Design-a-weapon contest and dungeon skins

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Hello there everyone. This is not the first time I’ve brought this up, I created a thread on guru, I’ve posted this in many threads, especially regarding challenge/reward in this game, but I’d like to make an extra thread about this anyway. I’m pretty sure it’s been brought up before, but if there’s something that usually doesn’t work out well, it’s necro’ing threads…

Now, as we all know, certain dungeons or certain paths in the game are pretty abandoned and people just run them for their DM title. Heck, I don’t even have that title yet, just because I haven’t even bothered doing HotW p2 and 3 and some story dungeons. Now, there’s a multitude of ways to fix this, but one of the easiest ways, and one that has proven in many games to be a very effective way is to introduce dungeon or path, or even boss-specific skins. In GW1 we had the system where certain skins like Bone Dragon Staffs, Voltaic Spears, Emerald Blades, Frog Scepters were highly sought after, but they only dropped in remote areas in the game. Some of them, like the Voltaic Spear were tied to multiple dungeons, others like the Frog Scepter and the Bone Dragon Staff could only drop in 1 dungeon. Their aesthetic and general appeal meant they were wanted. The fact that they were wanted made them somewhat expensive, especially in certain attributes (I think by the end of the game, q9 prot BDS was still selling for 350-400 ecto’s). The fact that they were expensive meant people wanted to go out of their way and do the dungeons that dropped them. Be it either because they wanted the skin for themselves, or because they wanted the cash associated with getting one of the skins. Imagine if those skins were not around. If dungeons in EotN only gave their quest rewards, some locked chests, some hidden treasures and an endchest that dropped greens, blues and maybe a rare you could sell as a unid. Do you think anyone would have bothered with doing them outside of their titles or maybe for grinding reputation points? I hardly doubt it. But because of those skins, dungeons in EotN were highly popular, especially among PUGs, because there were very wide-spread team builds that didn’t require too much coordination and could be pulled off pretty efficiently, even for PUGs. It was safer than doing UW, where a fail would be very likely, and better than doing DoA, because PUGs could only run Glaiveway.

Right now, we have a situation where there is absolutely no incentive for players to go and do harder dungeon paths than CoF unless they need/want certain dungeon token weapons or armor. When I need money, I run CoE with the guild, and I run Arah because I like the dungeon and like melee’ing lupi, because it’s the only thing in this game that comes close to a challenge that isn’t based on bloated health bars and annoying, unimaginative mechanics like that invulnerability on the new Southsun boss.

Imagine if every boss chest in Arah path 4 could drop a non-account bound weapon skin that was specific to the boss? Balthazar’s Greatsword/axe, Melandru’s long/shortbow, Lyssa’s wand/staff/Focus, Dwayna’s shield/mace (Exalted Aegis?), Grenth’s dagger/axe… Imagine those skins would sell for like 50 gold each? Do you think that PUGs would then avoid the path as much as they do now? No, probably not, people would probably go ahead and try running that path, because there might be a good reward at the end. Imagine doing this for every dungeon, adding a weapon skin at certain bosses, at the end of a path, etc. What would happen is that the skins on the easier paths would have a lot of supply, and thus would cost little. The skins on the harder paths would have less supply, and thus would be worth more, but that would also mean that there would be more of an incentive for players to go out of their way to actually go and try to run the path.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

(edited by Bright.9160)

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

(… continued)

Tie in a design-a-weapon contest if you want, they were always pretty great. It was cool for the non-artistic people like me to see what new amazing things were thought up by some of the players (Dryad bow, oh my god, the guy that made that blew my mind) and it was a great way for some of the creative players to share and combine their passions.

Hell, I don’t even care if you use a design-a-weapon contest, reuse some of the old skins from GW1. Let the BDS drop from Lupi only, let the Emerald Blade drop from SE somewhere… But don’t add them as mystic forge recipes that no one cares about. They’re just a grind for materials and items. If someone can afford making such a weapon, why not make it so he can buy it from the TP from a guy that went out of his way to do the dungeon for it? The guy that wanted the skin is happy, the guy that farmed the skin is happy too. Yes, I know the Mystic Forge works as a gold/item sink, but add some variety into acquiring weapon skins.

I’m not the first one to say this, and until you start listening to your playersbase, I won’t be the last one, but your challenge/reward system is screwed up. I know you don’t care much about the dungeon community, you’ve shown that by now. You’ve shown it through the continues nerfs of certain harmless exploits while ignoring more important problems in dungeons/fractals. You’ve shown it by not caring a single bit about class balances (although it hardly affects me). You’ve shown it by never reacting to bug reports regarding dungeons. I know you care more about your sPvP, WvW and casual PvE community, but seeing how you also have a pretty solid dungeon/fractal community, and seeing how the SC community was one of the last ones to die off in GW1, and remained the strongest up until mid/late 2012, you could at least bother acknowledging us every once in a while.

(inb4 Kaboose posts his video on challenge/rewards in GW2)

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

(edited by Bright.9160)

in Suggestions

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

+1 WE NEED THIS FOLKS

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I support this. +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m up for this. +1

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

+1 I’d like to see this implemented and I’d definitely like to see a weapon design competition.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Lady Sara Goldheart.2764

Dota 2 has a way of designing your own skin, its Workshop.
I would really like to see this but I also support a contest or anything related to showing one’s ideas of skins.

+1 from me

This also puts some work off the developers so they can use their workforce more efficiently.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

Yes to all! I would love random skin drops from dungeon bosses, I discussed this with my brother as well and he agrees. I would draw you guys dozens of weapons and submit them lol. Anywho. +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

There should be a contest like this every month. Each month players participate in a contest for the best weapon skin:

Axe
Dagger
Mace
Pistol
Scepter
Sword
Focus
Shield
Torch
Warhorn
Greatsword
Hammer
Longbow
Rifle
Shortbow
Staff
Aquatic Harpoon gun
Spear
Trident

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I don’t know about it being monthly, but I could totally see this being utilized for both armor and weapons.

GW2 has some amazingly artistic fans, and ANet wouldn’t have to offer much incentive for participation in contests like this.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarkChaos.4326

DarkChaos.4326

I logged onto the forums JUST to support this post. +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

How often can I like one post?
+1

in Suggestions

Posted by: zaneber.6908

zaneber.6908

+22, I think that about sums it up!

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I want my Bonedragonstaff. And this time make it look like the concept art because the engine can handle it.
Oh and the obsidian sword would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

A nice way to let the player’s show what they are made of and please the community^^

I support the addition of another create a weapon contest. Maybe they could be part of a “Create a Legendary” contest O.o if anyone makes another GS I’m going to find you and [Backstab] your toon >:( Down with GS love, you overused kitten!

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

I’d personally dislike that if that would be all they added.

I don’t want to see another preposterous grind for a legendary. I’d love to see dungeon skins again though.

Eternal blades could drop in AC (although I’d rather have them bring UW back for that), BDS in Arah, Emerald Blades in CoF (closer to Catacombs of Kathandrax) etc…

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I’d personally dislike that if that would be all they added.

I don’t want to see another preposterous grind for a legendary. I’d love to see dungeon skins again though.

Eternal blades could drop in AC (although I’d rather have them bring UW back for that), BDS in Arah, Emerald Blades in CoF (closer to Catacombs of Kathandrax) etc…

Multiple things wrong with legendary aquisition atm (just look at the dozens of posts in this forum about changing legendaries). Skin selection is however one of those issues. Can’t go wrong with a legendary skin unless thats all that was added. I would also dislike if more exotic skins were all that was added because the way things have gone for months now, they would be rng related and very VERY annyoing to obtain and I know enough people are fed up with rng related skins.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

Would love this!

Self Is The Emblem All

in Suggestions

Posted by: rivurivurivurivu.3041

rivurivurivurivu.3041

Just do this Anet, and sell them on the gem store.

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

Did you read what I posted or not? I want this back as an incentive for players to do dungeons. Because as it is right now, the only dungeons that are popular are CoF and CoE because they give the best money.

