Tribulation Mode + latency issues?

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

Having done W1 in Trib mode a few times, I encountered a couple of issues which I’m not sure are bugs, problems due to my latency, or as intended. If anyone could share their own experiences or clarify, that’d be great and I would send you my internets.

Hidden spikes (and sometimes visible spikes) – I constantly find myself dying outside of their range. I can literally see my character collapse on the ground, next to the spikes, but not actually touching the spikes. I also occasionally get killed by visible spikes while still mid jump.

Acid – same problem as the spikes, but happens much more often. I’ve had deaths by acid anywhere from just above the surface (in which case my guess is I must’ve touched it slightly) to on a lotus pad immediately after jumping on it (before I have time to jump out of it) to on top of a gator or a rock to on top of a bouncy mushroom to on top of a disappearing leaf before it’s vanished (I was checkpoint’d and the leaf was still there). It’s similar to the problems people were having with the rapids (which I also have), except with insta death instead of being knocked around.

Rocks that knock you back – probably the most frustrating issue (in particular in the portion of W1Z1 with several of them over a pit/spikes). The rocks’ slam is completely inconsistent – it’s impossible to tell when they’ll start their slam, and I can’t dodge when they’ve already started (I can only dodge if I do before the rock’s angry face appears, which means I pretty much never know when to dodge, and if I successfully manage I’ll get the “evaded!” message well after the slamming animation’s done). I’ve tested how off the timing is, and I ran past the same rock multiple times in the exact same way (just running ahead past the rock from the same starting point) and managed to get myself knocked back at various different points in time and not get knocked back at all.

The W1Z1 series of jumps part is very problematic since it feels like pure luck whether or not I’ll get knocked back before I get past (and I invariably die when launched, even if I land on top of shrubs). As an example, today it took me 3 continues to get past that part, whereas I barely died at all in other parts except for when I forgot where a spike set was and so forth. Either one of the rocks would fire off as soon as I landed or just as I was leaving and kill me, or I would dodge too soon at a certain part and miss the timing (which meant the rock would then slam down and kill me) or I wouldn’t even be given time to dodge. Sometimes the rock would start slamming down while I was still in midair jumping towards it.

Is this part of the design, is it a bug in general, or is my latency really messing with the rocks’ timing/where I land? I’m in S. America and normally my ping is about 220, but can reach 300 or higher at peak hours.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I have never died out side of spike range. However if you do try to jump into hidden spike ‘air space’ they will get you. So you may be cutting your jumps a little too close.

Same thing with visible spikes, if you start your jump to close to them, your hit box with hit them on the way up and over killing you.

So spike wise aside from that, I’d say anything else may be lag.

Acid I have not had any problems with aside from that one spot mentioned in the thread ‘Why am I dying in mid air.’

As for the rocks, I am not too sure how they are programmed, but it is my guess that by design they are tricky. If you are quick you can run right over them, or jump right on (and then off) them and they won’t even trigger.

As for their hit radius, it does seem like sometimes you get hit and sometimes you don’t. It is hard to tell because we can’t actually see their hit radius. Through my trail and error though it does seem like if you make sure to run directly away and not just past them (when possible) you have a better chance of not getting hit.

If I am in a tight spot and don’t think I can make it past I’ll dodge against a wall or something so I basically dodge in place (where possible of course) and take the hit so to speak then continue running.

Those are my findings and as far as I can tell I don’t have any high latency issues. So I’d say if your experience is not close to mine, you may be experiencing some lag.

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

I had some very strange lag earlier today… I spent 40 lives trying to even get into King Toad’s arena only to be killed mid-air by lilly pads I already jumped over. I still haven’t killed him. The weirdest thing is that nothing else was lagging, only GW2.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Posted by: Deroy.2457

Deroy.2457

I have died many times from traps that shouldn’t have killed me for I was nowhere near them. I’ve had the floating leaves sink immediately after jumping onto them. Rocks manage to hit me mid-air, and a lot of times they simply ignore jumping up to attack me altogether even though I was well within range. I’ve had severe cases of rubberbanding (only happens in GW2), that moves me into traps after I’ve managed to slip by already.

And that isn’t remotely every issue I’ve experienced.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

My ping sits around 300ms as an Oceanic player.

