PSA - Consortium Chests

PSA - Consortium Chests

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

A new event is here, and with it comes a new rng box filled with numerous wonderful exclusive skins! Time to buy some and get that new skin!…you say. However, just let me warn you right now you will not get it. You will spend more than 50 dollars and feel bad afterward when all you got to show is a 15% swim boost.
After every event, there is always someone who feels horrible and has to post about it on forums on how he lost all his money after trying to get that mini drake minipet, that chainsaw skin, those elusive winter minipets and so on. Trust me, this has happened before to numerous people. It has happened to me, it might have happened to you, and if you don’t listen to this warning it will happen to you.
If you want the skins, go farm karkas and hope for a chance to get those chest drops, at least we did get an alternative option for chests this time around.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

We also got the alternative before. Problem is the drop rate. First you have to get a chest. I farmed for 2-3 hours with 257% magic find tonight. Got one chest. Out of the chests you get you furthermore have to win another RNG game to get what you want from the chest. I didn’t succeed.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Bottom line is they’ll keep doing the RNG-trap style sales as long we you keep buying into it.

Dont buy RNG cash shop items at all. If enough people abstain from that then after 2-3 such offers failing to generate the expected revenue they’ll start to try other ways of generating the income, hopefully through direct sales. If you buy the RNG items in the store (no matter if you bought the gems with dollars or gold), then you are the reason we cant have nice things.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The fact that you bought $50 worth of them after they have used RNG skins for the last 4 events is exactly why we have RNG skins. Tons of cash for them and the item stays rare so people keep trying to buy more. I do it based on if I like the event. If I enjoy the event I buy items related to it to show my support. If I don’t like the event or the method then I don’t buy.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

I made 40 gold to 1200 gems and open the 10 chests and I got

Flowers
Karka shells
A town cloth mask
New water breather
The male mini
The female mini

Not bad sold them directly and made 16g profit.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

We also got the alternative before. Problem is the drop rate. First you have to get a chest. I farmed for 2-3 hours with 257% magic find tonight. Got one chest. Out of the chests you get you furthermore have to win another RNG game to get what you want from the chest. I didn’t succeed.

In which event did we get this alternative? The closest one I remember is christmas but it wasn’t same loot.

The fact that you bought $50 worth of them after they have used RNG skins for the last 4 events is exactly why we have RNG skins. Tons of cash for them and the item stays rare so people keep trying to buy more. I do it based on if I like the event. If I enjoy the event I buy items related to it to show my support. If I don’t like the event or the method then I don’t buy.

Its great that you do it to support anet if you liked the event but not everyone does it like that. Most just do it if they see a skin/mini/items they want and spend money thinking they’ll get it if they just open one more. Sadly that is almost never the case and this thread is for those people.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

In the previous karka event Consortium Chests were drops as well. I never saw one. I never heard of anyone who looted one.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I looted 4 chests farming barracudas for 30 minutes.

Unless the new build modified droprates, then I think this is quite a good droprate. Even if it does take you 131 chests to get a weapon (as it did me and Fusion Weapons), if you farm for 2 hours a day, that is average 16 chests per day. If you farm 2 hours a day for only 8 days, that is 131 chests.

While it’s true the chests are RNG, I think ANET is much more fair this time around.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

While in the past I’ve bought black lion keys, I’ve made the personal decision not to buy keys or chests, because I dislike the cash for RNG thing.

I’m not calling for a boycott, but I am choosing to express my personal displeasure.

Shame too. I really like the new skins..but not enough to play the RNG game for them. Maybe I’ll get one from a chest drop.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I don’t buy keys or chests, I’ve never got anything out of one that would be worth the price of admission. (on the rare case I get a key from a drop) I might be encouraged to buy an event chest for each of the Living World stories if keys dropped more often, but I’ll be burned if I’m gonna waste my gems or money on a regular “what if”.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Not me, they should be boycotted.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i won’t.

i will buy new character slots and bag slots though when they are on discount again.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

We have players under the age of 18 if they do buy it is that illegal(online gambling).

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I don’t buy keys or chests, I’ve never got anything out of one that would be worth the price of admission. (on the rare case I get a key from a drop) I might be encouraged to buy an event chest for each of the Living World stories if keys dropped more often, but I’ll be burned if I’m gonna waste my gems or money on a regular “what if”.

I think the new version of the Living World Lottery doesn’t require keys. If I understand correctly, the chests are not locked and identical items drop from certain mobs (veteran karka?) or can be bought in the cash shop. So you can get at least a few chances at the RNG loot just by hanging around Southsun doing the LW events and such.

