Duel arenas.. In-game gambling on 1v1 fights

in Suggestions

Posted by: C Hanson.4056

C Hanson.4056

I know anet has talked about adding a dueling system, but I want to see it taken a step further. One thing I think pvp in this game lacks so far is that feeling of risk when you go into battle. Here are some of my thoughts:

-make an area in Lion’s Arch where players can request duels with each other.
-if you accept a challenge, you may choose to wager any amount of gold (or karma) on the duel.
-winner takes all.
-rules (no elite skill, no food etc) may be agreed upon before the duel begins
-when a duel is about to begin, you are teleported inside the arena where other players may watch the duel.

Ill add more suggestions if you guys have any. I think this would be an exciting twist to dueling and give skilled pvp players a way to make money other than farming dungeons.

EDIT: Other peoples’ ideas so far include

-Placing the arena in the Black Citadel to give players more of a reason to go there. A duel arena in this map seems fitting to me.
-2 on 2 duels.. Work with a partner to find effective combinations of skills between two classes.

twitch.tv/FearTheFenix
Necro roaming & sPvP

(edited by C Hanson.4056)

in Suggestions

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

The game is balanced around 5v5 not 1v1.

I like the idea tho

Give everybody the same healt,no traits,.. and the same set of skills (or let them choose from a variety of weapons, like sword, spear,…)

and let other players watch and bet aswell, this could be something players would actually do if they are bored, looking at you keg-brawl.

maybe make it in Black Citadel, give players some reason to go there

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

No Arenas please.

Duels should be all in open world and be away from WvWvW/SPVP.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

C Hanson.4056

No Arenas please.

Perhaps you could enhance/clarify your argument with some reasoning behind it?

Anyways,
Open world dueling would present a couple of problems, mostly involving npc interference (with aoe attacks and targeting).. An arena in cities like lions arch and starter cities offers a place to test your 1 on 1 skills without any interferences. The duel arena would also be a fun place to go if even just to watch others duel and learn some pvp tricks.

twitch.tv/FearTheFenix
Necro roaming & sPvP

(edited by C Hanson.4056)

in Suggestions

C Hanson.4056

The game is balanced around 5v5 not 1v1.

I like the idea tho

Give everybody the same healt,no traits,.. and the same set of skills (or let them choose from a variety of weapons, like sword, spear,…)

and let other players watch and bet aswell, this could be something players would actually do if they are bored, looking at you keg-brawl.

maybe make it in Black Citadel, give players some reason to go there

I like the idea of betting on other players. And also the black citadel seems like a fitting place for an arena.

I do agree that the 5 on 5 pvp game is pretty prominent in gw2 with support players having big roles, but I think it’s not too much to ask for dueling to give the lone-wolf players something that they can enjoy as well.

twitch.tv/FearTheFenix
Necro roaming & sPvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: synch.2980

synch.2980

I don’t know that I would personally use arenas, or watch the fights, but the Guild Wars 2 novels have arena-style matchups happening in Lion’s Arch – it’s where the Edge of Destiny guild came to be…

So since it exists in the game lore, it seems like something that ought to exist in the game itself…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Night Sentry.3902

Night Sentry.3902

yes to duel, dont know y this is the only mmo without duel!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

I don’t know that I would personally use arenas, or watch the fights, but the Guild Wars 2 novels have arena-style matchups happening in Lion’s Arch – it’s where the Edge of Destiny guild came to be…

So since it exists in the game lore, it seems like something that ought to exist in the game itself…

it actually exists in game!

the area with all the WvW portals used to be the arena, but they changed it a few years before GW2

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

And what happens when someone makes 3242534253 QQ threads about dcing because of server lag?

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kitedyou.1720

Kitedyou.1720

+1 for dueling with betting!! That would be so cool!

Sea of Sorrows
Tjegra: 80 Norn Necromancer
Mefitic: OTW to 80 Asura Necromancer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eladoni.4317

Eladoni.4317

+1 Omg my same thought! look at my suggest – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Arena-2v2-for-Guild-wars-2/first#post1717083
i want arena battleground that u can make teams and new points on every battle.. (will be not same as WoW) – but still – not MASSIVE battle system like wvw – and battles that will have points and to buy a new pvp gear – wvw is fun but you can either shot down by a big zerg and not getting even a kill , or you can get bounch of kills alone or with your zerg.. and sometimes (most of the times) wvw isnt fair because the number of the players – sure u can be good and get alot kills but your world will lose if there is not enough players.
and lets go back to arena – it should be depended on armor and wepons, the duel thing u brought u kitten illy cause its a copy from wow. (arena is too but… it will be different). hope it will be like that it will be the awesomest thing the game knew and will bring so much players to the game

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

No Arenas please.

Anyways,
Open world dueling would present a couple of problems, mostly involving npc interference (with aoe attacks and targeting).. An arena in cities like lions arch and starter cities offers a place to test your 1 on 1 skills without any interferences. The duel arena would also be a fun place to go if even just to watch others duel and learn some pvp tricks.

That would be player’s fault.

If you don’t want interference. Don’t pick a place with enemies standing around.

Dueling in Arena-only will severely deprive my enjoyment. If there is a guild member that needs to afk for a while, I can duel with party members till he is back.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

C Hanson.4056

No Arenas please.

Anyways,

That would be player’s fault.

If you don’t want interference. Don’t pick a place with enemies standing around.

Dueling in Arena-only will severely deprive my enjoyment. If there is a guild member that needs to afk for a while, I can duel with party members till he is back.

enemies don’t always just stand around. Events cause new enemies to spawn as well as travel the maps, so it isn’t going to always be easy to pick a place to duel. Also, to be effective in gw2 combat you have to be able to move well, which means possibly dodging into an npc spawn.

I see your point though, so why can’t we have both arena and open world? why would we have to choose between the two?

twitch.tv/FearTheFenix
Necro roaming & sPvP

in Suggestions

Posted by: Night Sentry.3902

Night Sentry.3902

dueling works in many games where u can duel anywhere. Do not need to reinvent the wheel. Nay sayers are only those who don’t want their feelings hurts and will always try to come up with an excuse.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

No Arenas please.

Attachments:

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Suggestions

C Hanson.4056

dueling works in many games where u can duel anywhere. Do not need to reinvent the wheel. Nay sayers are only those who don’t want their feelings hurts and will always try to come up with an excuse.

GW2 isn’t “many games”

..btw who said anything about feelings? I made a suggestion and people are debating it, which I welcome. Sounds to me like you might have these forums mixed up with the Jerry Springer show.

twitch.tv/FearTheFenix
Necro roaming & sPvP