Change mesmer portal

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Right, I’m kinda tired of mesmer portal in its current state. It’s a fun skill, and has some nice uses. Speeding up siege golems by portalling them ahead, portalling 20 people into an enemy zerg for a surprise charge, escaping just before a zerg hits you, etc. But I’m tired of it being used to bypass game mechanics.

1) jumping puzzle cheating

Yes, I called it cheating. People use portal to bypass the puzzle and get rewards for something they didn’t do. I don’t understand why this is still allowed. To get rewards for completing a JP, you should always have to complete that JP, by playing through it. Not by pressing “enter portal” at the start.

2) WvW keep cheating

There’s a whole tactic around this. After capturing stonemist, people take 5 minutes first to “mesmer sweep” the keep, and it’s not even always enough. One mesmer inside and it’s gg, keep will be in enemy hands again before you know it’s under attack. I absolutely don’t understand why Arenanet allows this. Bypassing the need to take down wall or gate should be called cheating and made impossible.

A simple fix would be to make mesmer portal require a path. This would remove said issues while keeping all normal / non-cheating uses of the skill.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

This is a suggestion. You are in the wrong subforum.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Portal has already been nerfed twice ..leave it alone.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

Yes, I called it cheating. People use portal to bypass the puzzle and get rewards for something they didn’t do. I don’t understand why this is still allowed. To get rewards for completing a JP, you should always have to complete that JP, by playing through it. Not by pressing “enter portal” at the start.

Wow it really hurts you that much that some guy did the puzzle a bit faster? When I’m bored and have nothing to do I like to portal people in EB puzzle and find it a fun experience. Most of those people are collecting badges for the legendary and don’t care for WvW not even one bit. I see no harm in them getting badges in more convenient way.

2) WvW keep cheating

There’s a whole tactic around this. After capturing stonemist, people take 5 minutes first to “mesmer sweep” the keep, and it’s not even always enough. One mesmer inside and it’s gg, keep will be in enemy hands again before you know it’s under attack. I absolutely don’t understand why Arenanet allows this. Bypassing the need to take down wall or gate should be called cheating and made impossible.

A simple fix would be to make mesmer portal require a path. This would remove said issues while keeping all normal / non-cheating uses of the skill.

Maybe it is just a valid tactic, one that you have to deal with and learn to counter it.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I kinda agree with the op in a different way though, wvw relies to heavily on mesmer. It’s like if you don’t have mesmers running around you won’t accomplish nearly as much which seems too exclusive. Not saying every profession needs some portal like that but for how effective a mesmer is seems far superior to the others because of 2 skills. Veil and the portal.

Thieves can’t even stealth groups that well because their only long lasting aoe stealth requires you to stand still for ~4 seconds. Blinding powder doesn’t work on a large scale either. Thieves in general are such a selfish profession, they need more team support skills. Even if they gata remove some of the useless traps and make a new category (keep ambush in some form though, only good trap) of skills for team play I’d be fine.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Portal in JP’s is great! Disagree 100%. The skill is obviously there to transfer your team from one spot to another, working as intended? Saying that this is cheating is like saying if you are doing a dungeon and get downed and your teammates help you, that you shouldn’t get credit. After all, your teammates did the work, not you.

I do not have a preference about WvWvW

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

No, don’t change the mesmer portal…I like how it is.

Portaling people to the end of a JP in WvW is my way to help my server. And I love it when people tip me.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

Portaling does not happen only in WvW. There are always portals going on at the LA JPs.

I don’t really care that people do it. It’s honestly their business. In WvW, I can certainly understand (server helping its members in WvW makes complete sense). However, in LA, it’s just silly. :P

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Trolls End portals are a social thing. The rewards from the chest are not so overpowered that it creates a problem in any sense. To stop it would be to make the game more impersonal for zero benefit.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: tyrswrath.1753

tyrswrath.1753

If the portal gets nerfed even more, they might as well bin the whole skill.
1. jumping puzzles: Someone will have to have done the puzzle in order to put the portal down in the first place. You, and all your friends can benefit from the mesmers’ effort to go through the jumping puzzle and let you skip all this.
2. protecting keeps: Just do a good and thorough sweep. That’s called teamwork. The invisibility skills on a mesmer last so short that it is quite easy to spot them while doing a sweep. I would worry more about thieves being stealth staying behind to resurrect dead mesmers who didn’t respawn yet.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Mimir.4690

Trolls End portals are a social thing. The rewards from the chest are not so overpowered that it creates a problem in any sense. To stop it would be to make the game more impersonal for zero benefit.

