Housing

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

So I keep hearing about Wildstar and I thought I’d go to their website to check it out. The one thing that really impressed me was the housing. For those that haven’t seen it, check out the link below and go to the first video with Dev Speak written on it.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/

That’s how you do housing. I wonder if ArenaNet could implement something like that in the future for Guild Wars 2

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

So I keep hearing about Wildstar and I thought I’d go to their website to check it out. The one thing that really impressed me was the housing. For those that haven’t seen it, check out the link below and go to the first video with Dev Speak written on it.

That’s how you do housing. I wonder if ArenaNet could implement something like that in the future for Guild Wars 2

No thats not how you do housing. It’s instance based so very boring.
Housing should happen in the open world.

This is how you do housing… including guild-halls.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I think this is how you should do housing:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Portable-door-Player-housing

I’m serious, people, it’s brilliant. Give it a read.

Housing

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

I think this is how you should do housing:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Portable-door-Player-housing

I’m serious, people, it’s brilliant. Give it a read.

I don’t really like it.. First of all I don’t like instance based housing and what he describes is instance based housings. But now lets say there is instance based housing (again, I really don’t like that). then it it’s still so that people are allowed to basically claim the same house.. so it’s not so “special” anymore (It’s not my house). In a way multiple people can have the same house. Even tho it’s only the entrance to there instance and then the instance does not have the shape of the house you entered.

Besides that.. can everybody see the door? That would be cool so people can see what you have claimed but then it would destroy the skin of many houses because all the ‘doors’ on it. If you can only see it yourself it’s still a little boring because it’s not like you can show your claim.. it’s not for nothing that when you claim something in WvW your guild banners will be on the flags. People want to show there claim.

But if you would do instance based housing it would be a much better solution than just having a button to go to that area, I agree with that but it would still be nothing (boring) compared to open world housing.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

Open world housing is one of those things that’s a great ideal to strive for… but in actuality is completely impractical unless you design an entire game around it.

Instanced housing can be good fun though. Phantasy Star Universe did it okay, with crafting boss drops into giant multiple-piece decorations that people would see when they came to your shop.

Either way, I’d get used to it, since as of next week, they’re finally starting to add to home instances (a quartz node.) They wouldn’t make you go there every day for quartz if they didn’t plan on adding more.

Housing

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

If you can’t enter random players houses anyway, then who cares that they’re instanced?

The big opportunity in the portable doors concept is that you’re not restricted to your home instance – players would be able to live anywhere in all of Tyria: Ebonhawke, Beetletun, etc. – the overlap would be minimal, and the chances that you happen to run into another player who happens to have slapped their door on the same building even slimmer.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I like how runescape did their housing back when I played it; the home is seperated from everything else, and you just have to type in the person’s name to enter their house. You can add different types of rooms and make multiple floors. Basic concept but solid.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Housing

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Basic concept but solid.

I don’t see this working for any player with an RP background.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

OOOH, I like their idea of housing.. I would love this in GW2.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: badurack.4657

badurack.4657

Does anyone know if they are even working on player housing? I am all for it. I really miss it from basically every game I have played in the last 10 years.

Housing

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

Open world housing is one of those things that’s a great ideal to strive for… but in actuality is completely impractical unless you design an entire game around it.

Instanced housing can be good fun though. Phantasy Star Universe did it okay, with crafting boss drops into giant multiple-piece decorations that people would see when they came to your shop.

Either way, I’d get used to it, since as of next week, they’re finally starting to add to home instances (a quartz node.) They wouldn’t make you go there every day for quartz if they didn’t plan on adding more.

I do not see why it has to be “build around it”. Archeage is not build around that idea but has it and it seems to be working great. You get a much more lively always changing world. That what Anet tries to achieve in GW2.

Housing

in Suggestions

Weirwynn.2390

I do not see why it has to be “build around it”. Archeage is not build around that idea but has it and it seems to be working great. You get a much more lively always changing world. That what Anet tries to achieve in GW2.

Okay… Lets say suddenly GW2 has open world player housing.

