Field of View.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mirkillion.5870

Mirkillion.5870

Being able to set a wider FOV would be of so much help. Getting mega eye strain and slight nausea playing over an hour.

Really should be a minimum standard for any pc game. Thankyou for starting this thread op, hope it works.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I don’t know why people request even further camera distance, it already feels like you’re playing on of those isometric games at max distance.

As for FoV, well, if there is no harm to everyone else, then it seems fine to get it working.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: paultimate.8790

paultimate.8790

What is this, I don’t even …

You can zoom right out with the mouse wheel, and you can look at the sky.

The camera bounces a bit in a few cramped areas, that’s about the worst you can say about it.

What are people talking about here, it sounds like there are several topics being mixed up.

The mixup is with you..

• We want to zoom out a bit further, and zoom in further (to the point where you cannot see teh char anymore when zoomed in, so its like a FPS
  • FOV needs to be 90, not 60 or at least configurable from 60 to 90.

Simple.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: paultimate.8790

paultimate.8790

I don’t know why people request even further camera distance, it already feels like you’re playing on of those isometric games at max distance.

Oh no! What will we do if people are allowed to play how they want? It wouldent be forced so why would it matter to you? I guess youve never tried to WvWvW a seige weapon at an awkward angle and unable to fire correctly due to not being able to zoom out enough. We arnt talking about zooming out till we can see the whole battlefield. Just 2-3 clicks further so we can actually play the game in all situations.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Oh no! What will we do if people are allowed to play how they want? It wouldent be forced so why would it matter to you? I guess youve never tried to WvWvW a seige weapon at an awkward angle and unable to fire correctly due to not being able to zoom out enough. We arnt talking about zooming out till we can see the whole battlefield. Just 2-3 clicks further so we can actually play the game in all situations.

Thanks for the arrogance, I just needed the clarification though.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patches.4210

Patches.4210

The camera bounces a bit in a few cramped areas, that’s about the worst you can say about it.

What are people talking about here, it sounds like there are several topics being mixed up.

You should really read the thread and watch the youtube videos linked above, zoom and fov are NOT the same thing.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Era.6453

Era.6453

The overarching topic is camera functionality.

Yes, you can zoom out. We want to zoom further out.
Yes, you can zoom in. We want to zoom further in.
Yes, you can see your surroundings. We want to see more of them.
Yes, the camera bounces a bit. We want it to bounce less.

… actually, it doesn’t bounce “a bit”. It bounces a LOT. Try doing some of the extremely cramped cave-puzzles in Lions Arch; for example the one you access by the well that leads you north of town. The stalactites in that cave really takes your camera for a ride.

”Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

I absolutely agree, I have trouble playing the game without getting headaches after some playtime. It’s also really difficult to navigate around areas in PvE for me, since I can’t really see much without zooming the camera out as much as possible.

No FoV option also provides a HUGE advantage to players with multiple monitors in PvP since they automatically get a highly increased field of view making them see twice as much as any other player. I personally think this is unacceptable.

Really hope to see an option in the near future.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaden.3162

Kaden.3162

Haha, yes. The FOV seems low and I was noticing how claustrophobic I was feeling playing today.

agreed, i actually cant play as long as i used to during beta, not sure why they ever changed the camera. return it to how it was in beta. i feel sick playing after awhile, makes me feel crushed in a small world vs being able to experiance the large scenic vistas.

another thing mentioned was in puzzles and caves, its so annoying, sometimes the camera randomly sticks to a wall you get close to and it wont let go and you cant see what your doing.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

So since Anet thought about putting this on consoles they defaulted to 60 FOV and completely screwed the PC demographic and those that are motion intolerant? nice.

I’m am 100% in favor of a PC game having an FOV slider as that should be an absolute feature in ALL A+ games.

Look, Anet, there is a big enough sample size that request a higher FOV that should have been standard that you should implement it already.

You know the camera is wonky as hell. My Norn has a hell of a time doing ANYTHING, let alone seeing what is in front of me. Camera bounce? check – try some trees, indoor areas, tents, jump puzzles, close quarters and back-against-the-wall stuff and you’ll see how the camera just STICKS to it.

The environment should be transparent and the camera should NOT have a physical presence in the game – what am I, just a really bad cameraman?

