Another letter to Anet with all respect

in Suggestions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s human nature to judge others. It’s not necessarily acceptible or desirable to share what you’ve decided publicly. For one thing, first impression are often wrong, and for another, a lot of things, even psychology, can be debated, even among professional psychologists.

The point is, you can make all the judgments you want, but announcing them publicly isn’t necessarily the best thing to do.

Mind you, if you were talking about the game, that’s one thing, since this is a game forum. Personal judgments should be left out of it. This isn’t the time or place. If you’re really concerned, you could send someone a private message, but posting publicly about someone else in a more personal judgmental sense isn’t why this forum is here.

chuckle

I’m not disagreeing with you, not at all.

Once upon a time, it was improper and impolite to say such things in public. If you didn’t have something nice to say, you kept your mouth shut. Then this thing called the internet was born, and the average person was ‘allowed’ to use it…lo and behold, look what we have now. A generation of ‘this is teh internetz dood, we can say whatever the heck we want.’ Of course, once upon a time people weren’t quite so….touchy, either.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

People cry over all sorts of things, including TV shows. Crying about losing something you’re really into isn’t necessarily a sign of something wrong.

To me that’s strange, I only cry over fictional things when I’m drunk and even then I know it’s a silly thing to do. Getting so attached to a video game that you cry because you don’t like the new temp content and you might not be able to have 100% completion in it means you’re too attached to said video game and need to take a break.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People cry over all sorts of things, including TV shows. Crying about losing something you’re really into isn’t necessarily a sign of something wrong.

To me that’s strange, I only cry over fictional things when I’m drunk and even then I know it’s a silly thing to do. Getting so attached to a video game that you cry because you don’t like the new temp content and you might not be able to have 100% completion in it means you’re too attached to said video game and need to take a break.

Not true. First of all there are people who cry more and people who cry less. Some people cry more quite naturally and it doesn’t mean as much. You’re thinking crying for you…but there are plenty of studies that call crying healthy, and encourage people to learn to cry more.

You can cry over nothing, just for the emotional release. How much more so for something you’ve invested time and energy in.

You may have been playing Guild Wars 2 for a year, but for many of us, we’ve been playing for longer, because we see this as connected to Guild Wars 1. It’s quite natural to get attach to the world and characters and such. And if design decisions make it so that you’re not enjoying yourself, it’s quite natural to feel sad that you have to pull away.

I have a lot of friends who play this game. If I left it, I wouldn’t be talking to many of them nearly as often.

Again, judging from a small statement made on the net is just not the right thing to do.

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

It’s human nature to judge others. It’s not necessarily acceptible or desirable to share what you’ve decided publicly. For one thing, first impression are often wrong, and for another, a lot of things, even psychology, can be debated, even among professional psychologists.

The point is, you can make all the judgments you want, but announcing them publicly isn’t necessarily the best thing to do.

Mind you, if you were talking about the game, that’s one thing, since this is a game forum. Personal judgments should be left out of it. This isn’t the time or place. If you’re really concerned, you could send someone a private message, but posting publicly about someone else in a more personal judgmental sense isn’t why this forum is here.

chuckle

Once upon a time, it was improper and impolite to say such things in public. If you didn’t have something nice to say, you kept your mouth shut. Then this thing called the internet was born, and the average person was ‘allowed’ to use it…lo and behold, look what we have now. A generation of ‘this is teh internetz dood, we can say whatever the heck we want.’ Of course, once upon a time people weren’t quite so….touchy, either.

Well, yeah, I’m old. We’ve already established this. lol

in Suggestions

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

Well, yeah, I’m old. We’ve already established this. lol

Yeah, but I’m quite a bit younger than you, yet I still recall ‘the good ol days.’

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Have you never seen Old Yeller???

Edit: while sober, that is.

The table is a fable.

in Suggestions

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Have you never seen Old Yeller???

Edit: while sober, that is.

