A client for Linux

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Aneirin Cadwall.9126

Don’t go insulting OSX users just because you have some ridiculous notion about how they act. -_-

I hate to do this. Generalizations, etc. But it must be done.

I have only ever met two Mac enthusiasts in my lifetime that know anything at all about how computers work at a fundamental level.

Men who achieve some power desire more until they destroy themselves trying to get it.—Turai Ossa
Sanctum of Rall since beta 3. Mesmer since 1070 AE

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Don’t go insulting OSX users just because you have some ridiculous notion about how they act. -_-

I hate to do this. Generalizations, etc. But it must be done.

I have only ever met two Mac enthusiasts in my lifetime that know anything at all about how computers work at a fundamental level.

That’s less a fault in Mac fans, and more a fault in computer end-users in general.
Most folk want their rig “Plug ’N Play,” and could give a scale offa Zhaitan’s slimy
dragon- kitten about the “how.” (OR, they might just be real-worlder Skritt … Apple stuff’s “Shiny.”

As for a native Linux port … oh, Gods yes. As is, I got sick of Win8’s shoddy behaviour RE: dual-boots, and went full Manjaro. Playonlinux/WINE’re acceptable, but one could do a good deal better.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leios.8965

Leios.8965

I was actually quite surprised the other day when I walked into a new lab to work in and noticed that they use exclusively Apple products. Truth be told, Apple provides a decent UNIX environment with a fully functioning terminal without actually having to mess with your machine. For that reason, I have to give Apple some credit. At the same time, a majority of other researchers think Apple is of the devil (even worse than Microsoft, sometimes).

Still, I do agree with what has been posted before. If Anet is having trouble with their Mac port (which has obviously been prioritized over a linux one), chances any linux port is pretty far off in the future.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blimm.5028

Blimm.5028

Linux is sooo awesome Can someone make a gaming distribution? As to say an OS without any software unnecessary to gaming and optimized for it? Give it a neat UI and I bet pro gamers will stick to it when ever possible. The performance boost on an OS like this would kick… I bet even with windows native software… Winjunk out of its boots.
I have games written for windows running faster in wine on my stripped-down-mint then on windows 7.
If all the professional gaming runs via wine companies might start thinkin about linux native versions, thus giving an even larger performance thus making more companies turn. MS would have to pay companies to make games compatible with windows. Howd that be?

Ofc this is pumped up with ridiculous optimism.
Most likely this will never happen

Think With Portals [TWP]: 4th of 16 at Guildnews.de cup
Liane Frostfire – Elementalist [TWP] Ilona Frostfire – Mesmer [TWP]
Enya Frostfire – Mesmer [OMFG]

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: MehWhatever.1248

MehWhatever.1248

Linux is sooo awesome Can someone make a gaming distribution? As to say an OS without any software unnecessary to gaming and optimized for it? Give it a neat UI and I bet pro gamers will stick to it when ever possible. The performance boost on an OS like this would kick… I bet even with windows native software… Winjunk out of its boots.
I have games written for windows running faster in wine on my stripped-down-mint then on windows 7.
If all the professional gaming runs via wine companies might start thinkin about linux native versions, thus giving an even larger performance thus making more companies turn. MS would have to pay companies to make games compatible with windows. Howd that be?

Ofc this is pumped up with ridiculous optimism.
Most likely this will never happen

Mostly useless. Linux is much smarter about scheduling background processes, so the performance boost would be rather minor, especially on Wayland.

You may or may not know me as K900.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

- snip -

I know how you feel, but the fact of the matter is that WINE does not always match Windows performance. Actually, only on rare occasions is it good enough for the casual gamers, which means it most certainly is not good enough for top-tier gamers. Honestly, the only reason I play games on linux rather than Windows is because I have spent hours upon hours building my system to be precisely what I want it to be and cannot imagine giving that up just so I can run a game.