First Person View, gw1 had it. We used it for awesome screenshots and for when the camera was just always in the wrong position to do anything. I don’t always want to see my character doing things, sometimes I want to do them. Like jumping puzzles, your current camera bounces all over the place and sticks to the walls, if it was a simple place behind my character that didn’t change when I jumped around that would be even better.

This game is a PC game, 90 FOV is standard no matter what your monitor size is.

Zoom. Sure, I’d love for it to be a little further out. But what I really have the problem with is its center point and it’s angle. Because the center point is your skull (on Norn at least) it means that you are never seeing what your character sees, the center point needs to be above the head. The angle makes you always look at the ground and if you try to look up, you just get a cheesy upskirt shot of your character…

GW1 had awesome camera position and control as well as stability, why fix something that wasn’t broke in the first place? I believe it also had a decent FOV. Copy & Paste that code

They did adjust the position slider to allow a much larger distance left/right though, it used to be just a few inches, but now my character can be on the left or right side of my monitor. Also uses a slight inverted U shape to the position that actually puts the camera at a higher position on the outside points…

Anyway, the camera system needs an overhaul bad – I thought we told you that in the betas…

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

Not that I have any right to any information, but this is the first time I’ve seen it talked about so much in a game (at least, the kind of games I like to play, which are mostly MMOs these days), and I was curious as to whether this is about something that is drastically different compared to other games in the same genre, or is this more of a thing like ‘physics’, where you were exposed to it somewhere else, perhaps outside the genre, and are hoping it’s included here?

I like to play rather close to my character. Usually where they like to put the camera behind you is pretty much where I like it. Some games I move it in a bit more. Rarely do I move it out. I like it when my character is mostly there in the screen, I don’t particularly like to play like I’m moving one piece around in an RTS.

I’ve never gotten sick, playing that close, but I suppose some people might.

So that I’m on the same page as everyone talking about this (in many threads and sites), is this something that has ‘always’ been a problem in MMOs and people are being more vocal about it now? Is it a new gaming feature people want included? Is it a situation where they implemented FoV drastically different than other games in the same genre? If so, which other games in the genre seem to have it right (I still have some active subs and lifetimes, I can go look at those for comparison)?

I’m just curious, thanks.

Most MMO’s have a max zoom setting, WoW, SWTOR i think LOTRO had a max zoom setting too. It helps because it gives you more situational awareness. Me personally i like to play with a top down view, as if i’m 50 feet above and behind my character. Some games like The Secret World have a narrow FOV and short zoom, and i think the devs say they did it for immersion reasons.

Another thing i dont like about the narrow FOV is my screen is packed full of clickable items. I could be fighting a boss, but if i have to move and pan around i end up clicking something else and i have to retarget the boss. Holding the RMB does not select whatever is by the cursor, but holding RMB and panning left/right also causes you to change the direction of your strafe. I want to be able to strafe left or right while panning around, but i need to find an empty spot on the screen before i can click and hold LMB. Holding LMB and moving the mouse left and right only pans the camera. With my FOV as crowded as it is, i always end accidentally untargetting the boss.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dux.8720

dux.8720

signed but there’s one problem: more fov means more pc load and gw2 has fps issues already. not to mention world events were fps rates are just families of kittens.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dux.8720

dux.8720

there’s no edit function?!
i forgot to mention that one should be able to zoom out the camera view some more, too.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eternal Duty.4789

Eternal Duty.4789

Text

Well said.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Patches.4210

Patches.4210

there’s no edit function?!
i forgot to mention that one should be able to zoom out the camera view some more, too.

The pen icon on your post is edit.
Sure higher FoV means more work for the graphics card but if it’s a slider you can tweak to what matches your needs, meaning you can priorities if you have to.
Also the FPS isn’t that bad in all cases, some have issues true but not all.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rin Satou.7321

Rin Satou.7321

Totally want a FOV of 85 or 90. Maybe that’s why I’m getting more turned off from playing GW2 because it causes me headaches :<

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chunkychu.3091

chunkychu.3091

The FOV definitely needs to be higher. It doesn’t affect everyone, but there are many people including myself that are experiencing headaches and nausea playing this game.

here is another thread made about this-

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/FOV-in-GW2-headaches-and-claustrophobic-sensations/

