Small rant: the overuse of platform/minigames

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: AmateurGod.5403

AmateurGod.5403

I said earlier, we have a great engine for GW2. But making it do platforming stuff is like getting a powerful heavy elephant to win a horse race. It’s not always pretty. Finding the sweet spot between pushing the boundaries of the engine to create new old-school mechanics and keeping the gameplay perfectly smooth is a constant game of compromise. I’m not claiming we’re perfect at it. But we’re trying. Check back after we get the changes in and see if we addressed most of the difficulty spikes.
I’m really appreciative to have this interchange with you guys. Some of your ideas are going directly into our fix. Though most of the warranted complaints are just a limitation of what we can and can’t do with our engine. (Like making the dart traps knock back instead of kill. That was our initial intent, but there’s no way to make it work.)

I don’t wanna sound like an kitten but maybe you could take that as a tip to going back to designing content that’s relevant to MMORPG players.

If we wanted to play old school platformers we’d probably go and buy those games. There are plenty of them! With better suited engines and that are overall a lot more fun.

I play GW2 because I love the combat mechanics, theorycrafting, playing with and against other players and the rpg elements. Jumping puzzles are cool, yes, but as a casual and from-time-to-time experience. Not as full scale living story updates and worlds, or mandatory and in the way to getting new skins and achievements kind of thing.

When I see you guys spending so much freaking time and effort in designing this enormous platform mini game content that speaks zero to players like me that bought the game and continue playing it for its RPG and PvP elements, it just makes me so frustrated.

Specially when I go about my daily pvp routines and (even a year after release) I feel ignored and lied to as a pvp player. Zero new game modes, no proper tournaments, a numb and broken progression and rewards system and 2 new maps that aren’t even that reliable for ultra-competitive play. I appreciate all the balance updates and interface changes the game has had related to pvp, but those were fixes that the game badly needed, not new content. PvP (and WvW) are lacking so much, and instead of you addressing that*, we get more mini games. Why?

*(and addressing these issues is not writing posts telling us how you understand the frustration and promising us you that are passionate about the game. Addressing the issues means designing and implementing new features to change the complaints and make the game actually better)

Still, I really appreciate your effort in communicating more with us through the forums. Thanks

/casts protection, stability, retaliation
Come at me, bros.

Posted by: Kailynn.5817

Kailynn.5817

I am an MMORPG player, and this content is more relevant to me than PvP. Personally I can’t stand PvP and don’t touch it, and I wouldn’t miss it if they removed it tomorrow. That said I don’t feel the need to complain when they add a pvp map and nothing that is of much interest to me.

The idea that no content should be added that isn’t tailored to you because you don’t find it relevant or interesting is arrogant in the extreme. There are a much wider range of people playing this game. And you can’t use the ‘if you like this then yu should just play old games’ because the same could be said for PvP. If you like PvP why don’t you go play a game that already has that, or maybe even tailored specifically for it?

Simple fact is, this game had PvP and jumping puzzles and exploration since the game came out. this IS content, and many of us enjoy it. They said SAB was extremely well received the first time, and one can assume if that wasn’t true they wouldn’t have put the effort into bringing it back. If their player base enjoys it, they will make more. Plain and simple. And that goes for PvP as well. Complaining that it doesn’t fit into your niche of playstyle just makes you sound like a child screaming “Me me me me me.”

On the flip side, do I think they should do more PvP stuff? Sure. And form what we here there is WvW stuff coming (no idea of structured) so it isn’t like you are being ignored. PvP requires class balancing and testing on a much larger scale than something like SAB does. You can’t expect them to crank them out every month or you’ll end up with maps that are poorly balanced or simply boring or dull to play in.

TL,DR:
Some people like SAB, some people like PvP. Don’t whine if they aren’t always making content you want. There’s more than just you playing the game.

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Ah, so your little post in a larger thread didn’t get you enough attention. I suppose I can paste in my response again for you.

I don’t wanna sound like an kitten but maybe you could take that as a tip to going back to designing content that’s relevant to MMORPG players.

