Link Southsun Cove to the other zones!

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Southsun Cove is currently this tiny little explorable, completely separated from the rest of the world. Please link it to the adjacent zones. Bloodtide Coast is adjacent, and Caladon Forest is really close. It would make sense to have the Dominion of Winds as an outpost between the two zones. And I would love to see what the Dominion of Winds looks like. But please link it to the rest!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Ezor.7382

Ezor.7382

I agree with this, so far the map has shown good consistency and look very “connected” Its a shame you dont unlock some of the maps in the middle of all content and the cove is this magic alternate dimension place..

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

agreed, it’s also fairly strange that you can’t see SSC from caledon or sparkfly, especially at morgan’s spiral in caledon, it’s less than a minute swim from there to owain’s refuge…

even if they don’t add zone entrances to those places, it would be nice if they added some visible landmass to caledon and sparkfly, just so that it doesn’t seem like there’s an invisible island for some reason

edit: huh, I was half expecting landmass to be kittened out…

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

In addition to connecting Southsun with other zones, I really hope that ANet will “expand” it a bit and add some landmass. It’s the tiniest zone in the game, so it could use some more space.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yes I agree. There’s this tiny space in between Southsun Cove and Caladon Forest. It would be nice if they would expand the zone in this direction. Just add that little bit so the explorables touch each other side to side.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

In addition to connecting Southsun with other zones, I really hope that ANet will “expand” it a bit and add some landmass. It’s the tiniest zone in the game, so it could use some more space.

I’d settle for more interesting underwater content.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Spread it east a little, and there’s a pre-existing path from Sparkfly Fen into a rock wall (which makes little sense – makes more sense if it were a rockslide look, but it’s one large solid single cliff) which can link to Southsun Cove. To the western side of Southsun, the map goes right next to Caledon Forest and The Grove, a slight alteration to Sleive’s Inlet and you go to Southsun – add a little peninsula to connect it, no differently than adding Cragstead. And before one makes a problem of a level 6 area going into level 80 area: Wayfarer and Snowden go into Frostgorge (15 and 17/19 into 70/75).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Mentalhead.5721

I’d settle for more interesting underwater content.

Underwater content is always mediocre, I can’t think of any interesting underwater events, but why not, it could be a nice addition.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I agree, adding in more land mass and connecting it to the other zones would really help with a couple of things:

1. more accessible means more people which the zone really needs
2. more content means more people which the zone really needs
3. helps with continuity between the world which is one of the huge positive things in this game.

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I would +1 this whole thread if I could.

When Southsun was first added I immediately went to Sparkfly to see if the road west was stilled block and was disappointed to see that it was. Even though it nearly touches Caledon there is no road or portal leading to it there either. It’s just too small. I’m not even sure if it’s bigger than Lion’s Arch. I doubt that more land will be added to it, but kitten would it be nice.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I really like the idea of the world of Tyria slowly growing as more areas are added with these events. But it would be a shame if they kept introducing these separate islands. I’m hoping the team is considering adding more explorables, and connecting them all as they release more of this stuff. Because there’s still so much space to fill up.

I realize that a real expansion is probably quite some time away. And we’ll probably not see the Crystal Desert or the Far Shiverpeaks until that time. But it would be nice if some blank spots in between were filled up gradually. I want to explore more of this world.

Posted by: starwatto.4527

starwatto.4527

Yeah, if ArenaNet wants to make SC more alive even after this LS chapter, they should link it with the rest of the world more than it is right now. Thumbs up to this thread!

Casually hardcore since 2012
Aurora Glade
[rddt]

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I agree

West Border – Caledon Forest (portal to Morgan’s Spiral)
North Border – Tengu Wall perhaps… We don’t know how much they secluded themselves.
East Border – Sparkfly Swamp (Portal there as well)
South Border – Prolly similar to how it is now with strong currents.

