No change to Rodgort?

No change to Rodgort?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: JaxomNC.5381

JaxomNC.5381

Hi,
I’ve just read the preview guide for the upcoming update on Dulfy and she mentions near the end:

No change to Twilight/Sunrise/Flameseeker Prophecies/Rodgort – we felt they were awesome already.

I must admit that I am surprised that you did bother modifying Eternity, Bifrost or Meteorologicus as they were already very noticeable in-game and did not do any change on the so-called legendary torch.

I happen to wield Rodgort on my Guardian and I must say I am disappointed since I put it on for the first time. Let’s take a look at it in details :

!https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oHsZ93ea704/UiEVGXl7qcI/AAAAAAAABwg/NUZr6Va8Yw0/w524-h679-no/firearm+effect.jpg!

When carrying it, only your left forearm is on fire and this can be easily missed for example when Aegis is up as the aegis shield is much bigger and noticeable than the fire effect. It’s not like, for example, my guild master is carrying the Predator; when this happens even his a*** is on fire (he is a Charr and there is fire on his tail).

!https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E7VRKButVnA/UiEVG2ExkQI/AAAAAAAABws/Ue6GmSY2iBg/w342-h400-no/footprint.jpg!

The footprint is very NOT noticeable at all. There are only small spots of flames on the ground; they have very small radius compared to footprints of other weapons and they only stay 1-2 meters behind you… the torch is definitely not in the same category of the primary hand and two-hands weapons. When walking next to someone carrying Moot, Twilight, Sunrise, Bifrost, etc you will notice their footsteps but you will barely see the ones from Rodgort.

Now talking about graphical changes on the Guardian torch skills:

!https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u5_U7tItGMw/UiEVHEhp4KI/AAAAAAAABw4/6XfWk8KJr18/w649-h364-no/zealot%2527s+flame.jpg[/img]
!https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LmpsVG1vTNg/UiEVGdbzpFI/AAAAAAAABww/VUp8bEYqZqI/w623-h620-no/cleansing+flame.jpg!

There are absolutely no change at all on Zealot’s flame and Cleansing flames; those skills remains EXACTLY the same than when wielding another torch. We get the exact same skill effect, there are no changes in the flame coloration or other additional effects.

!https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QS0sDv82fh8/UiEVGIwm-8I/AAAAAAAABwc/8yfIuTC5pck/w795-h622-no/Zealot%2527s+fire.jpg!

The only Guardian skill impacted by Rodgort is Zealot’s fire, except that the skill effect is much better on regular torches than when using Rodgort. Instead of a big blue ball of inferno fire, we now get an almost invisible slim red arrow trait and it looks like (when viewed from front) that our character is simply throwing away a regular torch (ie: like when the dark part of the WvW eternal battefield jumping puzzle). This is definitely NOT legendary at all.

Other considerations :

- the torch is of medium size ; there are much larger torches in game. As a matter of fact, my previous torch was a Kodan torch from the Honor of the Waves and it was much longer (this can be seen in the Zealot’s flame screenshot).

- there is little to no sound at all that are specific to this torch. Sure it’s not the Howler but I was expecting, I dunno.. a faint dragon shout sound when putting it on/off or when blowing Cleansing flames for example.

EDIT – in the original text, I had inverted the names of the skills Zealot’s flame and Zealot’s fire by mistake.

(edited by JaxomNC.5381)

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

I have to say I am extremely disappointed with this. Us minority got shafted as the minority has rodgort. All those points the OP posted about the effects are valid and I concur. Heck my non legendary cobalt gives off a brighter light than my supposedly ‘legendary’ torch which people always ask “which focus is that / which horn is that”

One of the main reasons I was looking forward to checking out the patch is now void. Thanks anet.

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I thought they said they were making minor flashiness changes to all of them?

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

not sure why you threw eternity in there. It needed something to distinguish it from the other 2.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

When carrying it, only your left forearm is on fire and this can be easily missed for example when Aegis is up as the aegis shield is much bigger and noticeable than the fire effect.

To be fair this is an issue with guardians more than the concept of having your left arm on fire. It’s even worse with shields. At least with a torch or focus the Aegis effect itself can look decent… not so much the shield-ception effect from Aegis and to some extent Retaliation. If you’re lucky it’s at least a shield on your shield rather than in your shield. Pity you can’t sling that floaty Aegis icon over your back…

There’s a lot of good shield skins I wanted for my guardian, too. Nope.

Maybe if I ever get bored and open a 9th slot I’ll get a second warrior.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

At least yours got mentioned. Not a single word on the predator in that article, one way or the other

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Anzu.5702

Anzu.5702

At least yours got mentioned. Not a single word on the predator in that article, one way or the other

Yeah they should have at least mentioned it.. At the very least I guess predator has received enchantments in the past. They should have just done something to all legendaries to make them on par to each other.

They made the recipes pretty much the same they should made them all have effects of a similar category (footprints, attack animation, aura etc and then make these effects weapon specific)

Xarvacious: Guardian | Xarvo: Engineer | Achiles Augustus: Warrior
[HIRE]
TC

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Some day, elementalist will be able to use torches (how else would you be able to create Obsidian Flame?), I hope by then they review its case.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: InSta.7409

InSta.7409

I couldn’t agree more. When she said, “I don’t think Rodgort got any upgrade” I was extremely disappointed. That doesn’t mean she could be mistaken (I’m holding out hope). The fact is, its similar to the Juggernaut or the Moot in terms of footprints. It’s sad that people can do skills and generate more flame trails then someone wielding a legendary TORCH. And skill 5, (breathing fire animation) should be unique. It shouldn’t be like every torch in the game. Other than those 2 things, the overall look of Rodgort is awesome and shouldn’t be changed.