Whatever word “kitten” censored here, you sound like it. I don’t particularly like WvW, should I tell them to stop developing it and do things I care about? If you don’t like it go play something else and stop being selfish.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: AmateurGod.5403

AmateurGod.5403

@Kaylinn

and to all people who mistake pvp to “just one more feature”. go kitten yourselves. GW1 community was all centered around pvp. MMOs selling point is about pvp or cooperation for dungeon/raid content. THERE IS NO OTHER GAME TYPE that does pvp better. ITS MMOs. It was and is this game’s selling points. Not jumping puzzles.

That’s why it’s build on this engine and not on one for platforms. Are you that stupid that you can’t understand that?

And for all that is sacred, try out pvp and stop being an idiot.

@Adamantium

wow, so brave, such courage, so intellect, smart shibe, wow

I deleted the post when I decided to turn it into a thread, kitten.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

MMOs selling point is about pvp or cooperation for dungeon/raid content. THERE IS NO OTHER GAME TYPE that does pvp better. ITS MMOs. It was and is this game’s selling points. Not jumping puzzles.

FPS do PvP a skritt-ton better than MMORPGs.

MMORPGs shine at PvE.

Just saying.

I also agree that PvP in GW2 needs some love, especially as it was a much bigger focus in GW1. It is why my own guild started playing GW1 back then (we came from a fantasy FPS, go figure). Nowadays I play PvP only sometimes and only causally, but I kind of miss guild matches.

But to say that that is the main purpose of an MMO is so far off the mark it isn’t even funny.

Thirdly, I will dissect “MMO”:

• massive
  • multiplayer

We do have MMO-PvP, in the form of WvW (“massive”!)

Small-scale PvP of 5 vs 5 or 8 vs 8 is not an inherent feature to massive multiplayer online games.

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

SAB is basically the most epic MMO dungeon ever.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

No one is going to take you seriously if you’re kittening all over the place.
Kailynn and Adamantium basically summed it up. You don’t like it, doesn’t mean they should stop developing it. SAB has returned twice in over one year, how is that too much?

When I see you guys spending so much freaking time and effort in designing this enormous platform mini game content that speaks zero to players like me

So what? It doesn’t speak to you? Boohoo. A LOT of people like this content. It speaks to A LOT of people. They develop plenty of content for you, all year round. So just go play your PvP whilst those of us who enjoy SAB play SAB.

| Lithia |

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

No one is going to take you seriously if you’re kittening all over the place.
Kailynn and Adamantium basically summed it up. You don’t like it, doesn’t mean they should stop developing it. SAB has returned twice in over one year, how is that too much?

Lets see. SAB was a full month update in April and a half month update now. That’s 1.5 months out of <12 the game has been getting updates for. I’m no math genius, but that means 1/8th the game updates have been SAB. Yeah, you bet your sweet kitten it’s too much. This was fine as an odd curiosity, and I was even ok with letting the “special” 8 bit weapons stick, but now it’s just getting dumb. And yes, nobody is making me play it, and I’m not. But when bugfixing it somehow takes precedence over fixing elonian wine (which isn’t used by anyone ever at all, right?) from release until yesterday then we got a problem, and you’re kitten straight I’m madder than Khorne.

Posted by: Raziel.9738

Raziel.9738

Blood for the Blood God, and so on. But like someone said, a lot of people enjoy this content. I am one of them, even though I see your point perfectly. It’s nonsense content, even if I enjoy it. The reason I’m not raging about it is that this is the one update I don’t see anything to rage about. Scarlet was nonsense, and the SAB will be followed by… Tequatl being revamped. Tequatl, a dragon linked to the ONE elder dragon we’ve killed for 12 months now. That’s a much better example of non-content to me than the SAB, which is designed purely as a fun gimmick.

Posted by: Ghisteslohm.7803

Ghisteslohm.7803

I play GW2 to enjoy the MMO Content BUT also to the enjoy the secret jumping puzzles which are always a lot of fun. For me atm they are even more fun than the rest of the game because it is 95% just farming and zerging with autoattack. Even the dungeons are most of the times just 15 minutes long because you can run through.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

SAB makes gw2 stand out from all the rest very original and very creative, i wish we could let the world know how awesome SAB is, but i’m sure new kiddies would expect first person shooting and rage quit when they dont see any.