I’m not opposed to it. I’ve used it a couple of times myself. Just saying that is a little bit silly, although I could understand someone saying that it’s cheating. (I don’t agree about it being social. People, at least in my experience, just go and leave.)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Portaling people to JPs is not cheating in any way, Why do you care if those people get rewarded for clicking “F” or going all the way through JP? If you dont like it no one makes you use the portal. I am a mesmer and i do JP event in LA once in a while portaling whole bunch of people to chest, also portal has been nerfed enough times, once it ported unlimited number of people but now 19, yeah 19 because mesmer’s port back so that’s one. Portals dont even have really big range like necros’ Spectra Walk, with it you can go anywhere in any range, within 8 seconds ofc, and be ported back even you might need to re-visit loading screen. Also you can perfectly see that mesmer is in keep as it has crossed swords on logo, and it’s your obligation to find the player. So stop complaining about these stupid detail.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I myself play a mesmer and i agree with the poster.
Portals should NEVER be allowed in JPs. It trivializes the content.

While im hoping Portal don’t get nerfed anymore, i’m hoping JPs have a special
way of removing ALL skills from a player so that it can be played ONLY via the player’s actual jumping skills?

Sort of like how SAB removed all your existing skills and replaced them with something completely different.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

I thought ANET was about team players helping each other out? Why are we so concerned about trivializing content? You don’t like mesmers making a task easier because their friendly? Garbage. Go make your own mesmer and find out where the real fun of playing a game is. Mesmer’s have great support skills, and supporting others is a big part of mesmer play. The mesmer already went through the pain of the JP, why care some guy in Lions Arch is getting a leg up? As the phrase goes, you don’t climb any higher up the mountain of life, by chopping out the ladder under your neighbor.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

mesmer as it stands is broken ridiculous confusion perma retaliation on all illusions and portal, game mechanics Should Not Rely on a single class its why this class is game breaking in wvw players cant defend their keeps or towers because mesmers clump up clones at the gates wich makes defending players take 3-5 hits per attack hit if close he’ll get a n ice 8-12 stacks confusion if far he’ll be hit by the reflection wall spam

as the game stands players are pretty much forced to play mesmers since the mesmer population got so high ,

you dont see people shout: “Engineer sweep” or “Warrior sweep” nor "guys i need help theres a necro with minions "

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Freedan.1769

Freedan.1769

Yet I see everyone complain how mesmers in pve suck, how they can’t do events because other classes out-dps them all the time, and btw confusion sucks in pve because mobs don’t use skills often enough so we have poor damage, phantasms get one-shot, and we can’t fight worth a dang in pve so we are forced to go with support builds much of the time. You hate mesmer’s in pvp, but don’t mention the crap they put up with everywhere else, that’s very one-sided of you. So we get one place where we shine as a class, thanks for trying to ruin us completely.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Portal is fine.

Don’t care about bypassing jumping puzzle.

If you didn’t mesmer sweep, your fault.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Right, I’m kinda tired of mesmer portal in its current state. It’s a fun skill, and has some nice uses. Speeding up siege golems by portalling them ahead, portalling 20 people into an enemy zerg for a surprise charge, escaping just before a zerg hits you, etc. But I’m tired of it being used to bypass game mechanics.

2) WvW keep cheating

neither of those situations is cheating.

there is nothing wrong with portal.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

way of removing ALL skills from a player so that it can be played ONLY via the player’s actual jumping skills?

Sort of like how SAB removed all your existing skills and replaced them with something completely different.