Also, any linux will do for a gaming distribution. More often than not, there is only a minuscule FPS difference between distros. I know that once AAA titles are released for linux, gamers will love the OS, but it will take some time for that to happen (maybe a decade or so). Until then, we’ve just gotta keep pushing our favorite games into linux territory.

Speaking of which, anyone have any news on the reported Blizzard linux game client? The announcement is supposed to come in sometime over the summer.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teisei.8719

Teisei.8719

Guild Wars 2 Linux client would be awesome. I say this because I’m a Linux gamer, and I really don’t want to use WINE.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

Just adding my +1 to this. I use Windows for one thing and one thing only – to play GW2 (the only game I’m playing atm). Linux for everything else.

Would be awesome to have a native client so I could ditch Windows completely.

Steam is coming to Linux, Steambox is going to be Ubuntu-powered, would rock to see GW2 hop on the Linux train too.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thee.1360

Thee.1360

I’m also using Windows exclusively to be able to play GW2, so I support this topic.

I am sure that if a Linux client would exist, even people who don’t currently own GW2 would buy it only to support the developers, just like it happened with Valve games.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: aramil moonmist.5914

aramil moonmist.5914

Running in wine suffering from low frame rate. I would be thrilled to see the gw2 staff at least talking to the people at wine to resolve the multi processors not being recognized bug, which seems to be the huge one for most people. (if not a full featured official client)

Linux users get no love from most mmos QQ

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: soulsuke.7913

soulsuke.7913

Actually, the multiple cpus issue in wine can be fixed: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674
Problem is, it won’t make GW2 run that much better. Looks like this wasn’t the main bottleneck.

Proud Opera and Debian Sid (unstable) user. And it won’t stop me from playing GW2! :p

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

Actually, the multiple cpus issue in wine can be fixed: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11674
Problem is, it won’t make GW2 run that much better. Looks like this wasn’t the main bottleneck.

Man! That’s so unfortunate! I just made sure the fix was, indeed, in my build of WINE… And then I logged on just to be sure. I’m Still getting abysmal FPS. I’m sad.

On a more positive note, because this game doesn’t work on my system, I have taken to doing productive things in my spare time.

With their new dev system (where they are cranking out living world content every two weeks) I doubt this issue will even be looked at until October when they are repeating the Mad King event. Even then, they probably have so much else on their plate that it won’t be until Wintersday that the devs even recognize that this suggestion thread is/was active.

In other words. This will be a slow and bumpy ride.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Yeah get a linux port out so that i can play it on my android tablet.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

With each new patch, playing GW2 on GNU/Linux is getting harder and painful.

Please, join the other game development companies in supporting Linux! For sure you’ll get new players. Linux gamers are very supportive of gamedevs who supports Linux.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Advent.6193

As an aside to my original post in this thread: Go figure …. I eventually did get Win8 to play well with Manjaro. Was a total skeeze, though.
[I blame a combo of: UEFI and a BIOS what doesn’t allow anything but W8 to be booted in UEFI Mode. Had to nuke W8 down to 1 partition, gdisk the GPT partition table to MBR, testdisk said partition back to normal, then install the Linux side BIOS-style. Hello, kludgefest.]

As for the overall dev luck. As others have mentioned, it’s arguable that most of the heavy lifting is already done. Mac’s “WINE” is close enough to standard, that one could
almost completely port the functionality directly from Mac > Linux.

Past that, our main issue’d be optimizations. As is, GW2 is not terribly well optimized for multiple CPUs, so we’re taking the main hit on one core. This bites for anyone running dual or above. Let alone if we’re considering Intel v. AMD systems.
[Although this may have been somewhat sneak-patched recently, since I’m seeing more FPS this week than in the rest of the month since I snagged this new comp. We’ll see also how much I gain from going from 4 > 8 Gb RAM, later in the week … hurry up, Amazon ]

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

I was playing on my armorless character, “Legless for Linux,” last night. I figured I’ll point out some of the glaring problems with GW2 and WINE in game:

1. Cannot pan camera more than 180 degrees without it getting caught. This makes jumping puzzles and combat quite difficult.

