Get rid of fog and make icons stand out

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Get rid of the fog in the Canach dungeon.
After 3 hours of trying to kill Canach, I finally realized “that puff of smoke” over the mine when I use the Scan skill is a picture of what kind of mine it is.

Get rid of the fog and make the icons less transparent, and make the icons not fade in and out.

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

lorazcyk.8927

And make the icon be on top of the mine even without using Scan.
Oh wait, that would be reasonable, and Anet doesn’t do reasonable.

Please get some good game designers.

Ah, and the mine insta kills me, but to Canach it only takes 1/100000000th of his health.

I can’t see where he is because you can’t zoom out too much in this game, so how am I supposed to detonate the mine precisely when he’s on top of it? I can’t SEE when he’s on top of it!

Make that 4 hours of trying to kill him. Fun anet, fun!

Posted by: Niyo.5920

Niyo.5920

And make the icon be on top of the mine even without using Scan.
Oh wait, that would be reasonable, and Anet doesn’t do reasonable.

Oh that would be reasonable? And what would be the use of the skill “Scan” if the icon would be on top of the mines even without using the skill? Don’t you think that’s highly illogical?

Apart from this… you can make the mines green and then jump over them so that Canach runs straight into them when he runs to you. But it’s risky. Or you can make them green and push Canach into them. It’s easier than waiting for the right moment to detonate them.

lorazcyk.8927

No, it’s not illogical.
Change it to something useful, obviously.
Or make the picture stay on top of the mine after you Scan.
It’s not rocket science.

>>Apart from this… you can make the mines green and then jump over them so that Canach runs straight into them when he runs to you. But it’s risky.

No, I can’t they either go in a very large red circle, or a very large white circle, or they don’t detonate at all.

Or you can make them green and push Canach into them. It’s easier than waiting for the right moment to detonate them.

Yeah, I did that, I even immobilized him on the mine. Did nothing to him.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

All I did was make the mines green (only the explosive one does any significant damage), then walked over and past them … Canach would follow and when he stepped on the green mine, it would automatically explode … what’s this about manually detonating the mine? Did they change the mechanics?

Niyo.5920

Or you can make them green and push Canach into them. It’s easier than waiting for the right moment to detonate them.

Yeah, I did that, I even immobilized him on the mine. Did nothing to him.

Then he bugs. Go out and try again. I had this bug, too, in one round. But when it’s not buggy, he WILL get damage from the green mines when he detonates them by contact.

All I did was make the mines green (only the explosive one does any significant damage), then walked over and past them … Canach would follow and when he stepped on the green mine, it would automatically explode … what’s this about manually detonating the mine? Did they change the mechanics?

No it’s only another way. Kiel tells you that you can detonate the mines when you use the wrong skill on them. But the other way with the green mines is easier.

Lord Kuru.3685

No it’s only another way. Kiel tells you that you can detonate the mines when you use the wrong skill on them. But the other way with the green mines is easier.

Oh! I assumed when Kiel talks about using the wrong skill she’s helping you not blow yourself up rather than helping you blow Canach up.

and yeah.. making them green has got to be much easier.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The whole detector/icon part is simply a game of memory. They never change, so once you get used to it, you should be able to detonate your favorite bombs without having to look.

lorazcyk.8927

At first, like you, I thought I should make the mine green, and then when he walked over it, it would explode on him. But it never did.

Then I remembered the conversation that said “if you use the wrong skill, the mine will detonate”. So I thought I “I get it!”

Except…

I can make the mines green when walking up to him from the beginning, but once I get to his lair, it doesn’t work anymore when I use the skill to disarm it.

Then he bugs. Go out and try again. I had this bug, too, in one round. But when it’s not buggy, he WILL get damage from the green mines when he detonates them by contact.

I did.

Every time I got downed, I left the dungeon.
Every time was the same. I tried for more than 4 hours.
Yeah, husband’s going without dinner and I’m in a bad mood around him. A game is played for fun and to be in a happy mood, but this dungeon just made me want to smash someone’s face. I came in from work, happy to go and play the dungeon, in a cheerful mood happy to go do something fun, and then… this kitten.

[Lord Kuru.3685:]All I did was make the mines green (only the explosive one does any significant damage), then walked over and past them … Canach would follow and when he stepped on the green mine, it would automatically explode … what’s this about manually detonating the mine? Did they change the mechanics?