It would be awesome if they did an animation like the Kamohoali’i Kotaki (the shark spear legendary) does when a shark comes out when using a skill, if rodgort a dragon came out and breathe’d the fire instead you breathe a blue flame like every other torch in the game

In all honesty I was just hoping the footprints would get an upgrade so it could at least be seen and noticeable like the others.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Juan.4569

Juan.4569

Atleast the Guardians get something out of rodgort, Us mesmers dont get any different animation from it, How about Letting us vanish in a Dragon Flame when we use the 4th skill?

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

On top of that, even footprints and arm effect are totally identical to Incinerator. That’s just lazy. They need to be differentiated.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

They also say that the bifrost has updated footfall effects and textures but it looks the same in the developer video.
Some legendaries had good updates, but many left unchanged sadly.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Too bad. I don’t know how Flameseeker Prophecies is “fine as is” compared to the other legendaries. It just doesn’t seem legendary to me, as you’re rarely if ever going to notice the subtle page turning while you’re in combat. On an Asura -_-.

Oh well, I was hoping it would get updated to something I like but I guess I’ll just wait for the next legendary shield.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

I’m truly surprised they didn’t make any changed to Rodgort. Compared to the other legendary all its effects are low grade. Its model is great and it looks cool how it shoots out fire when you draw it, but other than that it’s subpar.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

Maybe they were trying to send a message that torch is bad on a guardian by not updating it.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Nev.5316

Nev.5316

Hope to see some updates to the legendary, it’s one of the legendary which has sub par effects compared to other legendaries. It definitely needed update more than the bitfrost and moot so i hope they update the effect of the rodgort soon.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I did a ranger just so I could have some use for it playing sw/horn sw/torch combo and I don’t regret it. I love dragons and I feel friggin’ AWESOME!!! I wanted it so badly I created an entire new character with a specific outfit to suit the torch. You don’t want it? Tough luck. Next time do something you like instead of crafting an uncommon legendary thinking you’ll be considered cool for it. Read the wiki and watch a video before making it, as I did.
unless you were one of the guys who rushed their legendary to be the “first one at making Howler! Minstrel! Whatever!” If this is the case, lol.
P.S. obal is probably right.
E: Here. I came out. /rollseyes – next time I’ll just agree with everyone else and say it desperately needs upgrades and anet is evil in not doing so.

Attachments:

(edited by deSade.9437)

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

>not attaching images to the post

No change to Rodgort?

deSade.9437

>not attaching images to the post

Do I have to?

No change to Rodgort?

JaxomNC.5381

Blablabla

I have no idea what you are talking about. I did the torch because the torch is one of my main weapon (like the scepter but I definitly do not like Meteorologicus). The skin is nice but so are other non-legendary torches.

And for your information, they did retouched some of the legendary (like the footprint-less Eternity) or the non-noticeable/hardly noticeable Howler or Minstrel because some people complained about them being lacklusters. Rodgort is nice… but let’s face it, its a lackluster too, unfortunatly… So I complain about it.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

Agree. Rodgort is nice torch, but nowhere near a legendary status. But I’m still making one

No change to Rodgort?

deSade.9437

People spend 800g for a torch and then whine about it because it’s lackluster.
Well, this is so dumb my brain can’t understand it, I’m outta here.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Archangelus.8671

Archangelus.8671

For comparison, here’s Frostfang’s projectile effect on a Necromancer: http://i.imgur.com/HqEZLwO.jpg

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

People spend 800g for a torch and then whine about it because it’s lackluster.
Well, this is so dumb my brain can’t understand it, I’m outta here.

Hey wait – it’s a drop, I didn’t bought it! And like with every single precursor that dropped to me, I’m gonna make it sooner or later XD

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

I agree give it more flash.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Well isn’t this conflicting information.

During the Live Stream on Friday, they said that every Legendary got a touch up or so. Perhaps Dulfy doesn’t have all the information?

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

No change to Rodgort?

JaxomNC.5381

The Juggernaut, Bolt, Incinerator, and Rodgort now have larger footfall effects.

I fail to see any difference with before:
- the trail is as short as before.
- the footstep radius is as small as before
- the flame height is as low as before.

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

The Juggernaut, Bolt, Incinerator, and Rodgort now have larger footfall effects.

I fail to see any difference with before:
- the trail is as short as before.
- the footstep radius is as small as before
- the flame height is as low as before.

At least your weapon got mentioned.

Sincerely, a predator owner

…no, I’m not bitter.

…ok maybe a little

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

No change to Rodgort?

JaxomNC.5381

Sorry about that

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I can’t tell any difference whatsoever with incinerator either. Was really hoping for them to completely update the footfall, as the current one has a pretty bad texture, especially compared to the likes of twilight and now even bifrost (which already had an aura AND footfall). Stupid 2-handers getting all the love even though (some) 1-handers cost just as much.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

No change to Rodgort?

Posted by: purplepegasus.2791

purplepegasus.2791

While the Minstrel was probably in more of a need of a reboot than Rodgort, I was still surprised the Rodgort was overlooked, especially considering that weapons like Quip and the Dreamer got more attention, despite these being impressive already.

- Tricky Gemini – Mesmer – Jade Quarry -