Few ways to revive Southsun Cove

in Suggestions

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

It’s a bit sad that we have such a beautiful level 80 zone with no players in it. Or very little – I think the only reason people went there was that rich orichalcum vein you removed. So I’ll throw in few suggestions how to revive the dead zone:

- Add a world boss event. Ancient Karka event was a good idea, but poorly executed in my honest opinion, but there is plenty room for improvement. Adding a mega world boss with chest spawn at the end in form of some karka or giant shark would be a great idea, and more people would flock there to do it.

- Add more dynamic events. Big events – not puny collect-this-and-that nobody usually bothers doing but some big events that will change the environment, or lead up to the spawn of a mega boss, with lots of waves of mobs. People love tons of waves, it’s good loot and fun.

- Add a dungeon. The premise and the location is pretty much set, all you gotta do now is design some sort of cave dungeon with karka that can also extend to underwater caves. Add with that contested areas, something in the style of Orr temple events.

I believe if you add these 3 simple things to Southsun Cove you’ll see players flocking there regularly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I don’t think #2 will actively bring anybody back to Southsun Cove on its own, but I love the other two ideas.

+1 and +1

I agree that Southsun Cove needs a cool meta-event, and all the ingredients are already there. And while I’m not too positive that ANet will put any new regular dungeons in the map anytime soon (living story aside), I would really like a dungeon there. Point is, I love the island’s “underwater” aesthetics and would really enjoy more of that.

The map already has to jumping puzzles (1 super easy and 1 super hard), and karka shells are a valuable crafting ingredient, so both of these bases are covered. I was sort of hoping that it was going to be involved in some aspects of living story some time, too. After all, the NPCs are now vacationing right next to some really mean karkas who totally own the map.

in Suggestions

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

+1 A big boss with a chest spawn is a great idea for southsun. Put one exclusive weapon in the chest too and a ton of people will be around!

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The consortium are setting up a camp for the refugees there, so likely we will see some more action around those parts once F&F ends.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Yeah, I don’t think ANet just left Southsun for dead. They’re probably going to have it evolving throughout the game and new events will come over time. Not that I don’t want to see it active sooner, but I trust that ANet has some grand master plan.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They should also expand the size of the zone and make it feel a little more seamless with the rest of the world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: paladini.7823

paladini.7823

I do believe if Anet make more D.Events as we got at Cursed Shore, would be very pleasant to go back there.

And since SouthSun dont have those annoying contested crap statues, i would trade my Cursed Shore for there without a problem

I think Anet using too poorly this map, not taking advantage of those karkas lol, only for event was such sad implement.

Make it alive like curshed shore, fill it with events (but dont bring that kitten statues to there too, no 1 deserves that kitten stuff around).

Plus put that consortium npc somewhere at southsun, I still got stuff to trade LOL.

Paladini – Sanctum Of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Such a nice looking zone. Events and fixing the op veteran karka would be my only requests (3 health bars, transfer conditions on basic attack, super evade? really?)

A dungeon would be quite interesting, but who would be the enemy in this dungeon? All dungeons atm have some sort of talking enemy that rallies up troops and is causing problems in open pve. The karka don’t really have a leader atm, we killed the sucker.

Maybe pirates try looting the island for some lost treasure? Pirate leader can come across some unknown organism that if revived will take over the island and you gata keep them from finding it? I’ve always envisioned pirates trying to take the island from the lionguard and consortium, since the island is fairly new and could hold many secrets/treasures.

Maybe a mix of karka and pirates, and the ending you gata find the pirate ship and board it to escape the colapsing cave (time limit).

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I like meta and dungeon ideas. I have a nice idea what dungeon should be. We all know that LA was once a pirate city that became a part of civilized world. I think Southsun is not recently discovered island. Lion’s Arch pirates hid a treasure there, and maybe that treasure had some magical items that will secure Lion’s Arch from future destruction. Story mode of the dungeon will be to find this treasure which is guarded by pirate ghosts that vowed to secure this treasure no matter what. And explorable would be to disrupt ghost pirate plans of taking back this treasure from Lion’s Arch. Would be awesome if it had some exclusive weaponry and armor like all other dungeons do, this would add some life to our beautiful Southsun Cove, but some dungeons are never done, like SA, it’s very rare. So i think they should add exclusive stat armor set with stats like of Karka shell jewelry, i dont mean there shouldnt be 3stat equipment, just saying that this would make more people interested.

