100 Southsun Supply Crates Opened

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Spaced Invader.1823

Spaced Invader.1823

I just bought 100 Southsun Supply Crates for the heck of it. Here are the results (strictly in the name of science, not judging RNG in any way).

891 Karka Shells
339 Passion Fruits
114 Passion Flowers
4 Consortium Mobile Mystic Forge
2 Tiki Totem Shield Skins
2 Heavy Consortium Breathing Mask Skins
2 Heavy Island Shoulder Skins
1 Light Consortium Breathing Mask Skin
1 Shark Tooth’s Sword Skin
1 Shark Tooth’s Axe Skin
1 Consortium Mobile Crafting Station
1 Potion of Karka Toughness
1 Potion of Karka Slaying
1 Mini Southsun Kasmeer
1 Mini Southsun Faren
1 Sclerite Weapon Claim Ticket

There you go. Science is fun.

Enjoying Guild Wars since closed alpha in early 2004.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

i got a ticket from my first box that i got from a mob. kitten yea.

Posted by: Jett.1239

Jett.1239

With a drop rate like that you have to wonder what the point of creating a dozen or so new skins was — the only thing most players are going to wind up with is buyers remorse.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

With a drop rate like that you have to wonder what the point of creating a dozen or so new skins was — the only thing most players are going to wind up with is buyers remorse.

They’re still buyers; they spent money, which tells Anet that RNG is still successful and should be repeated for more profit.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Jett.1239

Jett.1239

They’re still buyers; they spent money, which tells Anet that RNG is still successful and should be repeated for more profit.

But for how long?

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

But for how long?

How long will people put money into RNG, get nothing and come to the forums to tell Anet that selling RNG is wrong?

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”

Though I thank the OP for providing us a bit more statistical proof.

Polish > hype

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Holly crab.
I was thinking of buying two or three and get a skin, but I ain’t throwing out my money like that.

And to think I got a fused weapon ticket on my 1st BLC. Goddarn, what were the odds?

Posted by: Omg A Hotpocket.7683

Omg A Hotpocket.7683

I’ve opened 19 so far all of which I’ve gotten from farming skelks for their mats. 1 weapon ticket, 2 crafting tables, and the heavy shoulders skin along with the usual fruit/shells/flowers. I also get anywhere from 1-4 chests per hour when farming. Just throwing some more data out there~

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

I’ve gotten 4 crates total from farming, 3 from wooden chests that popped up. Nothing but mats, as expected. That’s with the settler’s +MF boon and Yakkington ring only. I are non-optimal.

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

I got one crate from farming. And I played ALOT!

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

Quit buying these things. I refuse to listen to anyone whining about RNG boxes, quit buying them and they will stop making them.

Posted by: Falkor.7932

Falkor.7932

Are the mobile mystic forges infinite? I know the crafting station isn’t so I won’t get my hopes up.

“One time! I slightly blew some of us up one time, and you won’t let it go.”
- Explorer Bekk

Posted by: Gothica.6718

Gothica.6718

But for how long?

How long will people put money into RNG, get nothing and come to the forums to tell Anet that selling RNG is wrong?

yeah i’m one of them idiots and i aint doing it no more i bought about 200 of these crates and all i got out of was 2 things “diddly squat” and i aint ever wasteing my munny on that crap ever again

The Empire Of Bronys {PWNY]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Odd. But am I the only one that see’s that the uglier the weapon skin is the harder it is to obtain ?

My prettier one was far easier.

Posted by: Spaced Invader.1823

Spaced Invader.1823

Quit buying these things. I refuse to listen to anyone whining about RNG boxes, quit buying them and they will stop making them.

Quit telling people what to do and what not.

Also please kindly point out to me the people “whining” in this thread (other than you, of course, who just started whining over imagined whiners).

Enjoying Guild Wars since closed alpha in early 2004.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The 891 Karka Shells alone are worth the 100 crates.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

I opened 5 crates so far, 2 dropped from mobs. 3 I bought after conversing about 15g into gems. I got nothing worth mentioning. I don’t really mind, I just wanted to “take a punt”. I am really not interested in the new skins. I bought the 3 chests when I had only had one crate drop for me and I wanted to open a few more. I will continue farming karka for a little while longer. Mostly because I still need 125 more karka shells and 75 more flowers. Probably won’t buy any more crates. Don’t have the gold to spare and I blew my cash to gem budget chasing the fused skins (which I really, desperately wanted). If I get one of the new skin tickets… I guess I could tranmute my necro’s dagger… or get my thief’s a sword… Or maybe I’ll just reskin my Guardian’s Mystic Claymore and give her that creepy, creepy eye GS!

Basically, if I get skin I’ll find uses for it but I don’t care enough to invest money into it or additional time. I.e. I won’t farm longer then I need to after getting the karka shells and flowers I need to upgrade the tenticle backpack.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

Oh my God, I’ve farmed like crazy this week, I now have 5 unopened crates in my inventory… What I want is either the sexy mini or a weapon ticket, looks like I won’t be getting either with those drop rates…

deep sigh

Tinni.4351

Oh my God, I’ve farmed like crazy this week, I now have 5 unopened crates in my inventory… What I want is either the sexy mini or a weapon ticket, looks like I won’t be getting either with those drop rates…

deep sigh

But… that’s not how probability works. Every crate you open has the same chance of dropping a ticket whether you open 1 or 100. Someone could open 10000 crates and still get ZERO tickets. It’s not like Anet “loads” the probability the more chests you open. So you could be lucky and get 5 tickets out of 5 crates! Just remember to sacrifice a karka to the god of RNG (I believe that falls under Balthazaar’s domain if you are human but you can skip this step if you are a Charr), spin around 10 times chanting “nomonomonomo I want some omo”, toss salt over your left shoulder then jump into the pit of lava in the Karka Hive while wearing the goggling while screaming on map chat “THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!!!!” and open the crates while you are dead. I hear it boosts your chances of getting the skins by a significant margin!

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

Sebulon.7683

I’ll try doing those rituals when I open them. xD

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

I’ve gotten 40g from the crates i’ve opened but the one drop that isn’t tradeable, the one everyone actually wants, never shows up. I’m done.

I feel that this is a lesson that everyone should learn, because its a mistake that nobody makes twice.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Seems I got lucky, got a ticket from the 6th crate.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Another random box, another version of this thread.

Boxes are gambling. If you are not prepared to lose, don’t gamble. Arenanet sells gambling boxes because people buy them. If you don’t like gambling boxes don’t buy them.

Thanks to the OP for the unbiased and scientific viewpoint.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I opened 9 boxes so far, all monster drops. I got nothing but karka shells, passion fruits and flowers from them. Luckily, I didn’t get a ticket. I’d be rather annoyed if I’d get a ticket that has no other use than to get an unsightly piece of kitten weapon that I wouldn’t be caught dead with.

Sebulon.7683

Imagine if they didn’t drop tickets, but instead the weapons itself. And then you’d get the wrong weapon! lol

(edited by Sebulon.7683)

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

bought 10
got sclerite weapon ticket on the first one
same happend to me with F&F ticket

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

My guild leader brought 10, got 2 tickets and a mini Kasmeer.

Posted by: Schwarznebel.5693

Schwarznebel.5693

Got my first one after ~10 minutes when killing the first Veteran Karka during an event (No MF), it had a ticket.
Later I bought 10 boxes because I felt like supporting the game. The sixth had another ticket. I also got a shoulder skin and that ship-in-a-glas-bottle one.

I used to think the drop rate was really high… but looking at the thread opener I’m really shocked (maybe I was just ridiculous lucky…)

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

I’ve never actually bought a box of RNG anything from the gem store but that’s just me.. partially because if I didn’t get what I wanted then id feel a little cranky lol

But now that they are drops ive had about 20 or so crates drop for me

I opened about half of them with nothing exciting inside besides the usual flowers n shells… so I decided to stop opening singles and save the majority of them to open all at once, probably when they stop dropping or near the end so ill list my results then

Today’s the day! I decided to open up 25 crates since I wont be available to farm anymore so here are the results:

214 karka shells
88 passion fruits
27 passion flowers
1 light & 1 heavy consortium breather
2 sharks tooth sword skins
1 consortium clipper focus skin
1 consortium mobile crafting station

No weapon tickets but meh I didn’t lose any money either so im content

(edited by Frost.2908)

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

1-2 hrs per night and I have never seen a crate drop.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They would get more money if it wasn’t RNG, or if they raised the odds up more. More people buying generates more revenue, than less people buying because of RNG.

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I feel you there man, been doing the zerg thing on Southsun for a solid number of hours now and have yet to find a single chest.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The 891 Karka Shells alone are worth the 100 crates.

891 shells @ 3s each = 27g – 15% = 23g after selling

100 crates = 12,000 gems which sell @ 2.24g/100 = 268 gold

yep… it was almost worth it for the shells lol

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

I feel you there man, been doing the zerg thing on Southsun for a solid number of hours now and have yet to find a single chest.

It depends what your zerging I use to get crates and rares from the rioters but haven’t since the update so it might of been a bug
But from the regular event zerg you’re only getting a chance at a crate from the instigator and occasional crazed spawns.
Try changing it up a bit as dead anything = a chance for a crate …and the 200% MF boost never hurt either

Posted by: Zellax.7821

Zellax.7821

Hey guildie… Run with me today…. I just started doing it differently last night my results over one hr of farming (2 omnom bars) were :
- 2 crates
- 4 powerful blood
- 20 T5 blood
- 25 Karka Shells
- 2-3 rares

I was running with 338% MF during the course of time along with 2-3 more ppl.

Tinni.4351

I’ll try doing those rituals when I open them. xD

To give you some hope, I was feeling depressed tonight and since I already had two ice cream cones (they were minis!) I decided to engage in some non-fattening retail therapy and bought $20 worth of gems and bought 10 crates… and as luck would have it, a weapon claim ticket dropped and how my thief has a shortbow with eyes and constantly dripped blood!!!!

So total crates opened 15! 2 drop, 3 purchased using in-game gold and 10 purchased using RL cash! Skins got: 1! And thanks to that, I am significantly less depressed! So yay RNG!

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

I worked some IRL overtime and decided to purchase gems in bundles of $35 until I got a weapon ticket to treat myself. I bought $140 US worth of gems and bought as many crates as I could.

It was 1am when I was buying them and I didn’t track exact numbers but:

850ish Karka shells
300ish passion fruits
100ish flowers
2 mobile stations (consumable)
2 or 3 slaying potions
1 Breathing mask skin
1 Island shoulder skin
2 Mini Faren’s
1 Weapon ticket

Took the Greatsword skin for my warrior. Sold most of the crap and used the karka shells to trade in for Ancient Karka Shell accessory.

Would I do it again? Nope I will treat myself to something else next time.

Did I waste my money? Absolutely but I went in knowing it was a waste and I could afford to waste it

Would I recommend it to others? Not a chance

You’re welcome Anet but don’t think I will be so charitable with my money next time

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Only getting 1 ticket from 100 boxes is pretty lame. If it’s really that rare I don’t see myself being able to get one which makes me sad.

Posted by: brokkolispinat.1304

brokkolispinat.1304

Over 70 crates for me, only got two faren minipets and a medium shoulder….

Posted by: Newman.6847

Newman.6847

Always nice to see some research done in the name of science I guess I got really lucky – I never bought and crates, and maybe had 10-12 of them drop so far (honestly not 100% sure about this number I didn’t count, but it can’t really be more than that).

The notable loot so far included:

- 1 Sclerite weapon claim ticket;
- 1 Mini Faren;
- 1 Mini Kasmeer;
- 1 Consortium mobile crafting station.