Arah is popular ish because it’s the only somewhat challenging one, and it brings a tiny bit of prestige.

So, no, don’t add them to the gem store. There’s already enough gem store crap out there as it is. Not to mention, it would completely ruin their prices if they also added them in game. It would give a ceiling price (the amount of gold for the amount of gems needed) for the weapons, which is pretty bad for a game economy.

in Suggestions

aspirine.6852

Did you read what I posted or not? I want this back as an incentive for players to do dungeons. Because as it is right now, the only dungeons that are popular are CoF and CoE because they give the best money.

Bingo, that was the main reason for people to do the eye of the north dungeons. Almost every dungeon had a unique weapon, but you already know this =)

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

Bingo, that was the main reason for people to do the eye of the north dungeons. Almost every dungeon had a unique weapon, but you already know this =)

Lol, do I know this… I used to load up 2 accounts and run with a buddy of mine that ran Bogroots all day. He used to run it with a buddy of his, and both took 4 accounts. He just micro’d all of them with special tactics. Did full Bogroots in like 10-15mins. He made over 1500ecto’s/week if he did it for like 2-3h/day. I ran 2 accounts and they ran 3 each sometimes as well. He was a lucky kittener though. I’ve seen him get dual froggy drops (on 1 account!) 2 times. And I’ve seen him get as much as 3 froggies in 1 run with his 4 account thing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: curlydim.8461

curlydim.8461

+1, I like the idea of both dungeon implementation of super rare skins and weapon contests for legendaries and such … Played GW1 for 6 years, so I would love to see some old GW1 skins …

in Suggestions

aspirine.6852

Lol, do I know this… I used to load up 2 accounts and run with a buddy of mine that ran Bogroots all day. He used to run it with a buddy of his, and both took 4 accounts. He just micro’d all of them with special tactics. Did full Bogroots in like 10-15mins. He made over 1500ecto’s/week if he did it for like 2-3h/day. I ran 2 accounts and they ran 3 each sometimes as well. He was a lucky kittener though. I’ve seen him get dual froggy drops (on 1 account!) 2 times. And I’ve seen him get as much as 3 froggies in 1 run with his 4 account thing.

That guy almost sounds like the person on the guild guru 1 forums that gave so many tips and guides about bogroots and SoO.

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

That guy almost sounds like the person on the guild guru 1 forums that gave so many tips and guides about bogroots and SoO.

Lol, it was that guy. I taught him how to 4 account chestrun Rhea’s Crater though. I farmed it for Outcast weapons (only with 3 accounts though). I also taught him how to duo account Pongmei, but he one upped me and 4 acc’ed that as well xD

He was a really good buddy of mine. I miss him, since he doesn’t play GW2. He quit playing like 6 months before GW2 release. He still logged on every now and then to do a DoA with the guild or some SoO/Bog/Raven runs though.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akari Kage.1403

Akari Kage.1403

+1 the idea of a weapon contest would be great. It’s always a good idea to make the gw2 community to show their creative side and interact a little more with the game.
I am not sure if the best idea would make super rare skins or do a bit of everything, why not implement both rare skins and some common ones, we have already one legendary of each type (and three great swords) and although i would like to see more of them like everyone else i don’t mind seeing more common, rare or exotic weapons. Hope the Anet continues to do the great job with the game (sure it has some flaws like everything, nothing is perfect but its a great game which i expect to keep playing for a lot of time) and again i will wait for the next contests, guild wars had some of them and was always a pleasure to either participate and look at the winners work.

You can all fight dragons, defend against them, protect the weak… I HUNT them (Dragonhunter)!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

PLEASE!!! this would defiantly bring me back to doing dungeons again.

i spent days and weeks going after specific weapons in guild wars 1 because they looked awesome.

the emerald blade, the voltaic spear, the dragonbone staff. they kept me interested in dungeons! hell add several to each dungeon it will get me running them again

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Suggestions

Greyalis.2309

Here’s my new Legendary Great Sword Design. The sword is called “Crone’s Child” as it was said to be conjured by a mysterious sorceress who lived in the swamps around Twighlight Arbor. The carrier of this sword is followed by snakes and it has a 30% chance to root people by constriction of snakes from the ground for 2 seconds on critical strike =).

Attachments:

Self Is The Emblem All

in Suggestions

Posted by: curlydim.8461

curlydim.8461

RE Greyalis:

Not bad (dude, dudette ?), I like it a lot.

However, I think that there are enough greatswords at the moment and need more other weapons. I mean if a new batch of legendaries hit us, then sure I would be interested in this snake GS, but personally, from the “gentle” and elegant nature of “Crone’s Child”, I would much rather see it as a single handed sword, fit for a mesmer or a thief.

But hey, that’s just my opinion …

in Suggestions

aspirine.6852

Lol, it was that guy. I taught him how to 4 account chestrun Rhea’s Crater though. I farmed it for Outcast weapons (only with 3 accounts though). I also taught him how to duo account Pongmei, but he one upped me and 4 acc’ed that as well xD

He was a really good buddy of mine. I miss him, since he doesn’t play GW2. He quit playing like 6 months before GW2 release. He still logged on every now and then to do a DoA with the guild or some SoO/Bog/Raven runs though.

Well thanks then I guess. He gave me/us some really good tips.

Also bump for great ideas, dungeon tokens are meh, a rare drop like Storm daggers, froggy, VS, bds etc. Also a nice hint towards guild wars 1.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pfong.1289

Pfong.1289

+1 for this idea.

in Suggestions

Greyalis.2309

RE Greyalis:

Not bad (dude, dudette ?), I like it a lot.

However, I think that there are enough greatswords at the moment and need more other weapons. I mean if a new batch of legendaries hit us, then sure I would be interested in this snake GS, but personally, from the “gentle” and elegant nature of “Crone’s Child”, I would much rather see it as a single handed sword, fit for a mesmer or a thief.

But hey, that’s just my opinion …

The sword was modeled after a two handed Danish sword meant for thrusting mainly but yeah I understand your concern, it has a more gentle caster feel to it. I need to make the rest of the weapons set to go along with it =)

Self Is The Emblem All

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solefald.8751

Solefald.8751

Yes we do need this!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Havent Anet started to actually do this now? I got a recipie for an exotic ring from AC the other night and I understand that all dungeons now have their own unique accessories and the related recipes as rare drops too.

Shame they all have no visual appearance and are superseded by ascended gear but still, its a step in the right direction.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

They could replace SE and CoE weapons because they are just clones in red of glyphic and mystic weapons. That always annoyed me.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

in Suggestions

Posted by: tenderrage.9248

tenderrage.9248

word! +1
just do it… now.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dragonhero.1852

Dragonhero.1852

+ 1 this is an awesome idea! Props for coming up with it.

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

+ 1 this is an awesome idea! Props for coming up with it.

I never came up with it. That was the system in GW1 and it worked really well.

I don’t get why Anet didn’t learn from the good things they did in GW1. Sometimes I have the feeling the devs read a book about the lore, decided to write some sequel to it, but hired terrible writers and took nothing from the good things in the game, and kept some of the bad things…

in Suggestions

Greyalis.2309

Heres a new Legendary GS concept I modeled. The sword is similar to already existing Twighlight or Sunrise but the blade would display rolling thunder clouds with lighting effect. I thought Rain would be a cool name as Rain=Reign. Perhaps players have water puddle running animation upon wield.

Attachments:

Self Is The Emblem All

in Suggestions

Bright.9160

I almost forgot about this thread…

Not that it matters, they don’t read these subforums, and if they do, they won’t listen to my advise, because look what they did. They added Zodiac weapons…

To RNG boxes…

And screwed up the design.

Well, let’s hope they introduce UW and FoW some time soon, make it challenging and add some decent rewards. Because I’ve lost all hope on this one..

in Suggestions

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

+1 having a reason to run some of the dungeon paths would be great

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Bump and a +1

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

+1 from me

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

in Suggestions

aspirine.6852

http://www.guildwars.com/events/contests/designaweapon07/

Best idea for community participation ever…. Just saying Anet.