Please, help with Canach: too hard for me

in Last Stand at Southsun

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I’ve been reading all the threads complaining it is too easy to do the solo. Even someone saying that all that is needed is condition damage.

I have not found it easy at all, in fact, I have found it hopeless. I’ve tried to use the mines, but none of them has done any damage to Canach at all. I also tried the condition damage, but it had no effect on him at all.

Since no-one can go and show me how it is done, please, explain exactly what must be done to defeat him.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Stack bleeds on him and kite him around the room avoiding traps.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Disable a mine with the correct skill (2 for bomb mine, etc.). It will turn from red to green.

Lure Canach towards you. When Canach walks OVER the mine, it will explode and take some 5-7% of hikittenpoints (I think). Repeat 15-20 times.

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Actually, he can bug. If you hit him with a land mine (the bomb floating above it) and he takes no damage, just leave and start over.

Other than that, just keep turning all the mines green and running to the safe bits of the cave when he decided to detonate everything.

Oh, and this is one dungeon where bringing a bunker build helps immensely. Your DPS matters not at all so go all-in on survival.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Alternatively, spam him with condition damage (not sure if this was intended, I believe not, but it works). It’s all papercuts, but you can bleed/poision/etc. him to death with a condition build in a few minutes.

If you’re going for the light-footed achievement, lure him towards the starter area with the NPCs where he can’t knock you into any mines, and fight him there.

Posted by: Tigera.2916

Tigera.2916

Ok, you need to “disarm” the bomb mines (turn them green) and lure Canach next to them… they’ll explode and damage him, not you.

Conditions do not work on him anymore… they got patched out.

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

Easiest way to do it is to run to the back of the room where there is a lake of sorts. in the middle of the lake there is a large area without any mines, which you can use to stand when he detonates all of the mines.

On the left side of that area there is an explosive mine, the one with the grenade symbol. Deactivate the mine until it turns green and kite Canach to it, it will explode. Run the middle of the lake and dodge around a bit until the mine respawns. Rinse and repeat. When Canach begins to detonate all mines, run to the middle of the lake.

Posted by: Tigera.2916

Tigera.2916

hikittenpoints

I love profanity filters…

Posted by: rainynoble.6531

rainynoble.6531

Ok, you need to “disarm” the bomb mines (turn them green) and lure Canach next to them… they’ll explode and damage him, not you.

Conditions do not work on him anymore… they got patched out.

the patch didn’t completely nerf it, try to damage him with landmine and hit with your condition skills, sometime it works and just have your back to the wall and bleed him away.

Posted by: mfernandez.4172

mfernandez.4172

uploaded a video on how to defeat. enjoy :-)

EROTIC DISCO HEAT [SE] [FR]
http://www.youtube.com/user/taeHocsiD

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

uploaded a video on how to defeat. enjoy :-)

That doesn’t work for me. NULL just resets to his starting location every time I damage him from that rock.

Garambola.2461

Thank you!
What was wrong was that I was trying to explode the mines when Canach was on top of them using the wrong charge on the mine detector. That proved impsooible for me to time right.

Knowing to turn them green and lure him to them was the key.

Posted by: Molonlabe.3761

Molonlabe.3761

Thank you!
What was wrong was that I was trying to explode the mines when Canach was on top of them using the wrong charge on the mine detector. That proved impsooible for me to time right.

At first, I thought you were trolling the forum…

Did you TALK to the NPCs at very beginning of the instance? There are two NPCs with GREEN tags over their heads. They provided more-than-enough details on how to use the detectors and mines…

ANet cannot make it more obvious for people to understand the mechanism of this new instance.

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

I’ve basically given up – he’s just been running through green, disarmed mines without detonating them. The event’s bugged.

In theory, it should be simple – disarm mines, drag him through disarmed mines (so that he, rather than you, detonates them), repeat until he starts to blow them all up. Run to a safe part of the cave, wait for the mines to reset, and repeat until done.

Instead, he’s largely ignoring disarmed mines, and has reset at least three times in a single run because he gets “stuck” trying to run to you while you’re in a safe part of the cave. The event, frankly, sucks.

UPDATE: He’s not “ignoring” disarmed mines – he only detonates them on contact, while you detonate them by proximity, apparently. Again, that sucks – it means you have to ensure that he runs right on top of the mine, instead of just pulling him within the mine’s circle.

(edited by AveryFarman.2973)

Posted by: Linosaurus.1905

Linosaurus.1905

Thank you!

At first, I thought you were trolling the forum…

Did you TALK to the NPCs at very beginning of the instance? There are two NPCs with GREEN tags over their heads. They provided more-than-enough details on how to use the detectors and mines…

ANet cannot make it more obvious for people to understand the mechanism of this new instance.

I can see where he’s coming from. The npc tells you how to :

• explode the mine – this sounds like it might hurt the boss.
  • disarm the mine – my dictionary suggests the mine would not explode after this.

I don’t think it’s terribad as it is, just saying it’s not that obvious.

IUPDATE: He’s not “ignoring” disarmed mines – he only detonates them on contact, while you detonate them by proximity, apparently. Again, that sucks – it means you have to ensure that he runs right on top of the mine, instead of just pulling him within the mine’s circle.

Another thing that annoyed me – the group instance boss has a rush attack, with that he can run straight over green mines and even set them off without losing his shield.

Posted by: hammer.9721

hammer.9721

Anet forgot about the flamethrower when they fixed the condi damage so it was cake on my engi.

I did it on 3 other toons and i dont really think its hard just time consuming and lame.

Also tips for mesmers just dodge roll near the mines to keep him there if you have clone on dodge

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The condition trick (bug?) still works, but it’s not guaranteed to start.

I just used it to take him down a minute ago. I was on my ranger so I equipped 3 traps and a short bow. Whenever I ran him across a bomb mine I threw down a trap and on the 3rd or 4th one he started taking damage from it. So I dropped the mine gun thingy and started kiting him while throwing down traps and using the shortbow skills (which work as long as you point it in his direction rather than targeting him, Poison Volley is the easiest obviously.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

They released him without recording his voices and properly testing it.

He has an insta-kill skill that will kill you if you are anywhere near a mine, but they only warn you about it in the chat.
But you can’t really know if the warning has appeared as it’s the same line again and again. After a while, it may fill the entire chat, so when it appears, you won’t see it.

Some of the mines will NOT get changed when you use the tamper skill, but they are underwater and the lightning effects do not appear when underwater, so you can’t see if they changed.

And sometimes they are instantly reamed BEFORE the rearming message appears.

When mines reapper they will do so without an animation, and they may pop up straight under your feet. As some of the locations vary from time to time, it’s impossible even to remember where they are.

He’ll run though green mines without triggering, and sometimes you’ll trigger green mines.

It has become an exercise of frustration.

The only thing you can do is try and try until you want to cry or hit random people on the street or, with luck, get it done.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: ContraBit.9174

ContraBit.9174

condition dmg still works, you just have to get him onto a condition trap first.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Yeah. That also is bugged. If he has stepped on a poison trap, he’ll get posion for a very,very, short time (less than half a second) but he’ll lose his immunity to conditions.

With an engineer you can just pop a flame turret and walk in circles around it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The bombs turn green? I didn’t see any bombs turning color.
I tried all the skills on the gun, I didn’t see any change in the bombs.

Posted by: Bogartan.2756

Bogartan.2756

Silly mechanic that is apparently really buggy.

Sorrow’s Furnace
{SN} Sentimental Nightmares
Darsveth, Warrior – Dexter Oliver, Thief

Posted by: Black Regent.5897

Black Regent.5897

Yea, F this dungeon. I tried three times and I"m not doing it again. One time almost every single trap that was spawning was caltrops which do very, very little damage (if any) so I ran around forever triggering them to no useful effect. The few bombs that spawned all spawned right up against a wall where he wouldn’t walk. Next time he did his all detonate skill (which I had already interrupted with pushback once) then took so long to regenerate them that he regained all his health before I could tag him again and the last time every time I rearmed a mine it would either immediately revert under my feet as I was leading him over it or he’d just knock me back into a patch of mines.

What the f___ anet… every f___ing event….

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Oh, and this is one dungeon where bringing a bunker build helps immensely. Your DPS matters not at all so go all-in on survival.

This is where I get a trollgrin face at all those guys who constantly talk about how Full Zerker is the ONLY way to go.

Black Regent.5897

I went back a 4th time and it was back to almost exclusively 0 damage caltrops so I bled him to death….

It took like 2 minutes.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I was setting traps when he came forward and started attacking so ran to back of cave to an open space between traps and was never able to get far enough away from him to reset any traps so kept kiting him with the shortbow along with the seed turret and pet and eventually wore him down. He did manage to walk into some of the traps I had reset before we ended up at the back of the cave so maybe that helped with his vulnerability but it still took a while to take him down this way. If you are careful, there is enough open space to avoid the traps but I did get knocked into them two or three times so didn’t get the lightfoot achievement. Was glad to get him down in one try because outside was a karka fest so you couldn’t stand around out there very long. Gave up trying to find a group for the group one because of that.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I stood at the entrance, a bomb trap is directly to the left and respawns bomb every time for me (did it 3 or 4 times cause I kept jacking up the light foot achievement). Disarm bomb trap, walk him over go back to wall and wait for respawn. He attacks slow and doesn’t hit hard so you don’t even have to move, just use heals when low. BTW I was wearing my magic find gear so no toughness or high vit at all.

I think you guys might be trying too hard. keep it simple.

Same thing with the explorable mode. I just run in and get agro. stand near a trap and drop my mine detector so I can attack. When shield pops I pick up the mine detector and disarm a trap, run the golem over it then go back to attacking. Ignoring the sparks and other mechanics completely.

Posted by: Molonlabe.3761

Molonlabe.3761

Yea, F this dungeon. I tried three times and I"m not doing it again. One time almost every single trap that was spawning was caltrops which do very, very little damage (if any) so I ran around forever triggering them to no useful effect. The few bombs that spawned all spawned right up against a wall where he wouldn’t walk. Next time he did his all detonate skill (which I had already interrupted with pushback once) then took so long to regenerate them that he regained all his health before I could tag him again and the last time every time I rearmed a mine it would either immediately revert under my feet as I was leading him over it or he’d just knock me back into a patch of mines.

What the f___ anet… every f___ing event….

Here are some small (very small, indeed) hints:
(1) If Caltrop trap does very little-to-none damage, then don’t use it to damage him. There are two other kinds, and one of them does significantly more damage to Canach. More importantly, it has an seemingly obvious RED circle when you ID it. I guess that’s probably a hidden hint from ANet?? \(-.-)/

(2) You don’t need to run all over the cave. You only need to run in the main water area, where you have enough space to kite him, enough mines to damage him, and it is close enough that you will not reset him.

(3) The color of mine goes from Red to Green (which you can use to damage him), or spawn —> Yellow —> Red (at this point, you can turn it into Green again). You don’t want to target any YELLOW mine, because even though it turns Green, it still acts as a Red mine.

(4) At any given time, if Canach is NOT following you, look at your chat window, there is a good chance that he will set off all the mines.

(5) All pets/clones/illusions/phantasms/spirit-pets can keep Canach very busy, which will give you enough time to set up a mine (if not a series of mines).

I took all my characters to farm him today, because every character gets one gold in less than 5 minutes.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

My error was I didn´t zoom out into full “Diablo” mode.

After that, stacking my Guardian up with retaliation shouts, a ghostsword for distraction and completely ignoring(& avoiding) all but the bomb traps, it was thankfully over in a minute of two.

Still pretty much the shi__iest GW2 experience to date.

Polish > hype

Black Regent.5897

[quote=2109684;Molonlabe.3761:]

CMF.5461

I really didn’t think the fight was difficult enough to warrent frustration. If anything it is “too” easy. Still i can’t ignore the people that are having problems, but I contest that they are trying too hard and should take a step back and look at what is happening. He does almost no damage, the bombs are what hurt.

It’s like playing othello. Flip his pieces to your color to hurt him. Watch chat to see if he is rearming the mines that you just flipped. Also pay attention to if he is going to cause all mines to explode.

Slow down, look, think.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Totally ticked me off, i had him down several times and he popped back to full health, I’m done with this stupid glitched quest!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

CMF.5461

Totally ticked me off, i had him down several times and he popped back to full health, I’m done with this stupid glitched quest!

Are you fighting him up on a wall? If he can’t path to you he may reset. Try fighting somewhere else.

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

You shouldn’t bother with any other mines than the explosive one (#2), only kittens from this mine is required to bring Canach down.

(edited by Bragdras.9572)

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Get some additional toughness and learn to recognize mines in order to trigger the right tamper skill.

