Lessons Anet Will Probably Not Learn

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

First: Hard/punishing content should not be temporary. The stories of the game are important to almost all the players and effectively locking some players out of story content is just inappropriate and frankly, unnecessary. Some of the AR material could have been toned down in Story Mode for a first time completion, then returned to its current level of difficulty in an “Explorable” Mode where only certain achievements could have been obtained. My guess (and it is just that – my guess) is that probably a good 50% of the people who tried the AR dungeon never completed it, anther 40% completed it once and probably swore to never return, maybe 5% went back 2-3 times, and about 5% thought it was just great and went back over and over again.

Second: Stop mixing PvE rewards in PvP/WvW. Not a single PvE player I know thought was either reasonable or acceptable to throw a jumping puzzle achievement in the middle of WvW. Especially at a location somewhat infamous for being camped by opposing WvW players. Judging by the responses from most of the PvP/WvW players on these forums not many of them thought it was all that smart either. Without an strong PvE player base this game would almost cease to exist. If you think that the WvW/PvP base can keep this game healthy and making you money you are sadly mistaken. Even if you cannot accept that you are, and have been for a long time completely wrong about what WvWvW is (its PvP with PvE window dressing), you should at least be able to recognize that alienating the PvE base by sticking your finger in their eye this way is counter-productive (long term) to your bottom line.

It is telling to me that at the end of the Molten Facility run there were players camped out on map trying to get one last group in. Tonight on the map chat for LA I saw maybe 1 attempt by people to a group together for AR and there was almost no one outside the entrance to AR – and I am on a very well populated server. If Anet has the stats on the participation in AR they must recognize that they did not succeed this time – and by success I mean players wanting to play their content. LEARN from this Anet.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I’m sorry that people on your server aren’t competent, but this dungeon is a breeze in terms of difficulty. It’s one of those dungeons that can easily be carried on one persons back as opposed to other dungeons (heck, even CoF p1 can’t be completed with just one person).

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

It is telling to me that at the end of the Molten Facility run there were players camped out on map trying to get one last group in. Tonight on the map chat for LA I saw maybe 1 attempt by people to a group together for AR and there was almost no one outside the entrance to AR – and I am on a very well populated server. If Anet has the stats on the participation in AR they must recognize that they did not succeed this time – and by success I mean players wanting to play their content.

This.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

It is telling to me that at the end of the Molten Facility run there were players camped out on map trying to get one last group in. Tonight on the map chat for LA I saw maybe 1 attempt by people to a group together for AR and there was almost no one outside the entrance to AR – and I am on a very well populated server. If Anet has the stats on the participation in AR they must recognize that they did not succeed this time – and by success I mean players wanting to play their content.

This.

Note that the “candy” at the end of the MF was much bigger then this one and it was also a bit shorter imo.

I personally ran this dungeon like 15 times and loved it. With guildies, pugs, guys from friendlist.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

My guess (and it is just that – my guess) is that probably a good 50% of the people who tried the AR dungeon never completed it, anther 40% completed it once and probably swore to never return, maybe 5% went back 2-3 times, and about 5% thought it was just great and went back over and over again.

The dungeon itself is not that difficult, only the achievements are.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Note that the “candy” at the end of the MF was much bigger then this one and it was also a bit shorter imo.

I don’t think that the MF was shorter. There were significantly more trash mobs (heck, 4 of them before you even got to the actual Molten Facility), the trash mobs took longer to take out, longer paths, 2 bosses instead of one (Horrik doesn’t really count)… AR is really not long, it just takes forever.

A few things that I remember about the MF:

• I don’t think any group ever wiped in the MF testchamber – groups (especially PUGs) wipe in the Frizz room
  • The MF boss fight had two stages, but if you wiped in stage 2, you would start over at the beginning of stage 2, while in AR you have to start from scratch each time
  • Added frustration from players quitting halfway through after missing their chance for an achievement – never happened in the MF

So, what makes AR seem longer is a) the Frizz encounter if you haven’t nailed that and b) the boss fight that takes a minimum of 14 minutes (…) but since many times you’ll wipe, or lose time healing allies and THEN wipe… it feels like we spend 50% of the time or longer just on the boss fight.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

The only problem with AR was that Golems in the laser room could pull you back, if that would have been removed, AR would be excellent come close to MF, but I don’t think anything can beat the best dungeon boss encounter ever. Also, the items you could loot at the end of MF were more valuable (Molten Firestorm 80g-100g, Jetpack 100g+ VS Monocle of 60g) and azurite was only available in MF. There simply were more reasons for player to run MF.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

(edited by Riselight.3695)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: daicon.2476

daicon.2476

Hate to burst your bubble OP, but Anet doesn’t listen to community feedback. They have professionals from Nexon and NCSoft that guide their decisions.

Believe me when I say things are proceeding exactly as they want them to.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

My thoughs might be a little different than OP, but I do agree.

All this talk about Dungeon being to difficult or not, everyone argues about this and trying to fight for their own opinion but the truth is; everyone is not like you.

This dungeon is obviusly hard for a great deal of players (Me included) even though they are elit players, but maby they have a longer learning curve or are just realy bad att jumping on to small boxes and that renders this Dungeon impossible for some players. Some players have great reflexes and perception, love jumping puzzles or are realy steady on their fingers or whatever and they find this dungeon easy as pie.

The problem is not the difficulty in a way, the problem is that it is temporary and not everyone is good enough to finnish this Dungeon in two weeks, in my friends case (The Casuals) they play only on weekend evenings and they realy love the Dungeon except for the first boss since that’s where we are stuck, we have tried one saturday and two sundays now and we havent been succesfull but we never gave up trying, time just run out and next weekend the dungeon isn’t there, we are not just only robbed of the enjoyment from saying ‘ye! We finally did it!’ But we won’t get to se the little ending story for the dungeon.

GW1 had “Normal” and “Hardmode” after a good while, I hope that will come for GW2 too.
I don’t mind trial and error, I am quite used to it from other MMOrpg’s, but a normal mode to learn the basics of the dungeon and after you done that a Hardmode to give you a challange if you wan’t is more what I like and for temporary content that would be pretty important imo.

So all in all what I am saying is that, no don’t nerf the Dungeon but since it’s temporary, give us less good players a chance to succed too.

About the WvW JP’s, well I hate it and I won’t even go there to try it out. I did the JP once and swore never to go there again.
I still think that a JP doesn’t belong in a WvW map, if I wan’t to do WvW I do WvW and if I wan’t to do JP, I want to do a JP and not both at the same time. There is no skill in try to avoid being ganked or go there with a guild and fight the griefers.
That JP was only placed there to give griefers enjoyment imo.

I play both WvW and PvE and as I said ‘I play WvW for WvW, not for doing JP’s or griefing PvE strugglers who tries to compleate their achivement’.
Sure WvW needs more achievement, but putting it in a JP is a joke and saying ‘live with it, you PvE’ers have so many achievement’s anyway’ isn’t realy supporting the fact that it is a wise dessicion for iether PvE’ers or WvW’ers.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]