Infinite Watchknight Tonic Cooldown

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Raiden.5621

Raiden.5621

Why does the Infinite Watchknight Tonic have a 30 minute cooldown?
I worked the whole day for it and would like to show it off more often than just 5 minutes every 30 minutes (25 minutes downtime)

Attachments:

Akahri [VnT]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’ll play devil’s advocate for you. In GW1, Anet designed costumes that were designed in parts (head, chest, gloves, etc.) much like in GW2. However, in GW1, Anet gave you the option of displaying your costume in outposts only, combat areas, or both. What probably ended up happening is that some, if not many, players ended up running around in costume only most of the time. That’s what I saw when I played at least. That’s certainly not to say everyone did but a decent number.

Now, based on design choices like the 30 minute cooldown, instead of saying that costumes are an “all the time” thing, they are a “sometimes” thing. This might serve a few purposes. It limits the screen time for a potential glut of Halloween ghosts beating up Ettins or Watchknight battalions roving through Orr in a game meant to portray the story of the 5 races. It also instills a sense of fun vs business, you get in costume in social settings but don your armor when a Centaur starts bearing down on you. Keep in mind though, this is the first (?) battle costume they created thus far so maybe they are trying to find a middle ground between players asking for permanent costumes and those who think that idea is ridiculous.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

This tonic is amazing and when it wore off in only 5 mins I was incredibly unhappy. I mean really there is no real point to a full half hour cooldown, make it 10 mins or something anet.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

It’s the ONE thing you get from this weeks living story, the events are bland, there is almost no content…. and then once you manage to get the one thing there is to be had… it has a 30 minute cooldown timer…. that’s super fun. Not.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Oh my god yes, they need to change this! It is horrible having to wait half an hour just to use a tonic again. I would rather have it not be combat and be able to use it whenever I want than this abomination. At least make it always useable in towns for god’s sake.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Wait wait wait wait wait. You can FIGHT in this new tonic’s form? Not costume brawl, but actual fight? Unique skills as well, or your own weapon skill sets?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Wait wait wait wait wait. You can FIGHT in this new tonic’s form? Not costume brawl, but actual fight? Unique skills as well, or your own weapon skill sets?

While I did not test in it actual combat yet (due to the whole 30 minute thing) you do keep your skills and weapon equipped. So for example, when transformed I could use all my Guardian’s great sword skills and shouts with no issues.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: citizankane.5723

citizankane.5723

Yes, for 5 min. Then you gotta wait 25 min. to use it agian. Your own skills.

(edited by citizankane.5723)

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Afro Dude.8423

Afro Dude.8423

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I found out about the tonic cooldown. It’s just completely unnecessary & decidedly un-fun. I get that they might not want players to run around in tonics all the time, but we’re talking about a game that lets you join the circus and potentially run around with a big purple afro while killing things with a candy cane hammer, all the while dyed like a rainbow.

Simply put, I do not want to see cooldowns on this or any future tonics. We don’t have any on all of the others, why start now?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Geneticide.6987

Geneticide.6987

This needs more publicity. It almost feels like we’re being punished for our achievement. I mean, it’s like a tease… who designs something like that? You can be a bloody pig for an infinite ammt of time, but after spending how many hours on these mandatory invasions, you get 5 minutes? With a 30m CD? Extremely disappointing.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I don’t understand why there’s a time limit on it. When I use an ever-lasting tonic I want it to last until I zone to the next area without cooldown.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Slaugh.7839

Slaugh.7839

Even worse, it doesn’t work in WvW at all

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

If the tonic is supposed to last for 30 minutes, it should last for 30 minutes. I can live with a cooldown (I… guess…?) but it should not come into effect automatically when you leave a zone.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Skullman.8046

Skullman.8046

When I first tried this it was very cool and exciting. Combat while transformed! Then 5 min later I changed back.

I think ANET’s advertisement of “Once you complete the Clockwork Chaos meta achievement, you’ll receive a tonic that allows you to transform into a Watchknight at any time.” is misleading. They should say it is for 5 min and then has a 25 min cool down. That is not ANY time.

The cool down to me is ok, it is the 5 min limit that I do not like. I want it to work as long as I am in an area. If I port somewhere else – fine give me a cool down.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Wings.5140

Wings.5140

I agree with the points raised above. The tonic needs a longer duration – endless whilst staying in the area/cooldown upon zoning out seems like a more than reasonable fix to be honest.

As it is with five minutes duration/25 minute cool downs, it’s basically useless and forgettable.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

30min cool down? What the hell?

I was super excited when I saw the combat transformation text, figuring it would be exactly what it turned out to be. But if I can’t use it for a majority of the time I guess I just wasted ~10 hours of my life farming for this tonic.

I’m seriously disappointed.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well it would still be hilarious to see a 5 minute watchknight assault in WvW. Good luck figuring out which character is which class at a glance.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

It’s because they don’t want you to run in this tonic all the time. The fact that you can fight in it for 5 minutes is a tremendous bonus and is enough of a benefit to offset the cooldown timer.

