, I’ll go play a different game. I don’t need to bring Mario or CoD or anything else like that into GW2 just to enjoy GW2. GW2 should be GW2.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Part of the SAB’s appeal is it’s unique juxtaposition to the rest of the content. If it were it’s own release on steam, i’m sure no one would give it a second glance but in the context of a semi-serious, modern MMO, it’s inclusion ends up being particularly novel and innovative for just how much it stands out.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

But if we want content that is different from what GW2 is, then why not play a different game? Why bring that content that is not GW2, into GW2?

It’s like saying it would be a nice change if GW2 introduced an army first person shooter mini game. It has nothing to do with GW2, but they should add it any ways.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me. If I want a change of pace, I’ll go play a different game. I don’t need to bring Mario or CoD or anything else like that into GW2 just to enjoy GW2. GW2 should be GW2.

Ahhh see but i I could play COD and or Mario and progress in GW2 that would be epic. So the ability to “play a different game” that is filled with nostalgia inspiring references and progress in GW2 is awesome.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

You’re entitled to your own opinion, man.

People play it because it amuses them and that’s it. No one’s gonna force you to play it if you don’t want to, but I’m almost certain that you’ll do it anyway.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Also, as for it’s desire. It has the benefit of being limited time recurring content. I honestly feel it wouldn’t be nearly as sought after if that weren’t the case. If it had never been shut down since April it would just be that thing in Rata Sum that was cool for a while, but now it’s dumb.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Anet needs to play some decent console games and learn how to present their story better. The techniques are interchangeable.

Isn't it rather sad....

panzer.6034

Anet needs to play some decent console games and learn how to present their story better. The techniques are interchangeable.

I hear that SWOR has the best story telling of any MMO ever made precisely because it was high end and done very much like single player rpgs. The big downfall there is that it takes a ton of time to put out high end content like that and you lose your playerbase by the time more of your high end content is ready for release. Anet has said that they arrived at their 2 week schedule because the data showed that that is how long it takes for interest to drop off and for people to start logging in less. If the content was done in the manner of high end, single player console games, they’d lose people like crazy as they waited months for new stuff.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

SAB is a joke and it still is. The “teaching how to become an adventurer” idea behind it is laughable since everything in SAB has nothing to do with adventuring in Tyria. It was meant to be a joke and it was a very good joke that I would like to relive it again.

It is an Asuran style virtual reality, that is 100% GW2 related.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

What’s sad is that you made this post in your perspective of what you opinionate what related to Guild Wars 2.

To bring into the light the not-so-obvious, GW2 is about a mixture of anything and everything. It’s never one thing, but always something. The gameplay isn’t always going to be 100% about what your individual character class can do, but what you as a skilled individual can do as a character in the situation presented.

What am I rambling about? Environmental weapons is just a single thing to show that class is of no matter. However how about looking at all the many games that have been introduced into the game via events, updates, and the like. Each of these “mini-games” are really just extensions of the player’s skill in a different environment.

The Karka Queen boss is also one where you look less at a player’s direct damage, but instead on whether or not they’re attentive to the eggs needed to ‘break the shell’ of the giant beast. Scarlet’s Playhouse, the ending fight, is also the same thing where it’s about moving and dodging more than just the damage (though damage does play a part when she’s vulnerable).

The Super Adventure Box is a pull for many of the skill aspects of Guild Wars 2 intertwined with it’s own mechanics. The Frog King fight is about movement and dodging; the acid sections about jumping; and most all the enemies within are about timed avoidance of their abilities. Just because health-pools and gear is changed doesn’t mean it’s unrelated to GW2. Quite the opposite, actually.

Wake up and smell the virtual roses.
What? No smell?
Where’s Moto?
I’m going to have his hide if he doesn’t get to programming smell right this moment!

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

No it’s not sad, it’s fun!

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

The actual GW2 is a farmfest.

People do it for gold and profit, not for fun.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I think a big part of it being sought after is the fact that’s totally different from the rest of the updates, but not enough to be something out of place.

From a gameplay perspective, as the user above me pointed out, it’s not really different from the core of GW2. There’s loads of jumping and platforming (JP), dodging, fighting enemies and bosses, exploring and finding secrets, playing solo or with friends no matter their level or class.

Also worth nothing that the SAB updates have been the most kind and dare I say, honest with the playerbase regarding shinies. No RNG skins or minis, every weapon available in the game with no insane grind, and a cheap pack of 3 GUARANTEED minis. And from the looks of the release page, the next one will keep the same philosophy!

P.s. I’m just as excited for the “Bloodlust in the borderlands” change and the dungeons/fractals changes. Who said that people are interested in the SAB rather then the rest of the game? I enjoy both.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

SAB is my favorite single piece of content.

That doesn’t mean its better than all of GW2, though. Its better than any single dungeon, single zone, any other single Living Story segment, ect. Not better than the whole entire game.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Kind of puts things into perspective if you think about it. People are more interested in a Mario style game instead of the actual game.

Kind of puts things into perspective when you realize you’re playing the exact same GW2 you always play except the environment is in 8-bit style.

Kind of puts things into perspective when you realize SAB is just a dungeon with a different skill set and skins.

Kind of puts things into perspective when you realize you’re still playing the same game you paid $60 for.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Zerroth.2401

Zerroth.2401

Its kinda sad how people QQ about everything in this game, when this game is one of the better MMOs out there…..

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

Army FPS would be overkill. It could just be a SWAT commando in full riot gear. They should absolutely add that to GW2.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

What kind of mentality is this?

SAB is a minigame like no other. It gives players something else to do and to look forward. It doesn’t mean the original game is kitten. It’s just something that is different and something players are excited for.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

What kind of mentality is this?

SAB is a minigame like no other. It gives players something else to do and to look forward. It doesn’t mean the original game is kitten. It’s just something that is different and something players are excited for.

Exactly. I love GW2 and I love SAB even more. I think the devs are extremely talented to have created a game within their game that is not only as fun as the actual game, but something most players (that I know, at least) would rather play instead of GW2.

That’s not to say they don’t love GW2 – they just LOVE Super Adventure Box.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Grumwulf.9602

Grumwulf.9602

I think GW2 is a really innovative MMO but I don’t think it is a very good fanstasy RPG. The fantasy RPG is very light, not at all as epic as it seemed it would be and no where near as immersive. The MMO aspect however is right there in your face and getting stronger with each update, dailies, farming, legendaries with no stories, mini games galore, new tiers of gear, new tokens to collect, new minis….it’s an MMO fans dream. I think there are loads of people who have come to love the trappings of MMOs. I think a lot of these don’t really care about fantasy or about RPGs, they just love the virtual values and mouse wheels of an MMO. I think this is fine. But I thought GW2 was going to be a really good fantasy RPG and I am disappointed and I am becoming rather tired of the game.

(edited by Grumwulf.9602)

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

haha i don’t care if it’s sad, this patch is the only reason i’m coming back to GW2 after a few weeks off. WOOooooooooOOooooooooooo SUPER ADVENTURE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOoOOOooOOooOOX \o/ !!!!!!!!!

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

I totally agree with the poster of this thread.

Isn't it rather sad....

panzer.6034

I think a lot of these don’t really care about fantasy or about RPGs, they just love the virtual values and mouse wheels of an MMO. I think this is fine. But I thought GW2 was going to be a really good fantasy RPG and I am disappointed and I am becoming rather tired of the game.

Spoiler: Video games aren’t ever “real” rpgs, even when they’re given that misnomer.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: MrZero.4730

MrZero.4730

As long as it uses the mechanics of the game, isn’t it part of it? I like to think of it this way. I did not play the SAB in April and was quite sad that I missed it. The music was awesome!

Glassheart – Human Thief

Aurora Glade server

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I hear that SWOR has the best story telling of any MMO ever made precisely because it was high end and done very much like single player rpgs. The big downfall there is that it takes a ton of time to put out high end content like that and you lose your playerbase by the time more of your high end content is ready for release. Anet has said that they arrived at their 2 week schedule because the data showed that that is how long it takes for interest to drop off and for people to start logging in less. If the content was done in the manner of high end, single player console games, they’d lose people like crazy as they waited months for new stuff.