As an oceanic player I’ve learnt to adjust to the latency. Taking ‘pauses’ to allow the server to catch up with me solves most the problems (don’t get me started on how stupid that is for Sanctum Sprint). In any event I can manage most of it.

However I have issues around objectives that are timed and are required to respond to immediately once they are triggered.

Thumping Rocks and Exploding lily’s are tied directly to latency and therefore are my biggest issue. Exploding lily’s require a jumping ‘tap’ to negotiation many of them successfully in succession. Unfortunately under latency a ‘tap’ takes much longer than is necessary and usually results in death. It’s almost impossible to complete during prime hours and I usually just throw lives at it until i can overcome it once the latency Gods favour me. Thumping rocks are similar but because they usually occur over solid land i can do a combination of jumps/dodge/dodge+jumps to negate the latency.

What concerns me is that once threat locations are memorised the real challenge then is over timed threats and it concerns me they will emphasise this more in future updates of SAB.

This was similar to the Liadri fights where I would get clipped by visions or still be inside AoE. Just like you mention for SAB, on my screen I would appear to be safe and out side of AoE range. Interestingly i saw many NA/EU players had complain about camera angles which to me was nothing compared to the latency.

I’ve already mentioned Sanctum Sprint. Trying to get first place was made insane by latency.

At the end of the day I don’t imagine there is much ANet can do, HOWEVER it is important for them to be sensitive to this issue, or they risk alienating anyone who doesn’t live on top of a server.

Either that or give us the Oceanic server we asked for.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The sinking Lily Pads often kill me instantly as I land on them. And I have had many spikes that killed me as I was jumping over them. I’ve also had several cases where spikes would kill me after I had respawned, thus taking two lives. Or they would kill me while I was falling, thus I lost a life from both the spikes and the fall.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

It’s an issue I have too being in Australia. Not much that can be done about it tbh.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

neon.4863

It does seem like most of it is caused by latency. Sucks to be us, I suppose. I agree with SoPP though – I wish the devs would be more sensitive to latency as a whole when designing these. I realize it may trivialize content for those with low latency, but it does seem to amp up the difficulty to an extreme amount for content that was already difficult, if you have higher latency. I had problems with Liadri, too, to the point that I had to get lucky and not need to dodge out of AoE at all to be able to beat her (gave up on 8 orb entirely).

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Posted by: V Man.8512

V Man.8512

As a satellite broadband user, I can safely say latency does make a HUGE impact on tribulation mode. I managed to get through zone 1 after about 4.5 hours and hundreds of lives, but getting past the jumping rock in the lava part of zone 2 has eluded me so far. Thing is I know I could do it without the random deaths caused by lag but this just makes it ten times more difficult. It’s a shame.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, it’s a latency thing, and it seems to have gotten worse in the last day or so for me. I’ve been having a devil of a time trying to get past Rapids due to getting knocked back by rapids even though I’m standing on rocks/crocodiles, and I’m stuck in TM W2Z1 due to the game thinking I’ve landed in lava even though my screen shows I’m safely standing on wood.

I wonder if the “Internal Server Error” the forums have been having the last few days has something to do with it, as both the forums and the game servers are linked… Keeping my fingers crossed that this improves soon.

One thing I’m also considering trying is guesting to a low-pop server to see if the latency improves there.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

yes i have the same problem being in australia playing on EU server. .. esp the mushroom jump, as i get teleport from higher mushrooms to lower mushrooms a lot of time for no good reason. or falling down of mushrooms itselfs. also it is hard to do the jump pass those angry rocks.
but if i play during low peak hours when less people online, i made it in first go!

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

I’m going to have nightmares with lilys this night.

After endless tries in order to get the last shop on W1Z3, I’ve been absolutely unable to fight the King Toad properly.
After many tries I have reached the platform and full melee the boss because trying to jump on a lily was almost a death sentence. When the boss has died, I’ve died too, don’t know why, and I’ve been unable to just get the chest for the next whole minute.
No reward, no achievement.

I don’t know if the lilys had lesser upyimes on TM, if it’s a latency issue at my side, if it’s server side, or a mix of everything. I only know that this is maybe the most stupid thing I’ve experienced in the game so far.

Posted by: Ollien.2108

Ollien.2108

I’m going to have nightmares with lilys this night.

