IMO Toss Crab minigame isn't fun!

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Though I would like to thank everyone in this random pug for not getting greedy and helping everyone get the achievements

At least you got the achievement. Unfortunately this rings of Ilum on SWTOR during initial launch. Boy was that a fiasco.

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Sounds like the OP got pinched and couldn’t find an argument to pin the blame on the crabs themselves and then here we are.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Crab Toss: you enter, have no idea what’s it about, everybody is an enemy, 3 karkas roll around killing you instantly. you’re constantly knocked down, dazed or whatever.
a lot less fun than the keg toss.
for the second permanent activity (or did I misunderstand?) it’s really bad. had they just reskinned the snowball mayhem or maybe the reapers rumble this could’ve been a lot of fun. the mechanics of the Crab Toss are really not fun at all.

All in all I don’t really care about crab toss as long as they finally find a way for groups to enjoy these activities together/against each others. they really need to update their PvP-Instance system to allow groups to enter etc. wouldn’t affect crab toss as it’s not a group game, but as I said, not really my game anyway.

tl;dr: Crab Toss is the worst activity (permanent or event related) so far. others were a lot better designed. mainly because of constant CC. not being able to enter as a group makes it even worse (which affects all activities though)

Crab toss is not a permanent mini-game/content, been confirmed by a dev already.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It’s laughably bad, so much so I don’t believe anet made it.

Somehow addictive tho…..

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

Crab toss is funny as hell especially when you get barrel roll’d
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIs9-tg1z2g

I was a little frustrated for a bit but you get over it

Posted by: Notious.5408

Notious.5408

My first rage: I hate crab toss and I don’t seem to be able to find ppl to agree to help get the achievement. So basically ppl will need to be organized to get the achievement and not play as intended. Please ANET, this is an impossible task, so fix it or give the achievement as free. I am also playing in ASIA which doesn’t help being 1000000 miles away from the server where ppl are always a sec ahead of me in this game. Grrrrrr………

Posted by: ajm.2931

ajm.2931

I love the game, loved prior mini events. I actually really enjoy SouthSun, and the story. I sPvP some (loose but have fun) WvW a lot, and have done all the PvE content I can find. love Jumping puzzles, multiple characters at 80, etc.

I say all that, to illustrate, that I have experienced a wide array of GW2 content. There is content I don’t really enjoy, but this is the only thing that has made me have to log off out of frustration. I just don’t get any enjoyment out of it.

That being said, I’m ok with it being in the game. Not everything is going to please everybody. What I like about GW2 is the vast array of different play styles and content. I know I won’t get these achievements, and that’s ok. Despite my completionism, achievement aren’t meant to be a “must have all” and I’m ok with that.

Obic – Tarnished Coast
Yak Cultist and follower of the Great Golem God

Posted by: Apiar.7162

Apiar.7162

I can’t believe all the crying on here. LOL This game is fun. When I started playing I was with the same people over and over in my matches. The same guy kept destroying us. After four matches and looking at every crate item, I quit chasing him like everyone else and focused on the crates. I love the plank, leap and steal. Fishing pole, pull them back away from the zerg. Guess what after I quit chasing and used the crate items, I easily won and got the achievement for winning. You really don’t have to be good, you have to be strategic. I still sit there and laugh my kitten off when everyone gets rolled. You can rack up a lot of points just for stealing the crab!

Posted by: Shadowmak.2073

Shadowmak.2073

IMO this game is fun x) if you don’t like it don’t play it

Posted by: Phoenix.5047

Phoenix.5047

I should speak up here, I absolutely loved this mini-game, good work A-net! Sure, it was a tad laggy during the first few hours, but it was very fun. Within a couple of games I got the hang of it, and I managed to stay on top until I got every single Crab-toss related achievement. All I can really say is it’s all about strategy, and fun! I only wish Keg Brawl came with a chest at the end, too. But seriously, not digging the Crab-Toss bashing going on across the forums. It’s a great game, and I can’t wait to see more work done on mini-games within the game world. Thanks A-net!

Posted by: Hannibal.4608

Hannibal.4608

If you are having problems with the lag on servers.
Just guest on another Low server. I met plenty of people doing that today.

—You need to be NEET to be LEET—

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

Yup, this one just isn’t for me. The constant knockdown, snare (from the hatchlings), fear (from the conch), lag, etc made me rage and smash a mouse (I’m female IRL). I think the worst part is one of my biggest pet peeves about this game – everything relies on the F key. Pick up the karka? F key. Smash a box? Also F key. Several times now while smashing my F key for the karka I have instead smashed a box.

I’ve enjoyed all the mini games thus far in GW2, but this one isn’t fun for me. I’m getting the achievements and never going back.

You know the dragon festival is coming in next month. Roller beetles…. ?

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Posted by: Payne.1250

Payne.1250

I agree, this mini-game is not fun, only rage for me
Lag, luck, and the chest at the end is pathetic …

I would prefer a little survival game; all the group is transformed in the same monster (crab, turtle …), and more we survive, more we are rewarded !

Toss crab definitely not for me ….

