Future Playable Races

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

My few cents and reasons:
Hylek – sadly no, they are frogs, cant make running animation be a jumping animation.
Kodan – yes, cause, Norns and Charr.
Dwarfs – yes, surely not EVERYONE turned into stone, there must of been a few exiles or am i missing something lorewise? I remember them being pretty sentinent in EoTN.
Centaurs – no, i do not want a jumping horse with weird animations especially during underwater swim.
Naga – just no.
Skritt – yes, as the skritt king himself has said they are able to be quite organized in number and have goals beyond shinies.
Undead – possible, defected risen who have too much willpower?
Warden – they sure seemed motivated to kill humans in Cantha.

TL;DR : in descending order of probability: Tengu,Warden, Kodan, Skritt. Dwarves and undead after perhaps some major plot twist and expansion.
in descending order of favor: Dwarves, Skritt, Kodan, Warden, Undead, Tengu.

Also i can see Skritt is not getting enough love. Surely it is possible to make a rather interesting piece of lore for them. So let me tell you why you should consider them:
- They make improvised golems
- United they are strong
- They like shinies, dragons like shinies
- Inquest lab testing
- Nightmare Court capturing them
- The stuff about chaos energy and them rubbing some green chaos stuff on themselves
- That one skill challenge where the Skritt thinks you are a dragon and fights you
- King being under threat of assasination
- Hell there is every reason for them to make an appearance as a comic relief at least. If WoW pulls of pandas surely skritt can be pulled of as an April Fools.

Also why has no one mentioned Dredge?

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Dwarfs – yes, surely not EVERYONE turned into stone, there must of been a few exiles or am i missing something lorewise? I remember them being pretty sentinent in EoTN.

Devs confirmed that they all eventually did.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Devs have stated VERY clearly that ALL dwarves were turned into stone. Every. Single. Last. Dwarf. Across the entire world. So there is not a single dwarf that was not turned into stone.

TL;DR : in descending order of probability: Tengu,Warden, Kodan, Skritt. Dwarves and undead after perhaps some major plot twist and expansion.
in descending order of favor: Dwarves, Skritt, Kodan, Warden, Undead, Tengu.

Also why has no one mentioned Dredge?

Tengu are the most probable considering they were almost a playable race.

we know nothing about the wardens, but there is a possibility they are extinct as Cantha went xenophobic and exiled every non-human race. And since we havent seen wardens in Tyria, there’s no garuntee that they would still exist.

Kodan are possible, but not simply because “charr and norn”, there are deeper lying issues such as the race’s ability to cope with various extreme climates. So far we’ve seen one kodan outside the shiverpeaks? Perhaps a handful more? I know there’s that one kodan in lion’s arch, but i don’t think any other kodan exist outside of the snowy north. Plus the issue about a capital city for them, though that can be covered.

Skritt, i’ve already mentioned that the game would require major overhauls to lore, personal stories, models, environment (where would the capital city be? it needs it’s own instance in a no combat zone except for story instances) alongside huge advancements in skritt society and skritt technology, the kind of advancements that would take generations unless they take a potion that magically enchants the entire race with intelligence on par with the playable races.

Undead would need an even bigger overhaul of lore than the skritt to be made a playable race. The kind of overhaul that would make their chance at being a playable race near zero.

As for the dredge, the dredge despise any beings associated with the dwarves, since they were enslaved by the deldrimor dwarves. As such, the dredge would never make any form of alliance with the humans, norn or asura, making playable dredge on par with playable undead at a possibility of near zero.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Slyfer.6478

Slyfer.6478

I feel like you guys are being too strict. Adding a race does not mean that there has to be a capital, also it is not hard to add a instance entrance into some underground burrow for Skritt. Also when is a race on par with a playable race intelligence wise? Skritt seem pretty capable of having a unique personal story. You do not need a huge mind-blowing lore with roots back into GW1 to make a playable race that fits lore. Whats wrong with playing an ambitious skritt whose ambition is to slay a dragon and be remembered in skritt history books. Twine their story with asurans fighting inquest, then sylvari fighting nightmare, add some order choice bit and edit a little bit of the end-game cinematics/story. Since i do not remember Skritt even being in GW1 it means their storyline is quite flexible. Also this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skritt . I think Skritt might be the most easily implementable race.

Dredge. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dredge
Also many possibilities adding them in. They value freedom more and they are under a Soviet Union like rule. Surely there can be some personal story based off of that. Minister Shukov is the one who enslaved his own race with Inquest help. Surely there can be some plot twist where they gain freedom and make peace with surface races.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Tengu – Are the most likely of all we have seen so far, because they on par with intelligence with the other playable races, and they have their own potential capital city and territory in the game already (not available to us, but its on the map). It was also considered as a playable race in the past. They also have a very different way of thinking from the playable races (then again, so do the Skritt)

Kodan – Lower on the list, but I can see it, if Anet ever makes ‘Black Bear’ and ’Grizzley Bear" varieties instead of them all being giant polar bears. Theres not much other variety though since none of them have hair in the game, they have an even coating of fur. Maybe let us add scars or something?

Largos – Please Anet, save it for an underwater Expansion when we go lay the smackdown on the Deep Sea Dragon. We know next to nothing about these guys, except that their faces are always covered with masks(possibly since they can’t breath above water? Which would be cool, since the Largos could be the opposite of other playable races, and could wear regular helmets under water, and breathing masks above water)

Centaurs – The Animations would be wonky, and be hard to make work, plus they are constantly at war with the humans, and seeing them suddenly become a peaceful race would be wierd gamewise.

Skritt – Skritt are complete and total dimwits when they are alone. I can’t see them becoming a playable race in any way since the only way they would be smart enough to do anything except go “Shiney!!!” is if there are more than one(well, 10 or 20) of them around. Other “primitive” races include the Jotun, Ogres, Hylek, Quaggan, etc.

Dredge – (I am assuming that when we go into the Depths in a future expansion to fight the Destroyers, there will still be a bunch of stone dwarves around, and they will be friendlies) Since we are friendly to Dwarves, the Dredge automatically hate us, and want us to die. Not to mention the fact that they have allied with the Inquest and the Flame Legion in the past….yeah…..

Undead – …..THIS IS NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!!

Krait and Naga – (putting this into one) They HATE other races, and the Krait regularly enslave not just the Quaggan but other races as well. They are enemies just like the Dredge. The Naga are probably extinct in Cantha because of their no non-humans policy.

A New Race entirely – Shoot, this is just as possible at this point, Since the Charr and Norn are pretty limited to the Shiverpeaks and Ascalon, and so are the Tengu in the center of the map. The Asura might have a far flung city somewhere thanks to their asura gates. All Playable Sylvari all come from the Pale Tree, but there is a Sylvari in the game that came from a different Tree. Other than that, outside the Tyrian Continent, there are lots and lots of humans. We don’t know what else lives out there.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

I feel like you guys are being too strict. Adding a race does not mean that there has to be a capital, also it is not hard to add a instance entrance into some underground burrow for Skritt. Also when is a race on par with a playable race intelligence wise? Skritt seem pretty capable of having a unique personal story. You do not need a huge mind-blowing lore with roots back into GW1 to make a playable race that fits lore. Whats wrong with playing an ambitious skritt whose ambition is to slay a dragon and be remembered in skritt history books. Twine their story with asurans fighting inquest, then sylvari fighting nightmare, add some order choice bit and edit a little bit of the end-game cinematics/story. Since i do not remember Skritt even being in GW1 it means their storyline is quite flexible. Also this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skritt . I think Skritt might be the most easily implementable race.

Actually adding a race does mean adding a capital. It’s necessary because it dictates the ability for the race to have a significant political stance in tyria, being able to bring along the forces and group work needed to aid other races. Charr, Asura, Sylvari, Norn and Humans all display that capability of group work and working with others in a longstanding alliance while being able to display both intellectual and societal advancements that give them the stance of being a greater race (as opposed to the skritt, hylek, quaggan, ogre and grawl being lesser races). Yes, the skritt are very capable of becoming intelligent creatures and advancing a society to match the greater races, but only when they are in groups. This ultimately puts into question their ability to function as a playable character when separated from others of their race, as skritt, if i’m not mistaken, are almost always in groups, the wiki article itself says so. Bringing the skritt to the stance of a greater race would mean significant changes to their society, their culture and their ability to perform meaningful tasks on an individual basis. Also it would mean significant amounts of new voice acting and a revamp of the personal story as well.

It’s entirely within the realm of possibility, but is it feasible to change an entire race from the ground up, both lore wise and video game wise? more than likely not. At the very least not all in one go, as i’m sure if they’re going to add new races, they’ll add personal storylines for those races too, but it’s different adding a race that there’s no information about within the last few decades in game lore, because anything can be added and made up, however restructuring an entire race that already has a significant presence within the world, and who rely on groups to gather intelligence rather than individual personal advancements? that would take quite a bit of lore breaking.

Another thing to think of is the size of the race if it would become playable.

Humans have bandits, sepratists and the ministry guard who make up a minority of the entire human presence in the game.

the rebel groups of charr against the charr-human peace treaty and the flame legion also make up a minority of the species.

The nightmare court makes up a minority of the sylvari species, at a somewhat known percentage between 10-15.

the inquest again make a minority of the asura

and the sons of svanir make a minority of the norn species.

The problem with adding the skritt would be to make the majority of the race friendly towards every species, if not exactly kind or caring. the skritt as a whole are largely disorganised, with pockets sprouting everywhere on the continent. They would need a centralised government (or somethin similar to the charr where there are different legions, but the three legions together form an almost central government), and with the skritt, that would be a bit far fetched to make happen, as primarily they grow more intelligent the more of them there are, but once separated, that intelligence diminishes because that’s how the race works.

If you can find a way to get around that, by all means go for it, but the races have to have a significant political impact, as the 5 major races currently have and the tengu would no doubtedly have upon their full introduction into the world.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Fauns!

WHAT?? – u think I guess…

Well here comes my idea… I’ll answer the questions below…

- is a potential story possible to be made up?

• Yes, they could have been driven away by the Centaurs and held prisoners for a long time… Part of them escaped and stayed hidden till in the woods till they gained in numbers. They decided it’s time to face their enemy and to do so this peaceful race ,that have never used armed force before, decided to do so… It’s time to be brave before The Shatterer, Jormag and Centaurs becomes the end of their very existance! They are cunning in nature magic, storytelling and music.

- is there a capital city for them?