After this event is over people won’t even bother complaining about this minor issue.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Clockwork Chaos

Vol.5241

30min cool down? What the hell?

I was super excited when I saw the combat transformation text, figuring it would be exactly what it turned out to be. But if I can’t use it for a majority of the time I guess I just wasted ~10 hours of my life farming for this tonic.

I’m seriously disappointed.

The release hasn’t been out for two days. It’s your fault for hardcore farming to get the tonic.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Wings.5140

Wings.5140

It’s because they don’t want you to run in this tonic all the time. The fact that you can fight in it for 5 minutes is a tremendous bonus and is enough of a benefit to offset the cooldown timer.

After this event is over people won’t even bother complaining about this minor issue.

After this event is people won’t even bother using the tonic. It will end up being forgotten about, I can guarantee it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Peregryn.6578

Peregryn.6578

pardon my ignorance but aren’t most tonics 15 minute duration? I’ve not used an ‘Endless’ Tonic in GW2 but it was my impression that when ANet says ‘Endless’ they are referring not to effect duration but to the fact that the ‘consumable’ can be reused endlessly.

Now I sympathize with upset over 5 min duration and 30 min cooldown, but …. To ask for a Transformation to last till you map change shakes head.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I too was shocked by the downtime of this tonic. I was very excited about getting this tonic, but frankly at this point it just gets chalked up to useless junk that takes up space. I have a hard time even giving it a slot in my item inventory to carry around with this kind of downtime.

ANET – Great concept, nice execution in getting it and the effect, a giant FAIL on the amount of downtime

I’m holding out that this will be found as a “bug” and the duration and cooldown were accidently switched.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

Wow, it’s incredibly stupid, reminds me of WoW back when people first found out about archeology’s disguises, 20 seconds for 30 minute cooldown..

If there’s one thing you shouldn’t copy from WoW, it’s the stupid and unnecessary cooldown on vanity items, I was looking forward this disguise, since it’s the first combat-available disguise, but now I’m disappointed before I even got it.

in Clockwork Chaos

Vol.5241

After this event is people won’t even bother using the tonic. It will end up being forgotten about, I can guarantee it.

Heck, I barely see people in the three Wintersday tonics..

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: KitaYumi.7048

KitaYumi.7048

How, exactly, is that a benefit? Does it make my character stronger? Do I get more loot? Not at all, no benefit whatsoever.

in Clockwork Chaos

Vol.5241

How, exactly, is that a benefit? Does it make my character stronger? Do I get more loot? Not at all, no benefit whatsoever.

It allows you to transform completely and fight in it for 5 minutes? Isn’t that benefit enough? That you can transform and be unique?

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: KitaYumi.7048

KitaYumi.7048

It would be if we could do that when we want to. As it is, we can not, since we need to wait on a ridiculously long cooldown for a measly five minutes of “uniqueness”.
Really, what is the problem with being able to use it for as long as you like? Does it break the game in any way?

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

It would be if we could do that when we want to. As it is, we can not, since we need to wait on a ridiculously long cooldown for a measly five minutes of “uniqueness”.
Really, what is the problem with being able to use it for as long as you like? Does it break the game in any way?

You mean wait 30 minutes to look like what 95% of the GW2 population look like in a couple of days? The unique horror!

in Clockwork Chaos

Vol.5241

Then you end up with the whole population wearing nothing but the watchknight skin. There’s nothing appealing looking at people wearing the same thing.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

I been waiting for tonics like the ones we had back in gw1, I spend lots of ectos to buy the Margonite tonic and also had my Vekk tonic! It was really fun to play in dungeons with those tonics or just run around towns with it, if im not wrong it last fo 40 minutes and had no cooldown time.
Now this is GW2 and things are diferent… so please some Dev just get in here and let me know if this tonic is working as intended and only last for 5 miunes so i can destroy it.

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Lianu.1390

Lianu.1390

Then you end up with the whole population wearing nothing but the watchknight skin. There’s nothing appealing looking at people wearing the same thing.

What’s wrong with having a toggle instead of a timer of 5 minutes? I think it would be awesome if a large guild could all coordinate and do one of the big guild events all in costume for the duration of their events. I know if a combat-friendly quaggan tonic came out, the vast majority of my guild would want to coordinate a quaggan-themed event, for instance. Someone else also mentioned a WvW watchknight rampage. That’d be cool, too. If ArenaNet releases more tonics then not everyone will choose to wear the watchknight skin later on, either.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

I approve this unhappyness .

I hope teh tonic duration will be reviewed soon.

A trasformation with 30 mins CD , not usable in WvW , and the disappointing duration of only few minutes.

Ascalonian mage trasformation does not suffer all that problems.
-Ascalonian mage tonic : no CD , usable in WvW , duration 30 minutes (as consumable) and can be recasted immediatly after his effect dissapears.

Watchwork INFINITE tonic , is a reward for an event….it should be AT LEAST the same as the ascalonian mage tonic .

Oh please Arena Net , give us tonics lovers what we would like …. .
It’s only a tonic that does not even modify the character statistics,no reason for a so long CD…or for a CD at all !