What you say may very well be true but I feel continuously pumping out sub-par mediocre level content every 2 weeks is a temporary solution at best. Eventually, it’s going to take it’s toll and the same decline will happen. They need to have a balance between quality and speed which they really don’t right now and I always say this, they’re just using borrowed time and it’s all going to go down hill if they don’t fix something soon.

Besides isn’t that how traditional MMOs ran anyways, most mmos didn’t pump content out every month or even every 2 months. Expansions were release once every year if you’re lucky. Playerbase shouldn’t be determined by future content, but that current content is SOLID and that players enjoy and continue to enjoy playing it. And this doesn’t mean end game grinding gear for years is the answer.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Isn't it rather sad....

panzer.6034

Besides isn’t that how traditional MMOs ran anyways, most mmos didn’t pump content out every month or even every 2 months. Expansions were release once every year if you’re lucky. Playerbase shouldn’t be determined by future content, but that current content is SOLID and that players enjoy and continue to enjoy playing it. And this doesn’t mean end game grinding gear for years is the answer.

They definitely need more solid content, i just don’t think relying on console-style story telling is the way to go. It would cost too much to do it right, ala Mass Effect, and players would chew through it too fast. Challenging, interesting and repeatable gameplay is the avenue to look down, IMO.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

If it was possible would you eat pizza every. Single. Day. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner and any snack in between? Wouldn’t you get tired of it? Wouldn’t it just grate on you after awhile?

So no, I do not think it is sad that people are getting all excited about SAB coming back. It is a nice… reprieve, from the norm. Of fighting the same mobs, of zerging the same events, of farming the same dungeons, of fighting the constant tug-of-war of WvW, of fighting on the same maps of s/tpvp.

Yes, this is a nice reprieve nothing more, nothing less. So no, it’s not sad that people are excited about SAB’s return. Of fighting the next installment of the game. Of getting the rest of the SAB weapon skins. Of fighting new mobs and harder difficulties. Yes, SAB coming back is a good thing. I can’t wait.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I hear that SWOR has the best story telling of any MMO ever made precisely because it was high end and done very much like single player rpgs. The big downfall there is that it takes a ton of time to put out high end content like that and you lose your playerbase by the time more of your high end content is ready for release…

-snip-

SWTOR’s storyline was very well done, but once you finished the personal story (or whatever they called it), I don’t remember there being any emphasis on story continuity. IIRC, the content updates had back stories, but other than all being tied into the ongoing war, I don’t recall them tying updates together into a cohesive whole.

In any case, I think ANet is learning as they go, as would anyone. They’ve been trying new ways of presenting the story with each update, and it has been getting better. Once they start fleshing out their characters more, I think they’ll find their golden formula rather quickly.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Berethor.6142

Berethor.6142

The only thing I find sad is how every single new content patch that has been released in the last 2 months is met by dozens of cry threads. I like the super adventure box, I have been waiting for them to bring it back since they got rid of it. If you don’t like it then don’t play it, 14 days after release there will be something else that you may like that I don’t, how about acting like an adult instead of that five year old in the cereal isle screaming because mommy won’t buy him his favorite sugar rush.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Pacifica.9576

Pacifica.9576

The only thing I find sad is how every single new content patch that has been released in the last 2 months is met by dozens of cry threads. I like the super adventure box, I have been waiting for them to bring it back since they got rid of it. If you don’t like it then don’t play it, 14 days after release there will be something else that you may like that I don’t, how about acting like an adult instead of that five year old in the cereal isle screaming because mommy won’t buy him his favorite sugar rush.

His post says that it’s sad that SAB is the BEST living world release. This would imply SAB is good, and that it doesnt make sense that side content such as it, should be the best. Thus it’s a criticism of OTHER content.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: moronwmachinegun.3815

moronwmachinegun.3815

Army FPS would be overkill. It could just be a SWAT commando in full riot gear. They should absolutely add that to GW2.

