Crabtacular Achievement

Crabtacular Achievement

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

I was hoping this update would fix this issue. Will this be addressed before the 28th or is it going to be ‘’next time’’? :/

Can we get an update on this ANet? Luck based achievements are like precursors, you aren’t really achieving anything, you are just getting lucky.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Hope.8612

Hope.8612

I got it within my first few games without trying that hard, since a lot of the time when I got the crab I would 3 right through the karkas. I don’t think it’s completely luck based but it’s a sizable part of it, since when I did get it I didn’t really do anything different than normal, it was just that everyone else got rolled that time. So I think that it would’ve been better if it was some number of times people got run over by karkas while you’re holding the crab. I’m highly doubting any change though. Good luck to everyone.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: flarosie.3264

flarosie.3264

I’m not having the greatest of luck with this achievement either. It wasn’t until 3 times actually ending the match holding the crab (that’s how I understood the description to mean it) and not earning it did I realize something was up.

That’s when I found this thread and learned about how you REALLY earn this achievement. Can’t say I’m too thrilled about it. Already 63/100 on Crabgrabber and 251/300 on Crab-Carrying Competitor.

If you have to rely on other players to face-plant for your own achievement then that seems goofy to me. How is that YOUR achievement if you have to depend on them to screw up? Meh, I’ll keep attempting it until I cap out those 2 achievements I mentioned above but I’ll probably call it a day if I haven’t lucked into it by then.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Erdem.8956

Erdem.8956

I found it funny that some people act like they get this achievement with their pro skills. I got this achievement after few hundred games. I won’t act like I lure them with my magnetic personality and got crabtacular with my pro skillz! It was all dumb-luck. You can’t get this achievement if there is even one person who knows how to dodge karkas.

You can’t “kite” or “lure” other players to karkas, they aren’t AI. If one person just stands at the corner and go afk in all your games you’re done for. Suddenly you’re not that skilled, are ya?

It should be changed as soon as possible. I really like getting achievements by working hard for them. Putting an luck based achievement is just bad design.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Finally got it when I got into a group that was just farming achievements and not actually playing the game. :P

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

This achievement is pure luck I’ll agree, but it also affects your chances what ppl you’re playing with.
I tend to stand in a corner away from the group to block this achievement if I can’t get a chance to win. Mainly because it’s the only joy I can get in this minigame

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I found it funny that some people act like they get this achievement with their pro skills. I got this achievement after few hundred games. I won’t act like I lure them with my magnetic personality and got crabtacular with my pro skillz! It was all dumb-luck. You can’t get this achievement if there is even one person who knows how to dodge karkas.

This. Of course there are certain tactics that can increase the odds, but some people are acting like they could control everyone in the map with their strategic mind when really they can’t control if someone decides to take a different direction, or is observing the karkas movement or knows about the dodge button or the rush skill (which is basically the same thing the crab carrier would use and is available to everyone).

I think I will try the strategy some others are posting about waiting till it’s too late for your continent so you find 2 or 3 other players and it’s much easier for them to whipe out or for you to convince all to cooperate. Right now there are too many players, each with his own way of thinking and players to be able to whipe all them. I think I’ve never see anyone getting it in a match I’ve played. Once or twice I saw all whiped except for 1, but that one wasn’t holding the crab. I think I don’t remember ever seeing only the carrier alive in any match.

I think the minigame itself is nice and entertaining, but the existence of this so frustrating achievement is getting into people’s head and most will have a bittersweet memory of the minigame because how they had to grind game after game praying to get lucky (and when a game designer makes a list of achievements, it’s because people will see the list and will try to complete it even if all of them aren’t needed just to complete everything the game offers).

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Captain Harlock.1568

Captain Harlock.1568

I reluctantly went to play it today for the daily and I somehow managed to get in on the second play. I played as I normally would running around kiting and dodging as best I could, and it just popped out of the blue.
I didn’t plan anything it just happened.
I threw that crab at someone and got out of there ASAP lol

But I must say it was more luck than skill.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: CMEPTb.8091

CMEPTb.8091

40+ games later… “Crabtacular!” — pure relief rather than the satisfaction of self accomplishment. Lol, I think there is more “dread” attached to this achievement than challenge. I really wanted to lure the arena in front of the Karka and get the achievement, but instead I was not paying attention behind me while running for dear life until my zoom recharged.

