PSA - Consortium Chests

PSA - Consortium Chests

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Morten.5387

Morten.5387

I agree with you, but I feel no sympathy for your story. ANet clearly stated that the items were a rare chance. Previous content definitely suggested that spending a lot of money != getting what you want. Finally there were PSA about not doing this very thing.

However, I agree that these skins should be directly purchasable, and not in chests. Spend a few dollars and get the skin you want. If it worked like that, waaaay more people would do it. It’d be happier for players and increased revenue for ANet. This system hurts both, and I am unsure why they continue to use it.

They continue to use it because as it is, 1 person will spend 100$ gambling to MAYBE get a skin, as opposed to say 5 people paying 10$ to get it for sure. As a conservative example, of course.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I agree with you, but I feel no sympathy for your story. ANet clearly stated that the items were a rare chance. Previous content definitely suggested that spending a lot of money != getting what you want. Finally there were PSA about not doing this very thing.

However, I agree that these skins should be directly purchasable, and not in chests. Spend a few dollars and get the skin you want. If it worked like that, waaaay more people would do it. It’d be happier for players and increased revenue for ANet. This system hurts both, and I am unsure why they continue to use it.

They continue to use it because as it is, 1 person will spend 100$ gambling to MAYBE get a skin, as opposed to say 5 people paying 10$ to get it for sure. As a conservative example, of course.

Obviously neither of us have the supporting data, but I would bet that the total money received would be greater if they gave a definite skin at a low price. My guesses would be something more along the lines of for every 1 person spending $100 now you would have 100 spending $5 on a $5 skin that is guaranteed.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Its like boycotting per-orders for video games its just not going to happen. Its too many ppl and a very small % go to these forums there just no way to organize it. Its your money spend it the way you wish if you do not want to spend it on this then dont but you cant tell other what to spend it on or not and get angry if they do not do as you say.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Even a high price would be fine. It’s still a price.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

PSA - Consortium Chests

Treeline.3865

6 chests all mats here. (Grinded not bought. I support your no-buy-policy )

PSA - Consortium Chests

Morten.5387

Obviously neither of us have the supporting data, but I would bet that the total money received would be greater if they gave a definite skin at a low price. My guesses would be something more along the lines of for every 1 person spending $100 now you would have 100 spending $5 on a $5 skin that is guaranteed.

That might be possible, yes. But again, would you be surprised if I told you that some people will dare go to the thousands of dollars for it? Not the same, is it? In any case, this is just what I think is the most likely reason for them to stick with their current approach.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d spend on town clothing, if I had money to spare. You know, and something like the Pick wasn’t being offered at the same time :P

(muttermutter)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

I think the real problem here is how crazy they went with the gemstore in this game. They went overboard. In GW1 it was more or less just the basics like bank slots, character slots, and the occasional fluff skin set. Too much here is in the gemstore instead of in game.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

PSA - Consortium Chests

Jemmi.6058

That might be possible, yes. But again, would you be surprised if I told you that some people will dare go to the thousands of dollars for it? Not the same, is it? In any case, this is just what I think is the most likely reason for them to stick with their current approach.

Wow, yes that is very surprising!! I imagine that number is pretty small though? Guess we’ll never know.

All I know for certain is that I have never been interested in purchasing chests for a rare chance at something. On the other hand, I’d throw down $5 in a heartbeat for the swimsuit skins! (I know this is in related to the weapon skins, but I am not all too interested in them).

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

$5 skin, or 400gems.

I would almost argue ANet would make at best a tiny fraction of current revenue for skins priced at 400gems. Players will just exchange gold for gems. Rates go up, other players get mad. Disconent shifted.

Whole discussion on this on the other thread, so, not going to rehash it here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/southsun/Who-wont-be-buying-a-Consortium-Chest/first#post2029596

If you have any interest.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Tekietee.5037

Tekietee.5037

I’ve bought 10,
I’ve found 5. I’ve farmed for 13 hours on the Vet Karka Zergs….
From 15, I found dumb mats I could of just farmed in an hour.. But, in 1 .. I did find an Hour +8% Karka dmg potion. >.> Could of at least made it everlasting or something slightly less humiliatingly rare.. heh.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

As much as it sucks for you I have to admit I’m happy you came to this conclusion.