And your solution would mean I can’t do the Pirate jumping puzzle in Lion’s Arch on my main. Namely the dark room. I use my AOE ring to see where I’m jumping as it will give an outline to the next rock I have to jump on. And it took me a while to be able to it with relatively few errors due to my own jumping skills.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

g e o.2589

And your solution would mean I can’t do the Pirate jumping puzzle in Lion’s Arch on my main. Namely the dark room. I use my AOE ring to see where I’m jumping as it will give an outline to the next rock I have to jump on. And it took me a while to be able to it with relatively few errors due to my own jumping skills.

I use Timewarp ground targeting rin all the time too. and shame on you snowmoon. Why should portal be nerfed again? If you want to do whole jp no one makes you use the portal, there are some people who would like to use kind contribution of the mesmer. When you say no one does JP when mesmer ports them you should realize that mesmer does it actually.
stop whinning portal does not need any more nerfs

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aldebaran.9824

Aldebaran.9824

Portals give Mesmers a special feeling of being useful, it would hurt badly the profession to nerf it, I think.
And for some people, portals are a great help when they can’t finish a pj by themselves.

It plays an important social role, in the game, yep.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Why cheating with portals should stay

The last thing you want to do, is remove a social interaction between players that seems to bring lots of players together. Jumping puzzle are about over coming a difficult challenge, by any means necessary. For the game play outcome it doesn’t matter if a player reaches the end chest through skilled platforming, or through assistance by another player. Because the assisting part is a crucial fun activity, and fun is what it is all about.

Lets also not forget that the option to do the jumping puzzle as intended is still there for anyone that likes platforming. But the option to teleport there with the aid of someone else (who still needs to do the platforming to get the portal up there) allows players that are bad at platforming, to still enjoy this part of the game.

And that is another important point, that mesmer still has to do the jumping puzzle to allow others to make it up there. So it is not breaking the rules so much, as bending them a little. Allowing players to bend the rules a bit, is one of the best things a game designer can do in his game. It is a fun and intellectual activity, that stimulates players to figure out clever easy ways to overcome an obstacle other than the intended way.

You should not pile this up along with stuff like glitching through walls. Because those things are worlds apart. One is abusing a glitch or faulty collision, while the other is using game mechanics to bypass an obstacle.

Lets also not forget how hard it was for mesmers to find any use in PVE in GW1. To have them be able to do something unique and very useful is extremely important. I would compare it in the same way that a necromancer can use her teleport skill to quickly bring a key object through an obstacle course, without actually running through it all. So what if you teleported and bended the rules a bit? The important part is that you are being an aid to your team, and you are working together with other players. This social element is a positive thing, and a game designer would be extremely wrong to remove it.

It is what we call, emergent game design. And it may or may not be a part of the game’s intended design. I would assume the mesmer portal is being used exactly as intended.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

I think wvw is too dependant on 1 profession, the mesmer. Their abilities are fine, they can support well and are quite easy to kill but the portal is just too significant of a skill. In any case, it should not work over gaps such as a jp or a wall but if the pathing requires no jumping over obstacles then thats perfectly fine imo.

Being friendly and helpful? You’re just making lazy players who do nothing already but dance in town, even more lazy. Don’t give these people the mindset that that’ll be spoonfed till endgame, make them work. Wana be friendly? Show them how easy those jp are, maybe they’ll learn to enjoy content more if they arn’t literlly skipping it. No, these jp portals arn’t game breaking, the chest rewards arn’t exactly mind blowing but thats not the point. Point is people arn’t playing the game how it was intended.

For wvw, well mesmer sweeps are actually fun, nothing like hunting for the sucker. Still it seems too important of a skill, without a mesmer portal in wvw groups you’re being set up to fall behind. Either more professions should have some sort of a “portal” even if its limited to a small few (5,10) or the current portal needs more restrictions. In its current state, even though nerfed, is very powerful. Plus I don’t think hopping over walls was it’s intended use, why even have walls if we can skip them? Might as well allow a new wvw skill for trebs to launch players in :s

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Mesmers are pretty popular for dungeon speed clears so I’m not sure what you are on about. Maybe they aren’t the highest DPS class, but be glad you aren’t a ranger. They aren’t that high on DPS and the have virtually zero support. Personally I think they should add this function to more classes. Engineer would be a logical class. I think that being able to sneak extra defenders over a wall is a good mechanic for WvW and more classes should have the option to do it. As for jumping puzzles, it adds the option for somone to pay someone to do puzzles for them. I see nothing wrong with that. You can already pay for leveling via crafting.