After endless tries in order to get the last shop on W1Z3, I’ve been absolutely unable to fight the King Toad properly.
After many tries I have reached the platform and full melee the boss because trying to jump on a lily was almost a death sentence. When the boss has died, I’ve died too, don’t know why, and I’ve been unable to just get the chest for the next whole minute.
No reward, no achievement.

I don’t know if the lilys had lesser upyimes on TM, if it’s a latency issue at my side, if it’s server side, or a mix of everything. I only know that this is maybe the most stupid thing I’ve experienced in the game so far.

This literally just happened to me. For some god forsaken reason I died when the boss did and couldn’t get back down due to dying mid jump between lily pads. Bad enough you don’t get the reward but the achievement is also tied to the chest as well :/

Posted by: Cato.3547

Cato.3547

This literally just happened to me. For some god forsaken reason I died when the boss did and couldn’t get back down due to dying mid jump between lily pads. Bad enough you don’t get the reward but the achievement is also tied to the chest as well :/

This issue is so infuriating, wasted like 30 life’s just to get to the boss and then died at the end luckily i got back for the loot before timer ran out.

Posted by: Naglifar.1684

Naglifar.1684

There are two things you can do here:

1. for lily pads I enable auto run, mash jump and rely on camera turning to guide my passage. My deaths related to lily pads has decreased since using this method. (always aim for the middle of the lily).

2. Always aim for the edges of spiked platforms. You have to do a ‘tall’ jump over them, as spikes will still stick you if you attempt a ‘running start’. By starting your jumps on the edge of platforms, you get a fraction of a second to move forward—before you jump.

As for the King Toad: from the respawn its actually possible to make the jump from the mushrooms on the top to the rock in the pond below. It is the most reliable method. Proceed to jump from center of lily pads to stage.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I recommend that all Oceanics move to Seattle. You’ll have less lag, and America is the best country in the world.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Zaxares.5419

^ Sure, if you’re willing to pay for our plane tickets and be our immigration sponsor.

Back on topic, to everybody having latency issues, where are you located? I came across this thread in the Bugs forum that mentions the NCSoft servers having massive packet loss which is causing the lag:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Extreme-Lag-Packet-Loss-NCSoft-Servers/first#post2807992

neon.4863

I also died when King Toad died on my first attempt at z3. The second time I didn’t die – I find that if you are too close to him when he dies, the acid will bubble up (or something) and kill you. Stay closer to the outer edge of the big lily pad and you shouldn’t die.

@Zaxares: I’m in Brazil.

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

I have the exactly same problems… And of course, i will need to spend a lot of lives and deal with it. This is an american/european game selled to all the world. so yeah… a shame…

Zaxares.5419

Some latency is to be expected when connecting to US/EU servers if you’re located in a distant country, but the last two days have been much worse than usual, hence me posting that link. It seems that something is wrong with a particular NCSoft server, resulting in 100% of packets sent to it being lost. There is also unusual slowdown in the connection between the Paris and Washington hubs.

EDIT: Also, last night I tried guesting to a low-pop server to see if it would improve the lag, but it didn’t. If the cause is due to packet loss between the servers, however, I can see why that wouldn’t improve things. Really hope ANet notices this soon!

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Ptolia.3450

Ptolia.3450

Being from New Zealand, our latency is dreadful therefore making SAB so much harder to achieve. The jumps that require evades from bouncing rocks and such take many attempts (thank God for the infinite continue coin) so that it feels there is a particular pixel you have to hit exactly to have a chance of making the jump. It would be nice if the testers tried dealing with our connections before release to see what we are faced with and perhaps enlarge the safe landing zones for some of these harder timed jumps.

Posted by: Steve Olson.5613

Steve Olson.5613

I had severe lag during World 2 Zone 3 Tribulation Storm Boss that resulted in a disconnect. I raged pretty hard.

For two+ hours instances, there needs to be a better save-checkpoint feature. All they have to do is be like the Continue Barrels in the Donkey Kong Country games where once you hit them, it’ll be the last place you start off if you happen to quit the level. If you finish the level, then you only restart back to the beginning if you’re replaying it.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

:( latency and lag is the biggest stop for me to cpmplete TM w2z2 because of the need to do the perfect jump at the trampolin near boss.
yesterday was trying to do normal daily run for w1, and the lag was so bad that i just died with no reason, walking on a branch that has no monster any where around, no traps no spike no poison water… i just died because i did a jump and land on another branch, walk a few steps, and died. i just quit after 100 deaths

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia