Gaming references found in the SAB.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: spconder.2489

spconder.2489

So many references to classic 80’sand 90’s games are sprinkled all over the SAB. Here are a few that I’ve found.

-Fairly obvious, but the Wagon Smashing bonus game is clearly inspired by the Car Crusher mini-Game from Final Fight/ Street Fighter. The dwarf (?) stepping out and saying “Aww, my wagon!” Was a dead giveaway.

-The map screen that pops up between levels looks eerily like the one from Golden Axe.

-The whole of adventure mode has clear inspirations from Zelda.

-The whip is based on the one in castlevania. It even has a near identical animation.

-Ninjas throwing stars and charging at you with swords on a narrow bridge with gravity defying gaps? Sounds like Ninja Gaiden/Revenge of shinobi to me. (FYI it’s Ninja GUY-DEN, not GAY-DEN. And you must say GAI-DEN like that dude from The Wizard or it doesn’t count.)

-Several sound effects sound like the came right out of an atari 2600 game. I would not be surprised if ANet sampled an atari game or two.

-Speaking of sound effects, does that sound the NPC’s make when speaking seem familiar to you? You probably played a few SNES RPGs as a kid. In fact, that EXACT sound is used for menu navigation in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. (Relax, it’s probably public domain.)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

It brought me right back to my childhood.

It’s so amazing to see how those old games would have looked had the technology been there to make it 3D. I’m so impressed by the quality of this content.

I’m still saving for that awesome whip!

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: KyoHanakaze.8145

KyoHanakaze.8145

The crown the toad king has is much like King Candy’s in Wreck-it ralph

HoD/Valkyria Immortalis[VLK]
Iverna//Ranger
Adrienne Stormborn//Elementalist

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I believe World 1, Zone 2, Section 1 is a Lost Woods reference from Zelda

also throwing stuff in King Toads mouth could be a reference to throwing the vegetables in the big boss’ mouth in Super Mario Bros 2

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: kiwiburner.2186

kiwiburner.2186

Yeah, I think that’s pretty much as far as I got too. The sword coming down and striking through the shield in the intro is reminiscent of Adventure Time, but I presume that the use in AT was in itself referential of Zelda.

BTW, just want to say whoever did the dialogue in the SAB deserves many colorful bouquets. I was literally in tears with the dialogue of the shopkeeper when smashing up his stuff, especially, paraphrasing: “Thank you for destroying my items. Now I realize that my hoarding brought me nothing but sadness” as well as the gnome after destroying his wagon: “… I only had a few more payments on that, too.”

Whoever wrote those lines should take over all of the comical writing for the game (or at least become the unofficial comical writing editor).

“poopsock made it past the filters!” -stinkypants.8419

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

The “baubble get” sound is too close to the sound effect for getting a rupee in the original Legend of Zelda to be a coincidence.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

another one is when you are defeated…you get the black silhouette of the big boss’ face….similiar to bowser’s silhouette in Super Mario 64

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

In the garden, where you select what zone to enter, there are tiny little tetris blocks floating in the air.

in Super Adventure Box

spconder.2489

Another Final Fight reference: On the continue screen, you are tied to a pole and surrounded by explosives. Hello Final Fight 1’s continue screen.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: kokuou.9537

kokuou.9537

The ‘Bauble Bubbles’ are clearly a reference to Bubble Bobble.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Shops are set up exactly like the Legend of Zelda. A little counter in the middle of the room with a few items for sale, and smashing everything in the shop for currency. When you buy something from the shop keeper, the Zelda “upgrade music” starts playing.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

World 2’s water mechanics and soundtrack remind me a lot of the T&C Surf game.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Blackwyn.8127

Blackwyn.8127

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Wallach.7291

Wallach.7291

A lot of world 2 (especially the music) references the game Wizards & Warriors for the NES.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

smashing pots = zelda

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I just love the character selection screen with the 8-bit MIDI-like theme song. Love it!

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Qonic.4217

Qonic.4217

King Toad gives you an extra heart when you defeat it: clear zelda reference

^ this

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: earendil.1290

earendil.1290

How about fighting monsters with a key ? that you use as a sword? Does this ring a bell ?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

The death screen (not game over) sound effect and black screen with the boss helm cut out is a direct reference of Mario 64’s death animation.

The rainbow and clouds seem to point to rainbow island.

The rabbit tornado seems to refer to attacking the chickens in Ocarina of time

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: vultheis dragonheart.3527

vultheis dragonheart.3527

the npc moto reminds me of nintendo’s ceo miamoto

i am sworn to valor my heart knows only virtue
my might upholds the weak my words speak only truth my wrath undoes the wicked- Vultheis D.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The music at the start of SUB (where Moto is) is nearly identical to the overworld music of world 1 of super mario 3 on the NES.

The game over screen is a reference to the game over screen in Zelda 2 on the NES.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

Don’t know if I have to point it out but the soundtrack for the first world is an 8-bit (?) remix of the original guild wars 2 song ‘Logans Journey’

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

Moto=Miyamoto from Nintendo.

The scene with the baddie going HAHAHAHA and kidnapping a princess totally reminds me of Ganondorf. I see more Legend of Zelda influences than Mario, with the completely rubbish sword you are expected to somehow save the world with (a pointy stick) the pots you can break, the shield and the nonsense language (Tyrian or Hyrulian?) Another Zelda reference was the dark woods.

The clouds, bouncy toadstools etc remind me more of Mario.

A reviewer said it was influenced by Mario/Zelda/Metroid but I can’t see the Metroid influence at all. Can anyone else?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

A lot of world 2 (especially the music) references the game Wizards & Warriors for the NES.

I thought the whole thing has a wizards and warriors feel to it.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: almostdaft.4319

almostdaft.4319

What are you references to older games you have spotted in the Super Adventure Box?

*If you die, you pretty much get the same transition screen in Super Mario Bros. 64.
*In the first area, where you pick your world and zone, you can see Tetris blocks in the sky.
*With both the names of the princess and Moto himself, they are a obvious reference to Shigeru Miyamoto himself, the creator of Mario and The Legend of Zelda.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

- The game over/continue? screen is a clear throw back to arcade titles like Final Fight and Ninja Gaiden with their “heroes dying gruesomely if you don’t put in more quarters” scenarios

- The apple cart smashing bonus round is also a clear shout out to both Final Fight and Street Fighter 2, which had similar bonus rounds.

in Super Adventure Box

spconder.2489

I can’t believe I failed to see this until this morning:

The UI in the SAB is just like the one in minecraft!

I also tried inputting the Konami code, just to see what would happen. Sadly, the code does nothing.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

On the outside of the Super Adventure Box, the control station resembles a Nintendo controller.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

To me the baubbles (especially the +5 one/green one) look just like the things from the NES Bionic Commando. (I think they were health orbs in it) At least shape wise and base color (they were opaque in Bionic Commando though), possibly sound-wise too. Been a long time since I’ve played that game.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Super Adventure Box

Arikyali.5804

I know the rapids zone was inspired by another game…the deserty look and fast running rivers are so familiar. I just don’t know what game it is.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The rapids look very reminiscent of the game Snake Rattle N Roll for the NES. The fountains that you jump on as well.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Nekres.1038

Nekres.1038

Getting the Candle
Getting the Candle (ie. the “Light” skill) is a reference to the old Zelda games.
Here the shopkeeper is standing right in front of his shop, saying the green water tastes weird. Meanwhile, you can go into his shop and steal the Candle like Link would do with some Items in his old games.

One video I found
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRebV-jpQLc

(edited by Nekres.1038)

in Super Adventure Box

spconder.2489

Once you get the slingshot or the bombs, to use them you have to have ammo. What’s the ammo? YOUR BAUBLES.

(In Zelda 1, you used your Rupees as ammo for your bombs, bow and arrow, etc.)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Moto=Miyamoto from Nintendo.

The scene with the baddie going HAHAHAHA and kidnapping a princess totally reminds me of Ganondorf. I see more Legend of Zelda influences than Mario, with the completely rubbish sword you are expected to somehow save the world with (a pointy stick) the pots you can break, the shield and the nonsense language (Tyrian or Hyrulian?) Another Zelda reference was the dark woods.

The clouds, bouncy toadstools etc remind me more of Mario.

A reviewer said it was influenced by Mario/Zelda/Metroid but I can’t see the Metroid influence at all. Can anyone else?

The language they are using is New Krytan. It’s used all over Tyria, not just in SAB.

Also, similar to SAB, Link (from Legend of Zelda) also uses bombs, a slingshot, a wooden sword, and a torch.

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

in Super Adventure Box

Arikyali.5804

The rapids look very reminiscent of the game Snake Rattle N Roll for the NES. The fountains that you jump on as well.

Not the game I was thinking of, but it’s a closer comparison than what I had in mind.

I know it’s a long shot for the actual reference, but the jump pads for the mushrooms/flowers reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=65L6kDPGOh8#t=113s

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Atmo.1325

Atmo.1325

Here is what I found:

W1Z3

• The music has tones of the original Metroid theme for the NES.
  • The area also has tones of Brinstar from Super Metroid with the overgrowth and plant life.

World Map
* The map style was used in many different games. Two notably were Megaman’s Wily Fortress and Ghosts & Goblins.

W1Z1
* The typical structure for platformers (especially Mario) was to have a grassy, bright area as the first World or Section.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: VincentDW.9376

VincentDW.9376

Personally, the Frog King boss with his big amulet instantly made me think of the Frog King who had the hero medal in Chrono Trigger. The visual resemblance is pretty strong. http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Frog_King

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The red plants that grab you in W1Z3 remind me a lot of Metroid Prime but except from that, I didn’t see much.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the ‘boss’ that stands on top of the cage you beat down and shoots lasers, I’m pretty sure he makes a chain chomp noise from Mario.

RIP in peace Robert

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

The music in the ‘shops’ definitely remind of the old Crystalis NES game music that it uses at some point (can’t remember which section of the game though Might have to go back and play it again.).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: AmIAnnoyingNow.2903

AmIAnnoyingNow.2903

Moto at the end of world 2 occasionally does the mario jump

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

How about fighting monsters with a key ? that you use as a sword? Does this ring a bell ?

I want a key-sword skin! I want it now! :*( My Mesmer would be eternally grateful…

Slow down and smell the pixels.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

So the guy in charge is named Moto, we all know this. But the princess at the start is apparantly named Mia.

Mia and Moto.

I facepalmed.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

The alligator is from Pitfall, although this one’s mouth stays open the whole time. You can, however, still jump on it.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Pitfall: The alligators are definitely reminiscent of the old Atari 2600 game. All that’s missing is something to swing over them with.

Mario Bros: Flipping the turtles over definitely came from the first Mario Bros. arcade machine and Super Mario Bros. games.

Congo Bongo: Having monkeys throw coconuts at you while you jump on big blocks reminded me of the old arcade game Congo Bongo that I played in my youth.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Ovada.5149

Ovada.5149

I’m pretty sure this is the greatest thread, ever. XD

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

I am so disappointed in you guys.

First, the stick weapon is that similar to the “Wooden Sword” from Zelda series.

The name “Moto” is actually a reference of the game “Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest” with the Hero named “Loto” even the shield is similar in looks.

Bun-nado mini boss is a reference to Zelda on killing all the chickens but with Sab its with rabbits.

Edit: found another game to reference.

You know how the item name “bauble bubbles” exist?

Tada! I present to you “Bubble Bobble” on NES.
Even the apple in SAB has the same look.

Attachments:

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

First, the stick weapon is that similar to the “Wooden Sword” from Zelda series.

The name “Moto” is actually a reference of the game “Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest” with the Hero named “Loto” even the shield is similar in looks.

Bun-nado mini boss is a reference to Zelda on killing all the chickens but with Sab its with rabbits.

I’d say that Moto is more of a miyamoto reference, he even looks like him:
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/57658/moto.jpg
Someone mentioned the aligators being a pitfall reference, the monkeys and snakes also look a lot like the ones on pitfall.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

I’d say that Moto is more of a miyamoto reference, he even looks like him:
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/57658/moto.jpg
Someone mentioned the aligators being a pitfall reference, the monkeys and snakes also look a lot like the ones on pitfall.

I am not disagreeing there, I am just shocked no one here noticed the slight name difference or shield look reference it made to “Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest”. Even the name “Mia” is a huge give away.

However it was just a coincidence that Moto happened to be a closer reference to “Miyamoto” ’s name.

(edited by Shadowlancer.7102)

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

However it was just a coincidence that Moto happened to be a closer reference to “Miyamoto” ’s name.

I don’t think that one is a coincidence given that Moto is the name of the Asura that created the SAB.