Posted by: ichal.9504

ichal.9504

maybe add underground, like 2 or 3 layers

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

You guys maynot be aware of it, but A.Net has given away that they’re already linking it to somewhere. How?

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/c6129Living-World-Pivot-Point-1.jpg

That’s how. See, that’s the far South-East encampment of the Consortium where they’re building one of their resort spots. In the last few patches, Golems have been gradually working on building that Asura Gate in the background. According to that picture, it looks like it’ll be complete with The Secrets of Southsun patch. Where does it link to? 10-to-1 bet that it’ll link to one of the batches of in-active Asura Gates inside that cavern area in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: starwatto.4527

starwatto.4527

Wow, nice observation!

Casually hardcore since 2012
Aurora Glade
[rddt]

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

You guys maynot be aware of it, but A.Net has given away that they’re already linking it to somewhere. How?

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/c6129Living-World-Pivot-Point-1.jpg

That’s how. See, that’s the far South-East encampment of the Consortium where they’re building one of their resort spots. In the last few patches, Golems have been gradually working on building that Asura Gate in the background. According to that picture, it looks like it’ll be complete with The Secrets of Southsun patch. Where does it link to? 10-to-1 bet that it’ll link to one of the batches of in-active Asura Gates inside that cavern area in Lion’s Arch.

But why, if it already is connected to Lion’s Arch from a ship?

I like that you’re only able to get there from taking a ship. It’s the only place in Guild Wars 2 where the only way to get there is from taking a ship.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I agree, there’s not much of a difference between going to Southsun by ship or Asura portal.

I believe the map is detached from the rest of Tyria to give a sense of being further away from the coastline. Like the unexplored waters are “compressed” on the map somewhat.
Southsun cove should be perceived as being in the middle of an ocean, not a short jog & swim away from the coast.

That’s my impression anyway.

Mentalhead.5721

maybe add underground, like 2 or 3 layers

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing, since my guess is that Karka live underground. On the other hand, underground can get bit depressing if it’s all gloomy and dark, just look at Orr for instance.

Siphaed.9235

But why, if it already is connected to Lion’s Arch from a ship?

I like that you’re only able to get there from taking a ship. It’s the only place in Guild Wars 2 where the only way to get there is from taking a ship.

Well,…..here’s the reason: It’s cheaper.

For the Consortium, it costs far more to have a ship travel to Southsun each and every time. This is because they have to pay for the ship crews, Lion’s Arch docking fees and so much more. In the long run, it’s cheaper just to have them contract the Asura for a single price of the Gates.

Also, that’s still just an assumption that it will link to Lion’s Arch. For all we know, it could be another experiment by the Consortium agent that developed the Gate into the Fractals of the Mists.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Spread it east a little, and there’s a pre-existing path from Sparkfly Fen into a rock wall (which makes little sense – makes more sense if it were a rockslide look, but it’s one large solid single cliff) which can link to Southsun Cove. To the western side of Southsun, the map goes right next to Caledon Forest and The Grove, a slight alteration to Sleive’s Inlet and you go to Southsun – add a little peninsula to connect it, no differently than adding Cragstead. And before one makes a problem of a level 6 area going into level 80 area: Wayfarer and Snowden go into Frostgorge (15 and 17/19 into 70/75).

Never mind that you can stroll straight into L40-50 mobs from Hoelbrak, by taking the south exit into Dredgehaunt Cliffs.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I agree

West Border – Caledon Forest (portal to Morgan’s Spiral)
North Border – Tengu Wall perhaps… We don’t know how much they secluded themselves.
East Border – Sparkfly Swamp (Portal there as well)
South Border – Prolly similar to how it is now with strong currents.

Hmm, i would not mind an alternative route into Sparkfly.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Generally (though not always) zones access others that are the next step in leveling. Getting to SSC from Caledon or even Sparkfly would be pointless really. What lvl 14 is going to want to get there? And what 80 is going to run to SSC from the Grove thru Caledon? I understand Calcifire’s want to be able to see it from afar (Morgan’s Spiral). It shouldn’t exist as an other-dimensional-island.