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Unfriendly.8927

Unfriendly.8927

Everything has already been said so I will just add my vote

/signed

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pug.7564

Pug.7564

Yes. If my game permanently could look like in the Shadow Behemoth event, I’d be so happy.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nexrex.8273

Nexrex.8273

My 2 cents:

Field of view is something that has been bothering me about Guild Wars 2 since the very first Beta weekend event, along with the position of the camera relative to your character (ie its too close to the ground).
I, like many others are prone to simulation sickness as a result of a narrow field of view, and bad camera position. For me that means with Guild Wars 2, that I can stand playing in fullscreen for about 30 minutes before I have to give in to nausea and throw up. It also comes with severe headaches, disorientation and dizzyness and a feeling of claustrophobia.
Now usually I have this with games converted from console to pc without a remake of the FoV setting across platforms. A console games FoV is fine on Console, but not on a pc screen, where you are generally sitting much closer to the screen.
This is why the good pc games include a FoV slider of some kind, either in options (DeusEx:HR) or through console commands (Skyrim).
Guild Wars 2, has sadly, ever since Beta Weekend 1, made me and many others feel the effects of a narrow Field of view.
The sad thing is, besides the obvious physical limitations, you never really get to experience the full glory of the environments, because when you’re on the move, you screen real-estate will undoubtedly have around 70% ground in it … and the limited FoV will forever make you feel like you’re exploring the environment with eye-flaps on.
Just having a higher FoV (field of view – not zoom out), already solves a great deal of this problem, because not only can you see more of the environment horizontally (the wide-angle feel), but also vertically, allowing you to truly appreciate the scale of some of GW2’s architecture and environments.
Now seeing as how an adaptive field of view is already a part of the game (as seen from numerous tri-screen setups, among others, official ones use at conventions by Arenanet, and that the game will adjust its FoV naturally if in windowed mode, if you make the window smaller in height and keep the lenght as is) why can we not have a FoV slider of some kind in the settings menu?
Can I and all those who suffer in varying degree from this, have some sort of statement regarding Field of View from Arenanet? I have the utmost confidence in Arenanet’s ability to listen to their trusted fans, and so far Arenanet has not dissapointed.
All I/we need is a way to change the FoV manually ingame, so we can all enjoy the beauty of Guild Wars 2 on equal footing, without getting physically ill.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: defektive.3540

defektive.3540

Can’t add any more to what has already been said in support of making the GW2 camera more bearable (which at the moment it almost isn’t).

/signed

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Brynna Stormclaw.9621

With all these threads, I’m beginning to wonder of we are being acknowledged.

Anet – with all due respect I think it is time one of your staff has addressed this issue.
I realise you have a lot going on, but I would think something that affects the physical well-being of your customers would be a pretty high priority.

Eris Ataxiar [HLX] – Sea of Sorrows

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

moar fov options please. i support this suggestion

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AdelaisAer.4109

AdelaisAer.4109

ITT: People who don’t know the difference between Zooming In/Out and FoV (Field of Vision). Two completely different things. Look them up.

Also, I would love for Guild Wars 2 to have a better FoV, especially for those playing on one monitor.

One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambience and nurturing.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

AlienMagi.7102

Arenanet doesn’t give a single phuck about people wanting field of view in order to remove headaches from their gaming experience.

Too bad that multi monitor users have a huge advantage since they get like a 140 field of view making them see like 300% of what a normal 24inch monitor user can see.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Nexrex.8273

From bringing this topic to light on various other websites and also during the beta forums during beta testing, I’m saddened that Arenanet does not acknowledge this issue.
Its been brought up on sites like guru, mmo-champ, beta forums, and official forums.

And the best reply we managed to get during posting on the official feedback forum for the beta testers, was something along the lines of “This is not the place to bring up this issue”

My heart bleeds…..sigh

(edited by Moderator)

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Camera bounces in and out in and out in and out in and out in and out…../throw up

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daimerous.9652

Daimerous.9652

/signed
I suffer from motion sickness myself. This game isn’t as bad as others I have played, but it still gets to me sometimes. People don’t realize motion sickness until they get it. I suffer from vertigo too, bow that is something I don’t want triggered from playing a game. Anet needs to bring a FoV slider.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: defektive.3540

defektive.3540

Object fade would solve a big chunk of the problems with the camera IMO, and FoV control would solve another sizeable lump.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

ITT: People who don’t know the difference between Zooming In/Out and FoV (Field of Vision). Two completely different things. Look them up.

zoom and FOV are NOT the same thing, watch the videos I linked above!