Hopefully if enough people refuse to buy RNG boxes they’ll stop selling them and offer the items another way.

That’s the big elephant in the room. You see this and other threads full of “I bought 10 boxes, got nothing”, “I got 20 boxes, got crap” “I purchased 30 boxes, didn’t get the skin I wanted” and so on.

I dislike RNG as much as anyone, but I’m not a loss in that front because I don’t usually buy stuff of the gem store in the first place… but you get people saying how they hate RNG, but only after buying a bunch of the RNG item and not getting lucky.

And well, from Anet point of view, anytime they introduce an RNG item to the item store they get a few people complaining on the forum and maybe on chat, and a massive increase in gem store purchases of that RNG item (or at least it’s the impression I get from what I read on other posts and other people), the only conclusion they could draw from that is that the majority of the people (or at least the majority that spends money) love RNG items, and to be honest, if I was in their position, that’s what I’d think as well.

Talk is cheap, the only way Anet will stop adding more RNG items to the gem store in the future is to convince them that the huge majority doesn’t want them, and the only real way to convince them is if people do not buy them in the first place… and TBH seeing in game so many people talking about how many boxes they’ve already tried, and so many showing off the skins they got off it makes me think it’s really not the case, as much as I’d wish it was the other way around.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

I havent seen 1 player with any of the skins yet. But I’ve heard dozens complain on how expensive these crates are compared to the others, and how yes some people opened, 5, 10, 20, 30, or even 40 with no success.

You shouldnt be opening 40 (1200×4= 4800gem = $60 USD at 800=10USD) spending 60 dollars, for a chance at a skin you want in a game.

I loved the Rox’s and Braham skin set where if you wanted them.. 10 dollars a skin. If you wanted both thats 20, that simple.
Not any of this dishartening RNG crap.

This was the first time i spent money on RNG, and the last time. Thats my experience from this, and I just wanted to share it on the forum to let Anet know.

I noticed they changed my, and other players complaint titles. So they do infact understand that they’re getting negative reviews. That is step 1 of getting rid of them.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

I think all these complaints have at least some validity that players are discontented with the gambling option Anet seems so fond of promoting. Happy players stick around to spend more money. Those who feel gypped will go elsewhere and spend no more money here. It might be a quick sale, but it’s a long term loss for player retention.

Then again, it costs them pretty much nothing to add these into the game, so I guess “Hey, free money!”

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I can guarantee you that Anet makes more money with gambling boxes then direct purchase skins. How do I come by this knowledge you ask? Simple…

Anet tried doing direct purchase skins for wintersday. People no longer wanted them because they weren’t “rare” since anyone could buy them. Therefore very few people bought them. Anet did not make a lot of money. Anet puts a 0.1% chance of getting an item in a box. The item is “rare” now and most people won’t get it so everyone and their mother spent $30+ on these boxes for a chance at the “rare” item.

Whatever your personal opinion on the matter is, it doesn’t matter because Anet gave the players a choice and the vast majority chose RNG boxes.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Atreyu.6905

Atreyu.6905

I can guarantee you that Anet makes more money with gambling boxes then direct purchase skins. How do I come by this knowledge you ask? Simple…

Anet tried doing direct purchase skins for wintersday. People no longer wanted them because they weren’t “rare” since anyone could buy them. Therefore very few people bought them. Anet did not make a lot of money. Anet puts a 0.1% chance of getting an item in a box. The item is “rare” now and most people won’t get it so everyone and their mother spent $30+ on these boxes for a chance at the “rare” item.

Whatever your personal opinion on the matter is, it doesn’t matter because Anet gave the players a choice and the vast majority chose RNG boxes.

You kind sir are wrong…people didn’t wanted Winter skins cause they were ugly as kitten…even more than karka’s… if only someone had info about skins of Braham and Rox…

PSA - Consortium Chests

Morten.5387

As was said in another thread similar to this one, you shouldn’t dismiss the fact that the Wintersday gem skins were quite unappealing in comparison to the RNG ones.

Edit: Beat to it, lol.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: bross.4027

bross.4027

I would never spent real money on something that is not a guarantee to get. But i did spent 200g for the gems, got 50 crates and got no weapon ticket and got around 20g other stuff.

(edited by bross.4027)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

As long as people like you OP exist, who detest RNG, yet buy the boxes anyway – all of us will have to suffer through RNG. It’s that simple I’m afraid.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

PSA - Consortium Chests

Jemmi.6058

You cannot really come to a firm conclusion based on a sample size of 1. As a post above says, the skins were not great. There are many factors that can affect it. It would be very difficult to say with 100% certainty one way or the other.

Your post is very bias and based on opinion. Do you actually have numbers to support the amount of money made off Wintersday skins vs RNG skins from another event? Have you randomly polled the community to determine what the vast majority prefer? It also seems to be contradictory. You said that no one purchased the skins because they were not rare, but then that would make them rare – wouldn’t it? My counter argument is that everyone wants Super skins, but those skins were definitely not rare.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I mean for years, cereal packets have random prices in them. Collect all the toys. Collect all the stickers. We’ve seen McDonalds have a monopoly game where you have to get different pieces to get a chance to win.

Gambling? Nah, not really. But it’s still annoying as hell. lol

With cereal packets and McDonalds’ monopoly, if you pay close attention to the commercials, they ALWAYS say that no purchase is necessary to play: you can always write in to get free “tickets” .. I believe they do this exactly to avoid the gambling issue.

(edited by Lord Kuru.3685)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Nimmi.1650

Nimmi.1650

I don’t think Winterdays skins were unpopular because of their rarity. They were unpopular because of their lackluster designs in comparison to the chance skins.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

^

True, I am also done with buying RNG crates. Done it every time. Now I am like… well why should I? The skins aren’t that cool first hand. I was lucky two times (got fused and wintersday with tickets)

So yeah, I guess I should just wait and see what happens. I wanted a Scilit skin first.. but now I think.. the backpiece is alright, though I would love to see a token system like SAB or letting us buy them directly on the Gem Store. I already payed to much for them but w/e. I am buying some gems again and just hold on to them at some point… I really wanna have the consortium sickle.. well for 800 gems.. not more.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

The reason they keep doing the RNG dance is because they know people are crazy enough over a bunch of cosmetics to fall for it. Just look at the people in this thread who blew money just to get a shot at them. The only people that are actually vocal about hating it are the ones that gambled their gold/gems away and got kitten that they got nothing for their efforts.

ANet isn’t dumb. They know how to work the market so that they can be able to make a profit. That profit then goes into continued development of the game, meaning more events for everyone else to take part in. Simply put, it’s a necessary evil if the developers want to keep the game functioning. Anyone that complains about the whole process obviously does not know how subscription free MMOs work.

If you don’t want to go through the hassle and risk, simply don’t take part, or if you do, don’t blow all your funds at once just for a chance to get a stupid looking skin for your greatsword. Nothing is being forced onto you. The sooner people on here stop being stupid and realize this, the sooner I can stop sounding like a broken record trying to explain it.

I swear, this whole thing is worse than when TF2 introduced hats.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

People didn’t buy them because they were goofy/ugly.

Rarity of something purely cosmetic don’t mean kitten except to the dumb kitten elitist minority. You can’t fund a game just based off their revenue though, so your argument is a load of tripe.

People will buy if it looks good and is offered at a fair price; no matter how many other have bought it.

City of Heroes was a good example; their costume packs sold very well, as the stuff in them usually was pretty good looking and it was a permanent account unlock instead of an attempt to nickel and dime players who just wanted to have characters that looked good.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

I just spent thirty dollars on southsun boxes. 26 of them dropped nothing but passion fruit and passion flowers. I’m just done with this game. This solidifies the fact that Arena Net does not deserve my money. I wanted one freaking skin and the odds are so stacked against getting it that there is no point in buying anything that requires chance.