Luck, why you so mean to me? (though I am thankful this Dwayna-ridden achievement is done)

….

For all those having a hard time with this (Crab Toss in general) — especially PvErs who are completionists with their achievements (it would bug the Dwayna out of me if I had a permanent unfinished achievement line) — please ANet let this mini-game be a permanent fixture to Lost Shores after the Southsun story is finished.

(edited by CMEPTb.8091)

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Haros.4297

Haros.4297

I’d say this achievement involves a bit too much luck. Usually there is just one person who is behind the zerg or avoids knockdown by an inch.
They could make this achivement hard but less random if they gave an alternative way of getting it by having for example 20-25 exterminations in one game. It still takes a bit of luck but is much more based on the skill of luring others in the way of Karka repeatedly.

Elonora Aros [TxS] | Piken Square

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

Players are getting too good at staying alive. Chased this achievement for 3 hours tonight and not once did everyone go down, for me or anyone else.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Arcturus.5846

Arcturus.5846

This achievement is really kitten me off. Especially since im an OCD completionist. Please consider removing this achievement from the tab or change the requirements.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

This achievement is pure luck I’ll agree, but it also affects your chances what ppl you’re playing with.
I tend to stand in a corner away from the group to block this achievement if I can’t get a chance to win. Mainly because it’s the only joy I can get in this minigame

How deliciously spiteful of you. Come on be a friendly sport.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Lord David.3758

Lord David.3758

almost 20-30 games of trying specifically to get this and there is always at least 1 person who is afk off to the side or trying to flank and away from the karkas.
This achievement is just horrible and should of been replaced with something that requires skill

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

lol i have it so i don’t really care :P

but i also like the idea of achievements that only a few have, something to make us unique

I dont think anyone really cares about you getting it , as it’s stated this achievement requires dumb luck and since when achievements have become something mystical and rare ? Congratulations your contribution to the thread has reached the level zero.

OnTopic :This needs to be fixed it’s bugged as kitten .

play hard , go pro.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I would prefer if the Crabtacular achievement was related to how many “Top Player” awards you got.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Unwise.9164

Unwise.9164

This achievement i just luck. No any skill is required to do this…
I had a few times just very bad luck when there was just 1 up while the rest was downed.

I had alot of round where ppl that already got the achievement where just blocking it for the rest by standing in a corner.

My luck was even so bad that when i tought everyone was downed a new player just joined and ofcourse on the other side… and it was really a second of 2 max…

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

Two more hours; no luck. Finished all other achievements. Still haven’t seen all non-crab-carriers go down at once.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Got mine last night, but had to log on around midnight so the population was low. Funny story though: I got the achievement with 2 minutes in the match left. As soon as I got the achievement I threw the crab to another player and went to sleep. I still won the match. I only had 93 points.

I totally agree that this skill involves only luck.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: flarosie.3264

flarosie.3264

I managed to finally get this achievement this morning. I woke up early and got it on my 2nd run after about 30+ attempts yesterday. There were only 3 other people in the match, including myself! I’d suggest playing at off hours since it’s just too random/difficult to coordinate with 7 other people. Best of luck to everyone!

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Aziff.3248

Aziff.3248

Got it few minutes ago, just kittening pure luck and nothing more.

+1600 hours played as Asura Necromancer | Miniature Collector
Pain Killer [pK] | Blacktide EU | PVE: Corruptionmancer | PVP: Support Wellmancer

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Canguro.5768

Canguro.5768

got it my 3rd try at the game, veterans knock everyone else except 1 guy, he comes to steal the crab and instead I hit him with it (skill #1) and achievement received.

also could have gotten it a couple more times in other games, use plank, wait for a moment where everyone is gathered near the crab or crab holder, hit skill #2, get the crab and hit #1 on someone else.