2. Abysmal FPS, which means no WvW or monthly content for me. I only get 5 FPS max in Lion’s Arch. This FPS is worse when changing the camera angle, so it might be correlated to the above bug. Also, it freezes for a moment any time anything new is loaded on the map.

3. Textures do not dynamically change. If a character don’s armor of a different shape, the shape will change, but the texture will remain the same. This means that if I dye my armor or change my character skin in character creation, I cannot tell unless I pan the camera really close or reload the map. No dyes for me. Also note that this was a bug in Guild Wars 1.

4. As an extension of the above bug, creatures and objects load incredibly slow, meaning I can see an enemy’s nameplate almost 30 seconds before the enemy appears. It makes end-game content nearly unplayable—after all, how am I supposed to fight a giant I cannot see?

5. Incredibly slow load times between maps.

1. Can not use chat without crashing the game. Fixed by adding the -dx9single tag to launch options.

2. Cannot use Trading post without patch—which is honestly a little difficult for newbies to do. That being said, they could use PlayOnLinux.

That being said, I still enjoy the game. I just don’t play it often due to the aforementioned bugs.

I would also like to point out that even if Linux is 1% of the marketshare (which it is not), we consistently match Mac sales on games that support our platform. Look at any humble sale, and you will see linux and mac, each consisting of ~15% of the profit. On top of that, Guild Wars 2 would be one of the first MMO’s switching to linux, meaning that most linux users would purchase the game in support. That is money in the bank, Anet! I think that it is a fantastic idea to at least talk to the people at Cedega—even if you don’t want to make the port yourselves.

If nothing else, when you design buildings or jumping puzzles, please use fewer spiral staircases. With WINE, my camera will not rotate that far without getting caught. Mad King’s Clock Tower was likely the most annoying task I have ever attempted on linux.

Thanks.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Apocallur.4395

Apocallur.4395

+1 signed to this request =)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Persian Mage.5617

Persian Mage.5617

+1 for GNU/Linux support !

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: HadesNuutz.5601

HadesNuutz.5601

+1 for GNU/Linux from here as well!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

soulsuke.7913

@Jazhara Knightmage.4389: you clearly misunderstood the meaning of that video. Do you even know who Lunduke is or what he thinks? Because that’s more like a constructive critic about linux developement rather than an attack. You probably just googled “linux sucks” and pasted the first link you’ve found… And failed quite badly.

1. No, not really, nope. I’m not even gonna try to explain this to you. I highly doubt you’d even follow me pas the word “driver”, probably. Especially if you believe they shouldn’t be in kernel space.

2. This has already been covered quite in detail in older posts.

3. Nope. You must have missed this discussion in the earlier posts as well.

4. Right. And Apple users will buy for 900$ anything with an Apple logo over it, and Windows users will try to pour cold water on a pc to cool it down. Yes, of course I’m joking. Too bad I’m quite sure you weren’t.

As for everythog else you said… BSD isn’t closer at all, and this comes from a former BSD enthusiast. Just check how the audio works there. Really.
And Linux IS more secure (than Windows) by default. Do yo ueven know where windows’ vulnerabilities come from? No, of course not. Because if you did, you’d know that it’s because of Windows’ core design.
Of course, nothing is unhackable, that’s true. That’s also a reason why OSs evolve. And… Given I’m talking with some kind of amateur (which, of course, will entitle himself as an IT expert with hunders of years of experience, if not the creator of Unics itself), I feel I should point out how a computers’ infrastructure isn’t only composed of the computers liked to it. The security systems include usually a large number of routers, switches, and self-configured (if not even self-built) firewalls. So yeah, nobody expects a Linux pc to be able to whitstand alone a full scale hacker attack. But again, it does add another layer of defense.
Also, just to point this out as well… Linux has a lot of malware. From memory exploits, to rootkits, to any kind of nasty stuff. But to make them work, you do have to execute them with root privileges. They don’t just start themselves up opening a jpeg file or browsing the net, unless you actually type in your root password. Here, we call it a “problem between keyboard and chair” type of error

Oh, I almost forgot.