A quick googling reveals estimates of 40,000 accounts on average per server. Many of these accounts are inactive certainly, but do you take away inactive players’ houses? Are houses something you have to earn, or does every player get them? A little more googling suggests a server might be “full” at 15,000 online players. Most servers are at least medium-capacity most of the time, so we’ll call this 20,000 players playing regularly, and lets say half of them having housing.

Where in the game world do you put 10,000 houses? The Guild Wars 2 world is very big, but it’s still on a scale much, much smaller than the real world. If you place them in existing zones, then no matter where you go, you’ll be fighting harpies, minotaurs and the risen dead on someone’s front lawn.

Conversely, if you create new “housing zones”, they’ll basically be massive empty spaces with nothing but player houses—and you still need space on the map for them. Lets say each city has its own housing zone. Each one has to house about 1,700 houses.

Space isn’t the only problem, either. The mood and user experience are a big issue too. Instanced housing and instanced storylines make the player feel unique. Though you know that everyone else in the world also commands the pact, you don’t see it. Living in a slum alongside thousands of other players, though, is humbling. It’s a much more “down to earth” feel, and that’s just not what Guild Wars 2 is about.

Basically, yes. Open world housing isn’t something you can just slap on.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

This is how you do housing… including guild-halls.

I would like the wildstar version with the open world feature as long as I can fence in my property and lock my gate and my front door from uninvited guest. What would it matter anyway.. Since you can’t walk into the darn cities anyway without a loading screen. If anything Lord of the Rings online has the next best housing feature without the freakin rent. Although I do like the dimensions in Rift.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

I think that everyone is in agreement when it comes to open world housing. If it could be implemented – and real estate was locked down to certain areas you could build in that could house everyone on the server – then that would be the number one choice.

In the Wildstar video, they show you earning items for your house simply by playing the game. You can get hundreds of items from enemies that you can decorate your home with. If they do make housing, I hope they have a bit of land around the outside, so we can put things in our yard as well as in the house.

Did you see the other benefits to having a house? Log out inside your house and you get rested xp bonus. Have lots of cool items in your house and you get more rested xp bonus. Like raiding? Have a portal that takes you to the raids, plus you get a buff from your house before you go there. Trophies from major bosses or achievements can be placed in your home that tell a story about your time in Tyria. Attended a special holiday event? Get a reward you can put in your home that makes it even more unique. I think their player housing is a great idea.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

If they implement any housing I would put my money on it happening through the HoM system

Housing

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

Okay… Lets say suddenly GW2 has open world player housing.

A quick googling reveals estimates of 40,000 accounts on average per server. Many of these accounts are inactive certainly, but do you take away inactive players’ houses? Are houses something you have to earn, or does every player get them? A little more googling suggests a server might be “full” at 15,000 online players. Most servers are at least medium-capacity most of the time, so we’ll call this 20,000 players playing regularly, and lets say half of them having housing.

Where in the game world do you put 10,000 houses? The Guild Wars 2 world is very big, but it’s still on a scale much, much smaller than the real world. If you place them in existing zones, then no matter where you go, you’ll be fighting harpies, minotaurs and the risen dead on someone’s front lawn.

Conversely, if you create new “housing zones”, they’ll basically be massive empty spaces with nothing but player houses—and you still need space on the map for them. Lets say each city has its own housing zone. Each one has to house about 1,700 houses.

Space isn’t the only problem, either. The mood and user experience are a big issue too. Instanced housing and instanced storylines make the player feel unique. Though you know that everyone else in the world also commands the pact, you don’t see it. Living in a slum alongside thousands of other players, though, is humbling. It’s a much more “down to earth” feel, and that’s just not what Guild Wars 2 is about.

To answer your questions. You would mainly work with new maps.. Like I said before I would like to see them putting some spots available in the already existing maps just to get more people there. Maybe only for guilds halls.

But when implementing housing yeah indeed it would be mainly in new maps and those maps are designed around housing. Some farm area’s with some open terrain where you can build the house.

You need to earn it but basically everybody should be able to get a least a small house and then upgrade it later. Inactivity would indeed mean you would lose it.. well material can be mailed to you. It should not be destroyed but you basically lose your spot.