• Yes, they could live up in the North in a small city hidden in the forest – a tribe-like Place in the yet not opened area of the map. A-net could possibly come up with a good name for it.

- does the capital city have potential for a race?

*I Think there would be room for Fauns in LA. A curious peaceful race beginning to offer a helping hand when it’s needed the most!

- do character models match?

• I Think A-net could make interesting looks of fauns that would fit into the World. There are Centaurs, Minotaurs, Griffins… so why not – Fauns… I Think it wouldn’t be too hard to create armour that fits their body type. The size/height of them could be something between human and norn.

- Whatabout Racial skills?

• Yes. There can be cool skills. Like high frequesnt stomping to shake/rattle ground – causing cripple… Playing cunfusing Music with a flute…. Headbutting – causing knockback or knockdown. Leaps to escape tricky situations…

- who is the potential enemy?

• Centaurs. And Other fauns (name?) that now works for the centaurs and help them catching slaves…. Trolls could also pose a problem for them in the Woods.

- how is the race effected by the dragons?

• Squeezed between Centaurs, and their slavary into death, and the corruption of Jormag and the risk of ending up as branded by The Shatterer has now forced this race to act! Thye choose to come out from their hiding place and help the other races to fight their and the other races biggest threat! That would benefit not only them but all the other races as well!

Plz let me know what u Think!

Attachments:

Kima & Co

(edited by Frostfang.5109)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This thread went outright into becoming absolutely ridiculous imo

I’m still at the opinion, that it would be absolutely best for the game as whole to make just only completely new and unique playable races, which add to the games unique flair of the Charr, Asura, Norn and Sylvari.

The Tengu are currently of all races in GW2 the absolute next best choice to follow as a playable race. All of the rest after that is just junk, outright impossible either lorewise considering all of the lesser npc races or animation mechanics and many other reasons, but people keep on being stubborn as they want to desperately see just their most beloved races becoming playable, even if it would totally ruin the whole game’s lore forever.

Completely new races are always best to implement into a game, because they are new, they are fresh and from absolute everything the most easiest kind of races to be implemented into a game like GW2, as there are no lore or gameplay restrictions bonded to them, which could make their implementation just impossible from the start on…

GW2 is neither World of Warcraft, nor Chronicles of Narnia or Lords of the Rings Online. GW2 is GW2 and by that beign said, it should STAY THIS WAY.
GW2 can only keep its own setting, if the playable races in this game stay unique to this game and are of same quality like the Asuras, the Charr or the Sylvari.

From all possible races, this quality just reaches only the Tengu so far.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

I just want to play as Kodan and Largos. That’s all. I want to punish Jormag for taking the North with a Kodan and search the depths for the DSD as a Largos. C:

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

Well Orpheal… If u Think Tengu are unique – Think again….. They origin from old Asian folk lore…. Google “tengu” and see for u’rself…

By unique, he means relatively unused within high fantasy video games (like this one). Also, the culture surrounding the tengu is unique compared to the culture of most, if not all other races in most other high fantasy video games.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jayw.1045

Jayw.1045

I’m all for the kodan and the tenju. I think they would make an excellent addition to the game. And as much as i’d want to play a centaur =/ it’s just not right or lore friendly.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Just bring Dwarves back..

Attachments:

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

Google “Tengu Doa”… There u have tengu in a game… its not a fantasy game but it’s still a game… and I think fauns have an equal big (not) part in the Narnia game…

So far I havnt found any role playing game/hight fantasy game where u can customize u’r character with any of those races in it……

You apparently didn’t understand what i said. I said relatively unused, that means that it hasn’t been used in the majority of video games. “Tengu Doa” is from ONE game and it’s not even a playable race. While you could draw comparisons to the arrakoa of WoW, the Aracoix of shadowbane and the various birdmen species in EQ and EQ2 (I do a lot of wiki reading O_O), i doubt their cultures are anything that resembles even slightly the culture of the tengu in GW and GW2. Also aren’t fauns practically satyrs? Istaria has a satyr race that is customisable and playable.

But regardless, the point was for GW2 to remain unique in that it didn’t implement the various races that have become stereotypes of fanatsy, such as elves, dwarves (which they did implement, but have made significant effort to remove) and orcs.

Now for truly unique races, the largos qualify at the very least in regards to looks, their naming somewhat resembles Arabic names (I would know, I’m Egyptian), and their culture reminds me of D&D drow (dark elves) with the houses, concordates and (from a human point of view, doubt the charr care unless a tribune is a target for assassination) questionable moral outlooks.

To shorten what could have been a very long post, there is very little culture wise that can be made truly unique unless we throw out what we would consider moral obligations, in which case you run the risk of making a race look evil.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

So to summarize everything:

Tengu – Most likely the next playable race.
Kodan – Less likely, but it would be awesome!
Hylex – About as likely as the Kodan, but again, would still be really fun to play as a giant frog!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

I would love Hyleck simply for the frog knight’s I used to read about in fairytales in elementary school. And Dredge. Rebel mole people is win.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

Hylex – About as likely as the Kodan

No, Hylek are just as likely as skritt. Kodan have a much better chance than both the hylek and skritt.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

Yeah, I’d seriously doubt any of the minor races being playable. They are even in your personal story as a weak race you have to help somehow as the big hero, who returns later and assists a bit: here.

