IMO Toss Crab minigame isn't fun!

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Sorry but I must say that. Its annoying and frustrating. Lags, bugs and incredibly badly designed concept. After awesomness of whole rest of game is this big shame.

This whole living story every month idea is bad – you start doing same mistake as other companies – pushing out unfinished content as fast as possible. Yes some people will be happy but more will angry and frustrated.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Did you also create topics like “halloween jp ISNT fun” or the successful follow up “wintersday jp ISNT fun”

I mean to criticizing something is cool and stuff but what you are doing right now is only saying that is bad.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Zyphent.2967

Zyphent.2967

Sorry I dont see how its unfinished, I just got done playing it for like 3 hours and had a blast, no lag, no annoyance, and no bugs that I noticed, aside from the Hatchlings chasing you after you dont have the crab, which has already been acknowledged by the Devs.

Ignore the OP ANet, I love Crab Toss!

The beauty of content like this is you’re not forced to play it at all. Don’t like it? Don’t play it, theres plenty else to do in the game. But don’t go around speaking for the whole playerbase saying the game is unfun and broken.

(edited by Zyphent.2967)

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

This is my first critique if I remember right. Other events even Molten Facility was fun. This isnt.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Crab toss is awesome, only thing that could be changed is how after you use the rush skill, there’s an aftercast of like 1,5 second where you can’t move/use skills.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Lag’s my main problem with it (after the end of my last round I got kicked to Heart of the Mists o.0). Sure the rolling karka and whatnot are annoying, but they apply to everyone.

Took me a little more than a half hour to get the achievements, and for the last few rounds I was sometimes doubling the combined score of everyone else. I know it was hell for a lot of people (I was starting to hate it a bit early on), but it gets quite simple and fun (minus stunlock) once you know what’s going on.

Really only one strategy to win it. Gotta go fast :V)

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Tenshin.2475

Tenshin.2475

I haven’t raged at a game in a while. The urge to shatter my mouse against the wall was barely avoided.

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

The game is based on seeing where the crab is. If you’ve just a bit of lag, you can’t see when it falls. Thus making it impossible to play successfully.
I’ve already given up on doing achievements. I’ll never win.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

The game is based on seeing where the crab is. If you’ve just a bit of lag, you can’t see when it falls. Thus making it impossible to play successfully.

It’s less about picking the crab up and more about playing keep-away when you do get it.

I usually just run up behind the person going to pick it up and jack it the millisecond they stoop.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: artichexx.5324

artichexx.5324

This was probably one of the least enjoyable mini games for me. The lag problems me and like 3 other players were getting made it hard to score some points lol.

But at least I got my achievements so I can’t hate on it too much. :P

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I love this crab tossing.

WINNING.

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

It’s less about picking the crab up and more about playing keep-away when you do get it.

I usually just run up behind the person going to pick it up and jack it the millisecond they stoop.

Yeah, but his/her point stays valid – if You are laggy, You can’t pick crab or steal crab. Without one, You can’t play keep-away (as Yuo called it).
Heh and it is laggy as hell. Come on – my computer is not some super rocket, but I can play almost everywhere on mid settings with nothing more than minor lags. WvW, Claw of Jormag, any bigger event – name it. Crab tossing is just tossing with my PC, because there is no way, that I can have lags like this all the time. Gimme a break – I did Mad Kings Clock tower with eyes closed. And I should be able to win this freaking game at least once per day – that’s why it’s in daily, isn’t it? And not being able to do a kitten thing inside, is frustrating.
I’m glad that it works for some people, but for me, it’s a peak of frustration. God bless Anet, that it’s the only thing in new living story, that is done below any possible understandable level. 3 hours of trying, several disconnections, dozen of bugs, one won game that didn’t get me achievement (hooray for that) and I have enough. Instead of having fun with new content, I’m angry for one stupid poorly designed element, that is needed to get all achievements. Brilliant idea indeed.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

The achievement is a bit hard considering the lag fest though, so i’ll give this thread a somewhat valid point.

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

I think it’s a poor game mechanic. Pretty boring. And not even “tossing” or is my dictionary wrong? I’m not native english but I thought “toss” meant something like"throw" not “running around with”.

The free for all and zerging make it boring cause there is not much strategy or other stuff possible. If I needed to compare it to Keg Brawl I’d say Keg Brawl is at least 10 times more fun.

I’m glad Crab Toss won’t stay permanently(from the achievements you can say for 100 percent sure that it is only temporarily in game otherwise they would have made an extra achievement category and not put it with the other stuff you can only do temporary).