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

I like meta and dungeon ideas. I have a nice idea what dungeon should be. We all know that LA was once a pirate city that became a part of civilized world. I think Southsun is not recently discovered island. Lion’s Arch pirates hid a treasure there, and maybe that treasure had some magical items that will secure Lion’s Arch from future destruction. Story mode of the dungeon will be to find this treasure which is guarded by pirate ghosts that vowed to secure this treasure no matter what. And explorable would be to disrupt ghost pirate plans of taking back this treasure from Lion’s Arch. Would be awesome if it had some exclusive weaponry and armor like all other dungeons do, this would add some life to our beautiful Southsun Cove, but some dungeons are never done, like SA, it’s very rare. So i think they should add exclusive stat armor set with stats like of Karka shell jewelry, i dont mean there shouldnt be 3stat equipment, just saying that this would make more people interested.

SEE! I’m not crazy! ‘) someone else see’s pirate related activities in southsun O.o

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

*There needs to be some Asura portals going into Southsun Cove. Maybe add them to places like Orr, and Sparkfly Fen.

*more types of enemies
*Add a underwater cave system to the Island.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

lol Southsun Cove is not worthwhile and will likely never be.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

My humble opinion is that they should “expand” the zone and add more landmass such as islands and peninsulas. This zone is tiny, if not the smallest zone in the game. Add some more landmass, more events, even a world boss wouldn’t be a bad thing.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

To me, Southsun Cove feels rather large, but I think that’s because there isn’t that much going on there right now, at least inland.

Yes, I can see pirate-related activities there.

And yes, IF Southsun Cove was to serve as an Asura gate hub to Orr and other remote places, that might also bring some life into the map. Great idea!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Henge.3907

Henge.3907

A dungeon that upon completing has a small chance at spawning a world boss. Say you beat the big baddy and discover a queen Karka egg or something. I’m just throwing out ideas, I missed the entire Karka event so I’m not too familiar with their inner workings and lore.

in Suggestions

paladini.7823

Since its a high lv area, I still would be happy if Anet placed lots of D.Events as Cursed Shore.

I think ghost pirates kinda out of the way, such thing would looks like Charr area.

But pirate’s treasure related I think its fine, while the enemy around must be Karkas (as long Anet dont do underwater dungeon its fine, underwater fight its annoying as hell).

I think some good dungeon themes for that:
- Karkas that sank Pirate’s ship
Once the Consortium started to explore the island, they found on past the island has been visited by pirates too, which hidden their treasures at the cost of their lives because Karkas slaughtered everyone…

-Skritt’s expedition for shinnies
Knowing Skritt’s love junk, treasures, anything that shinnies…
They come to the island searching for goodies

- Asura Research
That asura researcher (i forgot the name at story mode) which researches the violent behavior of monsters, come to the island trying to collect and study Karkas.

Anet have lots of possibilities because theres alot of lore to explore

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Great ideas! I would love to see this stuff in game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrazel.7085

Chrazel.7085

Megaboss chest that has the highest chance of obtaining precursors.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

yeah, almost nobody goes to southsun cove, if they made karka shells a legendary material, people would be there 24/7

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

in Suggestions

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Karka and reef drakes are just too annoying to bother with, and unless you’re wearing a full MF set, they’re not worth your time either. Even with a full MF set, they’re not worth your time because 80% of the time they don’t drop anything or drop grey trophy clam meat.

Why bother initiating with something that has that poor of a risk/reward ratio?

Karka Island 2013: Nuke it from orbit.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Karka and reef drakes are just too annoying to bother with, and unless you’re wearing a full MF set, they’re not worth your time either. Even with a full MF set, they’re not worth your time because 80% of the time they don’t drop anything or drop grey trophy clam meat.

Why bother initiating with something that has that poor of a risk/reward ratio?

Karka Island 2013: Nuke it from orbit.

So less karkas and more other enemies are fine? There should not be any risen either, too many of them elsewhere.

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

Maybe, they can treat it like orr. Throughout the island there are various hives that are being built up, and a DE to destroy them starts once in a while (enough to be constant). Through various methods and even coming across the occasional non-karka mob (pirates, skelk, reef drake, sharks, etc) to destroy them (explosives, tipping a tree over onto it, using the asuran lazer to knock a part of the mountain over to crush it). If not dealt with, the population of karka spawns are intensified.