Posted by: Vago.1679

Vago.1679

this is by far the worst kitten thing i have ever; EVER done in an MMO

it has nothing to do with being good or knowing anything…when you can run him over a green mine 5 times to have it BLOW UP ON YOU OVER AND OVER AND OVER…not to mention grouping for dungeons seems to have bugged…

Posted by: galen ubal.2807

galen ubal.2807

I just gave it a whirl – I experienced serious lag, but was whittling him down just by disarming mines (I think). Then, when he was down to about a quarter, I disconnected. I was in overflow, if that matters.
I’m a little cross.
Someone above made a comment about warnings in the chat window – I wasn’t seeing them too well either, as I was concentrating on the screen , trying to make out the icons above the mines – which I couldn’t see too well either. I’d suggest moving the notifications to the middle of the screen, or providing some other visual cue – the whole screen flashes red, or something. Not sure what to do about the mine icons.
I see what the devs were trying to do, but the killer lag left a bad taste in my mouth. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

it has nothing to do with being good or knowing anything…when you can run him over a green mine 5 times to have it BLOW UP ON YOU OVER AND OVER AND OVER…not to mention grouping for dungeons seems to have bugged…

You are definitely doing it wrong.

I’ve had him bug where he doesn’t take damage, but never so that I took damage instead.

What you are almost certainly doing is trying to disarm ‘yellow’ mines which don’t actually disarm.

Here’s what you do from start of dungeon to finish.

1. Pick up a mine detector.
2. Hit 1 which lights up all the mines. Check out what the symbols over the mines look like so you’re familiar with them when you get to Canach.
3. Use the mine detector to avoid the mines and run back to Canach.
4. There will be a land mine (bomb icon…matches the 2 attack on the gun) near the entrance to his room. Hit 1 to find it, then hit 2 and target right on that mine. It will turn green.
5. Move a bit further into the room. Maybe flip another mine.
6. When Canach starts moving towards you, turn and run STRAIGHT to the land mine and jump over it. Then stop and turn around and wait for Canach to run into it. You won’t take damage, but he will definitely set it off.
7. Hit 1 and find another land mine. Flip it to green.
8. Take a quick gander at the chat box. Good chance he’s about to kaboomie all his mines.
9. If he’s blowing them all up, you can use 5 on the gun to interrupt him. This will let you get another land mine in before he tries to kaboomie them all again.
10. When you see that message, find open space well away from any mines. There are all kinds of places like this. Just make sure you’re about twice as far as the detection circles are since the AoE of the mine is about double their detection range.
11. Run around waiting for all the mines to respawn.
12. KEEP WAITING UNTIL MINES GO FROM YELLOW TO RED.
13. Flip a land mine, run and jump over it, he’ll run into it.
14. Goto 9

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I am a compleat idiot and I beat him first time. Just took a moment to understand the technique.

I got a bronze, will I be able to have another try after the next reset?

Black Regent.5897

I take it you missed the karka weekend… that or somehow got lucky enough not to have the massive invasion lag followed by the key quest givers being frozen followed by getting DC’ed during the boss fight and not getting the chest reward with the huge chance at a precursor followed by people who got the reward also getting the mailed reward and getting a second precursor….

Like everything else it was a neat idea, but it was implemented with, apparently, virtually no testing.

But, hey…. new gem store items…

Vago.1679

You are definitely doing it wrong.

I’ve had him bug where he doesn’t take damage, but never so that I took damage instead.

What you are almost certainly doing is trying to disarm ‘yellow’ mines which don’t actually disarm.

Here’s what you do from start of dungeon to finish.

1. Pick up a mine detector.
2. Hit 1 which lights up all the mines. Check out what the symbols over the mines look like so you’re familiar with them when you get to Canach.
3. Use the mine detector to avoid the mines and run back to Canach.
4. There will be a land mine (bomb icon…matches the 2 attack on the gun) near the entrance to his room. Hit 1 to find it, then hit 2 and target right on that mine. It will turn green.
5. Move a bit further into the room. Maybe flip another mine.
6. When Canach starts moving towards you, turn and run STRAIGHT to the land mine and jump over it. Then stop and turn around and wait for Canach to run into it. You won’t take damage, but he will definitely set it off.
7. Hit 1 and find another land mine. Flip it to green.
8. Take a quick gander at the chat box. Good chance he’s about to kaboomie all his mines.
9. If he’s blowing them all up, you can use 5 on the gun to interrupt him. This will let you get another land mine in before he tries to kaboomie them all again.
10. When you see that message, find open space well away from any mines. There are all kinds of places like this. Just make sure you’re about twice as far as the detection circles are since the AoE of the mine is about double their detection range.
11. Run around waiting for all the mines to respawn.
12. KEEP WAITING UNTIL MINES GO FROM YELLOW TO RED.
13. Flip a land mine, run and jump over it, he’ll run into it.
14. Goto 9

I wish i would have made a video of it

when it’s green you are supposed to be able to run him over the trap. I have run him back and forth over the same trap 5 times to have it blow up on me and 2 seconds later say he was resetting the trap. It is certainly the worst encounter I have ever seen…but i beat it then did the exp which also isn’t fun but isn’t as bad as solo

Vago.1679

I take it you missed the karka weekend… that or somehow got lucky enough not to have the massive invasion lag followed by the key quest givers being frozen followed by getting DC’ed during the boss fight and not getting the chest reward with the huge chance at a precursor followed by people who got the reward also getting the mailed reward and getting a second precursor….