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

let’s see:
Keg Toss (the very first activity):
interesting game design, the endless knockdowns are incredibly annoying (especially as your dodges are highly limited). generally fun idea though, if you could enter with premade teams (ie. guild internal game etc) it could be fun. current state leaves much to be desired though.

Halloween:
Clocktower: extremely challenging but for JP fans rather fun
Realm of the Mad King: interesting, good loot and fun for the short while it lasted
Reaper’s Rumble: very entertaining pvp-like game
Lunatic Inquisition: fun tag-game

Wintersday:
Bell Choir: my second favourite activity so far, just because it’s so different and new and fun
Winter Wonderland: great JP, lot easier than the clocktower for those who had trouble with it. Skritt AoEs were a bit annoying though.
Snowball Mayhem: really fun pvp game
Toypocalypse: cool tower defense spin, lot’s of fun to play a few times.

Flame&Frost:
no activities so not comparable

Super Adventure Box:
my favourite addition so far. extremely fun with rather hard to earn achievements which gave a title. sure dulfy.net made it a lot easier, but still. near perfect execution (some jumps were too far imho).

Crab Toss: you enter, have no idea what’s it about, everybody is an enemy, 3 karkas roll around killing you instantly. you’re constantly knocked down, dazed or whatever.
a lot less fun than the keg toss.
for the second permanent activity (or did I misunderstand?) it’s really bad. had they just reskinned the snowball mayhem or maybe the reapers rumble this could’ve been a lot of fun. the mechanics of the Crab Toss are really not fun at all.

All in all I don’t really care about crab toss as long as they finally find a way for groups to enjoy these activities together/against each others. they really need to update their PvP-Instance system to allow groups to enter etc. wouldn’t affect crab toss as it’s not a group game, but as I said, not really my game anyway.

tl;dr: Crab Toss is the worst activity (permanent or event related) so far. others were a lot better designed. mainly because of constant CC. not being able to enter as a group makes it even worse (which affects all activities though)

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Who’s idea was to put 3 karka veterans, rolling arround every 2 seconds, getting you killed and looking at your screen for 10+ seconds…

It makes you rage sometimes

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Darver.8417

Darver.8417

Title said all.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

WINNING.

I think I was just in a game with you. The only people who do seem to like it are those with a secret formula to keep away from people as much as possible. You had a 200 or so lead over the second place. Something I don’t understand though is that my charge forward stops at about half way through the skill animation, then I stand there, doing nothing, for 2 seconds. Easily enough time for anyone to take the crab from me.

I assume that endurance buffing traits help.

My question is: is there some kind of trick to using the charge forward skill? Why is mine just “stopping”. For me, it’s sucky. People who can do it seem to love it. I will try to grind out the achievements but eh, I might not be able to stand it enough for that, especially if my charge forward skill is never “fixed”.

Who’s idea was to put 3 karka veterans, rolling arround every 2 seconds, getting you killed and looking at your screen for 10+ seconds…

Same person who thought a “dumb luck” achievement would also be super fun!

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

WINNING.

I think I was just in a game with you. The only people who do seem to like it are those with a secret formula to keep away from people as much as possible. You had a 200 or so lead over the second place. Something I don’t understand though is that my charge forward stops at about half way through the skill animation, then I stand there, doing nothing, for 2 seconds. Easily enough time for anyone to take the crab from me.

My question is: is there some kind of trick to using the charge forward skill? Why is mine just “stopping”. For me, it’s sucky. People who can do it seem to love it. I will try to grind out the achievements but eh, I might not be able to stand it enough for that, especially if my charge forward skill is never “fixed”.

The ‘run away’ skill is a skill you hold down, the longer you hold it down, the longer you will run. Press the skill, and hold, release at any moment and your character will slow down, and then stand still for a second.

I do not play a profession with endurance regeneration trait, if you don’t count the Guardian trait which gives me vigor if I crit something.

Posted by: DaWolv.8503

DaWolv.8503

WINNING.

For me its all of the above, but generally the mega imprecise movement.
For something like this to work your engine needs to allow for precise tossing, movement and skill mechanics.
Sometimes when one guy is holding the crab, 4 people punch him:
I get a “Crab Grab +3” on my screen, yet I never see myself holding it, because someone else’s punch grabbed it from me even before the skillbar changed.
Then the whole targeting issue and the super annoying Charge ability make this horrible to me.
As a player who is used to FPS mostly, this kind of minigame is terrible.
I can’t be bothered to play it anymore.

Posted by: Vetrie.7804

Vetrie.7804

First, there is a bug with dash. When i use it , my charactewr rushes only 1/3 of distance than it stops. Therefore I cant win a single match. GG

Achievement Crabtacular is bugged too. Didint get it after I hold the crab last .

