Colorblind friendly options? please?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Noodlegotagun.1862

Noodlegotagun.1862

I’m colorblind, and I’ve enjoyed playing this game off and on since it’s release.

The off and on part may get your attention. One of the biggest reasons I haven’t been playing constantly, is because I feel… well, for lack of a better word, neglected. Let me explain.

I’ve played a LOT of MMO’s over the years. (Runescape, WoW, Rift, TOR, just to name a few.) And all of them added colorblind support at some point after their development. In TOR’s case, they took steps to improve the game’s playabilty for colorblind players within the first few months of release.

So my question is this. Why hasn’t Anet followed suit, after over a year? I can’t be the only person having this problem. The biggest of which is not being able to see enemy AOE circles in combat, because they’re typically thin red circles on brown or green backgrounds, that are nearly impossible for me to discern in time to react properly.

I’ve done maybe.. 2 dungeons in the entire time I’ve been playing GW2, because I know I’ll be nothing but a liability, because I’ll end up missing an AOE because I just can’t see it. A physical limitation that can be mitigated shouldn’t keep people from enjoying a game they want desperately to enjoy.

So solutions to this problem? TOR made it very simple. they used thin red lines to denote enemy AOEs in the beginning. how did they fix it? they turned it into a VERY thick, easy to spot crosshair. that also spun inside the circle. The movement alone makes it exponentially easier to see. This is a possible solution. Also, the ability to tweak the enemy AOE circle’s colors and/or thickness, or add a personalized graphic to the interior of the AOE circle is another option.

I don’t feel like I’m asking too much, personally. I want to continue playing GW2, but I also want to be able to enjoy the experience, instead of just getting frustrated by physical limitations I was born with.

TLDR: Can we please get options for colorblind players to tweak the game and make it enjoyable for them as well?

thoughts? thanks.

in Suggestions

Noodlegotagun.1862

Bumping, hoping more people see this. I suppose I could turn this into a petition, instead of a plea. XD If anyone wants to give their support, suggestions, whatever. feel free.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Bump. I’m not colorblind and some of the stuff in game is STILL hard to see, especially the faint-white outlines and the dull-red ones.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I am not color blind, but support you.
BUMP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I hate to say it, but a bunch of people, myself included, have been asking for this since launch. I have absolutely no idea why they won’t do it.

My own problem is that, while I’m not colorblind, I am legally blind in one eye, and AOE circles are partially transparent and also very thin. I’m normally a decent player, but it’s completely undermined when I can’t see AOE circles at all on snow, red backgrounds (lava fractal and Megadestroyer event ahoy!), or some brown backgrounds. Doubly difficult when a lot of mobs don’t telegraph obviously enough for me to be able to see it.

And often when I can see the AOE circle, I can be standing several feet outside of it and still get hit.. What the hell?

Not only does this game severely need colorblind support (a surprisingly large percentage of men are colorblind), but the AOEs need to be overhauled to where someone with subpar vision can still see them since few people have perfect vision – I am blind in one eye but the other eye should be decent enough to be able to pick them up, but they’re just too vague, and nigh on invisible on some background colors. As well, telegraphing for big moves should be more obvious, and you shouldn’t be able to be hit if you’re outside the AOE circle! That’s the whole point of having an AOE circle!

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

im not in need of this but im very sure alot of people are, so i support this with a comment!

in Suggestions

Noodlegotagun.1862

I hate to say it, but a bunch of people, myself included, have been asking for this since launch. I have absolutely no idea why they won’t do it.

My own problem is that, while I’m not colorblind, I am legally blind in one eye, and AOE circles are partially transparent and also very thin. I’m normally a decent player, but it’s completely undermined when I can’t see AOE circles at all on snow, red backgrounds (lava fractal and Megadestroyer event ahoy!), or some brown backgrounds. Doubly difficult when a lot of mobs don’t telegraph obviously enough for me to be able to see it.

And often when I can see the AOE circle, I can be standing several feet outside of it and still get hit.. What the hell?

Not only does this game severely need colorblind support (a surprisingly large percentage of men are colorblind), but the AOEs need to be overhauled to where someone with subpar vision can still see them since few people have perfect vision – I am blind in one eye but the other eye should be decent enough to be able to pick them up, but they’re just too vague, and nigh on invisible on some background colors. As well, telegraphing for big moves should be more obvious, and you shouldn’t be able to be hit if you’re outside the AOE circle! That’s the whole point of having an AOE circle!

I know this has probably been asked for since release, I had hoped that other people before me would have been heard and listened to a long time ago. I’m finally at the end of my rope, and decided to come here and let myself be heard.

I’ve had people ask me when I tell them I don’t do dungeons because of my colorblindness. “Why don’t you just get your guild or someone to carry you?” The answer? I HATE feeling like I’m being carried through something. If I’m going to be there, I want to do my part, and be an asset to my team. I can’t do that if they’re constantly having to risk their own necks to get me back up because of a physical limitation.

I’ve been going around on my server (Tarnished Coast) trying to drum up support for this, and I honestly don’t feel that Anet is going to listen until we all do the same, and overwhelm them with support for something so simple and easy to implement.

Everyone’s support is very much appreciated, by the way.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LaoShin.2986

LaoShin.2986

I fully support this.. I’m not colorblind, but sometimes overlapping aoe circles can overwhelm enemy circles..

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I am red/green coulorblind which is probably the worst thing that can happen in GW2, it is almost impossible for me to see red circle depending on the ground color. I would really like a colorblind option.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I also have normal seeing. I support u!

The way I treat the red circles is this though. I have turned the off compleatly – then u will have to react to what u see and not to what a red line predicts will come. That makes it more realistic if u ask me. Yes, it also makes it a bit harder, but I still stay alive as well as Before I took them away..