I suggest you lintards watch this

I feel quite offended by this. Your post was quite provocatory, and you obviously didn’t read this topic at all. While you may say it was only a joke, there have already been enough “smart kids” who’d drop by to lay random insults and repeat the same (mostly wrong) things over and over again (probably without understanding them, even), and I’m quite sure you’re one of them as well.

PS. I’m sorry for any typo in this message, it’s quite late here :p

Proud Opera and Debian Sid (unstable) user. And it won’t stop me from playing GW2! :p

(edited by soulsuke.7913)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thee.1360

Thee.1360

@Jazhara Knightmage.4389
You really don’t know what you are talking about… and as soulsuke.7913 already made a good reply I’m not gonna go into it too.

Although, I am going to say, that drivers issues are kinda of a chicken and egg situation. ATI and Nvidia don’t write good drivers because there are not many game developers for linux, and there are not many game developers for Linux because ATI and Nvidia dont write good drivers for Linux and update them regularly. And thats exactly why someone has to start, Valve started and rest should follow!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

soulsuke.7913

Man! That’s so unfortunate! I just made sure the fix was, indeed, in my build of WINE… And then I logged on just to be sure. I’m Still getting abysmal FPS. I’m sad.

On a more positive note, because this game doesn’t work on my system, I have taken to doing productive things in my spare time.

With their new dev system (where they are cranking out living world content every two weeks) I doubt this issue will even be looked at until October when they are repeating the Mad King event. Even then, they probably have so much else on their plate that it won’t be until Wintersday that the devs even recognize that this suggestion thread is/was active.

In other words. This will be a slow and bumpy ride.

Actually… I have good news!
The multiple cpus patch alone doesn’t solve all our issues, but using LD_PRELOAD=“libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1” and __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 along with it, I actually get decent fps in open world and dungeons! It still isn’t as good as on Windows, but it’s a start!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Advent.6193

Actually… I have good news!
The multiple cpus patch alone doesn’t solve all our issues, but using LD_PRELOAD=“libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1” and __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 along with it, I actually get decent fps in open world and dungeons! It still isn’t as good as on Windows, but it’s a start!

Interesting. How well does this function in a WvW situation? I was originally eating 10-15 fps in open world. Being able to do 15 in a zerg-scrap might be worth another attempt.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pailong.1508

Pailong.1508

+1 for GNU/Linux support.

In fact I just have Windows for playing games… Linux is 10 times better for working.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

soulsuke.7913

That’d depend on the settings and the hardware I guess… I can say I get about 30-35 fps in open world and dungeons, but I haven’t tried a big zerg yet

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

Interesting. How well does this function in a WvW situation? I was originally eating 10-15 fps in open world. Being able to do 15 in a zerg-scrap might be worth another attempt.

I actually created a file that runs everything, and then copied the file into my /usr/bin. Here are the contents of the file

export WINEDEBUG=-all
export LD_PRELOAD=“libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1”
export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMISATIONS=1
taskset -c 0-3 primusrun wine “/path/to/gw2.exe” -dx9single -testVerticalFov

Now, every time I type “gw2” into my terminal, the game runs well enough. Because I use the terminal for literaly everything on my computer, this solution works best for me.

For me, at least, this eke’s out a few more (sometimes a full 10FPS). In Queensdale, for example, I can typically get 25 FPS when not in combat or moving the camera. Also, it should be noted that if you tilt your camera angle down a little bit (especially while in combat when you don’t necessarily need to see EVERYTHING in front of you), it bumps FPS up a little.

In the end, my card still gets low FPS in WvW and in towns and outposts, but I think it’s because of a well known bug peeking in from Guild Wars 1. Basically, any time anything new is loaded around you, the latency spikes for a quarter of a second. There is, of course, also the standard issue of having so many players fighting each other at once which would lower FPS too. All in all, if it’s just me and a few other people that I can see, I still get 15-20FPS. If there are a lot of people (like a zerg of sorts), my FPS drops to around 6. You might have a stronger card than I do, though, I’ve got an Nvidia 310M (with optimus, if you couldn’t tell from my gw2 file)

Hope it helps!

