Canach's Lair - Not all of us play guardian!

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The boss fight in Canach’s Lair solo instance, annoyed the hell out of me. All this boss does is constantly spam knockdowns. Take note designers. Not all of us play a guardian! Not all of us play a class that has easy access to stability. I play a necromancer, which means I get knocked around the arena none-stop, which is annoying as hell (and makes it nearly impossible not to set off any traps). There is literally nothing I can do to stop that boss from knocking me around. The only option necromancers have is Lich Form, which drops the mine detector, and we can’t do any damage to him, and Death Shroud, which drops the mine detector again. As a necromancer you run out of dodge rolls and heals pretty quickly.

Now I’ve barely managed to get through this boss, but it is almost impossible to do without setting off traps. And why the constant knockdowns? Seriously, realize that there is a severe imbalance regarding access to stability skills for many classes! Not all of us play a warrior or a guardian!

There’s other issues with this boss fight, which other players have pointed out.

• The boss should not announce his attacks in chat. No one pays attention to the chatbox. Announce his attacks with a loud audio cue and a strong visual effect on all the mines. Players are focused on the battlefield, so that is where the cue should be.
  • There is one explosive mine at the back of the room that is invisible, which is really annoying. You can only vaguely see it’s icon pop up when you use the scanner, but unlike the other mines, it’s completely beneath the floor.
  • The icons for the mines are really hard to see. The fog doesn’t help either. Make them bigger and brighter in color. Especially the difference between the landmine and the shrapnel mine is hard to read. The toxic mine stands out more, due to the bright green color of the icon.
  • The mine mechanics are pretty buggy. Often mines don’t seem to respond when hit with the correct skill. Often mines don’t seem to explode when Canach runs near them, or directly into them.
  • Nothing new happens at any point in the battle. There should be an extra phase to any boss battle to make it more interesting.
  • The whole concept of making the boss run into defused mines is just really obscure. I had no idea what to do for most of the battle, because it just doesn’t make any sense that mines that are defused, would some how hurt him. This is just logic 101, and it is poorly conveyed to the player.
“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

If you want the light foot achievement try to find a spot with a land mine (the ones activated by skill 2) and close to a wall. Such a spot can be found at the very entrance to the final room. Lure canach to this spot, get close to the wall so that if he KD you, you won’t go into any mine.

Don’t stay in the range of the mine so that if he decides to detonate thhem you won’t be hurt and just move between your spot and the mine to damage him.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

I found Canach quite easy. Played it with Mesmer and Necro, both have no stability. I would lie if I said that the knockdown doesn’t annoy me (I don’t like stun and kd as mechanics as it takes away my ability to interact which is the very point of any game) and the Death Shroud dropping the sensor definitely needs fixing. But there are a few lying around and Canach is easy enough. As a hint, when he comes at you, use skill 5 (awkward timing) to pay him back and knock him around.
However I can see that a Guard with stabi would have an even easier time with him. I like the mine mechanics though. At least it’s not mindless Zerg.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Eh? You don’t need stabilty or blocks. Get some stun breakers which all classes have if you want to recover from kd fast. He also doesn’t do alot of damage. You just need to disarm the traps and lead him to it.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Eh? You don’t need stabilty or blocks. Get some stun breakers which all classes have if you want to recover from kd fast. He also doesn’t do alot of damage. You just need to disarm the traps and lead him to it.

You don’t even need stun breakers, his damage is pitiful – All you need to do is avoid the bombs and just keep luring him over them.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’ve done this 3 times with Warrior and all I used was “Shake it off!” to break the occasional knockdown. The rest of the time, I’d just stand there and take my punishment while waiting for the bomb trap to recharge.
Takes less than 5 minutes.

When you get to Canach himself, there’s one bomb trap just to the left of the main arena. Switch it to green with skill 2, run into its AoE circle and wait for Canach to follow you. He’ll blow up, at which point just run up against the right wall well out of the range of other traps. Wait for him to either blow his traps or recharge them and rinse/repeat.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Necro stun breaker has long CD. And as OP mentioned, the mine trigger doesnt work properly for Canach but works perfectly when a player goes near it.

Being invulnerable to anything but mines is just stupid – is Canach Achilles or something?

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Dodge the leap, no knockdown.

Being invulnerable to anything but mines is just stupid – is Canach Achilles or something?

If he took 1% normal damage, a bunch of people would start complaining that he takes too long to kill. Likewise, the chat messages are there for the same reason.

Khal Drogo.9631

If he took 1% normal damage, a bunch of people would start complaining that he takes too long to kill. Likewise, the chat messages are there for the same reason.