Are you expecting sympathy, or to be laughed at for gambling away 30 bucks that could have been better spent on other things?

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I learned my lesson last event…. I lost at Gem Wars 2

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

Bump, bump, BUMP!!!

This is one thread that everyone should read. I made the mistake, and in a moment of weakness gambled away 36 gold worth of gems. I could have gotten another character slot and a bag slot or six peices of black lion clothing or a skin and a bag slot or two vault panes… whatever with those gems. Instaid i flushed them down the black lion toilet, and have nothing to show for it.

The sclerite is a LIE!!!*
(*I admit to the actual possibility of receiving a skin, but i reject the relevance of such a low practical chance of receiving one. Other threads i have read speculate that the chance of receiving this skin is significantly less then 1%.)

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

(edited by Iarkrad.8415)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

we’re just arguing opinions about this. And there is no sense in that.

I do truely believe they could have something else other than this unfair rng. And no. I wasnt forced to try the boxes. But I did get discouraged severely from them. And I was unhappy with the results.. I just invested money in this game. Why am I sad and upset from it? That should not be the outcome. But unfortunately me and others have this result.

but like i said. I’m not investing another penny into these rng boxes. and I’ll spread the word to warn others not too either. because this really sucks.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

I’ve been with this gaming company for a very long time. I support and enjoy them very much.
But RNG on real money purchases needs to stop. And that is 1 thing I will not support. I’ll boycott. :/

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Let the boycott begin!

Was tempted to waste some gold into this, just because i like some of the skins HOWEVER, after reading alot of comments by people who have bought anyway regardless of their hatred for RNG im gonna sacrifice the eye weps in favour of boycott. Hopefully one day, everyone else will follow and the RNG chests can be scrapped.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

Let the boycott begin!

Was tempted to waste some gold into this, just because i like some of the skins HOWEVER, after reading alot of comments by people who have bought anyway regardless of their hatred for RNG im gonna sacrifice the eye weps in favour of boycott. Hopefully one day, everyone else will follow and the RNG chests can be scrapped.

I’m happy I can get a crate drop every 1-4 hours of farming.
That is not that bad of a design to get a ’’rare’’ skin and make it still feel ’’rare’’

However paying to get a chance.. PAYING.. for a CHANCE… is just ridiculous when you end up spending next to 60 dollars just to be as cool as the lucky guy who farmed for 2 hours and got it.

RNG.. We will vanquish you!

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

I don’t spend gems on anything except Fine Transmutation Stones anymore. Anytime I see something in the gem shop that gives you “a chance” (which is probably .05% if that high) to get something nifty I pass.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

I was thrilled to hear about skins offered for Wintersday… until I saw them. They were horrible. No particle effects, no shininess, just stupid flat wood and colored inlay. Bleah. Boring and not worth gems.

SAB skins were done well — took effort to obtain if not by luck and they look frikkin’ sweet.

People want shinies and they want to know that it’s special to someone other than them. I still admire seeing others with hard-to-get gear with splashy FX, and it drives me to want to play more if I know I can get it for myself without spending $100 cash to get it. Tempt me to gamble, though, and you’ll only get an earful.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

Omg this is the best post so far. LOL!!

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Maybe Anet needs to solidify the explanation for RNG. Because there is no way you could have thought you were guaranteed a token or anything good. Its like rolling a dice 10 times and not getting a 1 or 2, or any of the numbers. Who are you gonna be kitten at? The dice? RNG does suck in some ways, but you have to know the gamble you take walkin into it

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

Nope, not buying them. These RNG chests and the gem store is getting out of hand.

Edit: Posted before all the threads were merged.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

(edited by Kilaelya.1420)

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

I will show my feelings towards this RNG nonsense by not purchasing any RNG chests, crates, keys etc.

Furthermore because I think GW2 is awesome I will spend a reasonable amount on guaranteed items/skins from the Gem shop as I see fit.

So far I’ve purchased Primeval set, halloween costume, molten pick, extra character slots, bank tab. I seriously thought about the Rox and Braham skins but I don’t have 80’s that use those weapon types.