It was added after launch and isn’t complete yet. As such, and given this new SSC-centered storyline, there might be some great things coming. Perhaps an expansion to the zone or a new one.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Calcifire.1864

Generally (though not always) zones access others that are the next step in leveling. Getting to SSC from Caledon or even Sparkfly would be pointless really. What lvl 14 is going to want to get there? And what 80 is going to run to SSC from the Grove thru Caledon? I understand Calcifire’s want to be able to see it from afar (Morgan’s Spiral). It shouldn’t exist as an other-dimensional-island.

It was added after launch and isn’t complete yet. As such, and given this new SSC-centered storyline, there might be some great things coming. Perhaps an expansion to the zone or a new one.

Wayfarer foothills opens to frostgorge sound, sparkfly opens to SoD, caledon opens to the high level end of kessex hills, plains of ashford opens to both blazeridge steppes AND iron marches (in fact, it doesn’t even directly connect to a lv 15 zone, you need to go via the citadel), divinity’s reach has a portal to fields of ruin, lion’s arch links to southsun (let’s not forget, LA is in the middle of the 30-50 zones), technically, lornar’s pass, gendarran fields, and bloodtide coast have links to the SoD, all krytan zones except diviniyt’s reach had doors to the mad kings realm in some way, every city had access to the infinirarium, and all cities can access LA (like I said, it’s in the middle of the 30-50 zones)

there are plenty of cases where uneven leveled zones connect ;P

it may seem useless, however as it is, the world already feels “unnatural” with all of those perpendicular mountain ranges in convenient squares, and as someone who came from WoW, it was VERY jarring to have such narrow zone entrances when I was used to semi-seamless transitions, having southsun connect just gives a small feeling that the world IS connected, and not just a series of maps

Incidentally, I WOULD use a path to SSC via caledon, I prefer to stay away from LA because it causes colossal slowdowns and my internet and computer are bad enough that waypointing from one end of lions arch to another is often SLOWER than running, because of the load times due to the sheer number of models loading at once (I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been stuck for 5 minutes as a levitating pair of pistols and a burning book after WPing to a crowded area)

Siphaed.9235

Yep, speculation is now put aside:

http://images.mmorpg.com/features/7404/images/North-May13-1.jpg

The new Asura Gate is going to Lion’s Arch by direct connection. It’s possible that no more boats will go to Southsun Cove.

Calcifire.1864

The new Asura Gate is going to Lion’s Arch by direct connection. It’s possible that no more boats will go to Southsun Cove.

there is nothing to say that that poster is actually official, and the writing doesn’t sound like the consortium’s usual legalese: “our medical experts will be happy to ignore you if the need arises”? like hell the consortium would say that.

plus, it just looks so unprofessional, light blue comic sans writing? not even the consortium are THAT evil. (plus, they want to make southsun a relaxing tropical resort, not a kids pirate adventure land)

sorry, but I’ll have to call BS, snarky as we can be about ANet, I don’t think any of us think they’d make concept art or release materials THAT godawful

Siphaed.9235

there is nothing to say that that poster is actually official, and the writing doesn’t sound like the consortium’s usual legalese: “our medical experts will be happy to ignore you if the need arises”? like hell the consortium would say that.

plus, it just looks so unprofessional, light blue comic sans writing? not even the consortium are THAT evil. (plus, they want to make southsun a relaxing tropical resort, not a kids pirate adventure land)

sorry, but I’ll have to call BS, snarky as we can be about ANet, I don’t think any of us think they’d make concept art or release materials THAT godawful

Are you sure about that?
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t459/Siphaed/Guild%20Wars%202/Gw22013-05-1311-38-57-02_zps3fa280c2.png

See…it’s in-game in New Krytan. They just translated to English and repurposed it back onto a similar poster. These posters are scattered all around the camp in the South-Eastern most tip of Southsun Cove.