Also I agree, they should drop loot more often. Especially the veteran karka and ESPECIALLY the champion karka. It’s not a rich ori node anymore, so atleast make the gate keeper a worthy chest box.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like fighting Karka, but for an animal that sheds their shell just for fun, they sure drop very few of them. :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

It’s a shame that Southsun is so useless now. It needs to be revived and should have a miniature port at each of the ships’ landing zones with resort attractions by the consortium.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dr Hashbrown.7104

Dr Hashbrown.7104

Anet did try to bring life to Southsun Cove by adding both a guild rush and a guild challenge, but I don’t think that was enough. The idea of a mega boss in Southsun is nice, but I’m afraid if it gets too crowded, and a guild won’t be able to do their guild mission.
I can’t tell you how much I love the idea of adding a dungeon in Southsun, it would be cool if it worked like the 8 main dungeons, and they would add a new dungeon vendor for that specific dungeon. It would probably have no story mode since you can’t link destiny’s edge to Southsun, however, you can still have 3 dungeon paths to complete.

-Drums

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Some good suggestions here.
But I think one of the things that needs to change or disappear altogether is the veteran Karka mechanic.
For a start, no-one likes having to kill the same mob twice, especially when their hitpoint total makes tem a damage sponge to start with.
And then there’s the Karka hatchlings they drop which give conditions that can’t be removed (genius idea that one. NOT).
And finally, the massive, AoE, group-destroying roll that can’t be interrupted.

I don’t mind fighting the normal Karka, but once you start exploring inland, these massive, PITA veteran Karka seemingly become the predominant form of life, at which point I just give up and run through them.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

SEE! I’m not crazy! ‘) someone else see’s pirate related activities in southsun O.o

You wanted pirates?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/may-14-2013/

This wallpaper.. that logo.. that name.. sounds so familier…

http://i.imgur.com/pKYkXoP.jpg

:D

in Suggestions

NinjaEd.3946

You wanted pirates?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/may-14-2013/

This wallpaper.. that logo.. that name.. sounds so familier…

http://i.imgur.com/pKYkXoP.jpg

:D

Huzah! Pirates be making thee first steps off the poopdeck.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I thought I’d revive this thread as I am curious about what people think of Southsun Cove right now.

(I do like it there right now, although some of the ideas in this thread were even better in my opinion.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

With lots of people, it’s bearable. But once the Living Story stuff concludes, I can see it going back to being abandoned unless they drastically change the variety of mobs on the island and the mechanics of the Veteran Karka.

However, I’ll correct a previous mistaken statement I made in this thread; baby Karka can be removed by dodge-rolling, something I didn’t realise before :o

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Y could put as many events as you wanted, it won’t get people back to there. People hate the karka, the vets and champs you have to kill twice over. It is NOT fun. The confusion stacking salamanders are equally far too annoying to be fun to fight against.

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like the karka… and I don’t find them as hard to kill as last time (maybe because my gear’s better). We can comfortably take out karka vets with 2-3 players now (I even saw some crazy dude solo them).

I’m glad that they added dynamic events, and made gathering a little more rewarding. It is very easy (for now) to get passion flowers and karka shells which is great for levelling up your crafting.

I particularly like the little zone with the sand wurms (tremors!). It takes a few tries (because you only have so many dodges) to mine the rich mithril vein in there and/or gather golem parts, but it’s new and fun.

I am also glad that a few more types of enemies were added to the zone, which is better for daily kill variety. In addition to karka, drakes and riders there’s now also wurms, skelk, regular crabs, barracudas, sharks, mosquitos, and rabid NPCs (the latter probably only for now).
Maybe when the living story progresses further we’ll see even more types of mobs (I am personally hoping for a dungeon that takes us deeper into the structure.)

I enjoy seeing tropical birds in addition to the environmental crabs.

Crab toss: as much as I personally don’t enjoy it, I find it weird that they would remove it after. What’s the harm in leaving it in the zone? Put a waypoint next to it. Worst that can happen is that people go back to Southsun to play it. (Although outside of the living story I think the reward chest would have to be nerfed down to something reasonable.)

After the living story? I hope that the events will scale down so you can do them with fewer people. The big zergs will stop but if you can still do things with 2-5 people then I think people will keep coming to the island. (People might even come back to grab a quick karka omelette from the karma vendor.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

I like the island now. Much more settled, fun dynamic events and exploration. And I get to wear a Japanite shell on my back. And a flower

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Suggestions

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I think the issue is risk vs reward. I can make way more g per hour soloing Orr than I ever could in Southsun. The karka a drake take way to long to kill to make it worth while. Since the zone lacks anything else of interest, other that in it a great place to get your daily gatherer done quickly, there is no point in spending any time there. Adding a Mega Boss event could help but it would ultimately do like every zone that has a boss event. I bunch of peeps flock there for the event and disappear from the zone as soon as the chest is collected.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Suggestions

paladini.7823

With current event i think still way behind Cursed Shore for sure.
Even with 200% MF buff, we are getting less stuff at SouthSun, while at Cursed Shore with same time we grind more drops.

Maybe its because of event, who knows… maybe they adjust later.