[TSS] Tequatl Slayer Squad

#TeamAmber

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

The game is based on seeing where the crab is. If you’ve just a bit of lag, you can’t see when it falls. Thus making it impossible to play successfully.
I’ve already given up on doing achievements. I’ll never win.

it’s more about stealing the crab than picking it up.
1. Get the rope thing from one of the supply boxes
2. right after the crab carrier uses his dash thing and still is unable to move use it
3. profit
While dashing you’re immune to similar things though so be careful not to use it too early
Either that or chase after them and punch it out.

Posted by: SwashbucklerXX.4328

SwashbucklerXX.4328

The lag in crab toss is weird. I have zero lag when playing the game normally, was experiencing no lag on Southsun proper even with 20+ players fighting swarms of karka, yet hop into Crab Toss and I was rubber banding all over the place. It certainly made the game unenjoyable for me. (And for the person wondering how people were getting rolled by the veterans, lag and the post-cast from dash are the two reasons.)

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I did so badly in my last match that after the timer finished the rest of the people in the instance started to beat me up

If you’re in the match from the beginning its fun, but if you join halfway through then- eh.

Posted by: kipz.8701

kipz.8701

Its like the devs have a raging passion for CC and immobilisation.

Knockdowns aren’t fun.
Not being able to control your toon isn’t fun.
Putting them together and calling it a game isn’t good design thinking imho.

Reverse the game and make it like hot potato, then maybe it could be fun, but right now it’s not.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I see a lot of complaining about karkas and knockdowns. Those are the whole fun of this minigame. If you removed the karkas it would be very boring. People who want this didn’t understand what it’s about, and if you really hate it, then don’t play it, nobody forces you to AND it’s not needed for any reward.

Posted by: Constantine.7812

Constantine.7812

wow i was holding karka for 3 seconds while 7 other players and 3 karkas were rolling on my face woooow what a fun time that was. omg worst content ever.

Posted by: Breytes.6901

Breytes.6901

This mini game reminds me of the game mode Odd Ball from Halo. I was never a great solo player in moshpit style games so I steered away from them, this crabtoss is exactly that a moshpit. This game appears to be designed to scratch that “me against everyone” itch for those that enjoy that type of play and I am fine with it.

As to having difficult to acquire achievements tied to it, so what? It does rankle me a bit to have achievements that I will never get but I also do not do s/tPvP and won’t be getting those points either. The difficulty/luck of getting the achievements should be half the fun of playing the game.

Again using Halo as an example, there was an achievement to kill 3 or 5 guys with a single spartan laser shot, for those that were great at the game it was easy peasy, for all others well…..I remember hundreds of messages about achievement boosting lobbies when I played Halo. Some achievements need to be that darn hard to make it worth while to go after and there is nothing wrong with that. I think Anet has put together a nice addition to the game in this little arena, it does not appeal to me and that is fine not everything they add to the game has to be something I am drooling like an idiot to be a part of.

Breytes Rondoure 80 Guardian of the Blood Legion

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I’m not crazy about the mini-game.

Particularly the randomness is just too much. There’s no slowdown on the person with the crab so instead of being able to close in, you’re just following them. Chasing them with your run skill is nearly impossible since it overshoots no matter how you use it. (why is it a hold to charge skill when it does the same charge no matter if you just tap it?) You need items to succeed but they’re random, so probably the best strategy is to get lucky shadowing on other people’s heels and stealing the crab after they do the work.

What’s sad is I love Keg Brawl. I think that is really well constructed. This just feels like playing Keg Brawl on an oil slick with crazy people.

Posted by: Alderno.7649

Alderno.7649

The mini-game is ok. I can see how somebody playing it for the first time may not enjoy it right away, but if you honestly take it for what it is, a small game inside of a game, it really isn’t that bad. I agree with some of the above posters: it gets more fun as you play it.

It also reminds me of a game I used to play with my friends in recess: “Smear the kitten.” So I appreciate the nostalgia there, too. (Granted, we were not attacked by tiny and gigantic crab creatures on the schoolyard!)

As usual, thanks for the new content, Anet, it’s a lot of fun. I hope the people determined to find fault with everything don’t get you down. I’m looking forward to what happens next!

Posted by: Torca.5162

Torca.5162

Maybe for future reference – dont put an achievement for WINNING a mini-game. Why am I saying this? Cause for the 1st time I started playing Crab toss (and got the champion achievement due to a bug that occured in the game) I am having fun cause there is no NEED for me to be my utmost best and I can just lazy about enjoying the game as just to have another exp and not get angry when I get rubberband just as I am about to grab the crab or someone grabs it from me (not using fishpole) when I am quite a ways away from him

Posted by: Ultra Magnus X.3078

Ultra Magnus X.3078

Cant stand the game I hope anet is paying attention to the desires of players. A lot of people completely dislike pvp play…. don’t force it down peoples throughts. In all the time I have played mmo’s where they had mini games this is one of the most aggravating. You find people all over that simply hate this game, Im definetly not alone. I mean the worst part to me is that this has been included in the daily’s. If not for this I could forget it exsists…….. Please take a serious poll on this and find out what your customers really want.

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

this is the most annoying thing anet has done.. really frustrating mini game.. and required for half of the achievments.. i cant believe people enjoy.. beign taken down endless time.. and 7 or 8 people trying to screw you

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I must agree. This is my least favorite thing they’ve added as far as events. Granted, I feel like I have to do it for the achievements, yet I’ve stalled, stalled, stalled because of my dislike for this mini-game.

Gone to Reddit.