Yet I see everyone complain how mesmers in pve suck, how they can’t do events because other classes out-dps them all the time, and btw confusion sucks in pve because mobs don’t use skills often enough so we have poor damage, phantasms get one-shot, and we can’t fight worth a dang in pve so we are forced to go with support builds much of the time. You hate mesmer’s in pvp, but don’t mention the crap they put up with everywhere else, that’s very one-sided of you. So we get one place where we shine as a class, thanks for trying to ruin us completely.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Anet could look into amending the existing JPs so that people can still do the JP without using any characters skills. Maybe have a magical torch that can be collected somewhere on the JP or something. (Wait i remember they do have torches. i can’t remember that JP that much now tho)

Anyway I still stand by view that using Mesmer’s Portal to shortcut JPs DEFEATs the purpose of doing JPs in the first place. Why go thru the trouble of designing a JP just so it can be shorcut like this? You might as well just put the chest on the ground right?

Its all nice to say that “Oh mesmers provide an invaluable service, oh it promotes social cohesion”. But in reality, it just encourages lazy players who cannot even bother to do the JP and some outright rude players who literally demand the mesmers to do portal for them. Do these players appreciate the portal being created? No. they just grab the chest and disappear, most without even saying thank you. Players who play as mesmers would probably come across some those people i mentioned at some point or another.

At the end of the day, i just wanna say. No matter what excuses you give, be honest, you just want easy loot access right?

I know its strange that i would want portal to be disallowed in JPs as i am a mesmer myself, and why nerf myself rite? But i honestly think that using portal really trivializes JP. Just my 2 cents.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Moderator)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

The jp in LA are a complete breeze, takes me like ~3 minutes to do the pirate one. Yet I see people shouting in LA," Jp sharkmaw, in 1 minute". It’s nice to see people offering guidance, but this just promotes couch potatoes to do even less. I can probably beat the mesemers running those jp before they can port a single person up, it takes practice. Do the jp people, don’t be a potato

Why even spend $60 for you’r copy (unless you bought it on sale, good for you ^^) if you’re going to ignore content? Same for dungeons, stop looking for exploits/shortcuts. Just do the dungeon… the dev’s spent a lot of time creating this game for us and intentionally screwing them of their efforts is downright rude. Their bug fixing team probably works the most trying to patch up the holes in the wall that player’s keep finding and/or abusing.

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I actually think it need a buff it has a maximum range of 2500 thats enough to teleport you over a wall in wvw but its still really short why not just put unlimited range? the limitation should be the 60sec cooldown. what if you are teleporting someone up a high cliff? thats right you cant! 2500 is really short! Cheating in JP really? its not cheating its just the Mesmer is doing all the job and help them up. Also why is it leap skills can get you anywhere but teleport skills cannot other than portal? rocket boots you can get to places you wouldn’t be able to walk blink? nope. Its only fair if all teleport skills get you where you want. With the exception of JP maybe they could limit it there or something.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

I actually think it need a buff it has a maximum range of 2500 thats enough to teleport you over a wall in wvw but its still really short why not just put unlimited range? the limitation should be the 60sec cooldown. what if you are teleporting someone up a high cliff? thats right you cant! 2500 is really short! Cheating in JP really? its not cheating its just the Mesmer is doing all the job and help them up. Also why is it leap skills can get you anywhere but teleport skills cannot other than portal? rocket boots you can get to places you wouldn’t be able to walk blink? nope. Its only fair if all teleport skills get you where you want. With the exception of JP maybe they could limit it there or something.

That’d be like putting a limitless [Shadow Step] on thieves. Then they can literally appear and disappear. There are limits to range for a reason.

I don’t think its “cheating” to use a jp portal but it certainly takes away from the game. Just do the jp, don’t be so kitten.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

That’d be like putting a limitless [Shadow Step] on thieves. Then they can literally appear and disappear. There are limits to range for a reason.

I don’t think its “cheating” to use a jp portal but it certainly takes away from the game. Just do the jp, don’t be so kitten.

What i mean is teleport to places you wouldn’t normally be able to walk to why can you leap there but not teleport ? Obstructed areas should not be accessible with teleports however but if you can leap there you should be able to teleport.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Anet could look into amending the existing JPs so that people can still do the JP without using any characters skills. Maybe have a magical torch that can be collected somewhere on the JP or something. (Wait i remember they do have torches. i can’t remember that JP that much now tho)

I’m aware of the torches. But the torches aren’t exactly at the start of the puzzle.

Plus, I like a challenge. Not using something will brighten up the room and instead using my AOE ring increases the challenge of the puzzle because let’s be honest, the jumps in that room aren’t particularly difficult. Especially when my not perfect jumping skills cause me to miss or overshoot the next platform. You should try finding the starting point when you fall down near the end of the dark room in the Pirate JP with only an AOE ring to guide you.

So I’m saying no to removing the ability to not use skills in jumping puzzles. Plus, some of them are in areas where there ARE enemies. Meaning you would have to be able to fight them. And if they complain about having to use special items that give you new skills for personal story missions, don’t you think there would be complaints if a new skill set was given to you while doing a jumping puzzle? I imagine the level of complaints would be higher for that option than what you’re saying is a problem.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What many of the people complaining in this topic don’t seem to realize, is that a jumping puzzle might be fun to do. But have you considered:

• Is it fun after the zillionth time you have to complete it?
  • What if you are one of the players who doesn’t use the mouse to move the camera while jumping? We have many players that are keyboard only, and struggle greatly with doing these jumping puzzles.

The challenge is there for anyone who wants to do it. But allow other players to skip the whole deal if they want to. Because that mesmer will still have to do the puzzle, all he does is help other people through it all. Teamwork is far more important than forcing players to do a challenge in one way, and one way only. And the fact that we did the jumping puzzle as intended, is not diminished by players getting the same achievement through bending the rules a bit.

In the end, what matters is fun-factor. Are players enjoying teleporting each other through a jumping puzzle? Clearly so, otherwise they would be doing the puzzle as intended. And maybe some of these players have already completed it the intended way dozens of times. What matters is, they are having fun. And that out ways any of the arguments in this topic by far.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Moderator)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Anyway I still stand by view that using Mesmer’s Portal to shortcut JPs DEFEATs the purpose of doing JPs in the first place. Why go thru the trouble of designing a JP just so it can be shorcut like this? You might as well just put the chest on the ground right?

Its all nice to say that “Oh mesmers provide an invaluable service, oh it promotes social cohesion”. But in reality, it just encourages lazy players who cannot even bother to do the JP and some outright rude players who LITERALLY DEMAND the mesmers to do portal for them. Do these players appreciate the portal being created? No. they just grab the chest and disappear

Exactly, this is how it usually is and not what some seem to suggest.

the assisting part is a crucial fun activity.

allows players that are bad at platforming, to still enjoy this part of the game

Really? Pressing F is a “crucial fun activity”, and people “enjoy this part of the game” if all they do is open a loot chest? Then indeed they may as well have put the chest on the ground and require 3 ppl to open it simultaneously, then you’d also have “crucial fun activity”.

And for some people, portals are a great help when they can’t finish a pj by themselves.

And this is the whole problem. If you are not good enough to finish some (any) piece of content, you shouldn’t get the reward for it. That is actually so obvious that I don’t get how people can disagree with it.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I’m with the OP on this one.

I was portaled up to Troll’s End some time ago and got the chest and the achievement. I didn’t feel like I’d conquered the jumping puzzle, or that I really deserved the achievement. So I went back some time later and did the jumping puzzle ‘properly’. Only now I can rest easy, knowing that I got the achievement for it and deserved it too.

That’s only me. (I also finished all but 2 jumping puzzles so far without the use of stability or speed buffs).

I honestly don’t care how many chests people get or how easy they have it getting them. Some people play more than me and some play less than me.