As a side note: Are there any linux guilds to join or worlds that are somewhat linux-centric?

(edited by Leios.8965)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

soulsuke.7913

@Leios: hey, it looks like my script as well! Although I linked it in a .desktop file, I don’t like to keep terminal tabs busy… It just bothers me somehow lol

By the way, I’m using a GTX 560M (with Optimus disabled, thank Lyssa)… So yeah, this workaround is pretty hardware dependant. It’s a shame really, but this is the best we got so far, I believe… Unless we start pressing both ANet and the Wine dev team :p

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

@Leios: hey, it looks like my script as well! Although I linked it in a .desktop file, I don’t like to keep terminal tabs busy… It just bothers me somehow lol

By the way, I’m using a GTX 560M (with Optimus disabled, thank Lyssa)… So yeah, this workaround is pretty hardware dependant. It’s a shame really, but this is the best we got so far, I believe… Unless we start pressing both ANet and the Wine dev team :p

Yeah, I run it as “gw2 &” so I can keep the terminal up and running. When I’m gaming, I typically have a code running too so I like to keep the output on either the same desktop or the next desktop over.

That being said, if we could create a linux guild or some place for linux-users to gather in-game, it might be easier to get people playing on linux and thus help the developers see that a linux client is most certainly a worthwhile pursuit

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cedric.2563

Cedric.2563

I would like to have a Linux client to !!!
Using wine wasn’t possible for serious playing so I had to install a windows OS for the first time since 5 years !

But …as an economic and less time consuming workaround, I think it should be possible for Arena dev’s working to get a more “WINE complient” client and so a decent gaming experience via WINE. (?)

Whatever they choose, the most important thing is : We are thousands (and maybe millions) of happy linux users, we really would like to be happy linux players of GW2 !

(edited by Cedric.2563)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: constantLogic.3486

constantLogic.3486

WINE is not really an option for everyday play, and as sad as it sounds, we’re likely never to see GW2 become Linux-native. DirectX is only the beginning of the problem, and I can’t wait to see the kitten thing die because of things like this. I am so tired of booting into Windughs just to play this game, but I think it shows how much we enjoy it at the same time.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: pravus.4270

pravus.4270

arena net, seriously… make it happen!!!!!!!!!!
tired of playing on wine/POL with crappy fps.
i tried to start a kickstarter project for Anet/Ncsoft to hire a dev or two to porting, but since im not a us/uk resident i can’t start it. would love for someone else to start it tho!
cheers!

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

arena net, seriously… make it happen!!!!!!!!!!
tired of playing on wine/POL with crappy fps.
i tried to start a kickstarter project for Anet/Ncsoft to hire a dev or two to porting, but since im not a us/uk resident i can’t start it. would love for someone else to start it tho!
cheers!

Kickstarter won’t accept such things. You’ll need ANet to agree to do the porting with the money raised before starting a campaign.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Leios.8965

In this case, I don’t think it is so much a funding problem as it is a time problem. Anet has stretched themselves pretty thin. Kickstarter would only act as a medium to show how much the community cares about a linux client (and I don’t think it is meant for that). Even then, I highly doubt the devs will even think about anything beyond a cedega port.

As a side note, Valve has said that Dota 2 will be out “soon” for linux (and mac). Not that that is entirely surprising. Still, it’s another popular title that is soon to work on linux, and maybe that’s enough to get Anet to think about linux again.

(edited by Leios.8965)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

In this case, I don’t think it is so much a funding problem as it is a time problem. Anet has stretched themselves pretty thin. Kickstarter would only act as a medium to show how much the community cares about a linux client (and I don’t think it is meant for that). Even then, I highly doubt the devs will even think about anything beyond a cedega port.