Translate it yourself if you feel you don’t trust me: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/New_Krytan

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

There will indeed be a new asura gate linking Lion’s Arch to the new resort on Southsun Cove.

I agree that it seems possible to travel to Southsun from other areas when you’re looking at the map, but we’ve never had support for travel to other zones by swimming across the sea. In the context of the game world, I believe there are some pretty nasty things out in the deep water that would make it difficult to swim that far.

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

There will indeed be a new asura gate linking Lion’s Arch to the new resort on Southsun Cove.

I agree that it seems possible to travel to Southsun from other areas when you’re looking at the map, but we’ve never had support for travel to other zones by swimming across the sea. In the context of the game world, I believe there are some pretty nasty things out in the deep water that would make it difficult to swim that far.

Finally! Those golems have been working on that Asura Gate for months :P

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I guess this would be nice if there weren’t already free travel from LA to SSC.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wonder why we need this Asura Gate… it’s a second way to travel to SSC in the same city… ?!

I wonder if we will have any incentive to go back to the main cities soon… No mystic forge there makes them useless for crafters more or less. An Asura-Gate from Southsun Cove to cities like Divinity’s Reach would change things a bit I guess.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Falkor.7932

Falkor.7932

The boat travel is going away when the asura gate is complete, if you talk to the people at SSC they tell you that.

“One time! I slightly blew some of us up one time, and you won’t let it go.”
- Explorer Bekk

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe one day we can sail there via event without teleporting. Maybe get attacked by naughty sea critters while on the boat. :s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Incognito.7820

Incognito.7820

Maybe one day we can sail there via event without teleporting. Maybe get attacked by naughty sea critters while on the boat. :s

I get the feeling that there are stuff that can eat the boat.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That’s a pity though. Because that western path in Sparkfly seems to lead directly to Southsun Cove. I think many of us would love it if the zones were connected in some way other than an asura gate. And of course, lots of us are wondering what the Dominion of Winds would look like from the other side of that big wall.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I assume that the inability to swim there directly is probably supposed to give the players a sense of (larger) distance.

However, if it is about nasty sea monsters, have you considered just adding these? If there were champion karkas under water, no one (in their right mind) would want to swim the distance…

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

However, if it is about nasty sea monsters, have you considered just adding these? If there were champion karkas under water, no one (in their right mind) would want to swim the distance…

But I would love to see them try, hahahaha.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

A new asura gate would help remind people that Southsun Cove is still their. But there needs to be another way to get there, maybe somewhere in Orr.

With the ocean, Anet should make pirates a bigger part of the game.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

They have two entrances from Lion’s Arch. They’re making an asura gate, and they’re going to make it a third entrance from Lion’s Arch.

Sense: 0

It’s more likely to be an isolated instance ala Chantry of Secrets. Or a dungeon.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Mentalhead.5721

Asura gate is fine, but connecting the zone with adjacent zones would feel more natural. I’m hoping to see that in the following months

Calcifire.1864

Are you sure about that?
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t459/Siphaed/Guild%20Wars%202/Gw22013-05-1311-38-57-02_zps3fa280c2.png

See…it’s in-game in New Krytan. They just translated to English and repurposed it back onto a similar poster. These posters are scattered all around the camp in the South-Eastern most tip of Southsun Cove.

Translate it yourself if you feel you don’t trust me: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/New_Krytan

well I’ll be darnded, that certainly makes me look silly doesn’t it? :P

however, it still seems a little “off”, the consortium aren’t usually that honest about being amoral jerks, it would fit better if their “expert medical team” had a huge list of situations that they couldn’t cover, that you eventually realized meant they would essentially ignore you, all written in legalese double-speak of course

Sarie.1630

Underwater content is always mediocre, I can’t think of any interesting underwater events, but why not, it could be a nice addition.

Well I did say “more interesting”. I’m no expert but there must be something they can do to make it a bit more exciting to play – Increased variety of underwater weapons and utilities wouldn’t go amiss really, for starters.