ArenaNet I am very dissapointed…. Next time polish your new content before bringing it ou

Posted by: Jam.4521

Jam.4521

The rush is a hold duration button, longer you hold it the further you run.

Though I don’t think its working very well.

BOOM

Posted by: Birdo.1768

Birdo.1768

crabtacular is not bugged, you get it from holding the crab(at any point during the match) and everyone goes down. so hold the crab and let everyone in the match get smushed from the karka roll. its just pure luck, it took me close to 10 matches to finally win by some miracle >.>
and that dash doesnt help to much for chasing ppl down, better for escaping.

Viewtiful Birdo : Guardian

Posted by: DaWolv.8503

DaWolv.8503

Escaping also doesn’t work, because of the kitten aftercast that looks you in place afterwards.
And theres no way to determine the distance you will go, as you generally keep running for about a second after releasing the button.

In general the lack of precise movement makes this unplayable, at least for me

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Crab Toss: you enter, have no idea what’s it about, everybody is an enemy, 3 karkas roll around killing you instantly. you’re constantly knocked down, dazed or whatever.
for the second permanent activity (or did I misunderstand?) it’s really bad. had they just reskinned the snowball mayhem or maybe the reapers rumble this could’ve been a lot of fun. the mechanics of the Crab Toss are really not fun at all.

All in all I don’t really care about crab toss as long as they finally find a way for groups to enjoy these activities together/against each others. they really need to update their PvP-Instance system to allow groups to enter etc. wouldn’t affect crab toss as it’s not a group game, but as I said, not really my game anyway.

tl;dr: Crab Toss is the worst activity (permanent or event related) so far. others were a lot better designed. mainly because of constant CC. not being able to enter as a group makes it even worse (which affects all activities though)

This. I went in and it took me 2 full rounds to even understand what the heck is going on. In the 3 rounds I played I managed to hold a crab once for maybe 2 seconds, because I was lagging so hard that I could only ever do anything with a 1 second delay. But even without lag, the objective isn’t fun at all. You take a crab and run with while absolutely everything on the map can CC the ever living crap out of you.

I ended my third round by specifically targeting one player, knocking him down everytime I could, just to make his experience miserable. Why? Because I was frustrated and had nothing else to do, getting the crab was an impossible task, so I ensured atelast one other person wouldn’t get it too. Of course that was a horrible thing to do and I normally never grief, but the game’s mechanics pretty much led me into doing this, simply for the fact that I couldn’t do anything else.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Posted by: Preacher.9018

Preacher.9018

Agree that its not fun. Same as Kegbrawl. Simply does not feel fluid, interesting and only like a chore to get the achivement. The idea is nice, but, well – for me at least, its not appealing.

Guess its nice to have more minigames, but its nothing compared to how awesome was SAB for example.

Its free however, so i see no reason to complain. Some people will do it (however i believe, just like Keg Toss, after need to grind it for achivement will be gone, it`ll be empty too), so hate it. But thats some new content, so even if you only spent 5 minutes there, its good.

http://www.pevepe.net/ – Seafarers Rest Server community website

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

The ‘run away’ skill is a skill you hold down, the longer you hold it down, the longer you will run. Press the skill, and hold, release at any moment and your character will slow down, and then stand still for a second.

Truly a “d’oh” moment. Thanks for the explanation!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

let’s see:
interesting game design, the endless knockdowns are incredibly annoying (especially as your dodges are highly limited). generally fun idea though, if you could enter with premade teams (ie. guild internal game etc) it could be fun. current state leaves much to be desired though.

Halloween:
Realm of the Mad King: interesting, good loot and fun for the short while it lasted

Wintersday:
Bell Choir: my second favourite activity so far, just because it’s so different and new and fun
Winter Wonderland: great JP, lot easier than the clocktower for those who had trouble with it. Skritt AoEs were a bit annoying though.

Flame&Frost:

Super Adventure Box:
my favourite addition so far. extremely fun with rather hard to earn achievements which gave a title. sure dulfy.net made it a lot easier, but still. near perfect execution (some jumps were too far imho).

I agree with all of this.

Posted by: Captain Harlock.1568

Captain Harlock.1568

The most annoying achievement is Crabtacular. That achievement is more luck based than anything, especially with a full team running all over.

