Create profession specific armor!

in Suggestions

Posted by: davidlicious.5093

davidlicious.5093

Like in GW1, each profession had specific armor sets that made it easy to tell what profession everyone was just by looking at them.

The only armor categories in GW2 are light, medium, and heavy… lumping mesmer, necromancer & elementalist in light; ranger, engineer, & thief in medium; and guardian & warrior in heavy. The problem with this is that you have to click on a character to see what profession they are and sometimes that is difficult with everyone running around.

Also I think there could be some amazing armor sets specific to each profession.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I think for cosmetics, heck yes! but for stats or profession exclusive features? Nty, it just takes too much time to balance things like that.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I agree they should have some armors that are profession specific . Make them tabs for the cultures ,temples ,orders etc if nothing else just as long as we get them

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No.

It doesn’t accomplish anything but to limit player’s creativity.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kilo November.4268

Kilo November.4268

I was just thinking this after finally finding a combination of light armour that feels ‘Mesmer’ to be, in the essence of how they were in GW1. Most of the light armor feels like stuff an Elementalist would be at home in, all flowing robes and big typical ‘mage’ stuff. But Mesmers were about pants, suits, dresses, and other attire that nobility would wear. They dressed to the nines, and I want it back. I’m all for having armour varieties that span all classes, but I want some that are specific to the classes too.

- Who doesn’t miss monks covered head to toe in ink? I sure do, since that was my main
- Classy mesmers
- Freaky necros

I hope some more class specific attire comes in future patches.

Brofist Maximus
[RISE]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

I agree to some point. There should be more armors suited for specific classes but wearable by all. I mean, there should be some clearly necromancer or elementalist themed armors but if you want to dress your mesmer as scary necromancer be my guest. It can be used as deception against enemy players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

In GW1, every time the art team got an idea for a new set of armor, they had to make 8 to 10 different sets so that each class got something of their own. (Maybe not all of them were released, but it’s common design to be fair like that)

In hindsight, ANet learned from that and cut their work load in half.

Sure, they need to make more medium armor that isn’t just suited for thieves, but otherwise, there’s no need for profession-specific armor.

Profession-TYPE specific armor is good enough.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

I’m fine with profession-themed armor, but please don’t place limits on it. If I want to mix and match mesmer and necro armor on my ele, that should be my choice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I think merely having more skins available is the answer, which will happen over time as more content is released.

I don’t agree with restricting specific gear to a single profession — all it does is limit and exclude players, and if it’s a particularly nice set then you’ll just see all players of a given profession wearing the same thing.

You can tell a player’s profession easily by their abilities, what weapons they’re using, and how they act. Some professions, like Necros and Rangers, have telltale pets following them around most of the time. Heck, just by the armor type alone you can take an educated guess. Sometimes the character’s name can be a hint.
If you’re just hanging out in Lion’s Arch and not participating in an event or battle where you might want to consider synergy, what does it matter anyway? You don’t necessarily need to know, and you can always tell by clicking on them. I would be in favour of a graphical option to show a small profession icon beside the character’s name, though.

I come from WoW, where we had pretty much the exact opposite. Anyone of a specific class was largely aiming for the same gear, and people ended up looking the same for the most part. I don’t want to go back to that.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

+1, career specific armor would be awesome, have it in 3 tiers just like cultural armor, the third set being escpecially epic. Some classes, engineer in paticular dont have many engineerr-esq appearances to look forward to.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

in Suggestions

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

as long as it’s a matter of appearance, i’m all for it.. .but, as others said, don’t limit which profession of the appropriate armour class can use it

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

in Suggestions

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

I think for cosmetics, heck yes! but for stats or profession exclusive features? Nty, it just takes too much time to balance things like that.

I agree. But as far as cosmetics go, YES, YES, and YES again. New armor skins with a cosmetic appearance based around a specific profession would be awesome! I really hope to see this in the future.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Yes, but no stats, only skins.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

No. Keep the system as it is – if you want to design armor that fits the theme of a certain profession while opening it up to every profession of that armor type, FINE, but don’t restrict the armor options for a class in any way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

As an Elementalist, I already have profession themed armor by means of CoF gear’s fire and stone look.

The Arah set matches a Necro more than it does other professions.

Inquest looks very Mesmer to me.

I’m not familiar with the medium / heavy sets, but I’m sure they have very thematic sets available as well. In my opinion it is better this way (sets look better on certain professions, but can be worn by all of that armor class) as it doesn’t take even more development time.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Certain armors that are class-specific would be nice. In addition to what we currently have, that is. In the same way cultural armors are an option, so to could profession armors be. Something a little more unique you could choose to wear, or just stick with the default all-around stuff.

Restricting every set of armor based on class, though (as seems to be what you’re suggesting) I’d have to say no to. The game has already established the armor situation as it is, and turning around and restricting every set of armor at this point would be a bad change. Limiting options already available is a bad move and would likely leave thousands of players screwed out of their armor (Canabalist set becomes Necro-only, sucks for all the Elementalists and Mesmers who were using it already, now they have a useless set of gear). Even if you included a “respec” option so that players could still use their armor if it suddenly got locked by changing it to a different appearence, you’re still suddenly taking away a look that player chose and liked.

in Suggestions

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

+1 from me, as long as it is in addition to the current armors.

An expensive rare skin, bought from your profession trainer would work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

This would be nice but only as a addition to the current armors agree with huntsforge

in Suggestions

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

If profession-specific armor is introduced in the future, I would rather they wait till they create a profession-specific story arc in the personal story and tie the rewards to that.

Does that whole “two birds” thing.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng