in Suggestions

Posted by: Agaetis.4518

Agaetis.4518

/signed They need to fix this!!

An option to disable right click targeting

in Suggestions

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Well, it’s nice to see we’re at least getting some attention. Thanks for the update – as you might have noticed, we had pretty much lost all hope that this was ever going to be addressed.

If anything, this has become a bigger problem than it was on release. We now have skills like Spatial Surge, Lightning Arc and Confusing Images that reward targeting foes at the back of a pack – it’s often hard enough in the first place to get a lock on the target you want without losing it to a subconscious camera-adjust.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Suggestions

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

And maybe reconsider the whole “Walked off the screen = Not a target anymore!” policy.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alfred Nobel.2914

Alfred Nobel.2914

Yes. Fix this. Sometimes it’s quite hard to find a empty corner to left click in.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

Fix this, please, I keep targeting players instead of the boss. You can imagine how frustrating is this when you’re ranged character in a zerg.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

While the bugged targeting behavior is getting reverted in PvP, our stance on the issue is the same. A lot of us here have similar feelings; I hate losing my target and then warrior greatsword rushing off a cliff! Some features and polish just slip through the cracks and/or we don’t have enough developer time to address every concern. We appreciate all the feedback and I’m sure these issues will be addressed soon

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in Suggestions

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Evan you’re cool guy, but
what is Anet’s stance on a 9 month bug, exactly?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Fix this, please, I keep targeting players instead of the boss. You can imagine how frustrating is this when you’re ranged character in a zerg.

For that we need to make “Show enemies” hide ally names and prevent selecting them, and “show allies” hide enemy names and prevent selecting them, so you can press the button and show what you want wile keeping the rest out of the way.

Currently, when you press Ctrl/Alt to show enemies/allies, hovering over an ally/enemy will still show them.
That is annoying as hell.

Also, Ctrl and Alt should be a toggle or have an option to be toggleable instead having to keep them pressed.
Because most people have hands made out of living flesh, not everlasting and indefatigable cyborg claws able to stay in the same position all the time without hurting.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

It’s been 9 months man. Don’t sit here say this will be looked at. This should have been implement day one. Quit making all this content that disapears in two weeks and focus on fixing the core of the game (in a timely manner). This is a hideous oversight along with select enemy only. Games several years older have buttons implemented to highlight and select NPCs or enemies through players.

Yes, I know there are two different teams working on live content and fixes. Well guess what, either move the live resources to fixes or fire that team and hire a new one. Better yet, fire both and higher a brand new team that can actually fix it.

RIP in peace Robert

in Suggestions

Posted by: bramblefeet.4385

bramblefeet.4385

We appreciate all the feedback and I’m sure these issues will be addressed soon

While I’m glad to hear it, please make this a priority change. It’s a significant issue that seems to affect a huge proportion of your users and has been requested literally thousands of times since launch. It’s a tiny change with a massive quality of life impact.

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

For that we need to make “Show enemies” hide ally names and prevent selecting them, and “show allies” hide enemy names and prevent selecting them, so you can press the button and show what you want wile keeping the rest out of the way.

Currently, when you press Ctrl/Alt to show enemies/allies, hovering over an ally/enemy will still show them.
That is annoying as hell.

Also, Ctrl and Alt should be a toggle or have an option to be toggleable instead having to keep them pressed.
Because most people have hands made out of living flesh, not everlasting and indefatigable cyborg claws able to stay in the same position all the time without hurting.

While I’m not against your suggestion, I think fixing the right-click problem would go a long way toward fixing that particular issue.

As long as you can find the target once (whether by clicking or by pressing Tab to cycle through enemies visible on your screen), you should be fine… In theory. In practice, you’re only fine until you turn your camera. If that’s fixed, it should be far less of an issue.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Was it a typo/not completed sentence on the new patch notes then?

Quote:
“Structured PvP Right-click targeting of enemy players has been re-enabled.
"

Nowhere does it mention anything about spectating….