Posted by: Shadestrike.4372

Shadestrike.4372

Whoever decided throwing in KARKA of all things as well needs to be locked in a room with a tiger.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

My only problem with it is insane lag. The same kind of lag and freezing I would get prior to disconnect, so that can bother yes

Posted by: Bevian.8973

Bevian.8973

I have no problems with the mini-game. In fact, I quite enjoy it. Those complaining about not knowing what to do should wait a moment when they join and actually read the pop up box that appears. I would also recommend you take time to hover over your skill bar to see what everything does since it clearly states rush is a hold down skill.
Lag hasn’t been an issue for me since the patch hotfix nor is there any siginificant amount of skill lag.
As to people raging about the karkas, perhaps spend a second or two actually looking at the surroundings before blindly rushing after the crab – it’s a tactic people use against you. Despite what people will say, I find that this game is highly enjoyable and tactical as well – if you are running with many hatchlings behind you and out of dodge, consider passing the crab to the player behind you, the knockdown will stun them for a couple of seconds and the hatchlings will do the rest of the work or perhaps pass it to the player with the least score.
The whole point of this minigame is a chaotic melee where you have to think fast and try and use whatever is at your disposal to ensure you win. It’s not meant to be a polished, fluid game – it’s a rough, unorganised game that, thematically, fits in perfectly.

[Dius] Corethiel – Support Elementalist

Posted by: pileofkyle.3769

pileofkyle.3769

I agree with the OP, this mini-game is not fun. It’s almost rage inducing. It’s like every 5 seconds im getting slowed down or can’t move. Yeah, I know…. “Dodge!” or “Stay away from crabs!” Keeping track of the tiny crabs and orientation of the karkas is not really doable, especially with the amount of ground clutter and zoom limitations. It just seems like a zerg fest where everyone gets knocked down all the time. Not fun at all.

(edited by pileofkyle.3769)

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I think that if it weren’t for the stupid achievements, people wouldn’t play this poorly designed mini game. I think Anet needs to consider this when they make mini games, are we making this as a chore for the players or will players actually enjoy playing this game without the reward of achievement points?

Posted by: Elodie.3850

Elodie.3850

I came in last place with 0 points but I had a blast.

I guess it all just depends on how competitive you are. :x I thought it was pretty funny and was just laughing.. xD

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I beg to differ.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yea I think this is actually one of the best events they’ve done. It’s well explained, there are new skins, achievements, title, mini-game, excuse to roam a less-visited zone…The crab toss has a lag issue, I’ll admit. But it is fun. If you like keg brawl, you’ll like this.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

I personally did not enjoy the crab toss. Tried it for an hour in an attempt to get the achievements for the event, but eventually got frustrated and just logged. There was some lag but not a lot. Honestly I was just more disappointed in the fact its basically a PvP free for all, with karkas stomping you. I guess I would’ve had more fun if I was winning? I was expecting some sort of crab horseshoe/shuffleboard strategy game.

Still, I think you’re going to see more angry people popping up here due to the fact there is an achievement attached to actually winning the game. My guess is a lot of players will be unable to accomplish this. Perhaps the achievement could be set around just playing a certain number of games, or holding onto the grab for x seconds.

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

i beg to differ.

Posted by: DamDam.9746

DamDam.9746

let’s see:

Halloween:

Wintersday:

Flame&Frost:

Super Adventure Box:

I agree with all of this.

I aggre with all of this too. This minigame must be some dev joke. Better be, since it’s sort of a very poor copy of Keg Brawl.

Another bling bling announce to hide the lack of content, maybe ?

But hey, Anet, if you want the players to have fun, just make minigames like the wintersday minigames or the SAB permanent. Those were just awesome. And were some means to avoid boredom at lvl 80.

Just for you to know, here are the appoximate time i played these minigames :

Keg Brawl : 30 min or so. Not my type of minigame. Quickly bored, but had fun for 15-20 minutes.

Halloween “pumpkin game”: 6 or 7 hours.
I actually had a lot of fun playing this game. very team oriented game with a lot of ways to help the team (capture pumpkin, attack, defend, kill/protect pumkin carriers). I miss this minigame.

Other halloween minigames : didn’t played much so I don’t have any advice on it.

Wintersday Choir Bell game : 60 hours or so, maybe a lot more
BEST MINIGAME EVER ! So different (in the good kind) of usual minigames. Most of my Wintersday time was there. I really miss this minigame.

Wintersday Jumping Puzzle : 10-12 hours i suppose
A lot of fun playing it. With good mechanisms. Not too hard and not too easy.

Wintersday PvP game : didn’t play much, but seems to be a lot of fun for those who like this type of games. Could have played this more if the 2 others were not so fun. ^^

Super Adventure Box : more than 50 hours
Awesome minigame. Could have been my favorite minigame if there’s wasn’t the Choir Bell game.

Crab Toss : 3 or 4 minutes.
Is this kitten really a minigame, or is it a joke ? Bored in 2 minutes. Left after 3 or 4.