Maguuma

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Just got it but was most definitely dumb luck and there were only three of us in the arena at the time. It was still hard to get and keep hold of the crab but a bit easier to see what you were doing and where you were going than when there are masses of folk playing at one time.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Finally got it. It was literally 1 vs 1, I still needed some time to get it and I think he didn’t get the achievement before more people started to appear as I got the crab most time and I think I didn’t died with him holding the crab (I was thinking about gifting him the achievement but then more people appeared, I regret hesitating on that as it was too late when I though about it and others popped and given how frustrating it was for me, if he didn’t have it, it would have been cool for him to get it on that same 1 vs 1 situation that we both were lucky to find).

Anyway just glad I could finish it, I was lucky to find a 1 vs 1 situation, but seriously this kind of achievement is really frustrating and depends on many factors not related to your own skill at all.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Zanshin.5230

Zanshin.5230

The only thing this achievement does is frustrate people. I’ve been trying to get this achievement for days with no luck. C’mon ANet, that’s just mean. Why you gotta hate on us OCD-types..?

Tyr Lantz
GW2 – Northern Shiverpeaks

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

got it tonight, picked up a conch had 3 karka’s up, got the crab, feared everyone and hit 3. they all died. got the achievement. I wouldn’t say it was easy to do, required a bit of timing but that’s why its called an achievement.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Krieg.4578

Krieg.4578

This is without a doubt the most sadistic achievement you’ve thought up yet ANET.

Some people join a game with AFK’s / one or two people and thus find it a cake walk.

Others like me can spend hours chasing this just hoping and praying that the other players are kitten enough for us to be able to outsmart / out manoeuvre them.

Who ever thought up this achievement deserves a very special place in MMO developer hell.

Nothing has made me so bitter about a video game then this badly worded poorly executed idea.

Now if you don’t mind I’m off to strangle some kittens to calm down.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Unwise.9164

Unwise.9164

Just here to say i was extremely lucky today, i got the achievement
Its still was very strange cause i didn’t believe it myself first:P
I was playing with a real life friend.

My friend just stood in a corner cause he was talking to his grilfriend and wasn’t paying attention. When i got everyone else down he just decide to leave crabtoss. but everyone was still down :P

Then the achievement popped up :P

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

After 40~ games got 4 nice guys, we helped eachother and a few drop ins get all they wanted and 2 of them even stayed past when i left to help others, some of GW seems to still be dripping into the pool of GW2~

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

after i accidentally got this achievement just now, i realize i was doing it wrong.

i.e. i got the crab, dash into big karka then lots of elimination point show up then i realize all of them must be dead when i’m holding the crab.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

It doesn’t help that from what I’ve read in map chat and /s while in the arena, most people out there do not understand how this achievement works (i.e. hold crab while everyone else is eliminated). Most people think you have to be holding it at the end of the match, and then complain that the achievement is bugged.

I hope ANet revises the achievement tooltip to make it clearer.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Tooltip is clear. People are just not understanding what they are reading. That’s all. How does last player standing translate to last player holding at end of match? It doesn’t.

You likely have a few people that think it does, they then go around saying that’s how it is done, and everyone else believing them.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The tooltip is actually not correct anymore. The Friday patch changed Crabtacular so it’s much easier to achieve now. Previously, you had to be holding the crab and be alive while every other opponent was dead. This pretty much meant everybody else needed to be steamrolled by Karka, which was next to impossible to achieve if you had someone who was AFK or a halfway decent Crab Toss opponent.

Now, all that needs to happen is you need to be holding the Crab, and you get 3 Eliminations while holding it. If you see the “<X> eliminates the opposition!” message pop up, you’ve just qualified for the Crabtacular achievement. The 3 Eliminations don’t all need to occur at the same time; I’ve gotten 2 Eliminations at once, then a third went down about 4 or 5 seconds later, and gotten the message. In all the situations I’ve gotten the message, there was at least 2 or 3 opponents still alive on the field too.

Crabtacular Achievement

Ayrilana.1396

Oh. They didn’t mention that in patch notes.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

The tooltip is actually not correct anymore. The Friday patch changed Crabtacular so it’s much easier to achieve now. Previously, you had to be holding the crab and be alive while every other opponent was dead. This pretty much meant everybody else needed to be steamrolled by Karka, which was next to impossible to achieve if you had someone who was AFK or a halfway decent Crab Toss opponent.