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

While the bugged targeting behavior is getting reverted in PvP, our stance on the issue is the same. A lot of us here have similar feelings; I hate losing my target and then warrior greatsword rushing off a cliff! Some features and polish just slip through the cracks and/or we don’t have enough developer time to address every concern. We appreciate all the feedback and I’m sure these issues will be addressed soon

This is all we wanted. Someone to let us know that this hasn’t been completly overlooked, though forgive my skeptisism as your post is very close to the last one we got 6 months ago.
We don’t want you guys to redesign the way targeting works, We just want a toggle to turn off right click targeting.
And I know this is going to go by the wayside but any chance of the ability to turn off left CTRL from linking skills when you click them while holding it down? Or the ability to rebind this function to another key? Left CTRL has been my push to talk key since GW1.

(edited by Kaaboose.3897)

in Suggestions

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

From now on, whenever I make a suggestion, I’m going to write it from a PvP perspective. Apparently that’s the only thing Anet cares about. Their precious little PvP baby.

Don’t get me wrong, I love PvP, I loved GvG and HA. But Gw2 PvP is so silly, I don’t understand why they think it’s the only thing in the game they should care about.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evning.8495

Evning.8495

not to be a jerk, but why isnt this fixed before the dredge fractal? =d

after that, i feel the next living stories should be a tyrian wide effort to commit genocide on the dredge. they arnt really useful to the society anyhow. think of it as the decision of the government of each race, after careful consideration regarding the events of Flame and Frost.

Something really edgy, with the potential to make players feel guilty but still be able to reason that it was neccessary, in the name of peace, and sanity.

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

:D

No seriously… more like :|

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

What the hell does ‘our stance on the issue is the same’ mean? The fact that it took you 3 months to say ‘yeah yeah, we know’ to a thread, and then 6 more months to say ‘yep, we still know’ makes me think your stance is ‘we don’t give a rat’s kitten ’.

Also, the fact that it took you a couple of mere minutes to reply to a PvP thread regarding the same issue, and fixing it a day or 2 later gives me the impression your stance is ‘we just care about PvP’ers, kitten the PvE’ers’.

Also, what kind of bullkitten is that statement about ‘some features and polish slip through the cracks and/or we don’t have enough developer time to address every concern’. So, apparently it’s considered too much developer time to address a concern people have been bugging you about FOR 9 MONTHS. But it’s not too much developer time to install boulders and invisible walls for a couple of non-issues in an instanced that is riddled with actually game-breaking bugs. Just so you can make the runs take a measly 2 minutes longer? Oh, not only that, but all the time spent on placing those boulders and invisible walls is even in vain, because they don’t even fix the ‘problem’ you thought you should have fixed.

Get your priorities straight and stop hiring incompetent kittens who are too lazy to test their own fixes. Your bug fixing department is a disgrace and to be honest, a total joke.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

in Suggestions

Posted by: calumwilson.9574

calumwilson.9574

Agreed, it needs to be fixed and can be very annoying. Also a camera that turns with mouse movement without having to hold right click would be nice too.

/signed

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrt.2498

Marrt.2498

I was testing the temporary fix as it was online, it was rather strange, they disabled the right click targeting of “enemy Players”. Targeting of minions/pets/clone or your allies with RightClick was still possible…

Anet, seriously… ? can you please release the source-part of the right click input handling. I am pretty confident that i can fix it

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

Whilst you`re at it, can you code the game not to move forwards when LMB & RMB pressed at the same time?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Whilst you`re at it, can you code the game not to move forwards when LMB & RMB pressed at the same time?

THAT yes. please.

controls overall need so many fixes it’s sad

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

This thread jumped from 16k views to over 21k views in a day.
How does that not address the fact that thousands of people want this simple issue fixed?
While I am happy that there was a response from Anet, I am severely disappointed that it took one pvp comment and it was patched the next day while hundreds of posts regarding what many feel is a game breaking issue still gets the generic “we are looking at it” dev quote.
Enough is enough already.
Fix the issue ASAP please or at least let us know that your working on it right now!
The level of frustration is justified in this instance!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

in Suggestions

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Disabling right-click to attack/interact is certainly the safest first approach to this issue. There are two problems, though. Anytime you have camera-look and targeting on the same input, you will have conflicting behavior. There isn’t a bug that targets are randomly selected, but rather the game trying to be smart at recognizing clicks versus camera movement. Even when you think you’re perfectly clicking on a target, most of the time you’re also moving the camera a tiny, tiny bit. There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection. Lowering this threshold will reduce the chances of this happening, but is one of those numbers where we need to sit on it for a while to see if it ‘feels right’. The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement. However, completely splitting those is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change. I hope this helps clear up what’s happening and what steps we’ll take to change it. Thank you again for all the feedback!