I’d love to see an entire city underwater with maybe a wholly underwater open world combat zone. Could be amazing. At the moment it kinda feels like the underwater areas are there to kind of say “hey! look! underwater stuff!!”. Straits of Devastation and Frostgorge are maybe the most interesting areas for me, but they still lack something.

I believe there are some pretty nasty things out in the deep water that would make it difficult to swim that far.

I hope it’s “Bubbles” you’re hinting at, sir!

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: Cybila.6314

Cybila.6314

That’s a pity though. Because that western path in Sparkfly seems to lead directly to Southsun Cove. I think many of us would love it if the zones were connected in some way other than an asura gate. And of course, lots of us are wondering what the Dominion of Winds would look like from the other side of that big wall.

I 100% agree! +1!! I’m absolutely obsessed with the Maguuma Jungle, you’ll never find me anywhere else. Maybe once you’ll see me in Cursed shore or Frostgeorge for gathering but apart from that I just run around the Maguuma. I don’t even do any other dungeons then CoE and TA!! It just makes sence for that massive road in the East of Sparkfly to lead somewhere there, I’ve always wondered we’re that goes! Same with the Dominion of Winds in the Caledon! But if you actually look carefully on the map the bridge leading to the Dominion of Winds is actually straight across from another island North of SSC! They could expand SSC by adding this to the chain of islands or something! I hope they do a lot more with SSC, it looks like they’ve already got all the foundations of it there (that road in sparkfly and the dominion of winds)

I also think it should be visible from Morgans Spiral or on the rocks in sieves inlet.

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m glad I’m not the only one excited about linking the zones. So to the devs reading this, please consider expanding the zone, and linking it to adjacent zones. Southsun Cove is really small for an explorable, and there’s still plenty of space around it to make it bigger.

Mentalhead.5721

I’m glad I’m not the only one excited about linking the zones. So to the devs reading this, please consider expanding the zone, and linking it to adjacent zones. Southsun Cove is really small for an explorable, and there’s still plenty of space around it to make it bigger.

+1 to this

Sarie.1630

I’d also like to see the Waypoints, Points of Interest, etc. incorporated into the World Total. Seems wrong that it’s not, as it IS part of the world – a lot more so than WvW areas.

Posted by: Cybila.6314

Cybila.6314

I’d also like to see the Waypoints, Points of Interest, etc. incorporated into the World Total. Seems wrong that it’s not, as it IS part of the world – a lot more so than WvW areas.

If it is then it will probably be incorporated into the Maguuma Explorer achievement aswell… But it really doesn’t look anything like the maguuma, it’s to barren and reminds me of Orr . Maybe they’ll include it into the blood tide coast or something.

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

If it is then it will probably be incorporated into the Maguuma Explorer achievement aswell… But it really doesn’t look anything like the maguuma, it’s to barren and reminds me of Orr . Maybe they’ll include it into the blood tide coast or something.

Southsun Cove is actually more likely to be considered as located in kryta than in maguuma

Sarie.1630

Southsun Cove is actually more likely to be considered as located in kryta than in maguuma

Or neither. It could be a region all of it’s own. It doesn’t need to be considered part of any existing, it just needs it’s discoverable objects included in the world completion total.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They should link the gate in LA to Southsun instead the fractals, then make a third gate in Southsun to the fractals, then move the bank and black lion trader from the boat to next to the gate.

Ding, no(t as many) overflows in LA.

If swimming is not possible, then just use boats.

There’s already two boats in the map.

Simply copy consortium boats on exising docks and on each an NPC to take you to Southsun. Then in the boats in Southsun you choose the destination bytalking to the NPC like you do now chose the waypoint from LA to Southsun.

That way you could link Southsun to places like Garenhoff, Fort Trinity, Rata Sum’s Port…
As long as it has a dock with direct access to the Sea of Sorrows, you can link it to Southsun.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!