For achievements, it is a different cup of tea. If you can get them by bypassing the entire thing that you’re getting the achievement for, it does lessen and cheapen the achievement for anybody who’s spend actual effort pursuing it.

So I agree that portals in jumping puzzles are “far too useful” and actually defeat the purpose. I do think that it is fair game to use your skills in jumping puzzles and also to help your team members; but I wish it was limited to specific situations (help someone with one really tough jump; help someone not take falling damage; etc.) rather than bypassing the entire thing.

I am not trying to make this game more difficult for everybody, and in fact there is plenty of chests in Tyria that aren’t jumping puzzle rewards and that you can easily get with or without portals and I don’t give a kitten about that.

(I can’t say anything to the WvW thing as I don’t have enough WvW experience on either side of the fence to have an informed opinion.)

(edited by Moderator)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Turkashi.4502

Turkashi.4502

Then I’d say change guardian mega healing power, change warrior super AOE rez banner, change super invicible never see him thief…
Each class got their ability, some beter in some situation than other…eventualy each ability is usefull

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I know a woman in game who had an honest to god fear of heights. Well a fear of falling anyone. Even easy vistas are very challenging to her. So I portal her places sometimes. What’s the big deal?

If I didn’t, she’d not be able to get zone completions. I’m happy to help out.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Then I’d say change guardian mega healing power, change warrior super AOE rez banner, change super invicible never see him thief…
Each class got their ability, some beter in some situation than other…eventualy each ability is usefull

Do any of these allow for players to skip entire jumping puzzles?

No. Then whats the relevance of your statement?

I know a woman in game who had an honest to god fear of heights. Well a fear of falling anyone. Even easy vistas are very challenging to her. So I portal her places sometimes. What’s the big deal?

If I didn’t, she’d not be able to get zone completions. I’m happy to help out.

There’s no big deal there at all. (Portaling her next to all the jumping puzzle achievement completion points would be a medium deal to me.)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

Portal need to become like all other shadowstep, u can just bring friend with u but u need line of sight.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Turkashi.4502

Do any of these allow for players to skip entire jumping puzzles?

No. Then whats the relevance of your statement?

my statment is, why you want nerfing someone elite while other also got their super elites?

They’ve nerfed portal already. And teleporting people up, and I suppose you mean the eternal battleground jp, is imo mearly a tactical dicision: a mesmer must already walk the whole way to get there.
After succeed he can stay there and doing the “stay there doing some /dance, and wait for people who need the portal game v2.0”

I’m persoanly a ele player (just let you know, i’m not against your dissicion because i’m a mesmer) and I also sometimes curse my enemy with 3 mesmer standing there. And i’m at seafarer, that also means our enemy are top 10 wvw players. But fair is fair.

And if you say, this isn’t fair, then I’d sugest you transfer to other server where memser are 24/24 there so you can also enjoy the portal. Then you’ll see how pleasant it is to have a mesmer standing there.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

And if you say, this isn’t fair, then I’d sugest you transfer to other server where memser are 24/24 there so you can also enjoy the portal. Then you’ll see how pleasant it is to have a mesmer standing there.

I’m not saying that it isn’t super-convenient to have a mesmer or group of mesmers sitting somewhere waiting for you; if you read my post up there I decidedly did NOT talk about WvW but about getting jumping puzzle achievement without achieving a jumping puzzle.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I read through the thread and just laugh. Seriously? You want to kill the mesmer portal because it helps people skip a jump puzzle so they can most likely get a couple green name items and a bunch of vendor crap?

If it was a guaranteed yellow or so, I could see it being an issue, but with the current “rewards” jump puzzle loot is a joke.

I suspect that the real reason you’re against it makes camping less of a problem in EB.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

What many of the people complaining in this topic don’t seem to realize, is that a jumping puzzle might be fun to do. But have you considered:

• Is it fun after the zillionth time you have to complete it?
  • What if you are one of the players who doesn’t use the mouse to move the camera while jumping? We have many players that are keyboard only, and struggle greatly with doing these jumping puzzles.