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

Woah, paragraph alert!!

So in other words, there will not be a sensible option to disable/enable this?

/sigh

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrt.2498

Marrt.2498

Just add a stupid toggle… tweaking timing/mousemovement thresholds… how stubborn are you guys? The same kitten as with the FOV problematic. If it wasn’t for a third party FOV-tool to set my fov to 65(vert) i would have quit long ago.

You will just procrastinate and then say: no, we can’t because: look at all these reasons we imaginated

Don’t you get that this is a PC-game? Look at the Borderlands 2 Option menu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak7Sqs_ituU

…the Fugg

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

Disabling right-click to attack/interact is certainly the safest approach to this issue. Anytime you have camera-look and targeting on the same input, you will have conflicting behavior. There isn’t a bug that targets are randomly selected, but rather the game trying to be smart at recognizing clicks versus camera movement. Even when you think you’re perfectly clicking on a target, most of the time you’re also moving the camera a tiny, tiny bit. There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection. Lowering this threshold will reduce the chances of this happening, but is one of those numbers where we need to sit on it for a while to see if it ‘feels right’. The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement. However, this is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change. I hope this helps clear up what’s happening and what steps we’ll take to change it. Thank you again for all the feedback!

Thank you for looking into this!

I would encourage you to be liberal in the reduction of the right-click selection window. If it’s too small, we won’t notice, because we (the people posting here) don’t use right-click for target selection (not intentionally, at least). If you go too far, most of us will be pretty happy.

If you don’t go far enough, on the other hand, we’ll probably start complaining again. We’ll still have the targeting problem, but we’ll be worried that you think you’ve fixed the problem and won’t feel the need to make further adjustments, so we’ll just keep complaining out of fear and desperation. So if there’s any doubt, please remember to communicate with us much more openly on this issue than you have in the 8 months prior to this week.

It’s nothing personal, it’s just an issue that many of us obviously feel pretty passionate about.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Muramasma.1570

Muramasma.1570

Do people actually use the right-click to target? That blows my mind. It’s so… senseless.

As for the spectator thing, how are you prioritizing spectators over players? What will the spectators be watching if the players get shafted too many times and leave?

Drekbury – Anvil Rock

Ele / Warrior / Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Disabling right-click to attack/interact is certainly the safest approach to this issue. Anytime you have camera-look and targeting on the same input, you will have conflicting behavior. There isn’t a bug that targets are randomly selected, but rather the game trying to be smart at recognizing clicks versus camera movement. Even when you think you’re perfectly clicking on a target, most of the time you’re also moving the camera a tiny, tiny bit. There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection. Lowering this threshold will reduce the chances of this happening, but is one of those numbers where we need to sit on it for a while to see if it ‘feels right’. The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement. However, this is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change. I hope this helps clear up what’s happening and what steps we’ll take to change it. Thank you again for all the feedback!

sorry but, what ‘feels right’ only feels right for some and never for all. Without adding hard options nothing is fixed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tub.4560

Tub.4560

There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection.

One of the issues is that the threshold is a movement threshold only.

I can right click, keep the button pressed for a long time with only tiny camera movements, and when I release it’ll still count as a click. Since I usually just keep the right button pressed during combat, that happens fairly often.

Adding a time threshold would greatly improve the situation without any requirements for additional settings, UI changes or localisations, i.e. the stuff that always takes much longer than any sane person would believe.

in Suggestions

Posted by: zanzoken.7698

zanzoken.7698

Please it is really simple. Just seperate the selection and so on from the camera movement.

Just use the right-click for the camera ONLY. Every other game does this.

I do not even know why I should need to target (OR EVEN AUTO ATTACK) with my camera button? The players are not stupid, they actually can use the right and left mouse button at the same time.