I prefer Where The Red Fern Grows better…. yet equally tear jerking for the boy and his dog(s)

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

I cried when the Yankees lost the 2000 world series to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Maybe I should have given up baseball. lol

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kajayacht.9381

Kajayacht.9381

I myself have never gotten the chance to do any of the living world updates, I’m still slowly snailing through the main game. That being said, don’t worry.

Remember, it’s a game. If you don’t have the time to play one of the updates, it’s probably for the best. When I heard about super adventure box, I was really excited for it, but I was in the middle of software launch for my job and was working 12+ hours a day doing support. I would’ve loved to have played it, but there was more important things on the line. If I didn’t have anything better to do, I would’ve played it.

Just remember, if you can’t play an update, it’s because you have something that was more important. Think of it that way, and you won’t feel like you “missed out”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Frankly, I’m okay with a smaller more vignette-style story, and I want to see where all this is going – how the atherblade pirates relate to the zephyr sanctum, and all.

My only issue with the non-permanent content is the fact that it makes it feel like a rush to jam in all the achievements before the content goes away. That’s okay in littler doses, like with holiday events.. but it’s been weeks of this kind of rush-rush-rush achievement hunting, and that gets tiring.

Yes, I wish more of this stuff was permanent, or there weren’t permanent rewards tied to short-duration content; I do dread to think what I’m going to miss on my upcoming vacation. I laud the goal of having frequent episodic content, though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ivy Thunder Goddess.5723

Ivy Thunder Goddess.5723

Tyvm all for reading me and sahring your ideas and opinions, yes i was concerned about me being to atached to this game that i began suffering from it but needed the escape to share it, and tought sharing it with the community im part was the best, i dont wanted to be annoying or anything, just sharing my concerns about, how these development is taking the game , i agree maybe i must go out from this game and miss events on purpouse so i dont care anymore from it, if the result is i leave for good well thats it, or if i return playing without caring anymore well so be it, just wanted to share my feelings so maybe developers or the community in general notice there many players out there who dont enyoy the rush and destruction of content, i know there are solutions to make all of us happy in the most including way and i just hope anet gets into it,

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I love the fact that events happen that also go away, and for people to be able to look back and say, “remember when..”. Really, that’s the kind of thing that people will look back on with nostalgia!

I would love to say, “Remember when…” and only have the veterans of the game be able to talk of said event. Those people will eventually be the real legends of GW2, and as such probably are the people that would be most deserving of carrying a Legendary weapon.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

in Suggestions

Ivy Thunder Goddess.5723

I dont know i think you can still do that “remember when” whitout taking others the chance to enyoy what you enyoyed, in many years i could be one of those saying “rember whne that event happened” but even tho i would still like to let new players and old players alike enyoy that stuff i remember with a smile, i preffer sharing my life adventures with other letting them experience them at first hand and not just talking to them about it

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

OP, I understand your feelings, I really do. But you need to let go

There are so many things out in the real world that you’re missing out on—that you don’t even know about. And even if you knew about them all, you couldn’t possibly go and do all of them 100%, forever anyway! It is inevitable that you’re going to miss out on stuff. It is no different with this silly game for pete’s sake. 10 years from now, you’ll look back and realise how insignificant and ridiculous it all is.

Just let go man. It’s just a game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Before this thread is closed, I would like to add something. In your opening post, you admitted it was your fault for being a completionist. This has nothing to do with Anet. Your concerns, while valid for you, are not shared by the entire community. Please keep in mind that there are all types of players who play this game. No one update will satisfy them all. So if you want to quit because you can’t fill your achievement bar, I’m sorry you feel that way. I will respect your need to do so, but I will also counter your arguments that all content should be made in a way to make you happy.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I totally agree op, in the end i gave up trying to do these events, now if i have time i pick and choose what i can and cannot do..

Most of the time i ignore a lot of the living story, and most people i associate with are the same..i mostly just try to get as much rewards these days as the content allows and it isn’t fun in the slightest and is mostly grind..hidden in boring achievements.