In my opinion, it’s a waste to have removed some of the minigames (the SAB, the wintersday ones and some of the halloween ones). They were really fun and could make players happy after some dungeons, farming, day of work etc by their different approach. Actually they were (for most of them) better than some parts of the open world content or the F&F joke.

(edited by DamDam.9746)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

The only flaw with the mini game is the lag, everything else was easy to figure out within…..what…10 seconds?

Also I’m not sure how people keep getting ran over by the karka, I find them easy to avoid.

Also: Pro tip, if you don’t have the crab, find the fishing pole. Either swipe it from someone or break crates till it drops.

Posted by: Ausar.8567

Ausar.8567

Other than the lag, it seems like a lot of people are only upset because they aren’t winning. Join a game and read all the abilities.

1. The game requires patience. Just because you are 50 points behind the leader doesn’t mean you still can’t win.

2. Break the crates in the room. The fishing pole, the egg, and the anchor are all great items to pick up.

3. Anticipate where people are running to. If you are holding the crab, save full endurance for after your run skill. Run, then dodge the people that used their run skill to catch up.

4. Use the crab offensively. Throw the crab into the middle of the group and watch the Karkas run them over.

Ausar, Crab Toss Champion

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

I agree 100%. Played it for 1 hour. That lag was so bad you can barely move. The person with out lag is the one who wins. Also to top it all off the op is right. Crab Toss is just not fun. Its more of a annoying bush to try and get an achievement that makes you want to stop playing the game after you do it.

Luthan.5236

Anyone knows how long you need to try until you can “win” to get the achievement? Seems a lot of training and playing for hours is necessary.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I love it! This is like Keg Brawling, but smaller arena and more fun.
Sure they could tone down the amount of Vet Karka on the field but other than that I wish this was permanent.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

→As previously stated, running skill gives you more distance the more you push the skill activation button… I too found something iffy when 1-2 people seemed to run 3 times farther then I, using the same skill (and they were usually the winner/2nd place), until I took the time to read what skills actually do xD
→Using items from crates can be very beneficial, take your time to familiarize yourself with what each item does
→Pick up stone skill can help you, or others, take out that nasty player that nobody can catch.. tossing stone has 600 range and AFAIK dazes for 2 seconds
→As far as “lag” goes, the issue with unresponsiveness after using running skill, issue with running after trying to pick up something while being dazed etc. are all known issues that have been there since the release, best I can offer is to get accustomed to them and try not to lose too much nerves when something like that screws your game up
→Getting Crabtacular achievement is not hard once you grow accustomed to the game. The trick is to keep the zerg together and focused on you while you focus on where the karkas are.. not to mention that this is the best way to ensure you are victorious xD

I know I can’t change anyone’s mind about the minigame, but I do hope these tips at least prove themselves useful for anyone having difficulty obtaining achievements.

Luthan.5236

What if not everyone in the zerg is running after you for crabtacular? I’m in a match just with someone that also needs that achievement and I never run into the zerg… to hard to target. I just wait for the right moment to attack instead of running with all the others after the crab carrier.

Of course I often dodge the big karkas that way.

I managed to win 1 time… but with luck. Pretty hard one you carry the crab cause everyone targets you and there is fishing pole and eggs and stuff and you don’t have unlimited dodge and run skill. I usually can hold to it only a few seconds after I used running 2 dodges and the fear item(I like that but it also can be dodged).

Edit: Also speed traits seem working. Some ele always running much faster even without the skill 3 and manages to stay alive a bit longer.

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

My only problem with it is insane lag. The same kind of lag and freezing I would get prior to disconnect, so that can bother yes

For me its the same. In most karka events with 20+ players i dont fell ANY type of lag, but when i log in the minigame the delay AND lag make it imposible to enjoy…
Aparently im not the only one. Several people say the same in this post, and ALL my Argentina guild cant play this minigame propertly, with more or less lag/delay problems.

The real problem i see is: why i can play with “normal delay” in ALL game, but when i go to this minigame i suffer lagfest? Whit brawl happends the same, but not that extreme…

Posted by: Beta Sprite.4169

Beta Sprite.4169

Crab Toss mini-game IS fun, and you don’t need to do it. I’ll just be over here, having fun with it.

~Beta

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I hate this mini game, Its probably the worst mini game I have ever played, yet I feel like I’m forced to play in it for the achievements. (Yes sadly Im an achievement hunter)
When you are up along against 8 other players your chances of getting any achievements such as winning decrease by a lot. It would had help if there was a limit on the number of people per game, like four at max.

Though I would like to thank everyone in this random pug for not getting greedy and helping everyone get the achievements

Attachments: