Venn diagram summary of forum feedback

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Venn diagram summary of feedback from various threads here.

Some of us bloody love the Aetherblade dungeon, and some of us feel the Aetherblade dungeon is too hard – we’d all be served well if the dungeon was made permanent.

Is this something we can agree on?

Attachments:

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

No the dungeon is fine. The more I do it the more I feel it’s fine. Just make sure you have 1-2 guardians.

All is vain.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The dungeon is fine, but not perfect. There are lots of aspects about it that I like, and some aspects with the final battle that I dislike. I think the graph may oversimplify the diverse opinions about this latest Living Story a bit.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Flumburken.6217

Flumburken.6217

Easy to say when you’re stuck failing to do the last two achievments on Mai and Horrik when you can’t just resets the boss for more attempts than having to do the entire instance over and over and over and over and over only to get stuck on the laser boss. Especially when you only got a few days left do complete this. It’s really nervwrecking.

It’s not enjoyable when it becomes a chore rather than a challenge. It’s just flawed.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Yup, the dungeon is fine, and it should be a permanent addition – enough people are having severe enough problems with it to say that making those achievements timed once wasn’t a great idea.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

The only thing wrong with the dungeon is that it is limited.

The venn diagram is spot on. Temp content is fine, and difficult content is fine, but making temp content difficult ends up screwing over a lot of people.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

No the dungeon is fine. The more I do it the more I feel it’s fine. Just make sure you have 1-2 guardians.

I think the point the OP is making is that the dungeon itself is fine, but it should be made permanent so people can relax a bit about getting the (very hard to get) achievements.

(I don’t entirely agree – the fight with Mai and Horrik had the potential to have been made a lot more interesting and less frustrating by not giving Mai immunity to Immobilise. But largely, the main problem with it for most people’s eyes is that it’s hard and it’s only available for a short time)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Actually, that Venn diagram seems to be Cool + Cool. An amalgamation of 2 different types of cool. I think you need to revisit Venn diagrams.

I never aced Maths, but I passed reasonably well in Uni and I’m pretty sure my lecturer would have groaned.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Stormy Dragon.9210

Stormy Dragon.9210

Since the supposed design philosophy of this game is that you’re not supposed to be locked into particular party builds to be successful “Just make sure you have 1-2 guardians” means that the dungeon is not fine.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Actually, that Venn diagram seems to be Cool + Cool. An amalgamation of 2 different types of cool. I think you need to revisit Venn diagrams.

I never aced Maths, but I passed reasonably well in Uni and I’m pretty sure my lecturer would have groaned.

I guess you haven’t clicked the diagram then and looked at the actual labels of the two sets: “temporary” (yellow), “challenging” (red) and “temporary and challenging” (orange).

Cool/not cool is opinions slapped onto the diagram after.

But thanks for the math education

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I’m right with this Venn diagram. The temporary nature of the challenging content has resulted in my just not bothering with it. The dungeon in particular looks lovely and there are some really nice bits that I’ve seen … if it weren’t for the boss fights it would be great.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“No the dungeon is fine. The more I do it the more I feel it’s fine. Just make sure you have 1-2 guardians.”

Don’t need guardians in here. Guardians are a crutch for players who don’t know how to defend themselves.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

no, the dungeon is fine. kinda ease when you’re used to it.
if lag kicks in.. on the other hand.. even the tiniest lag could down you in the cannon phase..

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Most of you are missing the point of the diagram, I’m guessing you didn’t even look at it. OP is saying AR is fine but NOT as limited story content. And also, no one is impressed if you think it is easy but go ahead and break your arm patting yourselves on the back if it makes you feel better.

Yeah, just let me pull two guardians out of my kitten when I need them.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Since the supposed design philosophy of this game is that you’re not supposed to be locked into particular party builds to be successful “Just make sure you have 1-2 guardians” means that the dungeon is not fine.

Exactly! It should not be necessary to have a specific class (and really 2 of them) for a event to be done successfully.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

Nope. I loved the dungeon and I had no problem getting the WvW cache.
Thank you TC for flooding the JP during the first few days and FA bros for not killing me when I’ve lost track of my fellow Toasters in the dark room <3

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I enjoy the dungeon, but that last battle with Mai is terribly designed. I hate these cheap mechanics that you can’t do anything against. Countless times I’m the last person standing, which means I can pretty much just throw my hands in the air, put the keyboard away, and let Mai use me as her private punching bag. There is nothing I can do once my team members start dying. She one-shots one after the other, and if you try to help them up she instantly tries to do it to you too. And then you’re the only one left, and you have no choice but to give up. I hate that!