I can’t really see any other big races being candidates for playable as either the Tengu (which I personally think are a bit dull), Kodan and Largos. And of course the option of introducing new races. Centaurs, harpies, etc, will never ever happen since Anet has stated their status as a “dark” race, alas.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

in regards to future races not being able to be part of the original story line , look back at the original guild wars , and how the expansions worked. characters from other campaigns could get a quest at some point to go to one of the other maps (campaigns) and help there , arriving as help from across the sea , etc. its not fully impossible for this to be done here as well , say have the initial areas then make that choice of which faction , then go to LA. its not impossible tbh , its up to the devs taste in wanting to make that work or not….i would like to see it , but not holding my breath if there has been statements from devs that theyre against the idea….>.<

and in regards to not wanting to make new lvl 1 areas , and seperating ppl from other areas and such……it sorta already happens …..i mean as far as if you go to LA you can get put in an overflow channel (ie not even your worlds channel) so you ARE technically segregated from the rest of the world you play on……..lots of controdictions here…..

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

SKRITT! Please for the love of the shiniest shinnies! I think the way to get around the lack of intelligence and the need for more developed character models is to introduce the idea of a new race of more advanced, slightly bigger “sea rat” skritt pirates that dock their boats and set up a capital city sea port in one of the zones. GW2 is already obsessed with pirates, it would fit perfectly. These more advanced, aggressive scallywag skritt, known as “Highborn Skritt” or “Sea Skritt” are descended from the ancient skritt ancestors and look down on their inferior cousins. They are Skritt of legend, capable of wielding magic and weapons. Character models would include multiple tails, eye patches, crooked ears, longer claws, patterned fur.

Some ideas for Skritt racial skills:

SLOT SKILLS:

“Skritt! I’m hit!”
Fake your own death, giving the outside appearance to foes and mobs that you are completely dead. You can spring back to life at anytime (or when the effect runs out in 60 seconds) with regeneration.

“Strength in Numbers”
Call a swarm of sea rats to attack the target and everything in an AOE circle around the target. The swarm will follow the target if the target moves. Lasts 2 seconds. Applies confusion, poison, and weakness.

“Lab Rat”
Ooze conditions around you and leave a trail of slippery condition applying goo (poison, fire, chill, vulnerability) that randomly applies either a knockdown or sticky glue.

ELITE SKILLS:

“I Wants The Shiny!”
Use a Skritt made magnet to yank your foe’s weapon out of their hands into yours and hit them with it in a leaping or ranged attack. Temporarily removes main-hand weapon dam and skin from your foe, and gives it to you. Useful for three hits. On mobs with no weapon, it’s their main attack that’s stolen.

“Plague-Spreader”
All applied conditions cannot be cleansed by foes for 15 seconds.

I made a post about this which you can read here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Make-Skritt-a-playable-race/first#post1595207

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

(edited by Entropy.4732)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

No, Hylek are just as likely as skritt. Kodan have a much better chance than both the hylek and skritt.

I disagree. All it takes to make the hylek playable is to designate one hyleck village as the “capitol city” the same way they did with the Norn. The Norn have no centralized government. Nor do they all give fealty to one ruler. They simply brofist Knut for allowing everyone into his own personal village. So one hylek village chief would substitute perfectly.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i was actually pretty unhappy that charr were a playable race , i do so hate them completly that i would delete the entire charr race from the game just for 1 day of mass charr cub slaying, stop making the bad guys into playable characters, they are BAD GUYS for a reason

so out of a new expansion these are what i would tolerate as new playable races
cantha: luxon, kurzick, imperial and tengu

elona: sunspear, kournan, vabbian

crystal desert: elonian ghosts

maguuma waist: druids

far north: nothing, there are no viable playable races in that area

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Duke Nukem.6783

I disagree. All it takes to make the hylek playable is to designate one hyleck village as the “capitol city” the same way they did with the Norn. The Norn have no centralized government. Nor do they all give fealty to one ruler. They simply brofist Knut for allowing everyone into his own personal village. So one hylek village chief would substitute perfectly.

thats the exact kind of linear gameplay i dont want, instead of doing the same boring “capital city” idea over again why not let the player choose their starting location in character creation

but i would still prefer the hylek not be playable at all

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

thats the exact kind of linear gameplay i dont want, instead of doing the same boring “capital city” idea over again why not let the player choose their starting location in character creation

I would prefer them playable but not having a designated starting area would be shafting the new race,. As it is, it is entirely easy to just move to any other starter area that you want from your own city. Not having a city seems more lazy to me than boring. Since having a captiol city already provides the same benefit as not having one. But now, it just wouldn’t have the lore and background of the new race since those other starter areas are dedicated to the race that own them. without a starter area, you have no connection to the lore of your people, your culture. nothing but a different skin in a zone that has nothing to do with your character.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

The Norn still hold more political significance, have a more advanced society and better technological advancements than the Hylek, despite their lack of centralised government.

The Hylek don’t really have anything to contribute without a major overhaul to their societal structure and without advancing to a technological level similar to the playable races.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

Yeah, I’d seriously doubt any of the minor races being playable. They are even in your personal story as a weak race you have to help somehow as the big hero, who returns later and assists a bit: here.