Now, all that needs to happen is you need to be holding the Crab, and you get 3 Eliminations while holding it. If you see the “<X> eliminates the opposition!” message pop up, you’ve just qualified for the Crabtacular achievement. The 3 Eliminations don’t all need to occur at the same time; I’ve gotten 2 Eliminations at once, then a third went down about 4 or 5 seconds later, and gotten the message. In all the situations I’ve gotten the message, there was at least 2 or 3 opponents still alive on the field too.

I’ve gotten that message many times before getting the achievement which I only got this morning. I only really started doing Crab Toss on Saturday to complete all related achievements. The round before I got it I even was top everything, which would be a much better requirement for crabtacular. As it is the achievement is pure frustration.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I too have had that message displayed multiple times in the same match but with no luck. Yikes, this Crabtacular achievement is the only one I can’t seem to get. I got Crab Toss Champion, Crabgrabber, and the other Crab Toss ones so far today in a single sitting without any problems.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You really only need 4 or 5 people to play nice. The rest can be adequately controlled using fish poles, anchors and planks. I found 6 people willing to try and get it and the people who wouldn’t play nice we just reeled or knocked into place when we needed to.

All 6 of us were able to get it in one match. You just have to play with a different set of ideas then the normal game to get it.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’ve gotten that message many times before getting the achievement which I only got this morning.

Oh? Maybe I was just very lucky and the entire enemy team got steamrolled when that message popped up and I got the achievement. Still, I’m quite sure that there was still 1 guy left alive when I turned around to look…

It may be that the message pops up when you get 3 Eliminations while holding the Crab, but you need to down a higher number, like 5 or 6, for the achievement to trigger. I’m still certain that it doesn’t need to be all at once.

In any event, I agree that getting this achievement requires a hefty dose of luck, and I’d prefer it if ANet didn’t make any more achievements like this in the future.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Tooltip is clear. People are just not understanding what they are reading. That’s all. How does last player standing translate to last player holding at end of match? It doesn’t.

You likely have a few people that think it does, they then go around saying that’s how it is done, and everyone else believing them.

In the States “last one standing” is a figure of speech used, sort of hyperbolically, to describe the winner of a competition.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I got it and I confirm its mostly luck based. You have to get lucky and be in a match with PvE players that lack skill. Good players don’t chase after the crab holder. They move to cut the holder off often times, use a fishing pole from range, and know how to dodge avoiding the Karka rolls altogether. Good luck all. Hope it gets changed for you.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

Im OCD “I want everything for free”. Please cater to my every will. Thank you…

Get over it, its an achievement for a few achievement points and nothing else. You dont need it for 25/25 backpiece. If you are so OCD that you need it then play the game and get it…

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Merse Deska.6795

Merse Deska.6795

Could always wait till most players leave so it’s only yourself there and perhaps 1-2 more people. Easiest way to get it then in my opinion compared to achieving it with a full room.

Xplodelicious [YaK]
Gandara

Crabtacular Achievement

Ayrilana.1396

In the States “last one standing” is a figure of speech used, sort of hyperbolically, to describe the winner of a competition.

There are catchphrases/sayings and then there are simple statements. The tooltip flat out said last person standing. There is already an achievement for being the winner ao logic suggests that crabtacular is for something else.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Could always wait till most players leave so it’s only yourself there and perhaps 1-2 more people. Easiest way to get it then in my opinion compared to achieving it with a full room.

This is what I had to resort to, LOL! I have to go to work early today so I am up at an extremely early hour, I logged in and jumped into a game and there were 3 others just tossing the crab to each other and taking turns getting the achievements, and I asked if I could get “Crabtacular!” and explained what they needed to do, and they agreed. I helped them get it too, of course.

Honestly, I’d have loved to get this one legitimately like I got the others, but as has been mentioned already in this thread, I noticed numerous players are playing a lot better and know to stay away from the Veteran Karka and not to chase the crab carrier running toward said Karka.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Gumby.1708

Gumby.1708

This seriously needs to change. I dont see the point how it is an achievement if it depends on luck and unawareness or lack of skill of several other players. You didnt achieve anything the other players did the work for you… and in addition to thakittens very very unlikely that will happen.