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: scarface.1294

scarface.1294

i am very disappointed in Anet for making a tonic like that i thought the tonic was great but really a 30 min cool down with only 5 min use WTF? if it was a 20 min use with 30 min cool down i could see it happening but 5 mins is ridiculous i really hope i see a change to this tonic cause i worked hard to get it and now it seems pointless to use

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

also :
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/august-20-2013/

" Infinite Watchknight Tonic
Once you complete the Clockwork Chaos meta achievement, you’ll receive a tonic that allows you to transform into a Watchknight at any time. " .

Loled.

They forgot to mention " Anytime means : duration of the tonic is 5 minutes , and CD is 30 minutes".

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ayarai.3985

Ayarai.3985

When I first obtained the item, it seemed like a really cool reward for completing the meta achievement. However, that impression faded out really fast after realizing the illusion lasts for 5 minutes and can only be used every 30 minutes… Which turns a potentially cool reward in to a useless gimmick item that will more likely end up occupying a bank slot than one of my inventory slots.

Adding such a lenghty cooldown alongside with an incredibly short duration to a purely cosmetic fluff reward seems like a poor design choice and the only message it gets across is “no fun allowed”.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: citizankane.5723

citizankane.5723

I agree the description is misleading and it’s a bummer about the cooldown. Was looking forward to a break from “looking at the same old thing”, there is just nothing appealing about that.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I was extremely disappointed with this “infinite” tonic. I have several of them that I’ve worked to get (I like to collect tonics), and after working a lot ot get this one, I was really disappointed when it only lasted 5 minutes, and then it had a 25 minute CD! For the only major reward for the LS, besides just endlessly farming champions in a ‘spam 1’ type of event, it’s really quite the let down.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

While I appreciate being able to fight with it on. I’d appreciate a lot more if there wasn’t a 30 minute cooldown with a 5 minute duration on the tonic. Soooo if you could just fix that, that’d be great.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

Yes please, just remove the cool-down altogether…it’s so lame…only 5 minutes of use time and 30 mins cool-down? I really like the tonic it’s one of the best rewards in my opinion from completing an achievement set but please just remove the cool-down.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

For the people saying everyone is gonna use the watch knight skin constantly, nope…that’s not gonna happen, maybe at first but over time people won’t be doing it. If you noticed anything about previous events, everyone wanted that super adventure box greatsword, now look around, barely anyone has it. But I for one dislike the 5 minute duration time -_- it’s so useless, just please change it to last longer and take the cooldown off or something.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Kelnis.1829

Kelnis.1829

I’m incredibly skeptical about that post, I’m hopeful that it is true, however, it is quite possible they misunderstood what question that user had asked in their support ticket. The answer has a high chance to be in reference to the watchwork knight mini which has been confirmed for a fix soon.

That said, I really adore the idea of the combat tonic. I would prefer them to be usable on command (10 minute duration, 10 minute CD – so dying would see it go to waste, otherwise it’d be permanent), especially for the infinite variations. I hope they continue to offer interesting in combat rewards in the same vein.

One issue I have with the current iteration, though, is that changing maps removes the transformation. The CD should be lowered significantly (5 minute CD/5 minute duration) if that behavior is maintained.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

^
He told me he wanted a screenshot of the tonic, the 30 minute countdown, and the message saying you cant use it right now. What he did not tell me is what the fix is going to be but that is probly because employees cant do that because if something different was made from what he would/could have told me he could get introuble.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Slaugh.7839

Slaugh.7839

Hope the fixing will include WvW-usability. As Nirvana said, it should at least be as useful as asaclonian mage tonic

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Ingway.5106

Ingway.5106

Really sad about that too, it would be cool to use it in WvW too but it dosn’t work at all.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Gehirn.8796

Gehirn.8796

The star that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.

Or 1/6th as long in this case

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Slushey.8236

Slushey.8236

If they are worried people will just stay in the Watchknight form the entire time, it would be better to make it 10 minutes in the tonic with a 5 minute cooldown. For the people who actually want to play around in the tonic (like myself), this gives us plenty of time. For those who are always wearing the tonic, hopefully the 5 minute cooldown will put them off having to constantly select it. I honestly feel like 5 minutes with a 25 minute cooldown is ridiculous – I can barely even use it. I’d rather not be able to fight in the tonic form if it meant I could play as a Watchknight for longer.

Grand Duke Slushey of the Knîghtmare Court
Blackgate | Knîghtmare [KnM] | Knights of the Temple [KnT] | Attuned [Att]

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

If they are worried people will just stay in the Watchknight form the entire time…

This was EXACTLY what I wanted to do! Before I saw the cooldown and duration, I was about to make a new toon that I’d level all the way as a Clockwork. THAT would be cool. But with the 5 min. duration then a 25 minute wait… pfah.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

It allows you to transform completely and fight in it for 5 minutes? Isn’t that benefit enough? That you can transform and be unique?

No.

in Clockwork Chaos

Posted by: Unahim.1036

Unahim.1036

I want to use it to RP an Asura’s mechanical bodyguard! This won’t do.