Please do not use any fancy algortihms, just seperate the camera from anything else. Thank you.

P.S.: Plesase do not tell me it is too time consuming to do it. Just remove the kitten bindings….

(edited by zanzoken.7698)

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection.

One of the issues is that the threshold is a movement threshold only.

I can right click, keep the button pressed for a long time with only tiny camera movements, and when I release it’ll still count as a click. Since I usually just keep the right button pressed during combat, that happens fairly often.

Adding a time threshold would greatly improve the situation without any requirements for additional settings, UI changes or localisations, i.e. the stuff that always takes much longer than any sane person would believe.

My “+1” button doesn’t seem to be working (it appears to forget itself when I refresh the page), but I agree with this guy and support his suggestion.

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Whoa! That’s a completely different issue and would completely screw up how I move in this game (and in every other MMO I’ve played, all of them have used double button press to move). I don’t use the keyboard to move or turn except for short position adjustments.

If it’s a toggle, as most everyone is asking on the right click targeting which is the focus of this thread, fine.

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

Whoa! That’s a completely different issue and would completely screw up how I move in this game (and in every other MMO I’ve played, all of them have used double button press to move). I don’t use the keyboard to move or turn except for short position adjustments.

If it’s a toggle, as most everyone is asking on the right click targeting which is the focus of this thread, fine.

Wow, never heard of anyone using both buttons to move, seems bizarre to me, but as an option that`d be best for all

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

Wow, never heard of anyone using both buttons to move, seems bizarre to me, but as an option that`d be best for all

You don’t always have both your hands on the desk. Moving with both buttons can sometimes be pretty handy when you’re lazily going from the TP to the bank in LA, or when you’re drinking a cup of tea with your left hand

Rarely use it in combat though. Except when I’m going akitten (<= the forums censoring “Away From Keyboard”… this thing never ceases to amaze me) and some mob randomly spawns on my face and I need to gtfo, if I’m doing something irl it’s not necesarily possible to reach my keyboard :P

(edited by Tauril.8504)

in Suggestions

RoyHarmon.5398

You don’t always have both your hands on the desk. Moving with both buttons can sometimes be pretty handy when you’re lazily going from the TP to the bank in LA, or when you’re drinking a cup of tea with your left hand

Yeah, I usually have a dog in my lap and pet him while I play, since my G600 lets me perform most functions with one hand. The 2-button-hold is pretty handy (no pun intended).

- C. S. Lewis

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

Ah, another leftie eh?
Black no sugar please, got biccies?
I`ve never used both, but I`ve gone from a keyboard turner many moons ago to a full on meece pest, but as r`click, this should be an option also.

Either way, I bet it`ll be a cold day in he, I mean Tyria before we ever see these

in Suggestions

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Disabling right-click to attack/interact is certainly the safest first approach to this issue. There are two problems, though. Anytime you have camera-look and targeting on the same input, you will have conflicting behavior. There isn’t a bug that targets are randomly selected, but rather the game trying to be smart at recognizing clicks versus camera movement. Even when you think you’re perfectly clicking on a target, most of the time you’re also moving the camera a tiny, tiny bit. There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection. Lowering this threshold will reduce the chances of this happening, but is one of those numbers where we need to sit on it for a while to see if it ‘feels right’. The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement. However, completely splitting those is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change. I hope this helps clear up what’s happening and what steps we’ll take to change it. Thank you again for all the feedback!

But left click already selects! There’s no need to take months of fine tuning the tolerance of right click camera move until it feels right if you disabled completely the right click select/double click effect!

Nothing of value would be lost doing that :/

in Suggestions

Posted by: SmileyCute.8539

SmileyCute.8539

void AllInOneSmartCameraAttackInteractFunction(MouseCursor mc, MouseButton mb) {
	if (mc.movement <= TINY.BIT) {

// FIX: Ugly workaround but quick fix
		if (mb.WhatAmI == mb.RIGHT_CLICK && Settings.DISABLE_RCLICK_ATTK_INTERACT == true) {
			return; // IGNORE
		}

doAttackOrInteractTarget(mc, mb);
	} else {
		doCameraMovement(mc, mb);
	}
}

(edited by SmileyCute.8539)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Thank you! Although your response is a rather negative one, at least you’re giving a response and telling us you’re working on it. You know, this thread would have a lot less rage and angry words and spite if you responded more… Not saying anything for 6 months is adding insult to injury…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

in Suggestions

Posted by: DrWhom.3105

DrWhom.3105

The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement. However, completely splitting those is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change.