Would be nice if more people were complaining or a statement that this WILL be fixed

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Problem is, if they change it now, those who do have it will be cheated. It wouldn’t be fair for one person to have to run around for an unspecified amount of time until they can get the Karka to roll over everyone, and another player to just wait until the match ends and grab the crab.

Those two scenarios are not even remotely comparable.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Problem is, if they change it now, those who do have it will be cheated. It wouldn’t be fair for one person to have to run around for an unspecified amount of time until they can get the Karka to roll over everyone, and another player to just wait until the match ends and grab the crab.

Those two scenarios are not even remotely comparable.

They changed Toypocalypse after many people, including myself, worked hard to get it. Now, I understand why they changed Toypocalypse and was just slightly miffed when they made it easier, but only because I HAD gotten it.

I JUST got Crabtacular! today and am very happy with myself, but I didn’t get it through skill or anything. I was just playing a game and got into a corner and then started running as 3 Karka’s rolled towards me one at a time. I used both my dodges and thought to myself “I MIGHT GET IT NOW~!” then I got it and died to a Karka. It had nothing to do with Skill as I have been skillfully running towards/into Karka all week trying to get the achievement. That time was all unruly and terrible gameplay, but I got LUCKY. I don’t care if they change it to make it easier. It’s ridiculous that they make an achievement based on skill not require skill. If Crab Toss stays forever, then I wouldn’t care, but since the achievement is packaged with Secrets of Southsun, it’s most likely not a permanent activity and so the achievement should be skill based, not luck based.

ANet has proven that they can change achievements, and even though I already have this, I hope that they DO change this achievement. It’s really an unfair achievement, since you’re not achieving anything with skill. It’s like having an achievement for evading 10 attacks with one roll but only having it available in the intro tutorial.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Diaspro.8529

Diaspro.8529

I want to thank all people in Aurora Glade who cooperated to get the achievement this morning!

Rig: Intel Core i5-2400 -8GB RAM -Nvidia GTX570
EU Servers

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Kurr.4179

Kurr.4179

This achievement is a pain. I maxed crab toss related stuff (except this) on the day it was released. Tried crab toss a few more times since then.. still don’t have it.

Crabtacular Achievement

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

This thing, is a bit of a pain. You can try and lure players into the karka and hope they don’t dodge at the right time, but it’s fully luck based. Met a couple of other players who needed it, and we all came to the agreement with everyone else to try and get it. After that, we helped everyone get the winner (for daily) and then stood in a cluster smacking one another to get it, while the others would sit off to the side who have done everything to keep new people from coming in (most due to the fact that those who did were unnecessarily rude, spewing racial and homophobic epithets). After it winded down, we went back to playing. We said our good byes after finishing every single crab toss achievement, after several fun rounds of playing the game both restrictively and finally many more normally. The camaraderie that pops up in the community is just outstanding, and rarely seen it in other games outside the GW franchise, and by that I mean strangers and not those who could become or are the best of friends. Curiously wonder if perhaps there was a bit of intent to see if players would try and work together in spite of a competitive environment towards a rather difficult, luck based achievement, even with the standard intent being try your luck.

Unlike the toypocalypse which was luck based on when you got in, team structure and that you couldn’t form a team of your friends made that achievement a total pain in the butt. While you could convince and cheer one another one to try and complete with a group of friends, it’s much more difficult with strangers, as they have a less than tolerable stance with failure. Comparing the two isn’t a great argument, the biggest difference, besides the team, is the time required to get the two. You can get Crabtacular if everyone agrees in a game for everyone, while the other required…a ton of time. Also, if you screwed up with Crabtacular, the punishment wasn’t as severe, as opposed to how much time you put into Toypocalypse, get a good ways in, like 20-30 minutes, and then have one of them die due to lone wolf syndrome or tunnel vision or plain incompetence. Although they should of made it three out of five, one was way to easy, like “baby’s first tower guard defense” easy.

(edited by Acidicore.3264)