No it’s only another way. Kiel tells you that you can detonate the mines when you use the wrong skill on them. But the other way with the green mines is easier.[/quote]

Strange, it seems so random, people I asked seem to say different things.

People in my guild and in map chat were the same. They said “It’s easy, did it in 2 minutes!”, so I asked “how do you do it then?”, and they said something that’s wrong, every one said completely different things … they killed him accidentally without knowing how they did it.

That’s not how a game should be.
You should win because you played well, not because something random did the trick.

The whole detector/icon part is simply a game of memory. They never change, so once you get used to it, you should be able to detonate your favorite bombs without having to look.

Except I can hardly see the icons because they are too dim and flash in and out, and on top of that there’s a strong fog, oh, and did I mention I’m running around trying not to get blown up, and at the same time trying to blow up Canach, who I can’t even see because you can’t zoom out enough? Not only do I have to trigger the mine once,I have to trigger it twice!
No, I can’t memorize all of the icons in a situation like that.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

No, it’s not illogical.
Change it to something useful, obviously.
Or make the picture stay on top of the mine after you Scan.
It’s not rocket science.

You know what is not rocket science? Remembering a which trap does what after you scan it. You just need to scan a total of 3-6 mines and run around in circles hitting each one. Takes like 10 seconds to remember them.

>>Apart from this… you can make the mines green and then jump over them so that Canach runs straight into them when he runs to you. But it’s risky.

Depending on your class you can also try other tactics. For example, Mesmer with dodge to create an illusion trait can distract Canach with the illusion while you set up the mine and place yourself accordingly, then shatter it and he’ll run straight into the mine.

Alternatively, if you are not on a mesmer, you can set off the mine run in a circle and dodge roll through the mine and he will follow you into the explosion.

I’ve only done it on my Ranger and Mesmer, so I have no advice for other professions sorry.

Niyo.5920

Maybe your guild mates done it when conditions worked on Canach. But that has been removed cause it wasn’t intended to work.

I don’t know what’s your problem.
I’ve done it a few times and except for the one round with the bug I had no problems with it. It’s not easy, but the way with the green mines works. I uses the bomb-mine on the right side of the cave. I stand there at the wall of the cave and every time when Canach NOT detonates the mines himself I make it green by using the second skill on it and then push him into it or I run to jump over it so that he follows me and gets hit. After that I run back to my position at the wall.

lorazcyk.8927

Maybe your guild mates done it when conditions worked on Canach. But that has been removed cause it wasn’t intended to work.

I don’t know what’s your problem.
I’ve done it a few times and except for the one round with the bug I had no problems with it. It’s not easy, but the way with the green mines works. I uses the bomb-mine on the right side of the cave. I stand there at the wall of the cave and every time when Canach NOT detonates the mines himself I make it green by using the second skill on it and then push him into it or I run to jump over it so that he follows me and gets hit. After that I run back to my position at the wall.

When I’m walking up to his lair, I can do what you say.I can make mines green by using the right skill. I can make the mines blow up by using the wrong skill.
But when I go to his lair, that doesn’t work anymore. Either nothing happens, or it goes into a very very large red circle or a very very large white circle. Like you, I thought it would be a good idea to jump over red mines. I can do that, or dodge, when the circle is small. But when the circle is very large, it’s not possible.

I’ve reset many times and it’s the same thing every time.

You know what is not rocket science? Remembering a which trap does what after you scan it. You just need to scan a total of 3-6 mines and run around in circles hitting each one. Takes like 10 seconds to remember them.

You know what’s not rocket science? Reading the thread. I already explained so many times.

I already said I can’t do that because I can’t see the icons very well, to make it easy for you I even put it on the title. The fog is too strong, the icons are too dim and they fade in and out, by the time I can see one mine and remember it, the icons go away and I can’t see the others. Canach is beating me and tossing me around so that’s one other thing to pay attention to and keep track of. I can’t see or remember a picture if Kacanash kicks me around and/or gets me Downed.

I can’t remember what I can’t see. I can barely see one mine, let alone 3-6 of them.

Depending on your class you can also try other tactics. For example, Mesmer with dodge to create an illusion trait can distract Canach with the illusion while you set up the mine and place yourself accordingly, then shatter it and he’ll run straight into the mine.

Yes, I figured that, I used net turret, supply crate, battering ram, etc. When he got into the circle I would immobilize and cripple so he stayed there.

Alternatively, if you are not on a mesmer, you can set off the mine run in a circle and dodge roll through the mine and he will follow you into the explosion.

Except, remember? I can’t set off the mine. The mines in his lair don’t behave like they did in the rest of the dungeon.

I tried to keep Canach busy with Supply Crate and then I practiced many times. I take the time to check out the pictures and memorize them. So I start practicing. I see a “bomb” picture, so I use the skill with a “bomb” picture (or poison or caltrops depending on the picture). But It doesn’t go green, no matter how many times I leave the dungeon and reset it. Then I decide "well, maybe I can detonate them without making them green first. So I use the wrong skill. It doesn’t detonate. Again, I left and came in the dungeon many times.

Niyo.5920

Like you, I thought it would be a good idea to jump over red mines. I can do that, or dodge, when the circle is small. But when the circle is very large, it’s not possible.

The green mines not the red ones. I jump over them when they are green.
But that only works when Canach doesn’t use one of his mechanics. (He can detonate all of his bombs or activate them when you just disarmed them.)
Maybe you should focus on only one bomb. Like I did. It’s a lot easier.

Here is a picture I made yesterday. At Canachs current position is a mine when it’s not detonated and that is the mine I always push him into.
On the left corner of the picture there is the entrance where you come from.

Attachments:

Lord Kuru.3685

don’t try to memorize all the mines when you scan… when you scan, quickly look through the icons for a single explosive mine — go to that mine and use skill #2 to turn it green and lead Canach to it. Then scan again, and repeat. Don’t worry about the other mines as the explosive ones are real damage dealers anyway.

Of course this is assuming nothing bugs out.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

The fog looks great. Just make the icons stand out more.

lorazcyk.8927

Like you, I thought it would be a good idea to jump over red mines. I can do that, or dodge, when the circle is small. But when the circle is very large, it’s not possible.

The green mines not the red ones. I jump over them when they are green.
But that only works when Canach doesn’t use one of his mechanics. (He can detonate all of his bombs or activate them when you just disarmed them.)

I see. So… I have to jump over the green mines… are the green mines the one that explode? Do they explode while green?

But it doesn’t matter, since I can’t actually make the mines green (I can the rest of the dungeon, just not where the boss is). It never works, even before he starts detonating or activating them.

Maybe you should focus on only one bomb. Like I did. It’s a lot easier.

I tried that for the last couple hours, trying to tease him to come to me on the other side.

Here is a picture I made yesterday. At Canachs current position is a mine when it’s not detonated and that is the mine I always push him into.
On the left corner of the picture there is the entrance where you come from.

I don’t see any mines in that picture (is it blocked by Canash’s model?)
Was that a poison mine? (You were using the poison mine skill).

From my understanding you’re supposed to make a mine safe by using the skill with the matching picture, and make the mine blow up by using the wrong skill.

What you’re doing is just straight out detonating it when he’s on top of it. To detonate it, do you use the right skill (with the matching icon), or do you use the wrong skill?

don’t try to memorize all the mines when you scan… when you scan, quickly look through the icons for a single explosive mine — go to that mine and use skill #2 to turn it green and lead Canach to it. Then scan again, and repeat. Don’t worry about the other mines as the explosive ones are real damage dealers anyway.

Of course this is assuming nothing bugs out.

That’s pretty much what I did, since that icon is the easiest to see (it stands out more), I gravitated to it pretty much all the time.
I tried the others too, to see if they would work, but mostly I used the bomb mine because the icon stands out more.

The fog looks great. Just make the icons stand out more.

Yeah! I like the fog, I would hate for it to go away. I just want to be able to see the icons and memorize them.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Activate all mines at start and kit him back were you spawn,you should get 3hits and then run were npc are and wait for he reset mines and repeat,if you die it a good change he will not reset :P

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

From my understanding you’re supposed to make a mine safe by using the skill with the matching picture, and make the mine blow up by using the wrong skill.

What you’re doing is just straight out detonating it when he’s on top of it. To detonate it, do you use the right skill (with the matching icon), or do you use the wrong skill?

No, you do not use a skill to make the mines explode when he is on top of them. The mines explode AUTOMATICALLY when he walks over them, if you made them green.

The part about making the mines explode by using a wrong skill on them is a WARNING for you NOT to do that, not an instruction to do that to damage the boss.

lorazcyk.8927

The part about making the mines explode by using a wrong skill on them is a WARNING for you NOT to do that, not an instruction to do that to damage the boss.

That’s what I thought too, at first.
I didn’t even think about doing that to the boss until I got fed up of trying to make the circles green.
The mines don’t go green.
So I got fed up and instead I tried to explode them by using the wrong skill.
I even thought of making the mines green and then exploding them.

To make the mines green I use the skill that has an icon matching the icon above the mine after I scan. Right?
I do that. The mine doesn’t go green.

Activate all mines at start and kit him back were you spawn,you should get 3hits and then run were npc are and wait for he reset mines and repeat,if you die it a good change he will not reset :P

It doesn’t activate (if by activate you mean making them green).
I don’t quite understand what you’re saying on the second part:
You’re saying that when I go into his lair, I should activate (make green) the first mines in front of me. Then aggro the boss and drag him back to me so he triggers the mines and explodes. Right?
That’s what I tried to do at first. It didn’t work, so then I tried something in the middle of the room, then I tried something on the left of the room, then something on the right of the room.

After the yellow text, I wait/kite and when it’s over I try again (other side where there’s mines).

Niyo.5920

I see. So… I have to jump over the green mines… are the green mines the one that explode? Do they explode while green?

No. When they are green they only explode by direct contact. So be careful to not have any contact when you jump over the green bombs.

I don’t see any mines in that picture (is it blocked by Canash’s model?)
Was that a poison mine? (You were using the poison mine skill).

The mine I mentioned isn’t there at that moment cause it exploded just before. That’s why I wrote “on his position is a mine when it’s not exploded”. I meant there have to be one even if you can’t see it in the picture.
No it was a bomb-mine. I think at this time I tried to use the wrong skill or just accidently pressed the button of it. The picture should only show you the position of “my” mine. And my position at the wall.

Yes.

I you want to detonate it when Canach is at the mine, you have to use the wrong skill. But it’s easier to use the right skill to make the bomb safe and then push Canach at the bomb so that he detonates the bomb by contact.

Lord Kuru.3685

I don’t believe green mines hurt the player at all under any circumstances.

Niyo.5920

You can try to find out.
I think I was hurt by one when I hit it, but maybe Canach activated it again. Don’t exactly know.
But they WILL hurt Canach and that’s the goal of the instance.

Lord Kuru.3685

You can try to find out.
I think I was hurt by one when I hit it, but maybe Canach activated it again. Don’t exactly know.
But they WILL hurt Canach and that’s the goal of the instance.

I just tried it.. green mines will not hurt you… you can touch them all you like.

Niyo.5920

I just tried it.. green mines will not hurt you… you can touch them all you like.

Good to know. Thanks.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Lora, are you trying to use the Disarm skills on the mines while they’re yellow? If so, they will not work. Here’s how the sequence is supposed to work:

1. Use skill #1 (Detect)
2. Observe the icon over the mine (this can be a bit tricky due to the fog, but the mine types never change when you enter the dungeon, so after a while you will know exactly which mine is which type)
3. Use the appropriate skill on the mine to disarm it. (Note that you can only disarm mines while they are red. Trying to disarm a mine while it is yellow, usually after Canach resets them, does nothing.)
4. Once the mine is green, you can lure Canach into it to damage him. The explosive mines do the most damage; poison and caltrop mines are fairly useless in this regard.

For the fight with Canach, things get shaken up a bit when he uses his special skills:

1. When you see the announcement that Canach is detonating his mines, go to a safe spot far away from any mines. The explosive radius of the mines is much larger than the trigger radius, so you can be caught unawares.

You can also use skill #5 to interrupt Canach by knocking him back.

2. When Canach re-arms his mines, this turns all of the mines yellow, and then to red after about 3 seconds. Be careful not to hang around even green mines for this exact reason, because it can trigger and detonate without much warning.

3. If you’re after the Lightfoot achievement, to avoid getting knocked into mines, position yourself with your back against a wall, so that Canach’s attacks will just knock you back into the wall. Make sure to only lure Canach to a mine after he’s used this attack.