And of course a bunch of Southsun related mats, karka shells, passion flowers, etc. I honestly thought the drop rate for the minis was higher since I got both after not that many crates opened. It’s really too bad I don’t even like the Sclerite weapon skins – wish I could sell that ticket! Not sure why would anyone ever want the mobile crafting station either, but the minis are kinda nice. I’ll sell Faren, but I’m way too shallow to ever sell Kasmeer

Posted by: Claude.9120

Claude.9120

Bought 100 and had nothing but rubbish. no Sclerite weapon claim ticket. This is on top of the 25 or so Ive had drop that contained nothing but junk too. RNG system is a joke. If the boxes bought had a higher chance than the dropped boxes then I could sort of see a reson to buy them, as it stands I feel the whole system is flawed.

Good luck to those who decide to use the store again but for me that was the last dollar ANET will ever get from me.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

The thing is, are they going to make more money off of it leaving it RNG? Or would they make more money off of it selling the mini pets and weapon tickets outright for gems?

How many people refuse to by these crates vs how many people would by the tickets or pets?

I don’t mind spending money on the game here and there, but I will never spend it on something that’s random. The OP layed out quite nicely as to why someone should not spend money on RNG.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I cannot possibly +1 this enough.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

How many lifes will have to be sacrificed so NCsoft/Nexon stops the selling of RNG? So many disgusted customers, so much anger and dissapointment, so much rage quiting and mother cursing…

All that when getting a weapon skin should be a pleseant experience. Just like when you bought Rox’s quiver or Braham’s set…lay down money for a limited skin that shall never return…lay it down for sure. Get it. Treat your character like a Barbie doll and dress it up…

Not coming to the forums and finding out its a 1/100 chance and a MAJOR invesment to get a skirt and saying out loud, in a personal whisper for yourself: 1/100 chance? Flock you Anet. Flock YOU.

What is the community meant to do? Start one of those pledges and get 100k signs for you to stop the RNG?

(edited by MakubeC.3026)

Posted by: Smrtokril.2369

Smrtokril.2369

You don’t have to buy crates if you don’t want to , please stop complaining all day on forums.

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

You don’t have to buy crates if you don’t want to , please stop complaining all day on forums.

I think the point most people are getting annoyed about is that for the most part to get much of anything from these mini content patches you do have to buy the boxes. They are sinking time into things like making these weapon skins instead of increasing the very lackluster assortment of armor/weapon models in the existing game then tossing them up for a limited time to create a rush and making the drop rate of both the chests and tickets so bad you have to pump in more and more money. Anyone saying you can reasonably farm a ticket is either really lucky or just dead wrong. Personally I don’t care for the skins this time so its no big loss. Still I would rather see more skins available in the main game before they push more limited time RNG crap.

Posted by: Deekers.2031

Deekers.2031

11 crates opened so far, all found from looting. It wasn’t til day 3 of the event that I even found my first crate.

The only thing I found that wasn’t a crafting mat that I can get from other sources:
1 karka slaying potion

Didn’t bother counting numbers of these, but they were in the crates:
karka shells
passion flowers
passion fruits

I think that crates should always contain something rare, or not available other ways, otherwise what is the point of them, usually upon finding one, at first I’m excited, then I dread opening it cause I know it’s just gonna be junk.

Posted by: TheBusinessEnd.3942

TheBusinessEnd.3942

Farming sharks in the water south of the crab toss arena is a good way of making money from armored scales and allows you to kill a lot of mobs in a short amount of time increasing your chances at crate drops. I farmed for 20+ min last night and made 2g and got 4 crate drops. unfortunately you can’t get karka shells this way but don’t knock it till you try it, its a good way to make extra $ if you get bored of farming for shells.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

As with all these RNG chest complaint threads, just because the crate doesn’t have what you want doesn’t mean it is empty or worthless. Do you destroy all loot that is not the exact item you want?

I’ve looted 6 so far and the karka shells and passion flowers are nice for upgrading the new backpiece. Some people don’t have time to farm shells and passiflora each day. As a bonus, I got an ugly sword skin and a mini Faren.