I can’t really see any other big races being candidates for playable as either the Tengu (which I personally think are a bit dull), Kodan and Largos. And of course the option of introducing new races. Centaurs, harpies, etc, will never ever happen since Anet has stated their status as a “dark” race, alas.

You are correct in your opinion of playable races. The Largos are a new race, they could also fill that void. I think we’ll see those 3 become playable before Anet creates another new (Unheard of) race when the Largos already have that covered.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Midnight Gypsy.9360

Midnight Gypsy.9360

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Largos-MUST-be-a-new-race/page/5#post2437480

5 pages of debate for and against the Largos can be found here.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

The Norn still hold more political significance, have a more advanced society and better technological advancements than the Hylek, despite their lack of centralised government.

The Hylek don’t really have anything to contribute without a major overhaul to their societal structure and without advancing to a technological level similar to the playable races.

And other races have more politacal influence, more advanced society, and better technological advancement than the norn. That doesn’t disqualify the norn from being playable. The playable races aren’t equal and aren’t intended to be, lorewsie. Norn are generally stronger than everyone else. that doesn’t disqualify all the other races from being playable. In fact, every other race got their playable engineer class form the charr. So just interacting with the charr gave everyone a recent boost in technology. But the Hylek already contribute their own expertise to the playable races. We go to them because of their superior knowledge of poisons.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Duke Nukem.6783

I would prefer them playable but not having a designated starting area would be shafting the new race,. As it is, it is entirely easy to just move to any other starter area that you want from your own city. Not having a city seems more lazy to me than boring. Since having a captiol city already provides the same benefit as not having one. But now, it just wouldn’t have the lore and background of the new race since those other starter areas are dedicated to the race that own them. without a starter area, you have no connection to the lore of your people, your culture. nothing but a different skin in a zone that has nothing to do with your character.

you still have a starter area, its just smaller and it allows for each starter village to have its own lore, and as for it being a disadvantage….they could still have asura gates…..besides, equal is boring, dont be afraid to try new things

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

you still have a starter area, its just smaller and it allows for each starter village to have its own lore, and as for it being a disadvantage….they could still have asura gates…..besides, equal is boring, dont be afraid to try new things

I’m not afraid to try new things. I understood that your idea was for no starter area. I stated the problem I see with that. If you are now clarifying to say that there is a starter area all over the world but it just isn’t the same as the other starter areas, Im okay with that because it provides the same benefits without shafting any new race. homogenization can get boring. That’s why I like that a-net didn’t make the different races equal in all things, lorewise. But I’m not in favor of any halfhearted attempt to add a new race without putting an equal amount of effort into their implementation.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

I want to play with quaggans… quaggan eles would be so awesome <3

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gaag.6538

Gaag.6538

centaurs would be interesting and also kodan, in fact I was sure the Kodan would be playable when I first heard of them, too bad I was wrong.

I love the idea of Tengu (I would make a mean vulture looking one) as a playable race.

and maybe even the krait, they r a race affected by the dragons in the same way as quaggan, asurans and skritt. the krait are simply too reclusive to seek help on other races, but that could chnage if they get desperate enough.

the largos? they just dont sound very interesting to me, I would rather see the dwarf make a comeback even though it is obvious anet isnt font to the idea, that could still change though.

I wouldnt mind an entirelly new race

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

ZachariahtheBullfrog.5302

I could see the Hylek being divided into 3 different villages or, something. like the Charr have their legions. One could specialize in poisons and stuff (for Thievs, and maybe Engineers), one could specialize in magic, and the other in martial skills. (guardian & warrior).

I could also see the same thing for the Kodan, considering how they both have similar forms of government.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Okiru.7635

Okiru.7635

Any new race added to any game requires armor skin adjustments along with weapon animations. That is not a reason to exclude any race from being added.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I don’t Think Kodan, Skritt, Hylek or Quaggan will ever be playable races… Why?

Think customization! How many variations of looks kan u give those races… All players would look almost the same if u just think of the character itself…

Kodan are all White, have no hairstyles and no fur patterns… Nor warpaint…

Skritt – all Brown grey-ish mice with no hair or other interesting variety in looks…

Hylek – they do have different skin colors but that’s pretty much it…

Quaggan – also have a few shades of skin colors but apart from that pretty much all look the same.

Other races such as largos and centaurs… Largos is considered a very dark race I think… (and to me they look plain ugly – I dont know what u think though). And centaurs are also evil… and would cause a huge armour problem to say the least…

I Think the most likely race to be playable is any of the existing ones would be Tengu if any… There u can vary feathers, colors, beaks, and so on…

I still keep my finger x’ed for something entirely new such as – Fauns (must admit I love them!)

Kima & Co

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Kodan are all White, have no hairstyles and no fur patterns… Nor warpaint…

Actually, at least one kodan has black tribal-style markings on their fur. If they were made into PCs, I could see more doing that. Say they’re picking it up from the norn, if nothing else. Add in some faces that have slightly different looks and maybe a few scars, and you might have enough to make it work.

As for any of the other races, there could easily be a more advanced group living somewhere that we’ve yet to come into contact with. Perhaps the dwarves have “improved” some skirtt to make them more useful, and we’ll run into them when we get to the underground dragon? Or maybe we’ll run into a bunch of quaggan mystics as we head out to find the sea dragon?

Still, I see Tengu as the clear winners in the “who’s next” contest.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rangtsulfatu.8042

Rangtsulfatu.8042

I think most of the arguments given why a race could never become playable are completely wrong themselves.