At least in Guild Wars 1, even if your whole team wiped, you could still put up a pretty good fight against the boss on your own. You had a chance. In GW2 you often have no chance, and that is rubbish design.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: signahead.7281

signahead.7281

Some of us bloody love the Aetherblade dungeon, and some of us feel the Aetherblade dungeon is too hard – we’d all be served well if the dungeon was made permanent.

I agree.

Thanks to my excellent teammates, I was able to complete the dungeon, along with most of the achievements. But I have several friends who are still struggling with it. Given some more time, I think most of them would complete it. Many would probably even learn to love some of the details (like Frizz’s encounter, which is absolutely awesome).

Sadly, they won’t get a chance to enjoy it, and they may even go away angry. As someone who wants to see his circle of GW2 friends remain excited about the game, that’s a little disappointing.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I enjoy the dungeon, but that last battle with Mai is terribly designed. I hate these cheap mechanics that you can’t do anything against. Countless times I’m the last person standing, which means I can pretty much just throw my hands in the air, put the keyboard away, and let Mai use me as her private punching bag. There is nothing I can do once my team members start dying. She one-shots one after the other, and if you try to help them up she instantly tries to do it to you too. And then you’re the only one left, and you have no choice but to give up. I hate that!

At least in Guild Wars 1, even if your whole team wiped, you could still put up a pretty good fight against the boss on your own. You had a chance. In GW2 you often have no chance, and that is rubbish design.

I agree whole-heartedly. They should definitely have tried for something other than cheap tricks and sloppy mechanics to make the dungeon challenging. I mean the dungeon is suuuuper easy up until the two boss fights. There’s no challenge in it whatsoever, then all the sudden BAM 3 sets of broken armor trying to figure out mechanics? That is the quick and sloppy way to make things challenging. This is a terrible way to make challenging content because then you get these guys who just did it for 3 days straight until they had it memorized so they can farm it. Challenging content is something you have to adapt to, not something that you can just memorize.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

I mean the dungeon is suuuuper easy up until the two boss fights. There’s no challenge in it whatsoever, then all the sudden BAM 3 sets of broken armor trying to figure out mechanics?

I had this same problem with the F&F dungeon. Up until the final boss, everything was so easy I was barely paying attention, and then suddenly… “well that escalated quickly!”

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

The dungeon mechanics are a good challenge – so long as you have a guardian, and so long as you have at least one person who has run the dungeon before explaining it as you go. That’s not the kind of challenge that should be in a 2 week dungeon. I’m all for that type of challenge, but I honestly think temp dungeons need to be more friendly to pugs. Maybe even if it was a month long dungeon it would be fine, but 2 weeks seems a bit short.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I agree.

Thanks to my excellent teammates, I was able to complete the dungeon, along with most of the achievements. But I have several friends who are still struggling with it. Given some more time, I think most of them would complete it. Many would probably even learn to love some of the details (like Frizz’s encounter, which is absolutely awesome).

Sadly, they won’t get a chance to enjoy it, and they may even go away angry. As someone who wants to see his circle of GW2 friends remain excited about the game, that’s a little disappointing.

This is exactly the experience I made.

I do really like the dungeon for the most part. But after 4-5 runs, it still takes my group 2-3 hours to beat it, thanks to the boss fight. Ain’t nobody got time for that…

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I’d rather not have the dungeon be permanent and just have all other dungeons scale up to that standard of gameplay. Fights like Giganticus Lupicus (or at least the equivalent in coordination and skill) should be included in dungeons to evoke a grand sense of achievement with every dungeon run. It shouldn’t just be something everyone and their grandmother can slap zerker on and plow through.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

I agree, I’m lucky to have a guild group of people skilled enough so that we complete it rather easily but I have a lot of friends who struggle finishing this dungeons and do few hours long runs, sometime without even finishing.
The boss fights, particularly if you try to get the achievement related, needs you to have a good grasp of the mechanics involved and for most people it will recquires more than 2 weeks. And because people know this content is temporary, they tend not to bother anymore after a couple of failed runs because they feel they won’t get it before it’s gone anyway so why waste time ?