Best just to miss out than do things that just aren’t fun at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

Yup Like a Married couple I give up. No point in tryin’ to argue with the wife. Best to give up now so She’ll shutup and I’ll Sleep better later.

I understand ,well a little of what TC was tryin’ to say. I had to go back and reread some of that. Got lost in between here and there, but I did read the whole freakin’ thing. Basically Like I said I gave up. Too much poorin’ in and not enough time to do this and that and still have enough time to do what I like to do, which is Seinfeld ( AKA nothing). But I really do things in game.

However, I encourage you not to be like me. Don’t give up. Try and find that spark that made you love what you uh….like doin’, In game that is. Honestly It sounds like Burnout Syndrome , but hey what Do I know? NOT ALOT!!! I mean I ’m no doctor, but I play one on TV….LOL! wooot!

But really don’t give up. Hey are you listening to me? I give up.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

in Suggestions

Vayne.8563

You can play this game the way you always did. I do what I want to do, when I want to. There are things I don’t do. Because trying to do it all is madness…even for me.

I used to try to keep up with all the achievements due to the leaderboards. I started to dislike the game at that point, but it was my choice. I made the choice to stop, I enjoy the game again.

The game doesn’t decide how you approach it. That’s up to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

There are a lot of people talking about the living story. It’s creating a lot of buzz. It’s not just a good idea, it’s a great idea.

in Suggestions

Ivy Thunder Goddess.5723

There are a lot of people talking about the living story. It’s creating a lot of buzz. It’s not just a good idea, it’s a great idea.

I never said adding contnet every 15 days was bad at all, or even complain about the mini games or events on it i only complain about the temporary they are i mean yes u can add a cinematic or event that is temporary and change the world but dotn mess iwth achievemnts and rewards that th eonly thing they will damge is ur achievemnt forever being empty or incomplete the rest of ur gaming time , specially if they not repeatable another time for new players and old ones alike, temporary si not very good imo i think living event s are nice but they should add some tool or option to repeat them if u want plus let them be enyoyable for new players

in Suggestions

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

@Deamhan

Not really the world isnt static at all, it has changed many time even permanently.
Southsun appearing, the lighthouse in lions arch destroyed. Cragstead, New structures built in southsun, The Atherblade base in Gendarran fields, the new gyzer vents. Plenty of things changed permanently.

There have been many things that changed the world but for a time. like the molten alliance invasion, the billion decorations changes in LA, the refugees setting up camp all over the place, the various bases, the karma invasion of lion’s arch, the portals to mad king thorn’s realm, etc…

The game world is certainly not static. So far its been scripted change, but no one can say there wasnt any change at all. there was and plenty of it.

NPC dialog does change based on whats happening in the world. Well let me clarify that a bit… there are two types of dialog. there is the generic dialog meant to fill background… just to give the impression of busy cities. That doesnt really change as far as I can tell and there is dialog by NPCs involved in the stories around them. That does change. Finish a heart, go back and talk to a scout, most often he’ll talk about / praise you for what you did. Dialog in cragstead has been changing even in updates that had nothing to do with cragstead itself. NPCs right outside divinity’s reach will talk about the water making them sick if the water supply station 1/2 way across the map has been poisoned etc.. Could more be done? absolutely it would be great if even background chatter would evolve to reflect the overall change in the world but that would be a gigantic task to undertake so its understandable in my opinion thakittens a bit contained. That being said a lot of story is actually done through npc chatter. Without talking to NPCs during the secret of southsun you’d not get 1/2 the story so I dont feel its correct to say it doesnt adapt to whats happening. Same with signs of life. Guards do patrol, well some of them on guard duty will guard but you do see guards on patrols like everywhere even ones not involved in any dynamic events.

Yeah you’re right it would be nice if npcs were able to finish off events on their own. That would be a problem though, if the event is balanced so NPCs are a strong enough force or very close so that the random elements in the fight can decide the tide of battle, Players can just AFK the event, or have absolutely no challenge at all. I think its a necessary evil most likely or perhaps its just an incentive to get players involved who knows.