As a side note, Valve has said that Dota 2 will be out “soon” for linux (and mac). Not that that is entirely surprising. Still, it’s another popular title that is soon to work on linux, and maybe that’s enough to get Anet to think about linux again.

Well, Dota runs on Source. Not surprising really.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: joules.2516

joules.2516

+1
would be greatly appreciated

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: thorgall.6501

thorgall.6501

As a matter of fact they released a “test build” a day after the announcement, this guy was pretty fast at providing some proof . It doesn’t look to be a fully functional build though.

On-topic: a native OpenGL port would be soo soo awesome for Linux (& Mac OS X, maybe even Windows…), but I can understand that that’s an unrealistic wish considering the amount of work/time/money that it would require compared to the potential Linux playerbase.

Like others here, I’ve tried the Cider port for Mac OS X, and it worked pretty well (at least better than just plain Wine), so I’m also wondering what keeps transgaming/ANet from modifying their Cider port to make a Cedega port… to my knowledge those are just 2 versions of Wine tweaked by the same company. It should therefore be practically possible to do this.. and probably even profitable too. I can see that porting to Linux via Wine might be harder than porting to Mac OS X via Wine in general , but yeah, the Humble Bundles, Valve… show it: Linux users pay when they’re getting games .

Oh, just giving communicating about ANet current plans for supporting Linux would indeed be nice, since the last official statement I found came from an interview in december 2012… (dunno if it is already posted here somewhere) :

You know, it’s something that we check around every now and then, but there’s no one actively working on it right now, and we won’t be working on it in the near future. But we have talked about it, yes.

Is ANet still “checking around every now and then” and has this “near future” already passed? Or if there will never be a port?… ppl here are eager to know.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: iPsycho.6542

iPsycho.6542

+1 for linux support

Been there. Done that.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

+1 I dont like to dual boot since my machine acts as a server for some minor work, but i have just a small partition for windows and gw2, even gw1 i play on linux

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: aDh wOop.8491

aDh wOop.8491

+1 for linux support. Also i don’t fully understand why there is this whole debate over which os is better in this thread. people have there preferences and i don’t see why its necessary for mac and windows users to come in here and say that it’s pointless to make a client for linux. What do you care there is already a client for your os.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolficus.3425

Wolficus.3425

+1 for linux support.
i realize that this would take a deal of time and effort to do but i do feel more comfortable using linux.
yeah i dual boot windows .. mainly for gaming. would be nice if i didn’t have to though.
i am not going to get into the giant debate over which is better :p just use what you like and what is more comfortable

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Yeah get a linux port out so that i can play it on my android tablet.

full opengl port hummmmm tasty opengl.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

+1 for linux support

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aluano.1826

Aluano.1826

Very very very few percentage of the people use Linux, what makes you think that they would spend money developing a client for such a small userbase?

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

MehWhatever.1248

Very very very few percentage of the people use Linux, what makes you think that they would spend money developing a client for such a small userbase?

Them getting more money back. There are no MMORPGs on Linux. It’s a whole new market that is for once ready to pay for any game that gets a port.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Archerion.6293

Archerion.6293

+ 1 for linux client

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: spad.7328

spad.7328

+1 for linux

I’m an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS user. I play GW2 using PlayOnLinux but I get low FPS and the trading post is very slow. The game is playable for exploring and doing events, but I can’t enjoy PvP or Dungeons. This is the main reason why I often prefer playing other MMOs (WoW). I would appreciate a native linux client.

(edited by spad.7328)

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: capsula.6914

capsula.6914

+1 client for linux

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blaxar.4102

Blaxar.4102

I’d like to have the game running natively on GNU/Linux distributions too.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blaises.3804

Blaises.3804

I would love to see a linux client. I’d be totally wiling spend money on a gemstore item that did nothing but fund someone to work on the linux client.

A client for Linux

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

as much as I’d like linux clinet… ain’t gonna happen
Unfortunately anet wrote the kitten thing using D3D for rendering instead of OpenGL and porting whole rendering engine to OGL would not be profitable.