Could we have some further clarification as to why exactly this is? Why is making right click only move the camera (which seems logical and is more consistent with other games) such a broad reaching change? Also if you guys have a specific reason that right click needs to target at all, I think it’d be interesting to hear since it seems so baffling/pointless.

MAG

in Suggestions

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

void AllInOneSmartCameraAttackInteractFunction(MouseCursor mc, MouseButton mb) {
	if (mc.movement <= TINY.BIT) {

// FIX: Ugly workaround but quick fix
		if (mb.WhatAmI == mb.RIGHT_CLICK && Settings.DISABLE_RCLICK_ATTK_INTERACT == true) {
			return; // IGNORE
		}

doAttackOrInteractTarget(mc, mb);
	} else {
		doCameraMovement(mc, mb);
	}
}

Couple bugs with this logic:

It throws away valid camera movements that are below the threshold when Settings.DISABLE_RCLICK_ATTK_INTERACT is set. I think the camera movement itself should still be processed, regardless of whether or not something is being selected.

Also, if there is a small camera movement (<= TINY.BIT) with no associated right-click, this code would automatically cause a target selection.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alesthes.4287

Alesthes.4287

Wow, I don’t actually get how anyone could NOT use both buttons to move. I can thus focus my left hand just on right-left strafing and skills. It greatly improves my time of reaction while being constantly on the move.
To each his own, but I am honestly surprised someone can be surprised by people using that option…

- Guild Wars 2 Roleplayers Community
Piken Square – EU Unofficial RP server
Tarnished Coast – US Unofficial RP server

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Disabling right-click to attack/interact is certainly the safest first approach to this issue. There are two problems, though. Anytime you have camera-look and targeting on the same input, you will have conflicting behavior.

Solution = Do NOT bind two behaviors to the same input. At least not by default. If the end user chooses to bind their keys or mouse buttons that way, that’s their choice (though I can’t imagine why anyone would voluntarily choose to do so in this instance).

Would you program it so the H key opens both the player’s hero panel AND their inventory at the same time? Of course not! That would be ridiculous, right? Maybe now you begin to see just how ridiculous it is to bind camera movement/character turning AND target selection to the right mouse button.

There isn’t a bug that targets are randomly selected, but rather the game trying to be smart at recognizing clicks versus camera movement.

Solution = Do NOT bind two behaviors to the same input. Then the game doesn’t have to be “smart” about differentiating one from the other (which it’s failing miserably at, by the way).

Even when you think you’re perfectly clicking on a target, most of the time you’re also moving the camera a tiny, tiny bit.

This statement demonstrates the devs gross misunderstanding of the problem. We’re NOT trying to use the right mouse button to click targets; we’re trying to use the right mouse button to move the camera/turn our characters. The fact that it selects targets – to our great frustration and disappointment – is due to someone somewhere inside ArenaNet thinking it would be a good idea to bind two behaviors to the same input.

Solution = Do NOT bind two behaviors to the same input.

There is a small threshold that determines whether your tiny movement should actually be a target selection. Lowering this threshold will reduce the chances of this happening, but is one of those numbers where we need to sit on it for a while to see if it ‘feels right’.

Since this statement reinforces the previous one by demonstrating that the devs haven’t a clue what the real issue is, I’ll repeat myself.

We do NOT use the right mouse button to select targets; we want to use it to move the camera/turn our characters and NOTHING ELSE. In light of this, there is no need for thresholds or sitting on it for a while to see if it “feels right”. As long as target selection is bound to the right mouse button, it will always feel wrong no matter how you tweak the thresholds.

The problem could also be solved by completely separating the different functionality of selection, auto-attacking, and camera movement.

Now you’re talkin’. This should have been done from day one. The fact that ArenaNet chose to bind two functions to a single mouse button will be one of the great mysteries which – though it may never be solved – will become a cautionary tale to future game programming students when told by their instructors, “Don’t pull a GW2 by binding two behaviors to a single input!