Then that seems to be a flaw in the chests not the jp. Just like world events, the less frequent but more rewarding they are, then players arn’t feeling like the chests are a chore as much. Jp chests are already daily so maybe they should become weekly but have a much stronger loot table. Or even monthly, idk. I didn’t like the idea of jp chests to begin with, I thought it was 1 time treasure that you felt proud you found, instead its some kitten loot that you do daily because its either getting you badges or because you’re in La with nothing better to do.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Turkashi.4502

I’m not saying that it isn’t super-convenient to have a mesmer or group of mesmers sitting somewhere waiting for you; if you read my post up there I decidedly did NOT talk about WvW but about getting jumping puzzle achievement without achieving a jumping puzzle.

I can’t say I’m agree with you, but I understand your frustration.

Let say this, they’re using an elite skill (with a cooldown of 240sec) for teleporting 5 people to get a chest.
- Which, imo 70% of the jp are kitten easy.
- which, some people are just bad in jp, and need some support
- which, isn’t extrmely rewarding at all

All this things for a elite skill… then I’m happy I got my tornato as elite, which I’m still confusing where I can use it ;-)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

g e o.2589

Portal need to become like all other shadowstep, u can just bring friend with u but u need line of sight.

That is like saying to delete portal at all. Mesmers use portal everywhere, not only in JP. I’m a mesmer myself and always port my friends in fractals and dungeon. Like in cliffside fractal, i’m swift and can easily do the puzzle part while some people cant so my friend usually wait me down so i can port them and we’ll save much time, also no one gets damaged with hammer, portal is for bringing a friend and transporting from a place to another.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Mimir.4690

I agree with Pixelpumpkin about the achievement points. I could care less about the people getting their rewards (as someone else said, they aren’t rares), however they should not be allowed to receive the achievement points for not actually doing the puzzle. That seems like a no brainer to me.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Thank you.

I would say the same about any skill that allows a player to insta-win a keg brawl or insta-kill a boss or insta-anything for an achievement.

My problem is not with the functionality of the portal or most of its applied uses, but with the specific way the mechanics are implemented.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

Portals in WvW aren’t always used for JP-skipping (even inside the JP itself). And WvW is an open PvP zone; there’s no guarantee the Mes isn’t at risk or that he can’t be killed.

(Just as a disclaimer, I was brought here from the Mes boards)

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It’s only cheating if it’s being used in an unintended way. Seems to me it’s working as intended. Plus it’s a JP… who the frick cares.

What about eng’s super gun jump of awesomeness? You think they should remove that too?

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devilsmack.5736

Devilsmack.5736

Is this QQ-ing cuz noone in your server was portalling so you could bypass the hard parts?

I can bet 10g you used these portals at least once in EB JP.

Roll a mesmer and have fun. Tho mesmers are also VERY hard to master.

Alanna Grisel (M) / Devilsmack (N)
Kildemort (W) / Killer Claws (G)
Deadly God (En) – Fort Aspenwood

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

Hard to master? yes.

But,

Promotes lazy players? HECK YES.

Only place I’ve used the portal is in ebg jp. Otherwise I just do it myself, they arn’t that hard and in future jp (take halloween clocktower for example and sab) where skills arn’t allowed, the practice goes a long way. Maybe if they put a block where players cannot use a portal to bypass a jp until they have completed it themselve’s once then w/e. But atleast try to do them… really not that difficult but everyone seems to make it out to be the hardest part of the game.

Portaling over walls in wvw however I think is cheating to an extent, the walls are there for a reason. No one should be able to jump over them, especially if the skill is exclusive to one profession.

Change mesmer portal

in Suggestions

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Also don’t allow stealth in JP’s (especially EBG) because thieves have an advantage. Also, make 25% movement signets not work because it gives an advantage to jumping. Also, remove guardian leap in EBG JP because it allows them to make certain jumps rather easily. Actually, just make everyone that enters the EBG JP a non-textured pixelated cube with no skills or abilities so there is no advantage or disadvantage to anyone. Maybe we should also do this to everyone in wvw….

See what I did there?

Also, do you really want more people spending time in the EBG JP rather than fighting in WvW? People would spend hours in the darkroom failing miserably.

Portals are fine.

PS: I made 6g the other day portaling people up in EBG. Shame on me!

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |