Enforced display name change

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

if your name got forced changed because you broke the CoC/ToS you are entitled to nothing IMO. Don’t want to be assigned a random name? Follow the rules.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

if your name got forced changed because you broke the CoC/ToS you are entitled to nothing IMO. Don’t want to be assigned a random name? Follow the rules.

+1

I delight in reporting people for improper names.

S/F Asuran Elementalist

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kynmarcher.2184

Kynmarcher.2184

+1

I delight in reporting people for improper names.

My thoughts exactly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Looks like the OP got utterly decimated lol..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Now, I do not wish to be rude so I hope this does not come off as offensive, but I’d just like to point out few things

This post is friendly feedback for A-net to consider. And I fully honor your feedback with people not being entitled to it. The rules A-net had where followed the name was allowed if it was not it wouldn’t have been granted for account creation.

To me, it would seem impossible to create an algorithm to check against every misspelling of a name user is trying to input against a vast database of celebrities, trademarket names, inappropriate references, ect. ect. in a reasonable amount of time (1-3 seconds while the user is creating the character)

The reason the name was changed was because one person found it offensive. Not because the rules where broken by myself. Now you can say that if someone found it offensive then it is a rule broken, but A-net have no clause to say it was a rule broken on my side but merely an issue to stop anyone else getting offended.

Well, actually…
This is what forum code of conduct has to say about the subject.

Do not circumvent the word filter. The Support Forum, like the game, is filtered for appropriate language. Any attempt to circumvent this filter will not be tolerated including the use of “creative spelling” or of forum names or signatures that contain a word that is censored by the prohibited words filter.

Offending someone via language is an offense from A-net, but A-net has no legal ground in their ToS, when a name is made with good intentions to be deemed as an offense in itself.

It was related to the forum, so Forum Code of Conduct applies. In which there is legal ground as per stated above.

You may add about ‘creative spelling’ has been broken, but in fact this is not true. A-net has a ‘provision’ in place when matters like this arise. This provision is in place when people break the rules for intentional purposes not for people who have good intentions. Now I accept the name has offended someone, so I justify the display name change but the feedback I am offering is constructive for A-net to re-think when a matter like this arises.

The name itself has caused offense to someone but the offense was not intentional. Therefore, no rule has been broken.

While you didn’t intend to offend anyone, it is usually hard to determine what the intentions of the person breaking the rules were. It is nice to assume everyone had good intentions, but nevertheless, everyone should be treated the same.

If the above clause wasn’t enough, here is a bonus one.

You further agree not take any action, upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any content that:
is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or is racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

(edited by Fred Fargone.3127)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Maybe if you complain that your own name is offensive they will change it to something else?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Maybe if you complain that your own name is offensive they will change it to something else?

Good idea. Don’t like your name, report it xD

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Suggestions

Posted by: CapN Biku.6024

CapN Biku.6024

I just think this is super silly, not that you’re complaining about your name being changed, but that it was reported in the first place.
I would kinda understand if it was a character name, but the account name? You hardly ever see that.
People should just grow up and stop getting offended by everything

in Suggestions

Catisa.6507

I would kinda understand if it was a character name, but the account name? You hardly ever see that.

Hardly ever see it? lol just every time you post to a forum or have a forum post quoted.

AR

in Suggestions

CapN Biku.6024

Hardly ever see it? lol just every time you post to a forum or have a forum post quoted.

I was referring to in game

in Suggestions

Catisa.6507

this wasn’t an in game issue tho.

AR

in Suggestions

CapN Biku.6024

this wasn’t an in game issue tho.