Like everything else it was a neat idea, but it was implemented with, apparently, virtually no testing.

But, hey…. new gem store items…

I am solely talking about the encounter here not all the other god forsaken bugs the game keeps getting over and freakin over again. I can’t run CoF right now because i can’t see my group, then when i get to the door part of the instance it insta kicks me from group

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

So I tried this intended way… And it was taking so long (in fact I swear he recovered health at one point), that he eventually downed me due to knocking me into one mine for half my health and then having another mine apparently spawn under me soon after. So I tried it again the legit way… and ended up dying as he exploded a mine when I was just outside it’s detection range. (Explosion range larger than detection range? Go figure… And now I’m told that he does some kinda warning in the game chat? Why would I ever be looking there…)

So I said the heck with it, came on this forum, read that conditions work. I burnt him down with my condition Necro in far less time than the legit way would have taken.

As far as boss mechanics go, this one wasn’t very fun for me.

CMF.5461

I am really really surprised how easily turned off a lot of the players are with this fight. It is easy but no one wants to try….but I think I just figured it out.

No one likes this fight because we are not using OUR skills. We have our skills replaced by the mine detector. I think this is a huge reason why people don’t like water combat as well. They are not familiar with the controls and it hinders the normal flow of combat that we are used to.

Personally I didn’t mind the fight and found it interesting albeit too easy. Then I come here and see an outcry of frustration at it and I’m taken aback. Is this our fault that we as a player base don’t like new mechanics or is it the developers made bad designs. I think a compromise can be made somewhere.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I used Ranger skills to take him out, not the mine detector so I think there are ways via each profession to figure out how to take him out. (I was at the back of the cave between several mines and nothing spawned between those points so may be one of the sweet spots in the cave…) Some may be more efficient than others. Kiting, Pet, Seed Turret plus healing skills were a plus for Rangers. Would be interesting to see what other professions used to take him out.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Ah no wonder this took me almost 40 minutes…

I was trying to trigger the mines as he walked over them…

Had no idea I needed to disarm them. O.o

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I really think this works best mechanically as a group fight, since there’s usually one guy who actually likes being the “buttons and utility mechanics guy” in groups. Solo, a lot of people just hate being forced off their weapon skills.

Canach himself was stupidly easy, just flip 5 or 6 #2 mines and you’re done (even got the second achievement)

Null was… interesting. Sadly I couldn’t solo him because of the turrets, but I do think he has a great set of boss mechanics. Just wish he had a dungeon in front of him.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: anabasis.7346

anabasis.7346

I don’t know why some people find it hard to kill Canach. In fact, I would say that it’s mind-blowingly easy.
I killed him with my main char, a guardian, and when I saw that the reward was 1G, I switched to my level 10 alt in blue armor and I was able to defeat Canach again.
Always remind to keep swiftness up, it will help you to outrun Canach so he can’t hit you. While running disable the mines and make sure that Canach walks OVER the mines. Whenever someone says that the npc didn’t detonate the mine it’s because it went around the mine so closely that it may seem as he walked over it, but trust me, he didn’t. It happened to me a few times, so keep trying, it couldn’t be easier.

(edited by anabasis.7346)

Garambola.2461

Ah no wonder this took me almost 40 minutes…

I was trying to trigger the mines as he walked over them…

Had no idea I needed to disarm them. O.o

You are brave to admit to the same mistake I made! I’d like to thank you, it makes me feel better that I was not the only one. It was a small mistake, but it makes a world of difference.

Also thanks to all the supportive people once again. I also hope that someone else somewhere benefitted from me asking for help.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I love the game, but thus far Arenanet has shown they really only know how to make frustrating dungeons and it almost seems like they’ve don’t even attempt to make dungeons that are fun.

I’m guessing maybe someone is stuck in the past, when many games were frustrating and if you didn’t have to play through a stage many times before you learned the exact sequence/timing, then it was considered “too easy”.

To be honest, I never found those games fun, but luckily games have mostly moved on from that paradigm. It seems, though, that someone never got that memo.