The number of space might be a bid of a problem mainly because maps are instance based but I still think it should be possible. Maps will be pretty empty.. maybe some forest area and when you place a house that part gets cut down. You would be building city’s.

But to really give an answer about the scale I would need exact numbers and I don’t have them so I can’t give them.. But in the end it comes down to.. x people means you need x meter of building spots is about x maps design around this idea. And if other MMO’s can do that then why would GW2 not be able to do it.

You see , the thing is, I prefer if it is really part of the game. I now like WvW but what I do not like about it is that it really is like a separate game. It is not really part of the world. If we capture something is does not really change what ‘we’ own and after a week it gets reseted. The more you put in instances the more GW2 PvE becomes a hub you are in just to go to all the other games. It’s not one big world.. and thats what I expect from an MMORPG.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Housing

in Suggestions

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I think that everyone is in agreement when it comes to open world housing. If it could be implemented – and real estate was locked down to certain areas you could build in that could house everyone on the server – then that would be the number one choice.

I’m not in agreement with this at all!

Finally, some numbers.

I don’t know if you’ve read this thread, I didn’t see your name in the list of posters anyway, but basically, this idea would address all your concerns:

Where in the game world do you put 10,000 houses? They’re already there, and could have multiple owners without them knowing of each other – same as with the commanding the pact thing.

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

I’m not in agreement with this at all!

Finally, some numbers.

I don’t know if you’ve read this thread, I didn’t see your name in the list of posters anyway, but basically, this idea would address all your concerns:

Where in the game world do you put 10,000 houses? They’re already there, and could have multiple owners without them knowing of each other – same as with the commanding the pact thing.

It’s a better idea than slapping magic doors up everywhere. I can see that getting abused by a handful of the naughty 10,000 people who would have access to it on each server. The Devs would have to blacklist every area in the game where they don’t want you to put a magic portal, which would be a lot harder than just creating some instances you can enter from existing, pre-determined buildings. If you think players won’t put doors up in areas where they can grief other players, you’re a very naive MMORPG player.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

idk would be cool if they could have player housing in the mists or something and just have it separated by districts (gw1 districts). once one district gets full it creates another. would be open world and being so players could visit each other if invited in otherwise be locked out. same with guild halls. district would pretty much just be part of your address. would allow for easy navigation to friend’s places and still allow persistent housing that you can show off easily to people passing by if you so choose.

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

Housing

in Suggestions

Weirwynn.2390

Right, that’s instanced housing, not open-world housing.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

How about a door that lets you put in a player name to go to their house? Unless you block the other person? I get that it’s instance housing but it allows for friends to have a place to go meet up and hang out, or even wait for another person. And doesn’t have an over sized population building xD.

OR you can take an asura gate from LA to a giant building with tons of rooms and tons of floors lol

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: THE DOCTOR.3510

THE DOCTOR.3510

I was thinking that their would be an instance that would have a guild hall and all the houses of people in your guild in that zone. The door idea is ok, that’s what I actually thought player housing was (this is my first mmo).

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

They could do something really great with housing, they have the right player base to support it. I see housing in games like this as a way to store memories of significant events from your adventures. If you took part in a Christmas quest and won a Christmas tree in the process, you could display it in your home. Only players who took part in it would have one, so the longer you’re around the more memorabilia you’d have in your home. It’s also nice to just customize a major asset you’ve acquired. In life there are two huge purchases you’ll make – one is a car, the other is a house. Cars in these games are like mounts and houses are houses. It’s only natural that people would like to have a house in a world where they enjoy living / spending time.

You know what would be really cool is a combat recorder. You record a fight with another player or NPC then save it to your profile. In your home you could have a large screen TV where you can replay your fights for your friends or visitors. Not just fights too, you could record how to do a jumping puzzle or even how you solo’d a Champion.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pfenning.9302

Pfenning.9302

You know what would be really cool is a combat recorder. You record a fight with another player or NPC then save it to your profile. In your home you could have a large screen TV where you can replay your fights for your friends or visitors. Not just fights too, you could record how to do a jumping puzzle or even how you solo’d a Champion.