Actually, technically, zoom and FoV (or rather, FoV variation) are the same thing. The issue is that a lot of people use “zoom” to mean “camera distance”. In reality, a zoom lens changes the FoV without moving the camera.

The term “zoom” is misused so often (see above) that it’s kind of pointless to use it.

The camera distance in GW2 is fine (although I’d like a slider to control the max distance, and the option to move it “into” the character and get a 1st person view).

The problem, as most people have pointed out (since the first beta weekend…) is that the FoV is completely wrong for PC monitors, and leads to nausea, eye fatigue, and just a generally far less “epic” look.

Coupled with the camera target height (which is too low – the GW2 camera is aimed at the character’s waist instead of at a point above the character’s head, as it should), the result is that we spend most of the time looking at a small patch of ground instead of looking at the game’s nice scenery.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Figment.9356

Figment.9356

An FOV slider is needed.
Camera easing/acceleration slider is needed.
Camera height and position slider is needed.
Max camera distance setting and first person camera is needed.

I get nauseous like watching the movie Cloverfield, the camera zooms in and out more the faster you turn your camera (try spinning your camera around real fast and watch it act like the moon in Earth’s gravity, like the hair on the char creation screen) and there is wayyy too much GROUND, it takes up 70% of the screen and you can’t see the beautiful landscape because of the ‘zoomed in’ fov. I’m a photographer and know from experience what looking at a changing fov is like for hours, like shooting a wedding, and this game is way more exhausting and headache inducing. Along with all of that, you are constantly battling with the camera easing/acceleration like you are struggling with rubberbands pulling your view back and forth, I need accuracy and precision!

BTW, zoom and fov are the same thing, but camera distance is different. Zoom/fov does change perspective, sometimes distortions, but who cares.

If you search google FOV and any video game name, there are tons and tons of people asking for it to be added, and even a program called Flawless Widescreen that are trying to get working for Guild Wars 2 because it means that much to us to have fov adjustable, especially to work on widescreen monitors, and triple monitors.

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen
http://www.wsgf.org/forum/forums/gaming/detailed-widescreen-reports/16875/detailed-report-guild-wars-2

(edited by Figment.9356)

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Nexrex.8273

It truly baffles me how easy it is to ignore this issue from the developers. I would think that adding a simple physical slider for something that is already a part of the game code (try switching to windowed mode and drag the horizontal size of the window to see how flawlessly the game switches fov) would be a priority when it would affect people’s health when playing in a wastly positive way.

I also can not understand how this issue continue to get buried in the far reaches of this forum, when it is such an easy fix, and would solve so much for so many people.

Here’s hoping the developers actually take note of this and give a response soon.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

support for a higher field of view.

i like it when the characters are tiny, like when we are fighting the claw of jormag

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charlie.8504

Charlie.8504

Absolutely agree. All I can see is GRASS and more grass, maybe a rock. It’s such a shame. just want to move the camera center-point up the Y-axis to the character’s head or maybe above. It is by default on the character’s chest, which feels horrible.

Also I would like to remove the (i will call it) “clipping-avoidance camera zooming” feature, please add a check-box for this in the UI settings too. By this I am referring to how when panning the camera around your character, the camera automatically zooms slowly (oh so slowly) in and/or out to avoid nearby objects like trees for example. What I would prefer is a more “binary” functionality where the camera instantly moves to between you and the conflicting object and instantly zooms back to its previous current set position. Or at least make this auto-zoom thing a bit faster.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DaiKahn.7358

DaiKahn.7358

Anyone having motion sickness from gaming please try one (or more) of the following, cause it works:

~ Suck and chew on some ginger rhizome (root)
~ Eat ginger lollies/candies pre-game and during
~ Drink ginger tea (not 100% sure on this one)

Basically, ginger helps to stop motion sickness. Don’t believe me? Google it and see for yourself

I hope this helps anyone unlucky enough to have gaming motion sickness

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

Anyone having motion sickness from gaming please try one (or more) of the following, cause it works:

You know what else works? Stop playing the game and tell the developer exactly why.

Seriously, people have been complaining about the GW2’s camera lag / bouncing / wrong FoV / wrong height since before BWE1. How hard can it be to give us a “normal” camera (locked to the mouse, with no laggy smoothing) and a FoV slider? The game already supports variable FoV; you can see it in boss encounters and some Vistas.

The current system has no positives, and tons of negatives. It’s harder to code, it gives a huge advantage in PvP to people with multiple monitors, causes nausea and headaches, makes us look at the ground instead of seeing the game’s scenery (which frankly is an insult to the environment artists), etc., etc..

- Al Zheimer

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Brynna Stormclaw.9621

Some acknowledgement would be nice.

I’d like to know how much longer I’m stuck playing this game with no less than 4 ibuprofen and a bin beside my desk in case I get sick.

I’m losing hope and patience.

Eris Ataxiar [HLX] – Sea of Sorrows

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Hopefully they provide some performance optimizations with the FOV slider if they add it.

Higher FOV = more stuff to render = performance loss.

That being said, I’m all for an FOV slider.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Nexrex.8273

Its part of the game code allready. Adaptive fov when multi monitor or streching window shows that.
How much work could it actually be to manually let the gamers who suffer from bad fov change the setting with a slider in options??
I truly dont understand how this can be such a hard thing to do something about.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

AlienMagi.7102

fix it fix it fix it fix it

narrow fov is also the reason nobody notices ambushes from behind in WvW

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Nexrex.8273

cosmatman.9306:
“Most MMO’s have a max zoom setting, WoW, SWTOR i think LOTRO had a max zoom setting too. It helps because it gives you more situational awareness. Me personally i like to play with a top down view, as if i’m 50 feet above and behind my character. Some games like The Secret World have a narrow FOV and short zoom, and i think the devs say they did it for immersion reasons.”

-I dont know where you got the info on The secret worlds camera and fov, but having played it, I can honestly say its one of the best FoV and camera positions in an MMO I have ever seen, the camera I placed at the right height and the FoV is near perfectly made. Lets you see the actual gameworld rather than “grass, grass, dirt, oh a rock, grass, dirt…etc”
The secret world has a great camera and FoV, and its been praised for it alot of times.

I truly hope we can get a reply on this matter of FoV soon, cause its getting to the point where I rather not play than play, for fear of getting sick.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

Camera issues and FOV have been talked about since beta. They just continually ignore the threads.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Nexrex.8273

Camera issues and FOV have been talked about since beta. They just continually ignore the threads.

Makes me sad to see this, but its so true. I had my hopes up with all the communication on issues with the game from Arenanet, and their attitude towards improving the game.
It baffles me that this is a issue we have had no decent reply on and, not even an aknowledgement that the issue exists.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MisterBNG.5908

MisterBNG.5908

Also adding my name to this. Field of View is important in every PC title where a camera moves through 3D space, without question. With variable sized monitors and desk setups, being able to customise the FOV to suit that great variety is essential.

Please, please, please add an FOV slider! I like being able to play games without feeling sick for hours after. :(

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kOfNa.6321

kOfNa.6321

I don’t even have a massive screen and sometimes I get eyestrain from the FoV. However, I will chime in with one thing. Although FoV should be increased, it should not be able to be increased to the level that only is functional for massive screens. This gives a slight, but significant advantage in PvP.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rucser.5140

rucser.5140

the extremely narrow FOV and poor camera has been a major topic since BW1, but Anet has barely addressed it, and may not have any plans to. unfortunately i know of at least 10 players who already quit playing GW2 due to the horrific camera issues. now that Pandas just came out, we have more players jumping ship, to go back to WoW’s simple and elegant camera/ui style (even though the game itself is a completely rotten dead horse at this point)

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: oryza.5039

oryza.5039

So does anyone know if there are any plans to fix the fov yet?

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: oryza.5039

oryza.5039

I take it the lack of reply means this isn’t gonna get changed anytime soon if ever…

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: psihopatbambi.5039

psihopatbambi.5039

I don’t see a problem in setting FoV to higher value and then auto downgrading it whenever you enter Heart of Mists. That would solve their problem and make their game better.

Field of View.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ayruinn.1429

Ayruinn.1429

help us Anet for the love of god