As for myself, I don’t buy lottery tickets, real or virtual. The blinking eye skins look interesting but not enough to make me buy the tickets. Whether one drops in my lap through regular loot or not, I won’t complain.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

I’m of the same mind — I’ve never bought any of the previous RNG chests, nor will I buy any of the new ones. I’m fine with having a cash shop for aesthetic items, but I’d have to say I intensely dislike the cash for RNG thing. When I go to the hardware store to buy a hammer, I want to walk out with a hammer — not a box with a “slight chance” to contain a hammer.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I spent gems of bank tabs and the witch outfit. Haven’t found anything else that is worth my money.

Oceanic [LOD]

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I’d much rather spend my money on nice clothing and armor skins; I just wish some of the clothing was wearable during combat. (it doesn’t all have to be – the goofy party outfits might still be restricted to cities because … well, they’re goofy party outfits … but considering light and some medium armor looks like little more than clothing it’s silly not to let me wear riding pants and a vest while I’m out adventuring. [without constantly having to switch back and forth from armor every time I get in a fight.])

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Wheel of Morality turn, turn, turn
Tell us the lesson that we should learn

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I’m not: I bought Rox’s set straight up. Why? Not only does it look awesome, I knew what I was getting. They completely hide the odds from us. I refuse to gamble when I don’t know the odds, and even then, usually, I refuse to gamble.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

I’m not: I bought Rox’s set straight up. Why? Not only does it look awesome, I knew what I was getting. They completely hide the odds from us. I refuse to gamble when I don’t know the odds, and even then, usually, I refuse to gamble.

This.

Never trust a bookie who wont tell you the odds before placing a bet. Usually, you find thats its massively sided towards the bookies favour.

EDIT: and no, i refuse to buy and support the idea of RNG chests. Anet will be lucky if i even convert some gold for it.

(edited by Parlourbeatflex.5970)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I’ve never bought any gamble box/key in any game and probably never will.

Only buying things I’m guaranteed to get, and know what will it take to get it, like bank/inventory slots, transmute stones, BL kits, even bought Rox’s quiver.

RNG things? Never.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Only things I have bought were things I wanted to pay for that gave me what I actually wanted. I will not spend any money gambling for skins, whether I want them or not.

Waiting patiently for sword and greatsword skins not under RNG.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I don’t enjoy gambling. So I won’t be buying keys for my chests.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

We have players under the age of 18 if they do buy it is that illegal(online gambling).

It’s neither gambling nor illegal.

I don’t patronize RNG stuff online, but the way they are implemented is no different than buying a pack of baseball cards or a MTG booster pack. You always get something, even if it isn’t what you wanted.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

These things are just more proof of how little Arena Net cares about the input of their customers.

The forums are full of posts from people who are tired of RNG and tons of people willing to pay cash for skins in the Gem Store. Yet ANet just continues to completely ignore this, add more RNG crap and no usable skins. How hard is it to understand that we just want skins we can buy straight out? I know many players (myself included) that gladly put down some money for the Rox Items and they were well worth it. Why can’t we have more of this? Let me just buy the stupid skins already.. is that so hard?

I honestly don’t know why they even provide this forum, they seem generally uninterested in any of the provided feedback. It probably won’t be very long before some over zealous moderator finds a generic reason to lock this thread to prevent any further discussion.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I think I will pass on these ones this time despite really liking them. Anet’s designers did a fantastic job on the creepy dark look. ^^;;

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The forums are full of posts from people who are tired of RNG and tons of people willing to pay cash for skins in the Gem Store. Yet ANet just continues to completely ignore this, add more RNG crap and no usable skins. How hard is it to understand that we just want skins we can buy straight out? I know many players (myself included) that gladly put down some money for the Rox Items and they were well worth it.

I would have bought the fused weapon skins as well.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Not planning on doing anything in any way shape or form related to Southsun Cove and the fluff that drops there, so although I am not “boycotting” in “protest”, I just plan to not waste my time or energy there. Something about taking a pig and trying to dress it up in silk. I still don’t like the pig. Especially pigs in bikinis.

To answer your question: no. I am not buying Consortium Chests.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

The forums are full of posts from people who are tired of RNG and tons of people willing to pay cash for skins in the Gem Store. Yet ANet just continues to completely ignore this, add more RNG crap and no usable skins. How hard is it to understand that we just want skins we can buy straight out? I know many players (myself included) that gladly put down some money for the Rox Items and they were well worth it.

I would have bought the fused weapon skins as well.

I would have as well.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

It’s neither gambling nor illegal.