Is that why Anet patched condition damage? Surely the designer tested this b4 rolling the content out?

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Even worse… he’s only vulnerable to DISARMED mines. The whole fight makes no sense. But it’s kinda fun and kitten easy once you get to know the mechanics. Just make sure you disarm the mines near the entrance to the room before you walk in and you’ll be able to chain lure him into mines during pretty much the whole fight, apart from the moment that he disarms or triggers all the mines in the instance, in which case you gotta go to a place without mines and wait until you can disarm them again.

Khal Drogo.9631

Even worse… he’s only vulnerable to DISARMED mines. The whole fight makes no sense. But it’s kinda fun and kitten easy once you get to know the mechanics. Just make sure you disarm the mines near the entrance to the room before you walk in and you’ll be able to chain lure him into mines during pretty much the whole fight, apart from the moment that he disarms or triggers all the mines in the instance, in which case you gotta go to a place without mines and wait until you can disarm them again.

I found it frustrating, irritating and extremely contrived. I failed on my ranger despite getting him to 1 hp on my second try. He reset when I ran away and pet doesnt seem to want to attack him. Then I just gave in, switched to my mesmer, popped a few clones to lure him right on the mine and just spam away.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Timber Wolf.4308

Timber Wolf.4308

Hi,
I did it with a mesmer with no stability, break stun or so :/.
You just need to roll when he launches to you and and use knockback skill (skill 5) when he is going to make all mines explode and you will be fine.

And he hitted me for 600 damage so I can take some hits until I can roll again.

Or you can be next to the wall, and when he knockbacks you, you will go to the wall., just keep on the wall all the time and it will be done.

(I didn’t need all of that, just changed all the mines that my cooldown let, and break with skill 5 his “all mine explode” skill). Just needed 3 tries, the first one because I didn’t know what I had to do (that happens when you don’t read and skip all NPC speech), 2nd try was because I didn’t know that he could make all mines explode. Third time just 4 minutes and achievemetns acquired.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That’s not true. Every single attack he did caused a knockdown to me. Not just the leap, EVERY attack.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

That’s not true. Every single attack he did caused a knockdown to me. Not just the leap, EVERY attack.

Not every attack, but I agree that he has another knockback aside from the leap. Since I ignore his normal attacks (doesn’t deal damage) he sometimes gets me in the back while disarming mines. But give the guy some slack, you are basically evenly footed: the only thing he can do to damage you is throw you into the mines (and his elite skill where he pops all mines which makes both of you effectively just run around for half a minute waiting for respawn). He’s pretty harmless although he tries so hard. XD

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I did it today with my necro and got the lightfooted achievement…

Find one explosive mine near a wall. Only work with this mine and skill #2.
Make it green and lead Canach to it.. he will take quite a bit of damage. Then stand with your back to the wall and wait for the mine to respawn. Once it respawns, repeat.
It takes maybe around 15 cycles to kill him this way.

While you’re waiting for respawn, you don’t have anything to do (don’t bother using any skills except for healing and #2) so just watch Canach’s animations — they’ll tell you what he’s about to do. You can dodge his knockback attacks if you pay close attention. And even if you miss a dodge, since your back is against the wall, you won’t get knocked into a mine. (His damage is indeed pretty sad.)

One last note: make sure the mine is green before you lead Canach to it… for some reason, skill #2 occasionally doesn’t work correctly.

Actually one more note: don’t lead Canach to a green mine unless he has recently used his knockback attack… just be patient.

(edited by Lord Kuru.3685)

Khal Drogo.9631

Make it green and lead Canach to it.. he will take quite a bit of damage. Then stand with your back to the wall and wait for the mine to respawn. Once it respawns, repeat.

While you’re waiting for respawn, you don’t have anything to do (don’t bother using any skills except for healing and #2) so just watch Canach’s animations — they’ll tell you what he’s about to do. You can dodge his knockback attacks if you pay close attention. And even if you miss a dodge, since your back is against the wall, you won’t get knocked into a mine. (His damage is indeed pretty sad.)

One last note: make sure the mine is green before you lead Canach to it… for some reason, skill #2 occasionally doesn’t work correctly.

Can this be considered as an exploit? The player should be forced to run around and dodge roll mines.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Its easy with any class. You can just take the hits on a lvl 6 upscaled class no problem. Only have to be careful not to get knocked or caught in a trap when he detonates them. Completed it on a lvl 6 ele, lvl 12 mesmer and lvl 36 thief in starter gear after i discovered how easy it was.