- Customization: The only race confirmed to have been a candidate for playable race in the current game all look identical as well. All white birds with black pony tales. The fact that they all look identical now just means they haven’t been further developed, which they will be when/if they become playable.

- Evil races: Except for the Krait, I haven’t seen one inherently evil race. (keep in mind that I never played GW1) Of some races we haven’t seen any good ones, but that is mostly because the playable races are allies of their mortal enemies and by extension also their enemies. Centaurs are at war with humans and Dredge were once enslaved by the Dwarves. Keep in mind that Humans and Charr were mortal enemies not to long ago as well. If they can settle their differences, why not Centaurs or Dredge?
There even is one Centaur living in Lion’s Arch who was banished from his tribe for suggesting to make peace with the humans.

- Unintelligent races: Except for the Skritt, none of the races are less intelligent than the current playable once. They may have different habits or a different way of speaking, but so are the differences between us humans in the real world. Don’t forget how white people used to treat black and Asian people. Calling a Hylek or a Quaggan dumb is just as racist as calling an African bushman dumb.
As for Skritt. They have shown to be capable enough to help the players fight Zhaitan in Orr, so we can assume, however dumb they may be on their own, they are still not to dumb to be a playable race.

Centaurs can’t swim: I wouldn’t know since I have never seen a Centaur swim. I have seen horses swim (IRL, since we all know they aren’t in the game) and they don’t move much different from any other animal in the water. So if, for example, snow leopards can swim (ranger anyone?) why wouldn’t Centaurs be able to?

Naga can’t wear shoes: So? Those things Charr have on their feet don’t look exactly like what my Sylvari is wearing either. Maybe Anet can come up with an alternative for shoes on the Naga? They have to make different skins for each piece of clothing for every race now anyway.

That said I’d like to give a list of races I think might become playable in the future:
- Skritt
- Quaggan
- Hylek
- Grawl
- Ogre
- Kodan
- Tengu
- Troll
- Centaur
- Largos
- Dredge
- Dwarves*
- Jotun*
- Forgotten*
- Mursaat*
- Seers*

• * They fought the elder dragons last time and although four of them are said to be extinct now, evidence that they are still alive seems to pop up from time to time, so we might run in to them in an expansion/Cantha/Elona.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Duke Nukem.6783

I think most of the arguments given why a race could never become playable are completely wrong themselves.

- Customization: The only race confirmed to have been a candidate for playable race in the current game all look identical as well. All white birds with black pony tales. The fact that they all look identical now just means they haven’t been further developed, which they will be when/if they become playable.

- Evil races: Except for the Krait, I haven’t seen one inherently evil race. (keep in mind that I never played GW1) Of some races we haven’t seen any good ones, but that is mostly because the playable races are allies of their mortal enemies and by extension also their enemies. Centaurs are at war with humans and Dredge were once enslaved by the Dwarves. Keep in mind that Humans and Charr were mortal enemies not to long ago as well. If they can settle their differences, why not Centaurs or Dredge?
There even is one Centaur living in Lion’s Arch who was banished from his tribe for suggesting to make peace with the humans.

- Unintelligent races: Except for the Skritt, none of the races are less intelligent than the current playable once. They may have different habits or a different way of speaking, but so are the differences between us humans in the real world. Don’t forget how white people used to treat black and Asian people. Calling a Hylek or a Quaggan dumb is just as racist as calling an African bushman dumb.
As for Skritt. They have shown to be capable enough to help the players fight Zhaitan in Orr, so we can assume, however dumb they may be on their own, they are still not to dumb to be a playable race.

Centaurs can’t swim: I wouldn’t know since I have never seen a Centaur swim. I have seen horses swim (IRL, since we all know they aren’t in the game) and they don’t move much different from any other animal in the water. So if, for example, snow leopards can swim (ranger anyone?) why wouldn’t Centaurs be able to?

Naga can’t wear shoes: So? Those things Charr have on their feet don’t look exactly like what my Sylvari is wearing either. Maybe Anet can come up with an alternative for shoes on the Naga? They have to make different skins for each piece of clothing for every race now anyway.

That said I’d like to give a list of races I think might become playable in the future:
- Skritt
- Quaggan
- Hylek
- Grawl
- Ogre
- Kodan
- Tengu
- Troll
- Centaur
- Largos
- Dredge
- Dwarves*
- Jotun*
- Forgotten*
- Mursaat*
- Seers*

• * They fought the elder dragons last time and although four of them are said to be extinct now, evidence that they are still alive seems to pop up from time to time, so we might run in to them in an expansion/Cantha/Elona.

ok u narrowed it down to…..every race in the game thats not a wild animal good job

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Kodan, Tengu, Largos, definitely. Enough said.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gizmo.8623

Gizmo.8623

Tengu, Hylek, Kodan – in this order.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

What am I reading in this forum. . . is this game really in need of 30 more races?
I think the open world will also be very funny seeing skritt-players killing skritts for events or quests. Logic . . . you heard about it?

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

I think the open world will also be very funny seeing skritt-players killing skritts for events or quests. Logic . . . you heard about it?

The same kinda logic that has humans killing humans, charr killing charr, asura killing asura, etc, etc. :P

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

The same kinda logic that has humans killing humans, charr killing charr, asura killing asura, etc, etc. :P

Humans kill special humans, Charrs kill special charrs, asura’s kill special asura’s.
Skritts never kill othere skritts usually.

Why? Skritt intelligence depends on the amount of skritt living together. The more skritt live together the more clever they are.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Sorry to say this but Luxon and Kurzick were both destroyed by the Emperor so no go for factions there.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

The centaurs aren’t inherently evil, they just despise humans with a passion, thus making them unplayable until the centaurs and humans make up for it.

I can’t believe you honestly played the racism card for a video game species and compared it to real life racism. Just that alone throws your argument out the window in my opinion, but I will continue on about this point as if you hadn’t said that.

The differences between the lesser species (skritt, hylek, ogres, quaggan and grawl) and the greater species (the 5 playable races) are pretty massive.

Comparitively, the norn are the closest culture wise to the lesser species, but they still have a hell of a lot more political impact than the lesser races, alongside an improved intelligence over the lesser races and, admittedly, their far superior strength and the hero aspect that all norn carry.

Hylek only have their alchemical mastery with poisons and antidotes to contribute to other races. Their society and cutures aren’t as advanced as the greater races. Their tribes can almost never cooperate, and as the wiki states, the hylek fall short in every aspect except their mastery of poisons and antidotes.

Skritt are only intelligent in large numbers, thus making individual skritt really dumb and making them unplayable at the same time.

The Quaggan’s entire society is mostly peace based, they rarely get into combat because of their destructive ‘alter egos’ that they, as a society, try to keep from coming out. They’ve even surrendered just to avoid fighting. While the quaggan do help in the personal story, they as a society would rather avoid fighting.

The grawl simply have no uniting factors and they’re scavengers too. While they can be helpful, i doubt they’d ever, as a race, become an aid in any kind of warfare. I doubt the grawl even have adventurer types.

Ogres are slightly above the grawl in cultural advancements and intelligence, but they still don’t have the intelligence that the other races have.

- Skritt as described above, they won’t be playable
- Quaggan as described above, they won’t be playable
- Hylek*as described above, they won’t be playable*
- Grawl*as described above, they won’t be playable*
- Ogre*as described above, they won’t be playable*
- Kodan Possibly, though we don’t know for sure
- Tengu Most likely, because they were considered to be a playable race originally
- Troll No way. They don’t even have anything close to a society that we know of and they lack the intelligence of a single isolated skritt
- Centaur No chance until they change their views against humans
- Largos We simply have no clie for this one, though i believe that they might also be a possibility
- Dredge Again, no way until they change their views against the allies of the dwarves
- Dwarves* I doubt very much that they’d ever become playable, atleast not until we are going to go underground to face primordis
- Jotun* Whatever advanced culture they had to fight against the elder dragons, they lost centuries ago
- Forgotten* They’ve vanished, but we don’t know if we’ll see them again.
- Mursaat* No way, last time the elder dragons rose, the Mursaat ABANDONED the other races and 250 years ago, they sacrificed humans to keep a gate closed and as a whole think of the other races as beneath them.
- Seers* There’s been no sign of them at all since the last event with the white mantle and their entire race may even be extinct, it’s far from likely we’ll ever see an npc Seer that’s not part of a fractal.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Rangtsulfatu.8042

The centaurs aren’t inherently evil, they just despise humans with a passion, thus making them unplayable until the centaurs and humans make up for it.

So, basicly the same reason why the Charr will never ever become a playable race?

I never said the will become a playable race, nor did I say I would like it. I just said we can’t yet rule them out completely.

I can’t believe you honestly played the racism card for a video game species and compared it to real life racism. Just that alone throws your argument out the window in my opinion, but I will continue on about this point as if you hadn’t said that.

The differences between the lesser species (skritt, hylek, ogres, quaggan and grawl) and the greater species (the 5 playable races) are pretty massive.

Comparitively, the norn are the closest culture wise to the lesser species, but they still have a hell of a lot more political impact than the lesser races, alongside an improved intelligence over the lesser races and, admittedly, their far superior strength and the hero aspect that all norn carry.

Hylek only have their alchemical mastery with poisons and antidotes to contribute to other races. Their society and cutures aren’t as advanced as the greater races. Their tribes can almost never cooperate, and as the wiki states, the hylek fall short in every aspect except their mastery of poisons and antidotes.

Skritt are only intelligent in large numbers, thus making individual skritt really dumb and making them unplayable at the same time.

The Quaggan’s entire society is mostly peace based, they rarely get into combat because of their destructive ‘alter egos’ that they, as a society, try to keep from coming out. They’ve even surrendered just to avoid fighting. While the quaggan do help in the personal story, they as a society would rather avoid fighting.

The grawl simply have no uniting factors and they’re scavengers too. While they can be helpful, i doubt they’d ever, as a race, become an aid in any kind of warfare. I doubt the grawl even have adventurer types.

Ogres are slightly above the grawl in cultural advancements and intelligence, but they still don’t have the intelligence that the other races have.

Again, you seem to mis my point. First of all, I compare to the real world because I can’t find anything in the game to compare to. And second, there isn’t much in the game that is not based on real world races. Norn culture = Viking culture, Hylek culture = Mayan culture, Grawl culture = bushmen culture,…

What I was trying to say was that just because they are not “evolved” like the playable races doesn’t mean they are to dumb to get evolved.

- Skritt
- Quaggan
- Hylek
- Grawl
- Ogre
- Kodan
- Tengu
- Troll
- Centaur
- Largos
- Dredge
- Dwarves
- Jotun
- Forgotten
- Mursaat
- Seers

I never said I want these races to become playable. I said I see no evidence to completely rule them out. Maybe future expansions will give us more information about these races so we can rule them out. Of course I don’t want half of them to become playable because I don’t think they will add anything to the game. But I won’t complain if they add the (in my opinion) wrong race.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Dustfinger.9510

Humans kill special humans, Charrs kill special charrs, asura’s kill special asura’s.

Why? Skritt intelligence depends on the amount of skritt living together. The more skritt live together the more clever they are.

Asura start out clever and still don’t always get along. So I doubt cleverness is the factor. The truth is we don’t know why skritt usually never kill other skritt. It may easily just be because all the skritt we come across belong to the same individual groups that we are either killing or freinds with. So our skritt allied groups would have no problems killing rival skritt groups because those rival skritt groups would qualify as “special skritt” just like all the other races that kill themselves.

it all goes back to the same conversation between the hyleck and the asura

Asura: Why do you kill other hyleck, wouldn’t it be easier to work together?

Hyleck: Do asura crews always get along?

Asura: Point taken.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

castlemanic.3198

So, basicly the same reason why the Charr will never ever become a playable race?

I never said the will become a playable race, nor did I say I would like it. I just said we can’t yet rule them out completely.

Did you see the part where i wrote “until they sort out their differences”? Meaning that i never ruled them out to begin with.

Again, you seem to mis my point. First of all, I compare to the real world because I can’t find anything in the game to compare to. And second, there isn’t much in the game that is not based on real world races. Norn culture = Viking culture, Hylek culture = Mayan culture, Grawl culture = bushmen culture,…

What I was trying to say was that just because they are not “evolved” like the playable races doesn’t mean they are to dumb to get evolved.

That doesn’t mean you resort to use the term racism to prove your point. And there isn’t much in ANY fictional universe (books, movies, games etc) that isn’t based off of something.

And there’s a difference between evolutionary disadvantages (such as the skritt) and a lack of societal advancement (such as the hylek).

The skritt in and of themselves can never be a playable race as they are dumber the fewer there are, making individual skritt becoming adventurers something that won’t ever happen.

Hylek however do not have that evolutionary disadvantage, however they still fall short of the societal standards that would make them a powerful political force.

And true, none of that means that the lesser races can’t evolve, but evolution takes a hell of a lot of time, meaning that unless GW2 stays playable until 2040, we’re not going to see any sort of advancement in those societies, atleast nothing that wasn’t magical or scientific in nature.

I never said I want these races to become playable. I said I see no evidence to completely rule them out. Maybe future expansions will give us more information about these races so we can rule them out. Of course I don’t want half of them to become playable because I don’t think they will add anything to the game. But I won’t complain if they add the (in my opinion) wrong race.

I don’t see how you can’t see evidence to completely rule out most of those races, but i understand the point.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

The only thing that the hylek dont have is a a well organized capital. With a quik little story can easy fix that. Much like how the 3 char legions have banded together. ( even if they dont get along)
the hylek can for a simular union amongst themselfs.
And before any ine says all red and orange hylek are bad and evil that will attack any one on sight… Thats wrong they are less freindly meaning it takes alot more to gain there trust. I cant remember were but there is a red tribe that after hlping them out become verry freindly.
Storylines easy most ( not all) the hylek tribes have bannded together in a uneasy alliance in order to keep there species alive and thriving. Reds grenns blues yellows and oranges amass in their newly forge kindom in the swamp and prepair then selves…
That it for now sooo hard to type on ma phone.
but ya any one who says hylek cannot be playable psh you sir r a closed minded fool.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Asura start out clever and still don’t always get along. So I doubt cleverness is the factor. The truth is we don’t know why skritt usually never kill other skritt. It may easily just be because all the skritt we come across belong to the same individual groups that we are either killing or freinds with. So our skritt allied groups would have no problems killing rival skritt groups because those rival skritt groups would qualify as “special skritt” just like all the other races that kill themselves.

it all goes back to the same conversation between the hyleck and the asura

Asura: Why do you kill other hyleck, wouldn’t it be easier to work together?

Hyleck: Do asura crews always get along?

Asura: Point taken.

True thing that asura’s are intelligent and still don’t get along.

Then again you don’t need multiple Asura’s to get the intelligence.
Skritt need other Skritts to increase their intelligence. A skritt killing another skritt is like an Asura asking to kill his intelligence. There are no Asura’s killing their intelligence.

Future Playable Races

in Suggestions

Rangtsulfatu.8042

True thing that asura’s are intelligent and still don’t get along.

Then again you don’t need multiple Asura’s to get the intelligence.
Skritt need other Skritts to increase their intelligence. A skritt killing another skritt is like an Asura asking to kill his intelligence. There are no Asura’s killing their intelligence.

Difference is that Asura value intelligence. Al long as intelligence isn’t shiny, Skritt don’t. If a Skritt wants a shiny, he’d just as easily trade it for it’s own brain, so I don’t think he would mind killing an other Skritt for it.