However, completely splitting those is not something we’re prepared to work on at the moment as it is a much broader-reaching change.

Thanks for the honesty of this statement. However, we’re not asking that you split them up at this point. We recognize that the work involved to do so is beyond the resources of ArenaNet at present. All we’re asking for is a simple toggle that disables the ability of the right mouse button to select targets.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

(edited by Kraag Deadsoul.2789)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

(continued)

I hope this helps clear up what’s happening and what steps we’ll take to change it. Thank you again for all the feedback!

It clears up nothing. Beneath the corporate double-speak and evasiveness, the statements above amount to, “We’re not going to add an option to disable target selection using the right mouse button.” This, despite it being a simple change.

Before anyone comes to the defense of ArenaNet trying to argue using the classic, “How do you know it’s simple? Are you a programmer?”, the answer is, “Yes, I am a programmer.” I may not be a games programmer, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t grasp what it would take to fix this issue. I can assure you it isn’t difficult despite the devs statements to the contrary. Heck, poster SmilyCute coded a solution above already. Granted, it’s more difficult than simply copy-pasting that code; but not by much.

The answer to the question, “Is it really that hard to code a toggle to turn off this behavior?” is, “No, it’s not that hard at all.” Which leaves us with the willingness – or unwillingness, in this case – of the devs to get over whatever personal preference or vision they’re married to of how they think camera movement/character turning and target selection should function and give that control over to the players, instead (as should have been from day 1).

Adding the toggle we’ve been requesting takes nothing away from the current behavior. For those who want to continue using the right mouse button to move the camera/turn their characters and select targets, that option will still exist; they are not inconvenienced by this change. For those who desperately want to toggle off this frustrating behavior, our needs would then be accommodated; we’d no longer be inconvenienced. Win-win.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

(edited by Kraag Deadsoul.2789)

in Suggestions

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

My post wasn’t meant to be negative, but to shed more light on an issue that isn’t as simple as it appears. We anticipated an increase in usability problems from other game features which is why we’ve already begun to address the problem. The current implementation will see revisions.

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

It is pretty simple. Toggle button in options menu to disable right click selecting targets. Done.

Retired. Too many casuals.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ChyrosNX.1834

ChyrosNX.1834

That’s the problem when you try to simplify things when it shouldn’t. Combining Camera and Attack/Interact is a, sorry for the word, dumb move. It really feels very iOS implementation on a PC platform. Who does that? Only Chuck Norris can play a game where one button does everything:

No enemy targeted – Camera movement
Has enemy targeted – One-hit-kill using Roundhouse
Door – Open door using Roundhouse kick
Wall – There is no wall
Cancer patient – Cure!

And that with only DoSomethingSmart button.

Probably the dev who designed that is no longer working in ArenaNet and the code is so complex/bad that no other devs wanted to touch it.

/*
 * MAGIC! DO NOT TOUCH!
 */
void cameraAttackInteractSoSmartYouWontTouchItFunction (...) {
   // insert super complex code here that nobody wants to touch it
}

(edited by ChyrosNX.1834)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaaboose.3897

Kaaboose.3897

My post wasn’t meant to be negative, but to shed more light on an issue that isn’t as simple as it appears. We anticipated an increase in usability problems from other game features which is why we’ve already begun to address the problem. The current implementation will see revisions.

Evan, I can see and understand all the problems that come with making this feature work correctly but the title of the Thread is “An option to disable right click targeting.”
While we do apreciate all the effort you guys are putting into the feature to make it work all we require to make us happy is an option to turn this feature off.
We’re still able to select our targets from left click targeting so I fail to see what underlying problems it could cause, unless it’s a more deep seeded problem with programming.
Maybe I’m just a dumb layman and I missed you going over this in your above posts but is there any reason we cannot have an option to simply turn off right click targeting and simple have the right click function bound to rotating the camera?

in Suggestions

Fishbait.6723

It is pretty simple. Toggle button in options menu to disable right click selecting targets. Done.

^
This.

Happy customers, possibly hundreds or thousands, that may start paying for gems etc again…