Hmm…

Logan Thackeray’s QUEEN’S COMMANDOS

!

Quaggan is not a bad calf. Quaggan is a good little calf.

Isn't it rather sad....

SpyderArachnid.5619

Calm down and relax friend. There was no crying at all in that post. No reason for insults. It makes you seem more like a child when you throw insults at people without understanding what the discussion was about in the first place.

Read first, then reply.

I simply said it seemed rather sad (not the players are sad), that the most popular content that everyone is looking forward to, is not even about GW2. Just felt that it kind of gives a negative impression on GW2 as a whole, when your players are more excited to play an 8bit Mario style mini-game instead of the actual game itself.

And as I said before, but I guess no one saw it since they keep saying the same thing over and over (ex: “it’s a nice change of pace”), why do we need something that isn’t GW2 inside GW2 just to have a change of pace? If you want a change of pace, play another game. Don’t bring other games into GW2. Keep GW2 as GW2. Otherwise you ruin what the atmosphere of what was GW2 by trying to please everyone, by bringing their favorite game into GW2 (ex: Mario, CoD, etc). Next thing we know the Charr are going to build race cars and give us a racing track to appease the Need for Speed crowd.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Ayadori.6304

Ayadori.6304

This is the first LS content I will skip in its entirety. Didnt join a high fantasy game to experience a convulted trip down the 80s memory lane.

But guess to each his own.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m curious to know how the OP came to the conclusion that SAB is the most popular thing about GW2. Speculative observation and personal opinion do not count as “reasons” anyone but yourself will accept.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

Next thing we know the Charr are going to build race cars and give us a racing track to appease the Need for Speed crowd.

Again, overkill. You don’t need race cars, just aerodynamic beetles with awesome paint jobs.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Sushihammer.4813

Sushihammer.4813

I seem to remember something April Foolsy.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/KT29-Moahawk

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Keep GW2 as GW2. Otherwise you ruin what the atmosphere of what was GW2 by trying to please everyone, by bringing their favorite game into GW2 (ex: Mario, CoD, etc). Next thing we know the Charr are going to build race cars and give us a racing track to appease the Need for Speed crowd.

We had rollerbeetle races in GW1. I don’t think it ruins the immersion of the game, when the devs occasionally take a detour into other genres. Whether it is a retro platformer, a racing game, or even an FPS. I think nothing should be off limits. If it adds something new and fun to the game, and is still in the spirit of Guild Wars, then it’s fair game.

Of course I understand your argument that you still want Guild Wars to be Guild Wars. Having all these wacky mini games, makes the game feel less like a cohesive whole, and more like just a random assortment of what ever the devs could think of. In this regard, I think a lot of the Living Story updates have been too frequent. I’d rather have larger pauses in between such updates, and have the updates themselves be larger in scale (along with some actual plot development, because currently the main plot is on hiatus).

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

I believe the word sad should be replaced with “ironic.” Some people may have taken this thread to be a complaint about SAB. It definitely was not. For me the OP’s observation is rather interesting. As I recall, Paul Belz created SAB as a side project on his own time whereas the Living Story has dedicated teams especially created to produce Living Story content. In that sense it is ironic that (for some players) SAB is more popular than the LS events we’ve been getting.

Isn't it rather sad....

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I honestly think it isn’t.

The unique strength of GW2 (when compared to other MMOs) is its diversity. It offers so, so many different things to do in the base game already, and with the Living Story concept, every month feels a little different and offers even more different things to do.

Some people love large-scale farming zergs, and they got their way in August; some people love platforming, and they get their way in September.

And it’s not like the majority of the population will keep playing SAB every day for the rest of GW2’s days… in April, most of my friends who loved the SAB very much, said that after a full month they were sort of glad that it went away. 4 weeks was really enough at a time. I felt the same! Now in September, It will be a nice distraction from the daily routine of “dailies – boss fights – crystal infusion”, and after a month we will look forward to something completely different.

So no, I don’t find that sad or worrying at all.