Seriously ? A TV ?

But I really like the part with the Christmas tree

I think it would be the best to make an instance. Like the one in Divinity’s Reach. Your whole guild has access and you are neighbors or something. Or you make something apart from the guild just for the housing instance. A-housing-group with your friends (Maybe a 200+ Guild-Housing-instance would suck )

“If two wrongs don’t make a right, try three.”
-Laurence J. Peter

(edited by Pfenning.9302)

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

Well you wouldn’t call it a TV, that would be ridiculous! No, it would be a TV but you’d name it something fitting like an Asuran memory viewer. You’d disguise the TV to look like a round portal with the video playing in the middle of it.

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Well you wouldn’t call it a TV, that would be ridiculous! No, it would be a TV but you’d name it something fitting like an Asuran memory viewer. You’d disguise the TV to look like a round portal with the video playing in the middle of it.

Personal Adventure Box, if Moto ever decides to sell out. Wink

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

Is Moto a blowup doll?

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reinforcments.5713

Reinforcments.5713

You know the problem with housing in any mmo is what purpose does it serve the player?

If you want an example of how kittening useless housing is just take no further look than EQ2. It’s a literal dollhouse simulator and that’s not including the guild halls.
But they only serve limited functions and to be honest it’s more of just a juxtapose for skills you don’t have at all times.

Hell all the players are just shiftless hobos because no one actually lives in a house and, this is important, has no reason to do so.

After having left the EQ2 housing experience, i’d rather not be a homeowner unless I felt the need to spend more than a lifetime adjusting brick a brack while my rl house remains a mess.

Housing

in Suggestions

Torpian.9142

Housing in EQ2 was good, so you’re completely wrong there. Read the thread and you’ll see how housing can benefit players. I don’t do PVP but I can accept that other players do enjoy PVP so I don’t ask for it to be removed from the game. Maybe you should consider that there are other people playing the game besides yourself?

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It’s a better idea than slapping magic doors up everywhere. I can see that getting abused by a handful of the naughty 10,000 people who would have access to it on each server. The Devs would have to blacklist every area in the game where they don’t want you to put a magic portal, which would be a lot harder than just creating some instances you can enter from existing, pre-determined buildings. If you think players won’t put doors up in areas where they can grief other players, you’re a very naive MMORPG player.

You should re read the thread. I specifically stated that magic doors could only be placed in the towns that already exist. So no magic doors near dungeon entrances, or near dragon events. You could slap your magic door on any surface in Lion’s Arch, and only you and your party members would be able to see it, and enter it.

It really does address all the concerns in this thread. But yes, it is instanced housing. That is the only sensible way to go if you don’t want explorables filled with 10,000 houses.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Housing

in Suggestions

Posted by: Reinforcments.5713

Reinforcments.5713

Housing in EQ2 was good, so you’re completely wrong there. Read the thread and you’ll see how housing can benefit players. I don’t do PVP but I can accept that other players do enjoy PVP so I don’t ask for it to be removed from the game. Maybe you should consider that there are other people playing the game besides yourself?

I did and guess what…I don’t agree still.

Housing

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

You know the problem with housing in any mmo is what purpose does it serve the player?

If you want an example of how kittening useless housing is just take no further look than EQ2. It’s a literal dollhouse simulator and that’s not including the guild halls.
But they only serve limited functions and to be honest it’s more of just a juxtapose for skills you don’t have at all times.

Hell all the players are just shiftless hobos because no one actually lives in a house and, this is important, has no reason to do so.

After having left the EQ2 housing experience, i’d rather not be a homeowner unless I felt the need to spend more than a lifetime adjusting brick a brack while my rl house remains a mess.

“You know the problem with housing in any mmo is what purpose does it serve the player?” Fun, and building something something up. ‘leveling’ it. Going into the PvE world to collect materials for it.. You know like nearly all non-lethal things in RPGMMO’s do like mini’s and skins and mounts.

Anyway, I would still go for the open world housing. The Archeage system is the best housing system I have ever seen in an MMO.