I don’t patronize RNG stuff online, but the way they are implemented is no different than buying a pack of baseball cards or a MTG booster pack. You always get something, even if it isn’t what you wanted.

Yeah, I was taught growing up that things like buying cards for rares was gambling. I guess the law doesn’t always line up with my family’s values.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

These things are just more proof of how little Arena Net cares about the input of their customers.

The forums are full of posts from people who are tired of RNG and tons of people willing to pay cash for skins in the Gem Store. Yet ANet just continues to completely ignore this, add more RNG crap and no usable skins. How hard is it to understand that we just want skins we can buy straight out? I know many players (myself included) that gladly put down some money for the Rox Items and they were well worth it. Why can’t we have more of this? Let me just buy the stupid skins already.. is that so hard?

I honestly don’t know why they even provide this forum, they seem generally uninterested in any of the provided feedback. It probably won’t be very long before some over zealous moderator finds a generic reason to lock this thread to prevent any further discussion.

Have you considered that people who are more likely to spend a lot of money on these kinds of RNG lotteries are less likely to come to the forums in the first place, let alone speak up in a series of “I won’t buy them things” posts to say, “of course I do, it’s fun and I can afford it!”

Anet has the sales numbers to tell them how popular the RNG lottery is. Most of the states in the US have state-run lotteries. Multi-state lotteries like the Powerball and MegaMillions drawings put a part of every ticket sold into the jackpot. These jackpots regularly reach into the hundreds of millions, and then millions more tickets are sold as people rush to try to win the big jackpot. Entire cities have been built around gambling.

There are other games that have introduced similar RNG boxes. I don’t know of any who have abandoned them from lack of interest.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

No i won’t.Mind you i did spend 600gems on the Rox Quiver,and if my build was Shield/Mace,i would have bought those 2 skins aswell.But i will not buy chests to gamble if i might or might not get a weapon ticket while wasting money in the process.Rather throw those skins in the gemstore for 600 – 800 each,because if they were,i would definetely buy 3 skins,but now i won’t buy any.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

nope nope nope. I liked the fused weapons. I like the new weapons. But I never win at lotteries, so I don’t feel like participating in them. Got two backpacks. They’re cool. I’m just going to keep those to commemorate me participating in this event.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I won’t buy any.

But that’s because nothing interests me, the RNG thing is meh, if you want the skin suck it up.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Caedmon.6798

It’s not gambling. You are GUARENTEED to get something, just maybe not what you want.

I guess lucky dips should be illegal for children too.

It is gambling.The item you want is not guaranteed when opening the chest,you buy the chests to get a chance on the weapon skins,and nothing else..How in the world are you missing the fact that this is gambling ?

Gambling “. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.” " An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise."

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I don’t buy keys or RNG boxes.
I want to see what I am buying.

I have and will buy skins, costumes, makeover/ hair kits, bank slots, BLK, transstones and anything else that takes my fancy.
I thought that the Wintersday skins as well as the Rox and Braham items were really well done.

Gunnar’s Hold

PSA - Consortium Chests

Vayne.8563

It’s not gambling. You are GUARENTEED to get something, just maybe not what you want.

It is gambling.The item you want is not guaranteed when opening the chest,you buy the chests to get a chance on the weapon skins,and nothing else..How in the world are you missing the fact that this is gambling ?

Gambling “. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.” " An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise."

It’s not gambling, because you don’t have to buy it for the skin. The skin is just one possible item that you can get. It’s like buying a raffle. You get a raffle without any guarantee of getting anything except that you get nothing for buying it and only get something if you win. In this case, you’re buying something which contains something. It’s not TECHNICALLY gambling.

If you put a dollar in a slot machine there’s no guarantee you get anything out of it. If you buy a consortium chest, you get something for your money.

I mean for years, cereal packets have random prices in them. Collect all the toys. Collect all the stickers. We’ve seen McDonalds have a monopoly game where you have to get different pieces to get a chance to win.

Gambling? Nah, not really. But it’s still annoying as hell. lol

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I have never bought a rng box or a black lion key…

Came to the conclusion they were largely useless due to the rng and every thread on the forum since the game has been released on rng boxes has confirmed this…

BUT still you get loads of players opening 100’s then complaining on the forums…why do they NEVER learn?

PSA - Consortium Chests

Caedmon.6798

It’s not gambling, because you don’t have to buy it for the skin. The skin is just one possible item that you can get. It’s like buying a raffle. You get a raffle without any guarantee of getting anything except that you get nothing for buying it and only get something if you win. In this case, you’re buying something which contains something. It’s not TECHNICALLY gambling.

If you put a dollar in a slot machine there’s no guarantee you get anything out of it. If you buy a consortium chest, you get something for your money.

I mean for years, cereal packets have random prices in them. Collect all the toys. Collect all the stickers. We’ve seen McDonalds have a monopoly game where you have to get different pieces to get a chance to win.

.Read the definition of gambling,because it is.And dont even compare gambling to cereal packets,wich you buy to Feed yourself and the toy is a little extra,you dont get a chance to get food,you get food for 100% and a chance on a toy.In this case,i would buy the chest to get the skin since im not interested in getting anything else,now if im buying 100 boxes because i want the weapon skin and i keep getting something else,How is this not gambling….? You can keep telling yourself it isn’t,but it is.

Again..Gambling; An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk
I buy those chest to get a weapon with uncertain outcome…it’s a risk……

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Magic the Gathering, football cards and numerous things marketed primarily at under 18’s, have been operating this way for decades in most countries. So, it’s clearly not illegal. It kind of is gambling I suppose, but like most gambling…its the gamblers choice.

Pokemon being the biggest recent example I can think of. It’s peoples attitudes towards it that have changed. These days a lot of people can’t handle any kind of disppointment…it’s sad really. Rather than buying a chest or a key maybe they should go outside. The skins totally suck anyway…so why bother.

(edited by pricer.5091)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

I’m not. Those skins are terrible. a freakin blinking eye…REALLY??… :/

PSA - Consortium Chests

Vayne.8563

.Read the definition of gambling,because it is.And dont even compare gambling to cereal packets,wich you buy to Feed yourself and the toy is a little extra,you dont get a chance to get food,you get food for 100% and a chance on a toy.In this case,i would buy the chest to get the skin since im not interested in getting anything else,now if im buying 100 boxes because i want the weapon skin and i keep getting something else,How is this not gambling….? You can keep telling yourself it isn’t,but it is.

By your definition then, running a dungeon for tokens is a risk too, because there’s no guarantee you’ll complete it. It may be gambling in your mind, it’s not gambling by law. And that’s sorta what matters. You can’t regulate something that isn’t gambling.

Baseball cards have random cards in them, you buy them in packs for real money and there’s no guarantee you’ll get a good card. It’s not considered gambling.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Caedmon.6798

By your definition then, running a dungeon for tokens is a risk too, because there’s no guarantee you’ll complete it. It may be gambling in your mind, it’s not gambling by law. And that’s sorta what matters. You can’t regulate something that isn’t gambling.

Baseball cards have random cards in them, you buy them in packs for real money and there’s no guarantee you’ll get a good card. It’s not considered gambling.

It’s not by my definition,it’s by the Dictionairy’s definition,wich you can’t seem to grasp.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

Not me even though I bought items from the Gem store , mining picks , pets , costumes , and other things . If I actually knew what I was getting in the consortium box then maybe I’ll just buy it .

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

While in the past I’ve bought black lion keys, I’ve made the personal decision not to buy keys or chests, because I dislike the cash for RNG thing.

I’m not calling for a boycott, but I am choosing to express my personal displeasure.

Shame too. I really like the new skins..but not enough to play the RNG game for them. Maybe I’ll get one from a chest drop.

I hope they change this part of the game. You are a very good customer and you deserve to have this game be the best mmo. In many ways it is but I just can’t support a company regardless of how many do this. There are tons of wonderful things about this game. It is a true work of art and looking at it you can see how hard they worked on it.

They deserve to make as much money as possible but let it be an honest reward for their work.

I loved this game but the RNG was just way out of control and of course that is just my opinion.

Hopefully in time it will be the best mmo.

Also it’s sad that people exploited in the beginning of the game and hopefully they continue to ban anyone doing that.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

(edited by Drew.1865)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

The RNG is definitely out of control, but…you don’t HAVE to do it. Nor do you HAVE to play the game at all.

The game contains gambling, fact. You have to take part in it, fiction.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

You don’t have to pay gems at the entrance of the dungeon so any reward is without monetary risk.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: cdunning.6815

cdunning.6815

None for me this time

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

It’s not by my definition,it’s by the Dictionairy’s definition,wich you can’t seem to grasp.

You are soooo wrong you should stop posting entirely. Seriously just take a few days off from posting.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Teulius.8752

Teulius.8752

I was looking forward to get permanent axes and sickles or maybe even a new set of armor so that i could throw my money at arenanet again. But instead we get a swim boost and crates of bad luck… Just, wtf?
There is no way i am any of that.