Lord Kuru.3685

Can this be considered as an exploit? The player should be forced to run around and dodge roll mines.

I don’t see how this could be considered an exploit… nothing is being glitched. If Anet wanted to force you to run around and dodge roll mines, then they could have made the walls filled with spikes, or have the fight on a platform similar to the one in the Molten Facility. But they didn’t. You’re simply using the terrain to your advantage (and it’s not like your invulnerable or anything like that.)

Lord Kuru.3685

By the way, the first time I did this dungeon, it was on my guardian. Total faceroll.
I randomly used my blocks, stability, invulnerability to prevent knockbacks and when I did get knocked back, I used my stun breakers. Didn’t even bother to learn any of Canach’s attack animations.

The dungeon is easy if you know how to do it, but the OP is right.. it is ridiculously easy with a guardian.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Just stay at the entrance and use the two land mines there. Disarm them as soon as you can.

Posted by: Maladar.2758

Maladar.2758

Are you kidding OP? I have done this 3 times on my lvl 35 necromancer and it was very easy.

Posted by: VKP Butcher.2751

VKP Butcher.2751

Annoying as the whole ordeal is it’s certainly not hard. I’ve done it with both my ranger (no RaO so no stab there) and my guard (I run neither of the stab granting utilities). The only real benefit a guard has over anyone else is the occasional blocked attack due to aegis. Still that’s largely irrelevant due to the generally pitiful damage he puts out. Find a reg explosive mine, convert it to green when it’s red, stand with the mine between you and him, watch him slowly kill himself over and over. The only thing you ever really need to watch out for is when he hunches over in place to detonate mines and even that can easily be interrupted. It’s not a hard fight, just a horribly designed and implemented gimmick that’s easy enough to deal with even if it’s not fun.

I gave my limbs to the gods, perhaps I’ll add yours to the offering!
Killian Darkwood(Rng), Kaalia Darkheart(Guard), Avacyn Darkmind(Mes):Maguuma

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Mesmer is probably the easiest class to beat him with. Just spam clones/phantasms at him to keep him distracted while you set up the mines. When one is ready just do a focus pull.

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Engineer was easy – knockback and launch skills possible(rifle skill 4 or just the 5 of the mine disarm tool and mine, big old bomb, ram skills. Also the supply crate to distract him.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve done the solo dungeon twice on my ranger with absolutely no stability or anti-knockdown or anything. I even got the achievement for avoiding all the traps on my second play-through.

I did take advantage of the condition bug to throw some traps at him which made the fight shorter, but that’s it.

I found it easiest if you get into a corner with just one or two traps nearby and try to keep your back to the wall so he’s not knocking you into traps, but you only really need to worry if you’ve going for the no-traps achievement. The knockdown is more annoying than anything and he doesn’t do much damage so your healing skill should be able to counter him.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

I do have an 80 guardian, which I used to get the first completion (which I put my back to the wall), but the second run through used a level 8 necromancer using Signet of the Locust as my only utility, this time running around and avoiding the mines and getting the light foot achievement. It’s entirely possible to complete it without stability.

I do have to point out that the first message you see in chat is specifically the note that Canach is eluding all attacks and to use mines to defeat him. Logic dictates that you cannot get close to the mines until they’re disarmed, so players should be able to figure that out (I’m of the opinion that it’s better to point out the strategy and allow players to figure out the specifics, rather than constantly bombarding players with exact strategies at every turn). The problem is the text is only in the chat box, which most players don’t look at regularly.

(edited by Vahkris.6847)

Posted by: Paranormal Bear.2539

Paranormal Bear.2539

I do not know if you guys have ran with me before or have checked my thread out, but I wanted to broadcast here for those having trouble that I am running a special 3 minute method I developed for the community every day until June 5 from 8 am PST through 7 am PST. My famous runs help everyone score both the lightfoot AND Null achievements at the same time.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/southsun/Doing-Canach-Lair-Exp-Speed-Runs/first#content

If you are from NA, feel free to leave a private message saying you’re interested and I’ll add you to the waiting list.

If you are from EU, feel free to browse through my guide and video and ask any questions on thread, or in-game and I’ll be happy to help you.

From this post – I’ve helped 83 parties with every class/build/level/equipment combination.

Guild Master – Engineer Bear of Teddy Bears [PAWS].
Come join us in our FA Bear Invasion!
http://toygamers.forumotion.com

Posted by: Niyo.5920

Niyo.5920

Stability isn’t necessary. Done it with my main guardian without stability and with a level 3 and two of my other warriors. And I made the "no traps"-achievement on both accounts with my warriors. And I’m really not the best player.^^ Since I found out at which side near the wall it is safe enough to stand, it is easy. I have enough practice now, I think. *g*

@Paranormal Bear: If I’m correct, this thread is about the Story-Instance not Explore Mode.