And if u ask me, doing this also “Cleans” the screen from a lot of unnesecary information.

Kima & Co

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

+1 to this!

I’m not color-blind, but I know someone who is and I’ve actually suggested this myself, before. There’s no reason why you should have a harder time playing and enjoying this wonderful game than the rest of us. They have certainly implemented many more complicated and extensive updates than what you’re asking for. They should definitely be able to implement some sort of color blindness support, which is obviously very important for many people to be able to play and enjoy the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

+1 aswell, not color-blind, but I can totally understand how you feel.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: KrakenAZ.9367

KrakenAZ.9367

R/G colorblind, and several of the map icons during events have been very hard to see on some maps (mostly the Kryta and Maguma ones). Liadri’s circles are also very hard for me to see. Turning graphics down helped a wee bit, but still very hard.

In the future please put a white or black border around map icons, and keep contrast in mind when there are special fields like Liadri’s that you 100% need to avoid.

in Suggestions

Noodlegotagun.1862

THREAD BUMPING FOR GOODNESS!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mind Catalyst.6350

Mind Catalyst.6350

-Krakekitten’m not colorblind and Liadri’s circles were hard for me to see also. For that one reason, I had loads of trouble beating her.

in Suggestions

Posted by: lilithschilde.3461

lilithschilde.3461

My friend and guildmate has this issue, being colorblind. He too says he feels like a liability because he never knows if he should dodge out of AOE or not because all the circles look the same to him. I have to tell him to stay put before laying down AOE healing for him.

Please, ANet. Don’t be insensitive to the needs of these people.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I have trouble seeing boss animations and danger circles, especially with the plethora of brightly-colored effects that Elementalists, Guardians, and Engineers can deliver. I can only imagine the difficulty if I were colorblind.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Voltaire.5824

Voltaire.5824

+1, not colorblind, but supportive!

in Suggestions

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

+1 not colorblind, but this would be a good thing to happen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

+1 . Not colorblind. BUT I support you!!!!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

+1, Not colorblind here but i am sure this should be addressed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bruzadabig.3705

bruzadabig.3705

+1 I’m not collorblind but totally support this option.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Bump. I’m not colorblind and some of the stuff in game is STILL hard to see, especially the faint-white outlines and the dull-red ones.

I’m not colourblind either, but find, in particular, ground targeting hard to see when there’s a few inches of water, it’s just impossible to see where you are targeting.

So I think there should be some options that would help colourblind people and maybe some of the rest of us as well.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tiirikka.7291

Tiirikka.7291

+1

I’m not colourblind myself, but I know few. Colourblindness is quite common, it feels weird that this group of players gets neglected. They shouldn’t. Thickening circles etc shouldn’t be that big of a problem. ^^ Give these guys a hand, Anet!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kitedyou.1720

Kitedyou.1720

Going to be recoloring my toon to Green/Red! :P

Sea of Sorrows
Tjegra: 80 Norn Necromancer
Mefitic: OTW to 80 Asura Necromancer

in Suggestions

Noodlegotagun.1862

Bumping again! thanks for the support everyone!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I totally agree with this. I’ve posted a few colorblindness problems myself.

Another one that gets me is the similarity of masterwork to exotics. I hate to think how many exotics I’ve sold to a merchant.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

Everyone should be able to enjoy the game! Either by changing the colors (easiest option) or adding support.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

in Suggestions

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

They have made changes to help colorbind players:

• Enemy AoE circles were visually changed to look different from friendly circles (so that being red instead of white wasn’t the only difference).
  • WvW and sPvP team colors were changed to be higher contrast for colorblind players (which made them an eyesore for those of us who aren’t colorblind).

An option to make AoE fields more obvious is a good idea, but if they would tone down animations and particle effects like they’ve been saying they would, it would probably make it easier (for everyone, but especially colorblind people) to spot the circles among the distractions.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Suggestions

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Glad to see this one necro’d to be honest. Though I find it absolutely ridiculous that the game has been out over a year and there hasn’t been a peep on making it more accessible for something as common as color-blind folks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

<- Not colourblind but know people who are, bump for great justice!

in Suggestions

Posted by: FreekPalmer.2839

FreekPalmer.2839

Agreed, +100
Hope this goes through for you guys.

Zipp Tinker
https://www.youtube.com/zipptinker
For my latest Videos and Builds

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trey.5728

Trey.5728

• Enemy AoE circles were visually changed to look different from friendly circles (so that being red instead of white wasn’t the only difference).
  • WvW and sPvP team colors were changed to be higher contrast for colorblind players (which made them an eyesore for those of us who aren’t colorblind).

An option to make AoE fields more obvious is a good idea, but if they would tone down animations and particle effects like they’ve been saying they would, it would probably make it easier (for everyone, but especially colorblind people) to spot the circles among the distractions.

I also noticed this change and hoped it was for the colorblind option. My spouse is color blind. The GW2 limitations reminded me of Halo. I always had to run point because the door lights were red/green (and only I could tell). Bumping again for the AoE circles

Isle of Janthir – Mending the Ruined [MEND]
Rahkyrr/Necromancer and Perdgon/Guardian
“Oh Skritt, I’m hit!”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Trey.5728

Trey.5728

I also noticed this change and hoped it was for the colorblind option. My spouse is color blind. The GW2 limitations reminded me of Halo. I always had to run point because the door lights were red/green (and only I could tell). Bumping again for the AoE circles

Isle of Janthir – Mending the Ruined [MEND]
Rahkyrr/Necromancer and Perdgon/Guardian
“Oh Skritt, I’m hit!”