Give us capes already

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

How can you have an mmo without capes?

We have a backpiece, give us capes i know the reason why we don’t have them must be because anet was having clipping issues, well thats no excuse if every other mmo can do it, so can you! Just release a beta version of them and ofcourse they will be some clipping issues because its hard to oversee every weapon/armor combination their is.

This can be fixed in the non beta version after the community reports known clipping issues.

Capes can / will / should go in the backpiece slot, and will have a bunch of different “styles” perhaps you could have the style “linked” with the chest piece the user is wearing? I’d rather it not be but this may help with some clipping issues ?

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I’d rather get wings. But that’d be ridiculous.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s an animation issue, a HUGE one. If you want a cape that sits flat on your back like a board and either disappears or clips everytime you move, sure, that can be done. If you want one that doesn’t look ugly as sin… and actually moves with your character like most of the games other armor pieces, that’s a problem.

The movements for a cape for dodgerolling alone would be an astronomical undertaking for any team of animators, and it would look ridiculous even if done correctly. Not to mention all the other animations in the game that are even more complicated.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

I blame the Charr

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I blame the Charr

Yeah, that tail clips through everything anyway.

The table is a fable.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

It’s an animation issue, a HUGE one. If you want a cape that sits flat on your back like a board and either disappears or clips everytime you move, sure, that can be done. If you want one that doesn’t look ugly as sin… and actually moves with your character like most of the games other armor pieces, that’s a problem.

The movements for a cape for dodgerolling alone would be an astronomical undertaking for any team of animators, and it would look ridiculous even if done correctly. Not to mention all the other animations in the game that are even more complicated.

Cloth simulations.
- They made capes for GW1. It is not so complicated that it shouldn’t have been implemented since launch, I’d say.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

capes just get you killed anyway

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Cloth simulations.
- They made capes for GW1. It is not so complicated that it shouldn’t have been implemented since launch, I’d say.

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, it very much is. But unless people are willing to pay fifty bucks for a cape there’s no way it will be worth the development time, especially in a graphics engine that makes GW1 look like an Atari game. Unless of course, they cheapen the animations in comparison with the rest of the game’s armor, personally I don’t even consider that an option and I bet the developers don’t either.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elentari.9156

Elentari.9156

capes just get you killed anyway

Win.

It’s a matter of personal preference, obviously, but I don’t mind the lack of capes. So many other games have capes, that it doesn’t really feel that special. The ascended back pieces, however, do feel special, because they are unique designs that I find visually appealing. Also I’m a bit of a clotheshorse, and capes tend to just obscure my outfits since you’re looking at your character’s back most of the time. When they introduced transmogging in WoW, I started turning off the cape texture so that I could see my outfits better.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

If we get quaggen backpacks, capes should definitely be in the game.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

I actually like the idea of wings too though lol

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Capes are pretty much a must for heavy armour and medium armour classes.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

My thief would prefer a poncho, like the one Clint Eastwood wore in the westerns. Also a cowboy hat and cigar if you please. And then theme music as a finisher …

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

ANet uses Autodesk Maya for their models and effects. I don’t see why they can’t simply make a rectangle and add Maya nCloth effects to it. This would make the capes move with the character’s movements (they added nDynamics to the quaggan backpacks, FYI. Same thing), so it isn’t an animation issue at all. The issue I see is making every armor piece and weapon have a collision variable that influenced where the cape would rest. That’s where the issue lies, I believe. Clipping wouldn’t be a problem if adding collision variables to every skin didn’t pose a real threat to FPS.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I totally agree, there should be capes in game…after all, the fact that this feature is added, does not involve that who does not want a cape must have it. So, no need to complain for that.
Besides, I play Guild Wars and I totally love my Guild cape! It’s 1000 times better than Guild armor and weapons we got in GW2 and personally, I wouldn’t mind some little clipping, for having a cape would make me happy enough not to bother with that!

\||||||/
O°v°O

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: ALeetNoob.4830

ALeetNoob.4830

Tier 3 Human has a butt-cape that moves with you…..

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Using the magical search feature I found the thread I posted in a while back. Might be useful to search next time.

Izzy gave some obscure lore-based reason as to why there will be no capes.

Might we see them in the future? Maybe, but I wouldn’t bet a dime on it.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dr Hashbrown.7104

Dr Hashbrown.7104

Capes are ugly and get in the way. What if you have a 2-handed legendary and you have no where to put it because you have your majestic tapestry on your back. Stupid curtains… Never liked them…

-Drums

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pantsdragon.5703

Pantsdragon.5703

Agreed, capes are stupid. Thank god they had a hide feature in WoW.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, it very much is. But unless people are willing to pay fifty bucks for a cape there’s no way it will be worth the development time, especially in a graphics engine that makes GW1 look like an Atari game. Unless of course, they cheapen the animations in comparison with the rest of the game’s armor, personally I don’t even consider that an option and I bet the developers don’t either.

What the hell are you talking about? The capes of GW1 were extremely light on the processor, and didn’t require any animation at all. It was all just a simplified cloth simulation, which is already being done plenty in GW2 as it is. Just look around in GW2. Look at the armors, how they move, look at trees, plants and banners. Same thing.

Dodge rolling, jumping, falling, fighting… none of that matters. Just slap a cape on your back with simple physics and that does the rest. No animation required. Much like with the Quagan backpack, that has physics. Simple jigglebones, much like the characters in Left 4 Dead 2. Easy to implement, light on the cpu.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

2nd life had a similar problem with capes.

It’s easy to do a multiple flex or even a twist for a 2D object in one dimension but when you try to do two, you need to create concave/convex surfaces.
It takes a lot of processing just to draw it. Almost as many facets to the object as if you were drawing a second figure.
Then you have to figure in the animation and how it would wrap around the multiple positions of the figure.

It isn’t a matter of simple physics. To go that road you’d have to figure the collisions between each facet of the avatar and the garment and add in some windblown fudge factors to make it look realistic.

I’ve done some work on modelling electron wave diffraction through crystals (which is an oddly similar problem as far as degrees of freedom goes) and I guess you could do it if you didn’t mind a frame rate measured in seconds-per-frame.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

2nd life had a similar problem with capes.

It’s easy to do a multiple flex or even a twist for a 2D object in one dimension but when you try to do two, you need to create concave/convex surfaces.
It takes a lot of processing just to draw it. Almost as many facets to the object as if you were drawing a second figure.
Then you have to figure in the animation and how it would wrap around the multiple positions of the figure.

That’s all a complete load of nonsense, creating a flapping cape is extremely cheap to do. Collisions can easily be kept to a minimum, and the movement of the cape can be constrained with simple numbers. There really is no need to create a complex collision model for that sort of thing. GW1 didn’t need it, and it looked fine. Capes moved along with every movement, ignoring collisions with other objects, thus making the cpu load extremely low.

To create a flapping cape, all you need is a simple plane with a two sided material (no need for a concave mesh), and jiggle bones. That’s it. Why is everyone with no experience in this field at all, making it out to be some sort of rocket science? Cape physics are so easy to do.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5aUeWC-Mo

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

That’s a simple one dimensional flexi, the sort of motion that flags make – yes, that’s easy. And in this case, it’s programmed into the animation.

Give us capes already

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lambros Augustus.6594

Lambros Augustus.6594

Capes, wings and a jet pack for the engineer.