Posted by: Paranormal Bear.2539

Paranormal Bear.2539

@Paranormal Bear: If I’m correct, this thread is about the Story-Instance not Explore Mode.

I read “groups” and “Light-foot” which both could be done using my 3m method and led me to believe it was more about Canach’s Lair //explorable sub-director null and not solo-instance Canach.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
If you’re having difficulty fighting Canach (regardless of class choice), just imagine yourself playing basketball.

You’re doing a 1 vs 1 basketball duel. Disarm Mine, bait Canach into mine, and then fake/dodge him to either side and run around. Careful with other mines, and notice their ranges. Disarm closest, fake and repeat. As long as you are running around paying attention to the mine ranges and letting Canach run into them exactly how you farm players in WvW; then you’ll ace it in no time.

Guild Master – Engineer Bear of Teddy Bears [PAWS].
Come join us in our FA Bear Invasion!
http://toygamers.forumotion.com

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m afraid I can’t really see where you’re coming from, Malafide. I’ve completed Canach with a Mesmer, Ranger, Elementalist, Warrior and Necromancer. Technically I would have gotten the Lightfoot achievement on 3 of them too, including the Necromancer.

Canach only has one knockback attack, his “Leap”-esque one. His normal attacks deal practically zero damage, but inflict 1 stack of Bleeding. If you’re getting knocked back with EVERY attack, it sounds like your game is bugged.

The easiest way to deal with Canach is fight him in the little antechamber right before the cavern where you first meet him. There’s an explosive mine behind you, a poison mine in the doorway, and another explosive mine just inside the main cavern. By running in between the two explosive mines, converting them, and luring Canach into them, you can defeat him with ease.

To avoid getting knocked into mines, make sure to let Canach use his Leap on you first (put your back against a wall so you don’t get knocked anywhere) before luring him into a mine. A safe spot to do this is near the 3 yellow samples in the antechamber. It’s also where I go to stand when Canach detonates his mines.

I will agree with you, however, that reading the chatbox for the cues was unintuitive and required pulling my attention away from the main screen. I would also have made Canach have more visual cues, maybe have him shout something in a speech bubble.

Posted by: Wesley.4590

Wesley.4590

As mentioned before, you really don’t need stability or stun breakers. Just find a nice spot with a trap you can easily disarm and close to a wall or at least away from other traps. I’d say any class should be able to tank his damage.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve done him on Guardian and Mesmer. Likely I should go in on all my alts, but I achieved him on Guardian and Lightfoot on Mesmer, and the 1 gold is nice but not crucial to me.

Guardian being my first, I did a lot of flailing as I learned the fight, and went down a few times. Never died, though, she’s -very- tough. In retrospect, stability sure would have helped! I didn’t know about the knockback when I started, though.

Mesmer felt like hax. Not only did I know the fight, but Canach happily charged at clones all the live-long day while I stayed in the mostly open area at the back of the cave and lined up mines for him to hit when I exploded the clones to get his attention on me. At the very end he knocked me into the fringe of a mine effect but I managed to dodge out of it in time and bam, Lightfoot.

I’m not even a very good player with high reflexes either.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

This is a pretty basic kiting fight with the need to swap mines from red to green. He’s basically no more challenging than any other hammer-wielding foe, aside from having to be walked or sat over a green mine. The "constant knockdowns" are completely avoidable. The first time I did this, I did it with a necro, so I’d wager the OP needs to work on evasion.

As for the chat cues -- sure, it’s disappointing. Just having the voice actor say a line or to have the mines themselves make an activation noise would probably have been better, but at least they decided to tell you. Most enemies don’t tell you when they’re firing off an AoE or whatever, aside from the large red circles all over the screen. Even here, Canach stops chasing you to go into an animation/pose, and the circles around the mines change to indicate where you shouldn’t be standing. I suspect there would have been a ton of threads about "waah, it’s too hard to know when the mines are going to explode" from people who couldn’t look at Canach and see him standing still/see the circles on the ground to know what was going on without the reminder. Perhaps it was even added in last minute because of that worry.

lol? If an encounter is easy enough to do standing still, I would think it would be better to ask for a more interesting encounter to make up for it being so easy than to imply people are exploiting by playing the game normally.

After the Molten Facility, it looked like to me Canach was made as an extremely easy, solo-able fight for folks who wanted to see the story/some closure on Southsun without having to group with people (since that seems to have been a problem for many?) while Null gives the rest of us a more engaging boss.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Canach was pretty easy once you get the hang of the mines. I did it on a level 80 elementalist using nothing but heals. Canach does very little damage… the mines are more dangerous. It only took a few more tries to get the lightfoot achievement. I didn’t even use walls, just dodged carefully.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Did it on Thief first try with no problem whatsoever. I really don’t understand how anyone would have trouble with a fight that is nothing but kiting and making sure that you don’t go too close to any hostile mines should you not have any stunbreakers.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Surely you kid, OP. Did it with ele, engi and guard and I found guardian the hardest to do it with.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: MibuGenjuro.2365

MibuGenjuro.2365

…are u serious? I did it with war without stability and got light foot achievement, u really don need a guard or stability, jus move around and dodge when u need to.

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

I did this on a level4 necro without any stability and didn’t get hit by a single mine. Anyone finding this encounter difficult should strongly consider changing hobbies.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I did this on a level4 necro without any stability and didn’t get hit by a single mine. Anyone finding this encounter difficult should strongly consider changing hobbies.

The OP didn’t say it was difficult. In fact, i don’t believe anyone at anytime said it was difficult. They said it was annoying.

There is a fine line between something that is challenging, and something that’s annoying. I’m unsure why so many game developers (including Anet at times) can’t differentiate between the 2. To make a boss or a task challenging is a good thing, but to make them annoying to the point nobody wants to give them a 2nd look, well that’s a problem.

Same thing applies with the mass karka spawn in southsun. There is not a lot people can do once they spawn on top of you. Full bunker builds are going down in less than 2 seconds. That’s not challenging, that’s annoying.

Posted by: Anhellbro.7210

Anhellbro.7210

im do this boss wis all classes 2 lvl ( dayli farm ) TC joking?

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It’s odd how DeadlySynz is the only one that understood my topic. Yep, I said it was annoying. Not hard, just not any fun what so ever. And it’s unintuitive too.

• It makes no sense that disarmed mines cause damage to the boss
  • No other boss requires you to look at the bottom left of the screen
  • And even if you do look at the screen, you only see the last couple of messages. Which means you can easily mistake a message from an attack he already did, for one that he might be about to do.

What is basically boils down to, is that if you want to beat this boss, you either play a guardian and run around the room as intended. Or you go stand in the corner, with your back against the wall and camp one mine only. That is not a boss fight.

Vahkris.6847

It’s odd how DeadlySynz is the only one that understood my topic. Yep, I said it was annoying. Not hard, just not any fun what so ever. And it’s unintuitive too.

• It makes no sense that disarmed mines cause damage to the boss
  • No other boss requires you to look at the bottom left of the screen
  • And even if you do look at the screen, you only see the last couple of messages. Which means you can easily mistake a message from an attack he already did, for one that he might be about to do.

What is basically boils down to, is that if you want to beat this boss, you either play a guardian and run around the room as intended. Or you go stand in the corner, with your back against the wall and camp one mine only. That is not a boss fight.

Again, you definitely do not need to be a guardian or put your back to the wall to beat Canach. I beat him as a level 8 necromancer, running around the room as intended. I never even used Death Shroud.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Again, you definitely do not need to be a guardian or put your back to the wall to beat Canach. I beat him as a level 8 necromancer, running around the room as intended. I never even used Death Shroud.

AGAIN, I didn’t say it was difficult, I said it was annoying.

Vahkris.6847

AGAIN, I didn’t say it was difficult, I said it was annoying.

Then stop saying you need to be a guardian to beat it as intended. That means you cannot do it otherwise, either because it’s too difficult or impossible. “What it boils down to” means “this is my point”. We are responding to your point, and your point is “if you want to beat this boss and run around as intended, you need to play a guardian” which is wrong.

If it’s just annoying to do it, you do not NEED to be a guardian to run around as intended. I ran around as intended as a level 8 necromancer, it wasn’t annoying at all, I think I got knocked around about 2 times and even got the Light Foot achievement.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

It took me a while and some forum reading for tips but I finally beat Canach with my Engi. No stability. Just lotsa heals and put my back to a wall for the knockbacks and didn’t wander, just used 2 mines. It was annoying having to constantly check the chat box. A really dumb mechanic. Should have been an audible cue (siren?) or a more obvious visual cue for Canach. In the end I let out a huge sigh of relief, vowing never to return for the Lightfoot chiev. Just don’t care.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)