Yes and No. You can force nearly all of the centaur army out of the harathi hinterlands if you successfully complete all the Metas. Thats only possible if a substantial player force backs the lionguard. its stand to reason that when the substantial player force subsides the centuars are able to gain ground again. If players could keep the incursion attempts to retake the map at bay indefinitely then yes you could basically clear the whole map of centaurs forever.

What you’re suggesting here would be great. I mean it. This being a theme park though not a sandbox makes it highly unlikely unfortunately. Think of the repercussions if the separatists did manage to create a rift between humans and the charr. What happens to the personal story ? What happens to the factions? Do all charr move out of the vigil, priory and whispers? Do the humans do that? Do humans and charr get 1/5 less of the world? would a human get attacked on sight when they get into ascalon? What happens to world completion then? How about player characters? if humans are technically at war with the charr, do human players get to open world pvp with the charr?

Its a great concept but because you have story and quests and whole game mechanics that work on the premise that charr and humans are allies you cannot really change the status quo without re-writing the game.

Thats not exactly how the molten alliance played out. The dungeon wasnt a single HQ the players could go destroy and be done with it. There were many different facilities and the molten alliance only disbanded when enough of them where destroyed that it crippled their war effort. of course its still not perfect those facilities where essentially identical which isnt exactly realistic but understandable how many different dungeons can you build in 3 weeks.

There is a backstory to the Queen’s jubilee. The fights, both in the lower and the upper half are games organized for the celebration. Think of it as gladiator arenas. As for the story It should hit next week this is just the setup. As for Gear, in gw2 its not even a means to an end. Its so optional you’re free not to bother with it. The game is what you make of it. If you want it to be about farming, it will be about farming. If you want it to be anything but farming it can be that too. its up to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I dont know i think you can still do that “remember when” whitout taking others the chance to enyoy what you enyoyed, in many years i could be one of those saying “rember whne that event happened” but even tho i would still like to let new players and old players alike enyoy that stuff i remember with a smile, i preffer sharing my life adventures with other letting them experience them at first hand and not just talking to them about it

You can you’re right but it wouldnt have the same effect. Consider if in a year’s time Southsun cove becomes the new lion arch. The karka get all exterminated (it would be a pity but lets go with it) and a lot of infrastructure is built making this the one city resort to be. Beaches, fun games, crafting, housing all the great stuff you can imagine. Give it a year after that and you’ll start getting stuff like

Veteran player 1(VP1): Wow do you remember 3 years ago we were fighting the ancient karka right beneath the giant plaza fountains?

New player(NP): Hmm what ? whats a karka, fighting in southsun cove? this is like the most peaceful place in tryia

Veteran player 2(VP2): ohh it wasnt like that at all in the first days. You see southsun cove wasnt like this to start with, ohh not at all. You see southsun cove started as a wild frontier which as discovered by the consortium.

NP: Consortium?

VP1: ohh they were like the lion trading company competitors but they got too greedy and eventually we had to stop them. They’re gone now.

VP2: yeah and well when they discovered this place it was infested by these nasty critters called karka, they had attacked lion’s arch early in the life of gw2 and we banded up and came here to fight them. The fight ended with an epic battle with the ancient karka. The plaza was nothing more then a giant cave with a lava pit at the bottom, us players pushed the karka in it and the fight ended there.

NP: so thats when southsun changed to what it is today?

VP1: nope, then a few months after that the molten alliance invaded.

VP2: ohh yeah that created a bunch of refugees. The consortium greedy folks they are tricked them into coming here and help build this place.

NP: ohh so thats when the change happened then?

VP1: nope but it started there.

NP: ohh man how many things happened in the past 3 years?

VP1: well we do have an update every day now (okey i got carried away here but a guy can dream :p )

Its kinda hard to have that if events stay permanently.

I mean do you see something like that happening for the claw of jormag?

VP1: do you remember the time when we fought with jormag’s lt?

NP: ohh yeah just did it 5 minutes ago, epic fight…

alas not the same.
Everything has its pros and cons.