Forum whining will not sway Anets decision regarding this. Speak with your wallet and be heard.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

So… My topic got merged with this one.
I just wanted to describe real fast what my topic was about…

Basically, I was lucky to only have invested 10 dollars into these chests, and had 20gold to spare topping off the extra 400gems to get 1200, enough for 10 Crates.

Upon opening these crates, and discussing my findings with other people who had done the same we all quickly became discouraged. I’ve yet to see a single person with these new SS Skins.

Basically… I’m not going to spend any more of my money on supporting Anet with their Incredibly low, All Risk – No Gain, Gem Chest items. And I believe if you don’t either, eventually they’ll give us what we want. More set ups like Braham and Rox, where you can just buy it if you wish to..
I do say however, that I do love how we can farm for these crates. I have found about 7 so far.. In 15hours of farming. RNG within RNG.. Very clever..

But yeah.. I’m no spending money on stuff like this again, you shouldnt if you havent already.. And I’m going to make PSA about how others shouldnt too, because its just a gamble that is NOT in our favor.

No one wants to spend our hard earned money on a video game, and NOT feel excited and happy afterward.
So why should we?

And no. No one forced me to do it. But I common sense told me, hey.. These things costs like 2 dollars a Crate. Something Goods inside! JOKES!!! Only Stuff I could of Farmed in a Matter of Minutes per Crate… (for the most part)

I do like the rarity, but this is NOT the model I enjoy.

Boycott starts now please. Just don’t invest in RNG. Good day.

-Ehmry Bay President

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

Boycotting skins, but buying happily the skin they actually put on the company x)
for example, brhams shield it’s much better, cooler and amazingly looking than any shield i’ve seen so far, not even halloween, fused or eyed one are a deal. Heck it’s even better than the legendary.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

I’m not boycotting skins.

I’m boycotting Pay for RNG.
I don’t have a problem paying. I want to support ANET, I know they need it, this games free. However, I dont like paying for nothing in return. (or something I seemingly shouldnt have to even pay for, aka karka shells and flowers >.>)

Suggestion. Keep the boxes rng like they are, but put them on the mobs so people have desire to farm!
Put the Tickets in the Gem Store for $10 a ticket. they’ll sell like candy!
People need to feel like they need to ’’deserve’’ that rare item? Put something super secret are rare in the RNG boxes then.. Like the shoulders or something.

Its that simple to make us happy. Don’t over complicate things.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Whether you buy keys or consortium chests is your personal business but I would like to point out that more people would NOT buy skins just because the skins were directly purchasable because the skins would become less desirables as collectors items.

True, some people would buy the skins directly because they liked the look and they might even buy multiple versions of the skins even if they were 1200 gems each, which is about 40g at current exchange rates. But it would also keep some people away because the skins would be relatively easy to obtains.

Also, Anet is not stupid and they do have data – which we don’t. Clearly they found that directly selling weapon skins (like they did during Winter’s Day) did not work and they realised that part of what motivated people to try for the special skins was their rarity. You may not like RNG but it is absolutely indisputable that RNG makes items rarer and thus more desirable as collectors items.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Air.3154

Air.3154

Item collectors into an online game, they could easily decide to wipe out all those skins from one day to another, amazing collection you got there.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Treeline.3865

Also, Anet is not stupid and they do have data – which we don’t. Clearly they found that directly selling weapon skins (like they did during Winter’s Day) did not work and they realised that part of what motivated people to try for the special skins was their rarity. You may not like RNG but it is absolutely indisputable that RNG makes items rarer and thus more desirable as collectors items.

Try measuring player satisfaction. I’m sure they have data.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Tekietee.5037

Also, Anet is not stupid and they do have data – which we don’t. Clearly they found that directly selling weapon skins (like they did during Winter’s Day) did not work]

It didnt work because those skins were absolutely ugly.
Do you see anyone using them? No. Case closed on that one.

How many Braham and Rox weapons do you see around? A Good chung. Case closed again.

Idea for a fair RNG Box.

These boxes could give you 1 random weapon skin (not a ticket an actual skin).
The rate would be about 1 every 10 boxes. (10% chance)
These skins can be traded, so if you got one you didnt like/need you werent at a total loss, rather than farming/buying 40+
However, if you still wanted to you could, because maybe you were collecting to sell later or something, actually still giving ANET revenue..

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

There needs to be something decent guaranteed in the chest worth the money you spend on keys/chests. Having complete RNG is horrible. But we all know that will not change anytime soon.

I just wish they would bring things to reasonable costs so I didn’t feel as ripped off when I come up with nothing good. 1$ a key/box would be excellent imho. I also believe they would sell WAY more of them.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

We have players under the age of 18 if they do buy it is that illegal(online gambling).

It’s not gambling. You are GUARENTEED to get something, just maybe not what you want.

I guess lucky dips should be illegal for children too.

It is gambling.The item you want is not guaranteed when opening the chest,you buy the chests to get a chance on the weapon skins,and nothing else..How in the world are you missing the fact that this is gambling ?

Gambling “. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.” " An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise."

I personally believe this thread has derailed and therefore should be closed since it offers no benefit to players except a debate on whether or not buying “RNG” chests are gambling or not.

To that point; theoretically it is “gambling” if you reference the meaning of the word. However, in federal law terms, gambling laws pertain to financial gambling and not to general gambling. So no it is not illegal nor is it in any way shape or form wrongful of arenanet to sell them. You do not spend real currency purchasing the chests directly. You spend real currency buying a virtual in game currency which you have the freedom to do with what you please. It is a personal choice to buy the chests leaving only you liable. Also, anyone under the age of 18 who has access to credit/debit cards would have to either have parental/guardian permission to have the card/ or be legally emancipated (pertaining to United States laws, not particularly other countries.) ArenaNet does not endorse financial gambling, but only provides goods based on developer and consumer reccomendations.

Also a side note; Anyone who directly considers this gambling on the terms of the definition and does not therefore “gamble” is inherently inccorect because every moment you walk out your front door in the morning and get into a vehicle, cross a street, etc. you are theoretically “gambling”.

Cheers,

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Kajiri.8215

Kajiri.8215

I spent gems of bank tabs and the witch outfit. Haven’t found anything else that is worth my money.

The pirate outfit sword can summon a cannon. I like putting it on keeps in WvW.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

I dislike RNG, i dislike the chests/keys mechanic and never bought them – but lets be clear.

1) Majority of things in the chests can be acquired another way – if you want them, you can.
2) You can buy chests without paying any real money, by exchanging gold.
3) Arenanet probably does not care about YOU not buying chests or any normal players. Seeing as they still add MORE chests, this mechanic seems to be profitable, and i for one know there are many rich players that while you dont buy a single one – would buy hundreds, just because its convenient: people are different. And you cant it Pay2Win wither – because you know yourself how little the chances to “win” are and how big is the “pay” part.

TLDR:
Just ignore the chests. Accept that if you dont like this mechanic, maybe its not designed for YOU. They bring profit to Anet and thats why they are there. Tweaking them for you to like them and possible buy one, would not necessary mean higher profits for them.

Except your excuse for not buying them is FLAWED as I already covered it. Where do you think those gems you are getting for gold come from? Are you really to dense to grasp it all on your own? Those gems come from people buying them and then exchanging them for gold! So even if you do use gold to get gems for such an item you are still supporting cash for bad RNG. The only real difference is you took a different route to do it.

1) Most of the chests in the game till now only had ONE way to get them. Even now when another way has been offered the rates are so bad you’d be better off farming CoF then exchanging gold for gems then farming the karka for it.

2)See opening paragraph.

3)They will care when ENOUGH PEOPLE stop exchanging gold for them, leave the game in annoyance, and stop spending cash on them. It’s people like you that keep companies doing what they do because you just roll over to take it and encourage others to do the same. You are part of the problem.

TLDR; The foolish words of the latest generation who’s attention span is that of a fly.

PSA - Consortium Chests

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Please devs lock this post as arguments are sure to be escalated.