I think it is a really enjoyable dungeon and that’s the kind of things that make me enjoy new updates but I don’t think it is the good way to make the living story progress. Doing an easy mode with less rewards and keep the current state of the dungeon as "explorable mode " or even “hard mode” and provide people with more reward and/or exclusive achievement would be a good compromise for everyone.
People who simply want the storytelling would do the story mode while people who enjoy difficult content or rewards would do the hard version.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I agree.

This is exactly the experience I made.

I do really like the dungeon for the most part. But after 4-5 runs, it still takes my group 2-3 hours to beat it, thanks to the boss fight. Ain’t nobody got time for that…

I’m pretty sure lots of people have 2-3hours for it. 1.5hrs is a pretty typical run if playing with people who actually understand Frizz. Once you have everyone on the same page on how that fight works and how to play as a team and utilize stability it’s one easy fight. Seriously people need to just slow down on that fight. There is no time limit, focus on surviving and slowly DPS when you can until you learn how to do it faster.

What OP is saying is that challenging temporary content is uncool since you don’t get enough time to learn the fight. I personally don’t agree, but clearly the forums find AR one of the most impossible dungeons to get through ever….

I think what will start to happen is that completionists will learn to be OK with not completing something. Yes I know, it’s pretty much a kick in the kittens, but people get a little crazy when it comes to completing things; perhaps a break from the OCD is all they need and then they will see each update as content to enjoy rather than achievements to scramble to complete.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

It’s not about being a completionist, it’s about having the story available to you. I mean I’ll admit it irked me I wouldn’t get all the achievements, but I got over it really fast. What is going to fester in me forever is that I won’t even get to finish it. This will be the second story that I have not completed for dumb kitten reasons (the first being Lost Shores b/c my old computer couldn’t handle the one time OMG ZERG content). And I’ll continue to be kitten ed that I wasn’t allowed to be the one to bring in Mai because ArenaNet went for this terrible method of STORYTELLING! You guys should have all the hard core, OMG I"M GONNA DIE!!! content you want, but it should NEVER be the ONLY way that you can complete the story.

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Sephiroth Uriel.6980

Sephiroth Uriel.6980

I wholeheartedly agree with OPs diagram. The dungeon is fine – Its great to have hard content too. The problem (in my opinion) is that it’s temporary… I’ve been doing final exams since the 4th of June but I managed to get all the non-dungeon achievements by playing when I could find some time, but I wouldn’t have been able to complete this dungeon if I had not been lucky enough to find a group that was stuck with 4 people in the last fight.

After that I tried to do the whole dungeon, but everytime I was unable to get past Frizz even though I usually was the last one standing.

I’d be nice to hear what the devs think about it. I think the OP did a nice job summarizing the feedback

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I’d like to show my support as well. Temporary challenging content really leaves out many people, and even becomes a drag on more hardcore members when you know in order to even have a slight chance at an achievement you need to sit through an 1+ hour dungeon clear.

Hopefully we will see a return of all living story dungeons in something like a fractal capacity with the original dungeon related achievements still attached. Hell, even a separate category for dungeon achievements would be nice. Even as someone who has completed flame and frost would love to be able to go back to specific times in history and replay some amazing boss battles. The fractal system makes this a very lore friendly possibility.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Sky Pirates of Tyria

Posted by: vnvim.4657

vnvim.4657

…perhaps a break from the OCD is all they need and then they will see each update as content to enjoy rather than achievements to scramble to complete.

The problem is not necessarily the OCD, it’s that unless you complete the dungeon and complete the achievements, you don’t get to enjoy all of the content and items. Plus the fact that a lot of the content they keep adding is only there to get the achievements.

I have to say that, although I have loved the regular new content, having a 2 week turnaround is ridiculous. I don’t have much time to play during the week and can only really play in the evenings on the weekend, leaving me very little opportunity to experience the new content… esp the aetherblade retreat which I could only attempt (and fail) twice. I enjoyed playing it, despite failing it and would have really liked more time to take a crack at it.
I’m actually pretty kitten ed off that it has already disappeared. As a long time player and huge fan of Guild Wars, this has made me very annoyed.